Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:02:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  hard rock/metal church?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: hard rock/metal church?  (Read 4777 times)
TaylorC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2003, 04:01:22 PM »

Is there such a thing? I'm looking for a new church to start going to, particularly one with a more modern style of worship and is targeted to youth more. Something with a hardrock/metal worship style and not all hymns and contemporary. I live Austin TX, by the way, so there has to be something similar in this huge city/state!
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 07:47:54 PM »

Does it have to be hard rock/metal to be targeted at youth?
TaylorC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 08:00:06 PM »

No it doesnt, but I think that kind of place would be a great idea to target today's youth. That is the kind of music everyone I know (including myself of course) is into. There are several Christian rock/metal bands that have become very well-known in the secular market because of their style - its spreading the truth in a modernistic way. I've also heard of these hardrock/metal churches that exist, but dont know any of their names.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 09:35:59 PM »

Sounds like a Vineyard church...  Undecided

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 04:52:59 PM »

I don't know what that means, but I bet it's a matter of opinion.
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 02:55:10 AM »

hard rock/metal church?

Sounds like a useless attempt to be worldly and I see nothing God glorifying in it.  I really hope there's no such thing.

Look tibby we seem to be in agreement here!   Lips Sealed

TaylorC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 02:52:02 PM »

A KJV Bible believing Christian? Sounds like a close-minded, holier-than-thou, hypocritical "Christian" to me. Who says God cant be glorified through a different tuning and faster pace? Who says you have the right to judge something you've got no concept of at all? Who says that playing a different musical style is worldly? Hymns were worldly for their time. I really hope you see that not everything has to conform to your views.

Don't you think God is big enough to even work through heavy metal music? There's an entire group of metalheads out there that need to hear the gospel in a way thats appealing to them. Would you just say, "repent or suffer the wrath of hell when God shalt smite you"? While you'd be puritanical about it, I'd be sharing truth with them on their level. Christ used parables to interest the people and get his message through. Heavy metal can be used to interest people and also get the message through. I don't like re-stating this multiple times, but it seems as if you all don't get it.

Perhaps you'll never allow your minds and eyes to be opened, but atleast don't judge other people because they're different. As I said, Jesus was different. God has the only power to condemn and judge, and I believe it is my calling from Him to go into the music ministry, play the music I like and spread His message through the lyrics. Don't debate me on this, because you're all seriously coming off as pompous, pious hypocrites. Have I offended some of you here? Undoubtedly yes, but one day I will stand before God and answer for all I've done. While you're fruitlessly ministering in the ways of the colonial times, I'll be more up to date and using new tactics to help spread salvation. Get with the times. The world changes, so how do you expect to reach people the same way you'd have done several centuries ago? This is NOT ABOUT ME. This is about GOD. This is about doing what He has called me to do. This is about seeking His ways. If I can't be comfortable and enjoy worshipping God, its not truly worshipping Him and somethings wrong. I leave you with such an important verse again: John 7:24!
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 07:35:45 PM »

*Applauds TaylorC.*

I believe many people on these boards need to hear, or rather, read, that.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 11:03:02 PM »

Why is it when someone says what they think, and it is Against the MTV culture of today, they are “close-minded, holier-than-thou, hypocritical ‘Christian‘”? Of course, you are the only one who is right, and any Christian that disagrees with you is Disagreeing with God, right? You are not listening to a word Saved has said, wouldn't that make you close-minded? And it sure sounds like you think you are on a mission from God, and we are the sinners. Pretty "holier-than-thou" if you ask me, Mr " This is about seeking [Gods] ways."

The Vineyard is a group of churches that tries to stay “Culturally current.” You can call Saved puritanical, but I call you deceived! Why in the name of all that is holy should the church keep up with the world? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Get with the times? First of all, why does the Church has to “get with the times!” As I said above, the Culture today should be trying to get with the Church!  And if you really want us to “get with the times” then we should be playing a lot of Rap and Hip-hop and R&B, because more people listen to that then Metal. Look at the top 40 charts, there is very little metal in it.

Other people who are different? I made the mistake of visiting the vineyard because I thought it followed my punk rock way of life. I come to find out neither the vineyard or my punk rock way of life followed God. And I have not heard saved’s full testimony but I have inferred that he wasn’t much different from those Metal Heads at one time. Maybe he would like to tell you sometime, might clear things up for you.

Get your head out of the sand and pay attention. The Whole concept behind this “freak” sub-culture is rebellion. Rebellion against Parents, against the Governing Authority, and against the Morals and teachings of the Christian church.

Christian rock, what makes it Christian? If a Christian is singing it? What about the lyrics? Well, I have yet to see a sing Christian Rock song that has any kind of Praise to God. They may mention God, but they never praise him. And with the only times they do, they are remakes! That kind of music may be ok on your own time, but leave it out of the church!

Nice verse, by the way, but we arn't judging, we are speaking our mind, just ask you are. We are telling you what we think. If you are to close-minded to here us out, then don't be so hypocritical as to call us such things!

Can you have a fast-pace beat? I don’t see why not. Can you have loud music? I don’t see why not. As an Assistant P&W leader about to take over, I am careful to pick out the right songs. They either need to “Praise” God, or “Worship” God, and out of the all the Vineyards I’ve been to, not a single one cares anything for either, as long as there chairs are full and the CDs are selling!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
TaylorC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 12:04:51 AM »

Find something unBiblical or evil in this Christian metal song:

The Silver Cord Is Severed

Remember God before the silver cord is severed
Or the golden bowl is broken
Remember your creator
In the days of your youth
Before the days of trouble come
And you find no pleasure in them
When the keepers of the house will tremble
And the strong men will stoop
When the grinders cease because they are few
And the sound of grinding fades
Are you a judge of another man?
Is your life just vanity?
Maybe look where you will stand?
On the day of your death!
Fear God and follow his commands
For this is the duty of man
God will bring every deed to judge
Including any hidden sin

The church doesn't have to conform to your ways either. There's nothing wrong with a church being "up to date".
It's ridiculous to consider a style of worship to be heretical. Jesus was with the times when he taught, knowing more of your environment will help you to conquer it. I never said I'm on a mission from God, I simply believe music ministry is my calling. I do agree that "Christian" rock/metal music should be labeled so carefully. How is rock/metal something of rebellion? Because our world has made it that. Nothing and no one has to conform to the world, just as music doesnt have to. And for your information, Christian "metalheads" happen to be some of the most spiritually mature and strong people I know. How is your statement against those types of people not judgmental? I say you all need to seriously loosen up. God is not this stiff and anti-fun God who will condemn music that praises Him only because of its sound/style. Bach and Beethoven were frowned upon by the church in their time for writing "horrible music that doesnt glorify God" because it wasnt traditional style. There we go again: tradition. Its all that stands in the way of our full possibilities as Christians/people. Traditional values are not always going to support us in these new times. People putting limits down is ridiculous. God wants us to be limitless, so he can use us to our full potential for His glory. None of you can deny that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 12:05:41 AM by TaylorC » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 02:29:45 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to TaylorC,

I'm an old guy, a preacher's son, a retired cop, and I think the Beach Boys were pretty wild.   Grin

Are you too young to know who they are? I would have to tell you that I don't understand or listen to the heavy metal, but I have a nephew who plays in a Christian rock band. If you feel lead of the Lord to do this as a ministry, I would tell you to obey and go. I will pray for you that God gives you guidance and the wisdom to bring souls to Christ and honor HIS name. I would ask you to pray that you do HIS will.

Don't get to upset with some of us older people. Some of us are still trying to get used to electricity and indoor plumbing.   Grin

In Christ,
Tom

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 05:44:43 AM »

I'm an old guy, a preacher's son, a retired cop, and I think the Beach Boys were pretty wild.   Grin

Are you too young to know who they are? I would have to tell you that I don't understand or listen to the heavy metal, but I have a nephew who plays in a Christian rock band. If you feel lead of the Lord to do this as a ministry, I would tell you to obey and go. I will pray for you that God gives you guidance and the wisdom to bring souls to Christ and honor HIS name. I would ask you to pray that you do HIS will.

Don't get to upset with some of us older people. Some of us are still trying to get used to electricity and indoor plumbing.   Grin

In Christ,
Tom

I agree with you Brother, except for the Beach Boys, who I never liked Smiley My Favorite Christian Rock Band is the old Petra, and my favorite Hard Rock Christian Band was Stryper.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
TaylorC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 09:10:52 AM »

Yes, I've heard of the Beach Boys. I don't just like heavy metal either, but I know thats what I want to play. I like all kinds of stuff from SRV to Led Zeppelin to Hendrix to Beethoven and more.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 11:46:36 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Love,

I must admit that I'm more for harmony and the old-fashioned type gospel singers. I love listening to the Gaithers and a lot of people that get together with them. I really enjoy several quartets, choirs, and camp-style gospel singing. I was kidding about the Beach Boys being wild.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 11:57:37 AM »

Yes, I've heard of the Beach Boys. I don't just like heavy metal either, but I know thats what I want to play. I like all kinds of stuff from SRV to Led Zeppelin to Hendrix to Beethoven and more.

I forgot to tell you that I liked the words to "The Silver Cord is Severed". I wish you the very best of luck, and I will pray for you. I have quite a few friends and family members near where you are living now. I'll ask a few questions and see what I can find out. However, they are all my age or older. I would call my nephew, but he's on the road and I'd never be able to find him. I'll get back with you.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the