Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  wanna know more about laying of hands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: wanna know more about laying of hands  (Read 2903 times)
spectre260
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:07:33 AM »

Hey I wanna know more about laying of hands. I laid hands in four or five people and only two collapsed.
Those two collapsed when I had someone to assist me but I saw another friend of mine laid his hand into this guy and after speaking in tounges for a few seconds the guy collapsed.
He did it without any assistance or something.

Can anyone tell me how it works or how to do it powerfully. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:40:29 AM by spectre260 » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 11:55:24 AM »

Laying on of hands is in fact a Biblical teaching however the "slaying with the spirit" that is done by some of the new age movement is not mentioned in the Bible anywhere. The laying on of hands was done for the healing of individuals for both physical and spirtual ailments.

The laying on of hands for healing is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Each of us is given gifts by the Holy Spirit according to the needs and requirements of God. He is the one that determines who does or does not get certain gifts. This is a gift imparted to some of us and not something that is learned.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
spectre260
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 12:30:14 PM »

So you mean I should really pray hard about this so I can use it more.
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 02:15:59 PM »

So you mean I should really pray hard about this so I can use it more.

Of course you can pray very hard, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to "use" it more...

And take into account what he said about being "slain in the spirit."  It's not in Scripture. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »

Hi Ira,

In case you aren't aware of it "slain in the spirit" is what it is referred to when someone suppossedly knocks someone down in that manner. It is not scriptural. This is something that is used by those that go for the overly dramatic acts on stage. It is what is referred to in the older days as "showmanship" or a con artists game. The laying on of hands is very Biblical but it is not all displayed as these people would have you believe it is.

When Jesus laid hands on those that He healed they were not "slain" in such a manner. They were healed, most assuredly but they were not "slain".

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nicole rork

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 12:50:22 PM »

This is something that is used by those that go for the overly dramatic acts on stage. It is what is referred to in the older days as "showmanship" or a con artists game.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »

Hi nicole,

Welcome to Christians Unite. I hope that you enjoy the fellowship that we have here at CU and I hope to see more of your posts.

RKJ

Because He lives, I can face tommorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »

I would rather learn to love and support people than (s)laying people Wink
I would also pray the hardest to God to teach me to love, to persevere, to shine and make me more like Jesus!  I do not know if it can be called a 'gift'...but I would certainly not pursue it but I would surely follow the 'gifter' with all might and strength Smiley
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 01:43:59 PM »

AMEN!

ibuchanan82

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 03:53:02 AM »

Hi there,

I'm a Christian from Scotland and I go to an independent (non-denominational) church that believes in the power of the Holy Spirit.

My concern is not so much with what you are doing but why you are doing it. You want to slay people in the spirit without the aid of someone else?

First of all to be "slain" is a personal response of the person being prayed for not the person who is doing the praying. Falling down is often a by-product of being touched by the presence of God to such an extent that your physical body just gives out and you shift into a deeply Spiritual communion with God where he can effectively minister to your spirit.

Although we have no scriptural references for the term "slain in the Spirit" we can see it happen on a number of occasions especially in the new Testament where the power of God's Holy Spirit is most at work. Rev1:17 and also Acts 9:4 are examples that come to mind where someone is physically effected by the presence of God.
It is also worth noting that we have no scriptural references for the "Rapture" (or at least the word rapture is not used in the bible) but we accept it and the word we use for it as we can find the "action" in scripture.

After such an encounter the person will have experienced the power of God either by healing, the impartation of spiritual gifts, visions or some other life changing altercation that must happen whenever someone comes in contact with God's Spirit. Unfortunately this is where we find the most problems, too many people do "fall for show" or feel pressure from the evangelist or a visiting speaker. I myself have felt a mans hand forcing down on my temple, but I resist I don’t do sucker falls. The result is often not good, no vision, no healing nothing but "I simply enjoyed the presence of God" which I believe as a false experience.

Falling under the influence of God's Holy Spirit is a real thing but it certainly does not happen as often as you see on "Christian T.V."

People who criticise such a powerful display have often never encountered it (or at least a genuine experience) and also do not believe in God's power to heal, they use this as an example of their disbelief as they often have little leg to stand on as far as supporting the belief that God no longer heals in the manner that he did in the days of the bible.

I believe its a mix of things we see here: the genuine experience which happens rarely but when it does it changes lives, people however sincere falling as an act in the hope it will deepen their experience with God (which doesn't happen), peer pressure after watching other show droppers, the speakers expectations and even pressure (which i believe is dangerous) and also peoples unbelief due to lack of genuine experience, watching false occurrences and/or lack of faith in Gods Transformational power all leads to a very unfortunate position. The power of God is diluted and lost in a sea of human "religious acts" (a religion is Mans attempt to get to God ) and hindered by critical human thinking.

What we are seeing is the Religious-isation of the Charismatic movement, what started as God's power manifesting has now been turned into a ritual like rehearsing certain prayers not from the heart which is where the power of that prayer originated but because that's what your meant to do.

Don't look at someone falling as the desired end result of your praying for them, it's never by your power but by God's if you seek such a thing you are under a religious spirit and need prayer yourself

God Bless hope this helps

Ian
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 04:02:16 AM by ibuchanan82 » Logged
JamesB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »

The general consensus here seems to be that being 'slain in the spirit' is a scam, but let me tell you my story.  I attended the Methodist church with my grandmother when I was young, got married to a Catholic in a Luthern church that my family attended on Christmas and Easter only.  To say the least, I was about as far away as someone who believed in being slain in the spirt as the man in the moon.

Years later, I attended a Church of God service with a friend of mine.  They had a special guest, I don't remember his name, but he had a prision ministry, being an ex-prisioner himself.  At the end of his sermon, he made an altar call for those who wanted to be healed, blessed, etc.  He began laying on hands and people were dropping like flies.  I stood back and watched, scoffing to myself that this couldn't possibly be real.  I stood well back from the line of folks, but thought to myself, "I wonder if there really is anything to this?"

Then I said to myself, "If he calls me forward when he gets to this end, I'll go up there.  But not unless he calls me."  Well, the speaker moved to my end of the room, looked up and motioned for me to come forward.  He said something, laid his hand on my head and I fell like a rock!  I couldn't believe it - the true skeptic, felled with one touch.  It was as if my whole mind had emptied and my bones turned to jelly. 

It was not at all I what I was expecting, but it would be interesting to hear someone elses point of view.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:20:03 PM »

All things are possible in the Lord, but beware of the tricks of the enemy. I'm not saying that you were deceived but knowing little about this topic, and not seeing anything in the bible to substantiate it......I'm leery

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »

Eph 4:14  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Mat 24:11  And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

I will say it again .....  the "slaying with the spirit" that is done by some of the new age movement is not mentioned in the Bible anywhere.

The_Shepherds_Sheep

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 10:15:14 PM »

When the soldiers came looking for Jesus and asked who He was, Jesus replied," I am He." and the soldiers fell back. Laying on of hands is not a tool to 'slay people' in the Holy Spirit. The Bible does not shed light upon the subject of being slain in the Holy Spirit, but that does not mean that it doesn't happen. When St. John had his vivid visions, do you think he was running around trying to get other things done? I see John laying on his cave floor, being overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit. The Bible doesn't state that they were slain because that fact is irrelevant. What is relevant is that they had the visions and laying on of hands in used to heal people. So what if they get slain, look at the end result. Watch Benny Hinn and see how many people 'fall out' in one of his services and count the same ones to see if they get up healed or not. Chances are they will.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »

You just answered my questions.

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?topic=4004.0

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the