Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share A Thought
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share A Thought  (Read 35208 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2003, 02:59:50 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I'd like to invite you to share a thought or a portion of scripture here. It would be nice if we could share without disagreement or debate. Let's at least try.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 03:05:36 AM »

A Rainbow - Contrasts & Comparisons

(Genesis 9:13)  I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
(Genesis 9:14)  And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
(Genesis 9:15)  And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

============

This is an interesting portion of Scripture, especially when you consider the contrasts and comparisons throughout the Bible. The bow spoken of here is a rainbow, a sign of great beauty and majesty. However, it is also a token of Almighty God's Covenant that He will never again destroy all flesh on the earth with flood.

One of the contrasts pertains to the bow as a weapon. This bow is seen in the clouds, and it is pointed toward heaven. Almighty God refers to the rainbow as "His bow". The next time you see a rainbow, stop and admire "God's bow". The overwhelming beauty is hard to describe, the colors, the radiance, the peace, and the sign. What could be said about the colors in the rainbow and the shape of the rainbow? We already know that the bow points toward heaven, and it doesn't contain an arrow. The ends of the bow are pointed toward the earth, and the colors of fire can be easily seen. Almighty God will never again destroy the earth with flood, but what about fire?

One of the comparisons regards the rainbow in describing great beauty, majesty, splendor, glory, and power. It is used in the Holy Bible in trying to describe the impossible to imagine. One should never separate beauty and power when the rainbow is used as a description in the Holy Bible. For the same reasons, one should never separate peace and destruction when the rainbow is used as a description.

(Ezekiel 1:28)  As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

(Revelation 4:3)  And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

(Revelation 10:1)  And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

In Christ,
Tom

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 03:22:10 AM »

A Rainbow - Contrasts & Comparisons

(Genesis 9:13)  I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
(Genesis 9:14)  And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
(Genesis 9:15)  And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

============

This is an interesting portion of Scripture, especially when you consider the contrasts and comparisons throughout the Bible. The bow spoken of here is a rainbow, a sign of great beauty and majesty. However, it is also a token of Almighty God's Covenant that He will never again destroy all flesh on the earth with flood.

One of the contrasts pertains to the bow as a weapon. This bow is seen in the clouds, and it is pointed toward heaven. Almighty God refers to the rainbow as "His bow". The next time you see a rainbow, stop and admire "God's bow". The overwhelming beauty is hard to describe, the colors, the radiance, the peace, and the sign. What could be said about the colors in the rainbow and the shape of the rainbow? We already know that the bow points toward heaven, and it doesn't contain an arrow. The ends of the bow are pointed toward the earth, and the colors of fire can be easily seen. Almighty God will never again destroy the earth with flood, but what about fire?

One of the comparisons regards the rainbow in describing great beauty, majesty, splendor, glory, and power. It is used in the Holy Bible in trying to describe the impossible to imagine. One should never separate beauty and power when the rainbow is used as a description in the Holy Bible. For the same reasons, one should never separate peace and destruction when the rainbow is used as a description.

(Ezekiel 1:28)  As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

(Revelation 4:3)  And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

(Revelation 10:1)  And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

In Christ,
Tom
See the rainbow and praise its Maker,
    so superbly beautiful in its splendour.
Across the sky it forms a glorious arc
    drawn by the hands of the Most High.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 03:23:43 AM »

I think as believers we tend to watch out for the "big" things in life.  That is, we tend to bother ourselves with the blatantly obvious sins that could beset us.  And this is good!  But I'm reminded of Song of Solomon 2:15...

Catch the foxes for us,
   the little foxes
that spoil the vineyards,
   for our vineyards are in blossom."

It's not always the "lion" that does the devouring.  Sometimes there are little foxes that whittle us away.  Just a thought...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 06:44:17 AM »

It would be nice if we could share without disagreement or debate.

Now there's a nice thought!  Wink

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 09:05:06 AM »

Yes, a rainbow is wonderful to see.

Scientifically, just a refraction of light through watery mist.

But it's interesting to see what scripture says about just "light"--which a rainbow is dependent on.

Maybe someone here could give us some examples from scripture as to what "light"(hehe) is...

For starters, just an observation, Everything that we "see", is really just the light rays that we see.

We don't actually "see" the object.  We see just the light rays reflected off that object.

Embarrassed

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 09:30:08 AM »

My favorite passage in scripture is "The believer's Freedom" in Romans where Paul says "everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial." This describes what Christ has done for us on the cross in a nutshell. We, as believers, can do ANYTHING we want and we are forgiven. But is it beneficial? Is it helping or hurting us? This is complete and total freedom because since we are no longer bound by law to get into heaven, the law is only used for our benefit rather than a necessity. It thus makes us DESIRE to go God's way instead of being bound to the law. We are then free from baondage and can feel His presence even if we are in a wordly prison.
Corpus
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 09:43:55 AM »

Very nice thread BEP.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 11:12:40 AM »

I remember the first time I decided to read the bible all the way through. One of my favorite moments happened when I ran into the Golden Oldies Channel.
I’m a retired hippy, anybody else remember the 60’s.

Ecclesiastes 3:1  To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
Ecclesiastes 3:2  A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
Ecclesiastes 3:3  A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
Ecclesiastes 3:4  A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Ecclesiastes 3:5  A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
Ecclesiastes 3:6  A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
Ecclesiastes 3:7  A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
Ecclesiastes 3:8  A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

It’s still hard not to add all the ‘turn, turn’s to it.
I have a lot of favorite verses, and this is still one.
I think I'll go stick a flower in my hair. Smiley

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 12:16:30 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Thanks brothers and sisters. I received a blessing from your posts and plan to do further study on the portions of Scripture mentioned. It is interesting to hear how His Holy Word touches and inspires us. There is incredible beauty in His Word, more than sufficient for all of us to partake.

"Light" is a massive topic. Thanks Symphony. I would love to see some thoughts on light. Thanks Left Coast for sharing "A Time". Yes, I was there in the 50's and 60's. Heidi, thanks for your thoughts on freedom and bondage. This is a massive and fascinating topic in His Word. Allinall, thanks for your thoughts about "the little foxes" and what besets all of God's children in our walk with HIM.

I hope that others will join in and share.

In Christ,
Tom

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 12:33:28 PM »

I think we should keep this thread so that whenever we are having a bad day, we can look at all the beautiful quotes and remember why we're here.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 02:24:50 PM »

Turning to God:

What can be said about a nation or an individual if God is with them? What can be said about us if we turn to the Lord of hosts only during times of tribulation and affliction? Should we expect the blessings of the Lord our God when we turn away from him, away from the light and into the paths of darkness? Could it be said that many nations and individuals find affliction and despair on the paths of darkness? Please see the following Scriptures that paint a picture about the weakness and despair of men and nations in contrast to the mercy, grace, and love of the Lord of hosts.

(Zechariah 1:3)  Therefore say thou unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye unto me, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will turn unto you, saith the LORD of hosts.

(Joel 2:13)  And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

(James 4:Cool  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

(Micah 7:19)  He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

(1 Peter 1:24)  For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
(1 Peter 1:25)  But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

We are weak, but HE is strong. If God be for us, who can stand against us. The Lord our God is ever Faithful to his children. He reaches out His Hand, full of GRACE AND TRUTH. He gives us HIS WORD to guide us, strengthen us, and comfort us during our short journey on earth. HE promises HIS children eternity with HIM in glory. We have need of a Saviour, and HE LIVES. We have need for forgiveness. If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. As nations and as individuals, we should turn to the SAVIOUR, THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 03:29:49 PM »

I remember the first time I decided to read the bible all the way through. One of my favorite moments happened when I ran into the Golden Oldies Channel.
I’m a retired hippy, anybody else remember the 60’s.

Ecclesiastes 3:1  To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
Ecclesiastes 3:2  A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
Ecclesiastes 3:3  A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
Ecclesiastes 3:4  A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Ecclesiastes 3:5  A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
Ecclesiastes 3:6  A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
Ecclesiastes 3:7  A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
Ecclesiastes 3:8  A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

It’s still hard not to add all the ‘turn, turn’s to it.
I have a lot of favorite verses, and this is still one.
I think I'll go stick a flower in my hair. Smiley
"I think I'll go stick a flower in my hair"
"Are you going to San Francisco?"
 Wink

A much more serious reflection:
Psalms 118

1.  O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.
 2.  Let Israel now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
 3.  Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
 4.  Let them now that fear the Lord say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
 5.  I called upon the Lord in distress: the Lord answered me, and set me in a large place.
 6.  The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
 7.  The Lord taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.
 8.  It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.
 9.  It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.
 10.  All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the Lord will I destroy them.
 11.  They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of the Lord I will destroy them.
 12.  They compassed me about like bees: they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the Lord I will destroy them.
 13.  Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the Lord helped me.
 14.  The Lord is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.
 15.  The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the Lord doeth valiantly.
 16.  The right hand of the Lord is exalted: the right hand of the Lord doeth valiantly.
 17.  I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord.
 18.  The Lord hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.
 19.  Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the Lord:
 20.  This gate of the Lord, into which the righteous shall enter.
 21.  I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
 22.  The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
 23.  This is the Lord's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
 24.  This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
 25.  Save now, I beseech thee, O Lord: O Lord, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
 26.  Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the Lord: we have blessed you out of the house of the Lord.
 27.  God is the Lord, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
 28.  Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.
 29.  O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 03:56:53 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 04:20:55 PM »

Left Coast, that's what my spouse and I selected for our scripture before we got married.

Thought for the day. Well, I had a very difficult situation a few years back. Impossible to resolve by any of man's standards. I was reading about what Jesus said, about prayer, about believing. I thought, have a mountain throw itself into the sea? That's some powerful language. And I think adults tend to forget the power of their faith. So I decided to just believe, and asked for the most ridiculous thing.

And received what I asked for, resolving the problem.

A year ago I was getting my hair cut, and my spouse wanted to stop into a second hand store, just to see what was in there. We found a T-shirt from a movie I've never seen, called Mission Impossible. That's what the shirt said on the sleeves.

The front of the shirt said, "Expect the Impossible." Underneath there was the symbol for Apple Computers. It was an apple, with a bite taken out of it, but in rainbow colors. I don't know what that means to Apple, but to me it means sin, and redemption. A bitten apple and a rainbow covering the apple. Is not forgiveness from God, by our own power, the truly impossible mission? But when we come to God for forgiveness, He does exactly that. The impossible. And it isn't just in redemption, but in every situation, that He is capable. And many times He is willing to do just that. I had proof of what I formerly had no proof of. I had to believe first. Then God showed me the truth of what I believed. One person even mocked me for the sheer impossibility of my prayer. But Jesus accomplished the Mission Impossible. And that's why He's just the one for every impossible thing we ask in accordance with the will of God.

Don't we always explore the possibilities? Maybe we should spend more time exploring the impossibilities.

I bought the shirt.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 05:22:11 PM »

I think we should keep this thread so that whenever we are having a bad day, we can look at all the beautiful quotes and remember why we're here.
That sounds beautiful!  Smiley

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the