Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286831 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 299706 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 29, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Single and Trusting

As a single person, are you afraid to ask God what He wants for your life because you think He'll make you miserable? Maybe even keep you single?

Perhaps you've lived through the pain of divorce and think God will never be able to use you. Or that He'll punish you for it in some way. Where did you get this idea? Because it certainly doesn't reflect what the Bible says or the character of God.

Often our fear isn't really about being single or married or getting sent to the slums of Calcutta. It's a bigger issue--do I really trust God with my whole life? You see, God does things for His glory and for our good. So, it's time to revamp your view of God and learn to trust Him...whether you're married or single.

What Does God Say?

Let's start with the fear issue--that God isn't going to be good to us. Do you know that's one of Satan's favorite lies? Any time the enemy can get you to doubt God's goodness or faithfulness, he'll do it--and he scores!

Your best defense is the Word of God revealing the character of God:

"The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him" (Nahum 1:7, NIV).

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him" (Lamentations 3:22-25, NIV).

Those are just several verses out of hundreds that show us God is good and worthy of our trust.

Look at His promise in Jeremiah 29:11: "'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope'" (NLT). One version translates this as "plans for wholeness." God offers a complete life, nothing left out or missing from what you need.

And look at this promise if you put your trust in God: "For the LORD God is our light and protector. He gives us grace and glory. No good thing will the LORD withhold from those who do what is right. O LORD Almighty, happy are those who trust in you" (Psalm 84:11-12, NLT).

Did you notice these promises aren't dependent on your marital status? That the only thing required is to put your trust in God, to do what is right and good and honors Him? He is the only One who's ever truly trustworthy. He's always good, always faithful, never changing and even better, He knows all that your life has been and ever will be.

My Thoughts

Psalm 139 is often used to show us how wonderfully God creates us, but read it and jot down all the things that God knows about you and does for you.

* Do these reflect a God you can trust?

We like to quote Psalm 37:4 because it talks about God giving us the desires of our heart. However, read through verses 1-7.

* What do you find that reflects a trust in God?
    * Are things like trust, commitment, peace, righteousness, patience or doing good as much a part of your life as those heart's desires?

Based on what you've seen of God's knowledge of you in Psalm 139, do you think He might be more aware of your heart's desires than you are? That He might know your desire to be married is really a cry for love or fulfillment or security or help?

My Part

There are no easy answers in our struggle to trust God with our lives, single or married. You may work through it and feel at peace with it at some point, only to end up battling again a few weeks, months, even years later. If this has been an ongoing struggle for you as a single person, ask yourself a few questions like these:

* What has made me think God can't be trusted with my life?
    * What am I really asking God for as the "desires of my heart"?
    * What am I afraid He'll ask of me in return?
    * Has God done anything in my life that at first I didn't "get" but later realized was for my good?
    * Do I see marriage as a reward for obeying Him? Or is it enough to obey and follow Him, no matter what He chooses to do?

Take these questions to God, and ask Him to show you His answer through His Word. Maybe you could do a short survey of something like the Psalms and look at all the ways God reminds you He can be trusted. And if you have a Christian friend who's perhaps faced similar battles, talk with them and see how you can encourage each other.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 30, 2006
Topic: Service/Servanthood

Called to Serve

Depending on the size of your church, there's probably a ministry for just about everyone. There are Sunday school classes for all ages, a college ministry, a ministry for singles, one for young married couples, a class for new parents, a place for empty-nesters and then there's something for the seniors.

In addition to that, you'll probably find mid-week meetings for people seeking financial help, marital guidance, support groups for people grieving, recovering from an addiction or just wanting to lose weight. And don't forget the pastor's sermon on Sunday morning. But in the process of splitting the congregation into so many segments, we need to be careful and not hinder the work of the church as a whole.

What Does God Say?

"Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him" (Colossians 3:11-17, NIV).

My Thoughts

Maybe you're from a smaller church and don't see an obvious place for you to minister. Look closer at the words of Paul above.

* What is Paul's view of the church (the Body)?
    * What actions does Paul recommend?
    * What is an individual's responsibility in the church?
    * What should our attitude toward ministry be?

My Part

As a Christian, God has equipped you to serve Him in a special way. Look for ways to exercise that ability in your local Body of believers. Maybe this will involve starting a new ministry, or maybe it will involve working in an area you hadn't considered before. Whatever you do, find some way to use your gifts and abilities for Christ in the church.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2006, 08:23:20 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 31, 2006
Topic: Service/Servanthood

Being Part of the Body

How do you feel when you're in a group in the church that is considered out of the mainstream and more like a special focus group? That may be how you are feeling right now in this time of your life if you have suddenly become single again. You may feel that the church doesn't really have a place for you to serve. But what does the Bible say?

What Does God Say?

"The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up only one body. So it is with the body of Christ. Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into Christ's body by one Spirit, and we have all received the same Spirit.

"Yes, the body has many different parts, not just one part. If the foot says, 'I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand,' that does not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear says, 'I am not part of the body because I am only an ear and not an eye,' would that make it any less a part of the body? Suppose the whole body were an eye--then how would you hear? Or if your whole body were just one big ear, how could you smell anything?

"But God made our bodies with many parts, and he has put each part just where he wants it. What a strange thing a body would be if it had only one part! Yes, there are many parts, but only one body. The eye can never say to the hand, 'I don't need you.' The head can't say to the feet, 'I don't need you'" (1 Corinthians 12:12-21, NLT).

* When the Bible talks about us being part of the body, who is included?
    * What qualifications are there for being a part of the body?
    * What parts are not necessary? Why?

My Thoughts

Draw a picture (or express in words) what body part best represents you. Explain why you feel that this body part represents you.

My Part

* This week write down some areas of ministry where you would like to serve that you feel gifted in.
    * Make an appointment within a week to talk to a pastor/church leader about your desire to serve.
    * Commit this desire to the Lord in prayer and ask Him to help you persevere even if there are some roadblocks in your pursuit of service.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2006, 04:26:29 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 1, 2006
Topic: Relationships

What God Has Joined Together

All too often, divorce is viewed as a free pass--a simple way out of a marriage that's just not working. But what does that say for our integrity.

Ted Engstrom gives a succinct definition of integrity: Simply put, integrity is doing what you said you would do. It means you keep your promises.

When you promised to be faithful to your mate, integrity says you'll stay with that person no matter what--for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health.

Divorce seems to say: 1) you need to look after your own interests and happiness, 2) it's all right to give up on promises and 3) love is changing and conditional. Let's take a look at what the Bible has to say.

What Does God Say?

"Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing" (Philippians 2:3-4, NLT).

"Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything" (James 1:2-4, NLT).

"'For I hate divorce!' says the LORD, the God of Israel. 'It is as cruel as putting on a victim's bloodstained coat,' says the LORD Almighty. 'So guard yourself; always remain loyal to your wife'" (Malachi 2:16, NLT).

* When it comes to the marriage relationship, what does the Bible say about only looking after our own interests?
    * What should our response be when difficulties arise in our marriage?
    * What does God think of divorce?

My Thoughts

While continued sexually immoral behavior may provide grounds for divorce (Matthew 5:32), it is never a desirable action. It has been suggested that "divorce" should not even be in a Christian's vocabulary. During times when you are not getting along with your spouse, have you allowed your thoughts to turn toward divorce? How do you think God would feel about this?

My Part

Read through 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. List the characteristics of true love. Place a Y or N (for "yes" or "no") after each of these to indicate whether you are demonstrating that characteristic in your relationship with your spouse. Select two of the "N" response to work on this week.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 19:6, James 1:2-4, 1 John 4:7-8

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2006, 04:27:40 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 4, 2006
Topic: Bible Study/Theories

Similar but Different

When we read and study the Bible, we see that God weaves certain threads through His Word. These themes or distinctions help us understand what God is all about. You see things like law versus grace and our position in Christ versus our practices as Christians. (We'll touch on these in other studies this month.) But there's also a distinction between Israel and the Church. This study offers only a small look at what we need to know about these two groups.

What Does God Say?

Throughout the Bible, God works with two distinct groups of people. The Old Testament focuses mainly on the people of Israel whom God called His "chosen people." In the New Testament, the focus shifts to the Church, those who've come to faith in Jesus Christ and are now His Body. There are hints of the Church in the Old Testament, and quite a bit about Israel in the New Testament.

Israel began with a promise God made to Abraham: "Then the LORD told Abram, 'Leave your country, your relatives, and your father's house, and go to the land that I will show you. I will cause you to become the father of a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and I will make you a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the families of the earth will be blessed through you'" (Genesis 12:1-3, NLT).

It took awhile for this nation to develop. Abraham's son Isaac had two sons, Jacob and Esau. God changed Jacob's name to Israel and through his 12 sons, his descendants became a great nation (Genesis 28:13-15; 32:22-28). God made specific promises to Israel and He called them to be a holy people, set apart for Him, and a blessing to the nations (Exodus 19:3-6). Sometimes, they obeyed faithfully and other times they failed miserably. But God was present with them--caring for them, protecting, guiding, teaching, disciplining and communicating with them through His prophets and leaders.

With the Church, things are similar but different. Yes, these are people chosen by God, set apart as His holy spiritual children, with a mission to make Him known. First Peter 2:9 tells us that "you are a chosen people. You are a kingdom of priests, God's holy nation, his very own possession. This is so you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light" (NLT).

However, through Jesus Christ, believers are now His Body: "And God has put all things under the authority of Christ, and he gave him this authority for the benefit of the church. And the church is his body; it is filled by Christ, who fills everything everywhere with his presence." (Ephesians 1:22-23, NLT).

The Church is a family of faith; you become part of the Church when you believe on Jesus as your Savior, and you're adopted as a son or daughter of God (Romans 8:16-17).

The biggest difference now is that God takes up residence in us; He indwells each believer (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). It's an inside-out relationship, not like the outside-in relationship God had with Israel.

My Thoughts

The Book of Romans addresses two major themes in the Bible: Law and Grace, and Israel and the Church. Read through Romans, chapters 9-11, with these questions in mind.

* How is Israel described?
    * How is the Church (believers) described?
    * What are the differences you see between the two?
    * What do they have in common?
    * What went wrong with Israel's relationship to God?
    * What is the Church's (believers) responsibility to God's people, the Jews? And to God?

My Part

To be a part of Israel, you usually had to be born into this genealogical family, and that would exclude most of us. But to be part of the Church, you need to be born again--a spiritual birth, open to all who come to Jesus in faith, believing that He is God's Son and the only one who can take away your sin. Is that a decision you still need to make today?

Or perhaps you're already part of the Body of Christ, the Church. Take a few moments now to thank God for the privilege of being called His child. Maybe jot down some of the benefits you've discovered you have through Christ, and add them to your "thank you" list.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2006, 10:26:38 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 5, 2006

Keys to Understanding

Mixed-up identities are not unusual. Just a few years ago, many newspapers carried the story of two three-year-old girls who accidentally had been switched at birth by the hospital. It was not until one of the girls needed a DNA test that the mistake was discovered.

In the same way, some people get the identity of Israel and the Church confused. In God's eyes, however, these are two separate entities each of whom has a part to play in His future plans for the human race. Let's look at how God views them.

What Does God Say?

"For if God was willing to take you who were, by nature, branches from a wild olive tree and graft you into his own good tree--a very unusual thing to do--he will be far more eager to graft the Jews back into the tree where they belong. I want you to understand this mystery, dear brothers and sisters, so that you will not feel proud and start bragging. Some of the Jews have hard hearts, but this will last only until the complete number of Gentiles comes to Christ. And so all Israel will be saved. Do you remember what the prophets said about this?

"'A Deliverer will come from Jerusalem,
and he will turn Israel from all ungodliness.
And then I will keep my covenant with them
and take away their sins.'

"Many of the Jews are now enemies of the Good News. But this has been to your benefit, for God has given his gifts to you Gentiles. Yet the Jews are still his chosen people because of his promises to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. For God's gifts and his call can never be withdrawn" (Romans 11:24-29, NLT)

* The apostle Paul talks about two olive trees. While similar, they also differ. How are they different? Which represents the Church? Which represents Israel?
    * How long will God keep Israel in the background?
    * How can we be sure that God has not permanently replaced Israel with the Church?

My Thoughts

God has great plans for Israel. Once the Church is removed (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17), Israel will become the primary tool to evangelize those who are left behind (Revelation 7:2-8). In light of God's future plans, what should your attitude toward Israel be today?

My Part

This week, read Psalm 122:6. Then go to a news source (Internet, TV, newspaper) and specifically pray for an area of Israel that needs peace.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 6, 2006
Topic: God's Love

Law and Grace, One

In the very beginning, Christianity was strictly a Jewish faith. Jesus was a Jew, the disciples were Jews and they lived and preached among the Jews. But it wasn't very long until God led Peter and Paul to realize that Christianity was for the whole world. Jesus hinted at this before returning to heaven when He told the disciples to "tell people about me everywhere--in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8, NLT).

But "Jew" was more than just a label on a certain people. Being a Jew meant being brought up in a very strict religious environment. Many aspects of their daily lives were structured to remind the Jew of their special relationship with God. They lived by the Law of Moses--God's own words given for the Jews to guide them.

The Gentiles, obviously, didn't have the Law of Moses and didn't live by the commands that God had given. So, when the apostles began preaching to the Gentiles, it was natural to ask, "Do they need to live by the Law of Moses now?" In essence they were wondering, "Are we made clean in God's eyes by following the Law, or by God's grace alone?" If it's by the Law, then Gentiles need to be Jewish before they can be Christian. If it's by grace, then what was the reason for the Law in the first place?

What Does God Say?

There's not enough room in this short Bible study to fully answer this question. But let's look at what God's Word has to say about mistakes people often make when thinking about grace and law. Practically all of the Book of Romans is Paul's answer to this question. Take a moment to read Romans 3:19-31.

My Thoughts

There are three common mistakes people make when thinking about the Law and grace. One mistake says that it's by following the Law that we're saved. Another says that we're saved by God's grace, but we still need to follow the Law. And the third says that the Law only applies to Old Testament Jews and grace to believers in the New Testament.

Based on the passage for today, how would Paul correct those mistakes?

My Part

Very few of us in America were exposed to the same kind of Jewish upbringing that many of the first Christians were. So, the distinction between grace and law may seem a minor one. But even today many believers out there still mistakenly believe that God grants salvation based on how good we are. Take some time to read through all of Romans. Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you how to live as a child of God and not a slave to sin.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2006, 11:24:11 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 7, 2006

Law and Grace, Two

Even if there was no law in our judicial system against murder, don't you think we'd recognize that taking an innocent person's life was wrong? There's just something in us that says, "This is OK to do. And this other thing, well, not so much." We have a built-in sense of right and wrong, of good and bad, of acceptable and unacceptable. And while it's true that living a life of faith in Jesus Christ means that we are not bound by the Old Testament Law, the truth is, even in our freedom, there are boundaries.

What Does God Say?

"Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them" (Romans 2:14-15, NIV).

"'Everything is permissible for me'--but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible for me'--but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12, NIV).

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31, NIV).

* If the Gentiles did not have the Law, what gave them an indication of right and wrong?
    * "Everything is permissible for me," gives you a lot of freedom. But what principles does Paul use to put boundaries on that freedom?
    * What should be the outcome of every decision we make?

My Thoughts

You know, life is not just black and white. Yeah, there are some things we know are wrong no matter what--murder, for one. But there are some things that people may feel the freedom to do that others don't.

* In your discussions with other believers, what issues come up as gray areas?
    * How can we abuse our freedom in Christ? How can we quench it?
    * What Scripture do you use to help you make the decisions that fall in the gray areas?
    * Is there an issue you're currently dealing with that's made you ask, "Is this OK?" How can you be sure you're making decisions according to God's Word, the Holy Spirit and your conscience?

My Part

Identify a gray area you're dealing with--what movies to see, what kind of music to listen to, what TV shows to watch or maybe what clothes to wear. Is there anything "intuitive" that's leading you one way or another? Write down the pros and cons of your decision-making, and ask God to give you an innate sense of what's right and wrong for you personally. Then, take an "inventory" of your life. Is there anything you're involved in right now that you know is wrong, no question? What can you do to get out of it?

Additional Scripture: Genesis 1 and 2; Romans 2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2006, 11:02:27 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 8, 2006
Topic: Salvation

Law and Grace, Three

Grace is one of the richest words in the Bible. Understanding God's grace means being overwhelmed by the kindness and love that He shows us through Jesus Christ. Grace not only is the means of our salvation, but also helps us understand God's law and God's mercy. Let's find out what the Bible teaches about these three essential concepts.

What Does God Say?

"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy...so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life" (Titus 3:4-5,7; NIV).

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9, NIV).

"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" (John 1:17, NIV).

"For they don't understand God's way of making people right with Himself. Instead, they are clinging to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law. They won't go along with God's way. For Christ has accomplished the whole purpose of the law. All who believe in Him are made right with God. For Moses wrote that the law's way of making a person right with God requires obedience to all of its commands. But the way of getting right with God [is] through faith" (Romans 10:3-6, NLT).

"So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it" (Hebrews 4:16, NLT).

* What do these Scriptures teach about grace, mercy and the Law?

My Thoughts

So often, we are familiar with words like law, mercy and grace. But we do not grasp the simplicity and the rich connotations that these terms have for the child of God. Each word is like a channel through which the love of God flows to us.

The law reminds us that we are sinful and apart from God's love, we can never be the person God created us to be. His mercy reminds us we are under the judgment of a righteous and just God, but His love provided a way of escape. His grace teaches us that God loved us so much He willingly and graciously made it possible for us to come to Himself through Christ.

* Take few moments, think about God's love, and then write down how you have experienced His love through His law, His mercy and His grace.

My Part

Are you trusting in the Law and works (doing your best; doing what's right; doing what's religious) for your salvation (to be accepted by God)? Wouldn't you be much better off and sure of eternity if you trusted God's Word and His Way?

It's all by grace, through faith. You accept Jesus as your Savior believing His death on the cross was God's way of forgiving your sins, and you commit your life to following Christ and doing your best to please God. You can do that right now by praying to God.

If you want to do that, you can pray something like this:

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am sinful and in need of Your forgiveness. I repent of my sinful lifestyle and I want to turn from it and follow You. I believe that You died to pay the penalty for my sins and that You rose from the grave. I invite You to come into my heart and become my Lord and Savior. I ask this in Your name. Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2006, 01:21:52 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 11, 2006

Teacher of the Year

The National Teacher of the Year Program began in 1952. It is the oldest and most prestigious national program that seeks to bring public attention to those who excel in the teaching profession. In 2006, the honor of being teacher of the year went to a Maryland kindergarten teacher named Kimberly Oliver.

As admirable as this achievement is, there is a teacher that has excelled all other teachers in the importance and practicality of what's being taught. We find this teacher in the Bible; it's called the Law. The Law was sometimes used as a shorthand way of saying the whole Old Testament. Let's see what the Bible has to say about this teacher.

What Does God Say?

"Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for your commands are my constant guide" (Psalm 119:98, NLT).

"Let me put it another way. The law was our guardian and teacher to lead us until Christ came. So now, through faith in Christ, we are made right with God" (Galatians 3:24, NLT).

"The law of Moses could not save us, because of our sinful nature. But God put into effect a different plan to save us. He sent his own Son in a human body like ours, except that ours are sinful. God destroyed sin's control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the requirement of the law would be fully accomplished for us who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit" (Romans 8:3-4, NLT).

* What can the Law do for you?
    * What is the purpose of the Law?
    * What can it not do?

My Thoughts

Like any teacher, the Law imparts knowledge. What knowledge have you gained from reading the Old Testament today?

My Part

The first five books of the Old Testament are sometimes called the Law of Moses. Read a chapter from these books each day. Keep a list of the truths you learn from your reading. As God reveals this knowledge to you, pray that the Holy Spirit would help you apply it to your life.

Additional Scripture: Psalm 119

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 12, 2006

Pictures of Then and Now

You've seen those "before and after" photos. They show the person before the diet, and then after they've lost the weight. Or the run-down house ready for renovation and again, once it's restored to its original design. We like to see these changes to say, "'that was then; this is now." Well, there are pictures in your spiritual photo album like that too. They show you what's changed because of Jesus Christ and the new life He gives you.

What Does God Say?

Here's your "before" picture: "Once you were dead, doomed forever because of your many sins. You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passions and desires of our evil nature. We were born with an evil nature, and we were under God's anger just like everyone else" (Ephesians 2:1-3, NLT).

And Colossians 1:21 puts it like this: "You who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions" (NLT).

So, before you met Jesus, before you were saved by grace through His death on the cross, you weren't just distant or ignorant of God--you were His enemy. You were lost, under the power of sin, following your own desires and under His judgment. But all that has now changed.

For the first "after" picture, go back to Colossians 1:19-22: "For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and by him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of his blood on the cross. This includes you who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions, yet now he has brought you back as his friends. He has done this through his death on the cross in his own human body. As a result, he has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault" (NLT).

Ephesians 2:4-7 adds to that: " But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so very much, that even while we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's special favor that you have been saved!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ, and we are seated with him in the heavenly realms--all because we are one with Christ Jesus. And so God can always point to us as examples of the incredible wealth of his favor and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us through Christ Jesus" (NLT).

My Thoughts

Take a few moments to jot down or describe the way your life was before, based on your experience and what you've read in the Bible today. If you like, draw a picture or dig out an old photo that you think reflects the "old you."

Now go through these verses and look at what you have now through Jesus Christ.

* Ephesians 2:4-10
    * Colossians 1:11-14
    * Romans 5:1-11

What does your new picture look like? Describe or draw what you see is different.

Which picture do you like better?

How have you seen the "new you" show up in your life?

My Part

Take a few minutes to reflect on the "then" and "now" pictures of your life.

* Knowing what you know now about your life before and after Jesus, how would you say you need to live?
    * Is there anything that needs to change?
    * Does this give you a new confidence before God? That you can be sure and certain that your life has changed?

Then consider sharing your "before" and "after" pictures with someone else to encourage them, or with a Christian mentor so you can both praise God for the changes He's made in your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 13, 2006
Topic: Salvation

State Versus Standing

There's an important distinction to draw between our "standing" in Christ and the "state" of our lives. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, your standing before God is secure--He sees you as if you've never sinned. He looks at you and sees the perfection of Christ, and nothing can ever change that. However, the reality of how we live is that we continue to sin. Daily. We make choices that go against God's will for us, that contradict His Word, and we mess up time and again.

God may not see us as messy people, but let's face it: Most of us live pretty messy lives.

What Does God Say?

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand" (Romans 5:1-2, NIV).

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:8-9, NIV).

* How is it that we can have peace with God yet continue to sin daily?
    * What gives us access to God? Can that ever change?
    * Is there anything you can do to change your "standing" in Christ once you've become a believer?
    * If our standing before God is secure no matter what, what's our motivation to NOT sin anymore?

My Thoughts

Nothing can change the way God sees you and your position before Him if you have trusted in Jesus Christ. But many things can influence the state of your life.

* How does it affect you to know that God accepts you regardless of what you've done or what you do because of what Jesus did for you?
    * If you were to pick one area of your life to "clean up," what would it be? And what would be the benefit of it, even knowing God views you as sinless? (Hint: There are benefits to "cleaning up.")
    * If you're a parent, do you model a God-like attitude toward your children? Do they know that even when you don't approve of their choices or decisions, they are secure in their "position" as your children and unconditionally loved?

My Part

The only reason we're able to stand blameless before God is because Jesus paid the penalty for our sin. Maybe you've heard that since you were a child, but take a minute to think about it. What if Jesus had decided we weren't worth the pain, suffering and torture He had to endure on our behalf? Then where would we be?

Write a letter, poem or song to Jesus today expressing your gratitude for what He did in securing your place with God for eternity.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2006, 02:49:25 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 14, 2006
Topic: Speech/Words

Words, Words, Words

Imagine you're watching the big game on TV. Your team has worked hard all year to get to this point despite unbelievable odds, and now they have a shot at the championship. Then, on a critical play, the referee calls a foul against your team. Up you shoot out of your chair and start yelling at the ref--only to turn and see your six-year old staring at you with eyes as wide as saucers.

Inappropriate words don't just include obscene words; they include words that attack another person, that show contempt for them. Inappropriate words could even come in the context of a sarcastic comment. See, the tricky thing about words is that almost anything we say can be inappropriate or insulting in a certain context. As hard as we try, it seems impossible to never speak wrongly.

What Does God Say?

The Bible agrees with that. James 3:2 says, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check" (NLT). Take a minute to read through James 3:1-12 and then Ephesians 4:29.

My Thoughts

* To what things does James compare the power of the tongue (our words)?
    * What inconsistencies do we sometimes see in our words?
    * In Ephesians, what words are appropriate to speak?

My Part

This is a very difficult lesson to apply. Even if we agree that we should be encouraging when speaking with others, we know that when we get angry it's almost impossible to control our tongue. The first step is being aware of those around you--different people are sensitive to different things. The second is to be aware that God is always around you. Even in private, He hears your words and knows your thoughts. Finally, ask God for His help in controlling your speech. Finally, clean up your environment. Sometimes, you can't avoid being exposed to inappropriate speech. But what about those areas you do have control over? Ask God for help in deciding what's harmful in your home and what's helpful.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2006, 10:12:37 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 15, 2006

Toxic Wastes

How would you like to take a dip in a toxic waste pit? Of course, not every day, just, say, once every couple of weeks. Surely that wouldn't harm you, would it? If you think not, think again. Once toxic wastes enter your body, they tend to stay there. Over a period of time, they can accumulate to the point where they will cause serious illness or even death.

The same is true spiritually. When we allow "toxic wastes" to enter our mind and heart, they ultimately will cause serious spiritual damage. Let's look at what the Bible has to say about those things that cause damage to our spiritual lives.

What Does God Say?

"But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language" (Colossians 3:8, NLT).

"Run away from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body" (1 Corinthians 6:18, NLT).

"Run from anything that stimulates youthful lust. Follow anything that makes you want to do right. Pursue faith and love and peace, and enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts" (2 Timothy 2:22, NLT).

* List some of the "toxic wastes" that will damage your spiritual life.
    * While all these attitude/behaviors are harmful, which one does the apostle Paul point out that especially affects both spirit and body?
    * What are some of the positives steps that we can take to avoid these toxic wastes?

My Thoughts

Look at the list of harmful substances in Colossians 3:8. (Also check Ephesians 4:31 and 2 Timothy 3:3.) Which of these toxic wastes are present in your life? How can you remove them?

My Part

This week, take an objective look at your friendships. Have you been allowing relationships in your life which are creating "toxic wastes"? What steps can you take to remove these harmful influences?

Additional Scripture: Ephesians 4:31, 2 Timothy 3:3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2006, 01:14:30 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Sep 18, 2006
Topic: Worship/Praise/Worthiness

The Voice of Creation

I hope all of you have the opportunity at some point in your lives to seriously look at the stars. It's almost impossible to believe that each of the pinpricks of light is a flaming ball of fire as big or bigger than our sun. Trying to grasp the dimensions of the universe is one of the truly memorable moments of life.

What did King David see when he looked at the stars? Did he recognize that some of them were actually planets like the earth? Did he understand that those faint smudges of light in the sky were actually galaxies containing millions of stars? He must have felt something when he looked at the stars.

What Does God Say?

Psalm 8:3-4 contains David's amazed musings:

"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?"(NKJV).

It makes you wonder why the heavens are so vast. As much as we can see from earth, that's only a bare fraction of a percent of the wonders the universe contains. Why did God create such a vast universe that we will never see from earth?

Psalm 19 has the answer for us:

"The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork.
Day unto day utters speech,
And night unto night reveals knowledge.
There is no speech nor language
Where their voice is not heard.
Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their words to the end of the world" (vv. 1-4, NKJV).

In its own way, all the universe is constantly singing a chorus of praise to God. Not only that, it encourages all of us to sing along.

My Thoughts

* In what ways does the universe reflect the nature of God?
    * David asks the question, "What is man that You [God] are mindful of him?" What do you think is the answer to that question?

My Part

Take some time today to do an Internet search for pictures from the Hubble Telescope or any other astronomical images. You'll find some truly jaw-dropping images of star formations and galaxies so far away that we need terms like "light-year" to describe their distance. As you consider the awesome power of God on display, take a moment to echo the praises of nature. As much as God loves the praises of the stars, the praises lifted up by men, women and children are infinitely sweeter to His ear.

Additional Scripture: Psalm 19:1-4

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the