Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:54:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Testimonies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  My testimony
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My testimony  (Read 3010 times)
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2004, 09:17:45 AM »

I wrote this a few months after becoming a Christian:

We all have a pretty solid idea that, in the real world, love is not enough. Yeah, sure, “Love conquers all”, “All you need is love”, “Love makes the world go ‘round” and all that nice kind of stuff is all very nice, and it’s nice to think in these terms, but let’s get real here. As nice as love is, it doesn’t really change everything and fix everything. We can’t trust it to answer all our problems. We need practical solutions.
   But what if it could? What if, somehow, it was a practical solution? Humor me here for a minute. What would that kind of love look like? It couldn’t be on the same magnitude as the love in most of our relationships, or even be of the same type; many of them seem to cause far more heartbreak and trouble than they help.
   Those loves are imperfect; it would have to be a perfect love that could change the world, and us. And with all the crap that’s in the world and in us, it would have to be unconditional, or it would never permit itself to reach us. It would have to be like the love that a parent has for their child, except infinitely deeper and infinitely more perfect and true and consistent.
   Can such a love exist as more than a nice abstraction? I’ve been learning things, looking at some things in a different way, and actually even having experiences that are leading me to believe that it just might.  I can’t prove to you that is exists, any more than you can prove to me that it doesn’t. But I can share what experiences I’ve had, if it would help.
   God as I understood Him growing up was always either no help (too distant and uninvolved), or made me feel worse (guilt and shame for my inadequacies). That God loved me was a nice abstraction, but was of little comfort and certainly wasn’t life-changing. That He really would and could love with a love that was perfect and unconditional and personal did not even cross my mind.
   I’ve only just begun to know God as the giver of perfect, unconditional love, and my life has already changed so much, and every bit for the better. I used to loathe myself, and now for the first time in a very long time, I feel as though I am a worthwhile human being, and a good person, and a loveable person. The constant weight of never-good-enough has been replaced with a happiness I never dreamed I could ever have. Rather than doing what’s right out of a sense of obligation and guilt, I’m finding myself doing it out of joy, as if it is the most natural thing in the world. I’m also no longer doing things to try to prove my worth, or to not be a complete waste of oxygen, like I was trying to before, but simply out of love. And my performance hasn’t deteriorated; I’m far more able to be the person I want to be than before. Far from perfect; I have a long way to go. But my heavy heart gets lighter and lighter the more God’s love works in it. And it has been a practical solution for me, far more effective than anything ever before.
   Maybe love doesn’t cut the mustard in coping with reality, but my experience has been that nothing else but love does. Who knows; you may find the same.
The Crusader
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 07:56:15 AM »

Amen

The constant weight of never-good-enough has been replaced with a happiness I never dreamed I could ever have. Rather than doing what’s right out of a sense of obligation and guilt, I’m finding myself doing it out of joy, as if it is the most natural thing in the world. I’m also no longer doing things to try to prove my worth, or to not be a complete waste of oxygen, like I was trying to before, but simply out of love.

And Amen

Thanks grace

<Smiley))><
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 03:56:51 PM »

a complete waste of oxygen
Wow - how totally depressing for someone to think that of themselves.  

Thank you for your testimony, Grace.

And thank You, Lord for giving us a reason to live - I mean a REAL reason...
Amen.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
The Crusader
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 06:17:03 AM »

a complete waste of oxygen
Wow - how totally depressing for someone to think that of themselves.  

Thank you for your testimony, Grace.

And thank You, Lord for giving us a reason to live - I mean a REAL reason...
Amen.

One moe Amen!!!

<Smiley))><
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 10:10:11 PM »

And, Lord, for giving us life - I mean real life!!!

And Truth, Lord, saving Truth!

Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?

In His love,

-Grace

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the