Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share A Thought
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share A Thought  (Read 35210 times)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 06:42:45 PM »

A refrigerator reminder for me:  Smiley

THANK God for what you have.....
TRUST God for what you need.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2003, 06:56:08 PM »

Grin And another nice thought: Do you remember the passage in scripture where God tells David that he's the apple of his eye?

A doctor/preacher shared some rainbow on the verse recently; he didn't say anything I didn't already know, but he said it in a way I hadn't thought of before.

The "apple" of our eye is our pupil; the Hebrew word was "Hepple" (I KNOW I didn't spell that right, lol. That's just the way it sounds).

The protective reflexes in our eyes are so strong that they are the very last things to go when we are dead. If the doctor brushes your pupil with a tissue and you don't blink...you're gone.

God cares for us so much, that he protects (keeps) us as the apple of His eye. No one could harm us or snatch us away. Only death could cause Him to leave us, and He has defeated death.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2003, 09:14:44 AM »

When was the last time you laughed for the sheer joy of your salvation? People are not attracted to somber doctrines. There is no persuasive power in a gloomy and morbid religion. Let the world see your joy and you won't be able to keep them away. To be filled with God is to be filled with joy.
~Anonymous

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2003, 09:22:05 AM »

Lips Sealed
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2003, 11:11:30 AM »

Another well-timed sighting of Lurch.  Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Mr. 5020

Proverbs 27:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2003, 01:31:23 PM »

I received a foward my my little sister a while back.  It's a nice perspective.

I AM THANKFUL

FOR THE WIFE
WHO SAYS IT'S HOT DOGS TONIGHT,
BECAUSE SHE IS HOME WITH ME,
AND NOT OUT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

FOR THE HUSBAND
WHO IS ON THE SOFA
BEING A COUCH POTATO,
BECAUSE HE IS HOME WITH ME
AND NOT OUT AT THE BARS.

FOR THE TEENAGER
WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING DISHES
BECAUSE THAT MEANS SHE IS AT HOME,
NOT ON THE STREETS.

FOR THE TAXES
THAT I PAY
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT
I AM EMPLOYED.

FOR THE MESS
TO CLEAN AFTER A PARTY
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I HAVE
BEEN SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS.

FOR THE CLOTHES
THAT FIT A LITTLE TOO SNUG
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT.

FOR MY SHADOW
THAT WATCHES ME WORK
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I AM OUT IN THE SUNSHINE.

FOR A LAWN
THAT NEEDS MOWING,
WINDOWS THAT NEED CLEANING,
AND GUTTERS THAT NEED FIXING
BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME.

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING
I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT
WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

FOR THE PARKING SPOT
I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT
BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING
AND THAT I HAVE BEEN
BLESSED WITH TRANSPORTATION.

FOR MY HUGE HEATING BILL
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I AM WARM.

FOR THE LADY
BEHIND ME IN CHURCH
THAT SINGS OFF KEY
BECAUSE IT MEANS
THAT I CAN HEAR.

FOR THE PILE
OF LAUNDRY AND IRONING
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR WEARINESS
AND ACHING MUSCLES
AT THE END OF THE DAY
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE BEEN
CAPABLE OF WORKING HARD.

FOR THE ALARM
THAT GOES OFF
IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I AM ALIVE.

AND FINALLY...
FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL
BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME.

Mr. 5020
---------------
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why so few engage in it." -Henry Ford
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2003, 08:58:07 PM »

Mmm, some very good points there, 5020.  

'Cept maybe the last one:  AND FINALLY...
FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL
BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME.

Much of the email I'm getting(spam), I'm not sure I'd call them friends!

But good post.  Thanks.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 06:29:01 AM »

Hoekstra Devotional - October 3

Contrasting Results for Self-Exaltation and Humility:

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, "God, I thank You that I am not like other men" . . . everyone who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.  (Luk_18:11, Luk_18:14)

The importance of Jesus' teaching in our present verse can be seen in its being repeated on various occasions (Mat_23:12 and Luk_14:11). The instruction sets forth the universal inevitability of contrasting results for self-exaltation and humility. "Everyone who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

This particular proclamation of the message was given in a parable that warns against self-righteousness and encourages humility. "He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others" (Luk_18:9). The contrasting examples in the parable are the prayers of a self-assured religious leader and a repentant publican. "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector" (Luke 18:10). When the self-righteous Pharisee prayed, he was actually having a personal dialogue with himself, even though he vainly addressed his prayer to God?! "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself" (Luk_18:11). He then appears to begin his prayer in a biblical manner, with an expression of thanksgiving. "In everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God" (Phi_4:6). However, his gratitude was based upon the ungodly assumption that he was innately better than others, particularly, this nearby publican. "God, I thank You that I am not like other men — extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector" (Luk_18:11). Then, he proceeded to elaborate upon his own virtues by reviewing his religious performance, which obviously seemed very impressive to him. "I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess" (Luk_18:12).

This self-righteous Pharisee was so assured of his good standing with God. Yet, he was measuring himself by his own eyes and in comparison to others. The scriptures that he would claim as his guide condemned such self-righteousness. "There is a generation that is pure in its own eyes, yet is not washed from its filthiness" (Pro_30:12). Although man may have been impressed with his external behavior, God saw the abomination of his godless heart. "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God" (Luk_16:15).

Dear Lord, I am so grateful that the blood of Christ washes away the times when I have talked or thought — or, even prayed — like this self-righteousness Pharisee. Help me to humbly embrace Your perspective, not man's, in Jesus name, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 04:54:33 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2003, 09:49:31 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 4

More on Contrasting Results for Self-Exaltation and Humility

And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, "God be merciful to me a sinner!" . . . everyone who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.  (Luk_18:13-14)

Our present meditation continues Jesus' parable that warns against self-righteousness and encourages lowliness of mind. In this teaching, the Lord declares contrasting results for self-exaltation and humility. "Everyone who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." The contrasting examples in the parable are the prayers of a vainglorious religious leader and a contrite publican.

The Pharisee's prayer was addressed to himself and was filled with glorying about himself. "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men . . . I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess' " (Luk_18:11-12). In stark contrast to this arrogant, feigned prayer, the tax collector would not so much as lift his countenance toward heaven. Instead, he pounded his guilt-ridden chest, humbly pleading for mercy. "And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God be merciful to me a sinner'!" His attitude was like David, who knew he could not withstand the righteous judgment of God. "Do not enter into judgment with Your servant, for in Your sight no one living is righteous" (Psa_143:2).

These two men (who both appeared to be praying to God) faced drastically differing results. "I tell you, this man [the humble publican] went down to his house justified rather than the other [the self-righteous religious leader]" (Luk_18:14). The self-exalting Pharisee was abased. He was dishonored before God and confirmed in his guilty, unrepentant state. "Everyone who exalts himself will be abased." The humble tax collector was exalted. Through humble dependence, he was raised up to the blessed realm of justification. "To him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness" (Rom_4:5). He was declared not guilty, forgiven, righteous in God's sight. "He who humbles himself will be exalted."

Lord God, I deserve to be abased for the times I have exalted myself in Your sight. I want to take my stand with this repentant tax collector. I want to humble myself before You, pleading Your mercy. I hope in You to lift me up to new realms of obedience, godly growth, and service, through Christ Jesus, my Lord, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 04:56:49 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2003, 11:28:46 PM »

Titus 2:11  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12  Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Titus 2:13  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

This is a beautiful portion of Scripture. Many illustrations and comparisons could be made here, but I want to mention only one, "LIGHT".

The Grace of God that bringeth Salvation is a "LIGHT" to a dark and dying world. The children of darkness and despair are invited to the "LIGHT" and offered a new life and inheritance as an adopted child of God.

If we accept the "LIGHT", the "LIGHT" lives in us and should shine through us to a dark and dying world. The "LIGHT" is a testimony through us and we are charged to avoid the things of darkness so as to burn brightly as children of the "LIGHT". This is difficult and we can't do it alone, but there is help from the Holy Spirit, the armour of "LIGHT", and HIS HOLY WORD on this journey.

Our hope is "LIGHT" as glory is "LIGHT", and we look for the glorious appearing of the "LIGHT", the Great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 04:59:19 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2003, 01:13:32 AM »

If we accept the "LIGHT", the "LIGHT" lives in us and should shine through us to a dark and dying world.

I am sorry but it is impossible for a baby to "accept" the light.
Other than that I liked where you were going.

Psalms 119:105  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

One of my favorite verses.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2003, 03:30:54 AM »

If we accept the "LIGHT", the "LIGHT" lives in us and should shine through us to a dark and dying world.

I am sorry but it is impossible for a baby to "accept" the light.
Other than that I liked where you were going.

Psalms 119:105  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

One of my favorite verses.

Oklahoma Howdy to Left Coast,

Brother, I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. By the way, that is also one of my favorite Scriptures.

It's been a long time since I've studied specific issues about the Salvation of babies. Many things changed at the CROSS WITH THE BLOOD OF JESUS. It is true that a baby is born with a sin nature, but the baby has not committed sin nor could be accountable for sin. I've always been taught that if a baby dies, the baby belongs to Jesus and goes directly to Jesus. I know that I remember THE CROSS AND ACCOUNTABILITY being the two key issues with babies in death.

I'll be happy to get more specific information for you if you want me to. I'm going to be pretty busy with 2 grandsons, both babies, over the next day or two. The oldest one is just starting to talk. Unless there is something in the Bible I don't know about, both babies belong to Jesus if anything happens to them.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2003, 12:16:31 PM »

BEP
When you watch those two grandbabies remember that being angry, self-centered, coveting, greedy, etc. are all sins.  See Psalms 58:3-4.
I remember when my children were babies and I would catch them doing something wrong, they would run with their hands on their diapers knowing they would get a swat. Babies know right from wrong.
Babies need the savior also. Fortunately because salvation is NOT based on anything we do and is 100% Gods action babies are saved.
One of my favorite stories in the scripture is Jesus and the little children.  

Matthew 19:13  Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.
Matthew 19:14  But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Unfortunately so many churches today put the children in nurseries away from the saving word of God.
I want grandchildren too, but I can’t get my sons married. My daughters are too young. I am afraid it will take my sons as long as it took me, I’d be 60 before I have any grandchildren.
Have a good time; enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2003, 05:44:21 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 6

Jesus, the Ultimate Example of Godly Exaltation

He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.  (Phi_2:8-11)

There is an ungodly, self-sufficient exaltation that leads to defeat and dishonor. "Everyone who exalts himself will be abased" (Luk_18:14). On the other hand, there is a godly, self-denying humility that leads to a proper exaltation. "He who humbles himself will be exalted" (Luk_18:14). We saw in our previous meditation that Jesus was the ultimate example of humility. Here, we see that He is also the ultimate example of godly exaltation.

Jesus humbly surrendered Himself to the will of the Father that our salvation might be secured through His atoning death. "He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." The results were glorious.  God's great salvation was purchased for man, and God's Son was greatly exalted. "Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name." First, Jesus was raised victoriously from the dead and seated at the Father's right hand, being granted the name above all names. "He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places" (Eph_1:20). Some day He will return triumphantly. "Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war" (Rev_19:11). Finally, He will rule forever sovereignly. " Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end . . . to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever" (Isa_9:7).

Those who must be forced to bow at the end will be separated from Him forever. Those who humbly bow and confess Him now will be exalted now (that is, "lifted up" now into heavenly realms of forgiveness, blessing, growth, and fruitfulness). Eventually, they will enter into His eternal exaltation (joint-heirs with Christ, serving Him forever)! The pathway is humility. He humbled Himself, yet, will rule eternally. We humble ourselves before Him now, yet we reign with Him forever!

Lord Jesus, what an amazing path You walked — from humble servanthood to a heavenly throne. What a grand exaltation will be Yours forever. What an astounding joy to know that I will join You in that exaltation, serving You eternally. Lord, I humble myself before You anew. Make me You faithful servant now while I await the glorious privilege that is coming, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:01:45 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2003, 06:50:55 AM »

Amen Tom!  I've posted this before, but the depth of that humility is what amazes me.  We are told in scriptures that all things made where made by Jesus, and upheld by Him as well.  I floors me how He Who made all things humbled Himself to be made, and even set aside the glory that was His, submitting Himself to be upheld - submitting Himself to die.  And not just any death, but the death of a criminal - the death of the cross!  Supreme perfection, and innocence being treated as though He had guilt, and even becoming sin - for me.  Humility like that deserves the glory that God has heaped and will heap even more upon Him.  Nice thought Tom.  Thank you!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the