Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Psalms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psalms  (Read 43541 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2006, 09:01:20 AM »

24-29. "But My faithfulness and My mercy shall be with him; and in My Name shall his horn be exalted. I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers. He shall cry to Me, You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation. Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth. My mercy will I keep for him forevermore, and My covenant shall stand fast with him. His seed also will I make to endure forever, and his throne as the days of heaven."

It is the delight of faith to contemplate Jesus thus exalted by Jehovah's power to the throne of salvation. The Father proclaims Him, 'You are My Son, this day have I begotten You.' His voice responds, 'You are My Father, My God, and the Rock of My salvation.' The promise goes forth, 'I will make His seed to endure forever.' Eternal glory shall be the sure property of all who believe in Him. Shall we not laud Him with all the faculties that we possess; and trust Him at every moment of our time!

30-37. "If his children forsake My law, and walk not in My judgments; If they break My statutes, and keep not My commandments; Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor permit My faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that has gone out of My lips. Once have I sworn by My holiness, that I will not lie to David. His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before Me. It shall be established forever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven."

It is sadly foreseen, that His children will ofttimes be transgressors, and stray from gospel-paths. God will mark their iniquities, and due chastisement shall recall them to His ways. But still their rejection shall not be final. Lovingkindness will not expire. The covenant shall abide secure. Jehovah's oath shall not be broken. Not one of Christ's seed shall perish. His throne shall never totter. It shall abide, as the moon in the firmament. It shall appear as the rainbow, the pledge that no deluge shall return.

38-45. "But You have cast off and abhorred, You have been angry with Your anointed. You have made void the covenant of Your servant; You have profaned his crown by casting it to the ground. You have broken down all his hedges; You have brought his strongholds to ruin. All those who pass by the way plunder him; he is a reproach to his neighbors. You have set up the right hand of his adversaries; You have made all his enemies to rejoice. You have also turned the edge of his sword, and have not made him to stand in the battle. You have made his glory to cease, and cast his throne down to the ground. The days of his youth have You shortened; You have covered him with shame."

The scene is here changed. To all appearance David's kingdom is brought very low. His enemies are allowed to triumph. His days are shortened, and shame covers the land. All things indicate desertion. Such is the case in the spiritual kingdom. But though sins may bring dark days, the sun still rules in heaven. The covenant may not screen from temporal distress, but it secures eternal life.

46-52. "How long, Lord? will You hide Yourself forever? shall Your wrath burn like fire? Remember how short my time is; why have You made all men in vain? What man is he who lives, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Lord, where are Your former loving kindnesses, which You swore to David in Your truth? Remember, Lord, the reproach of Your servants; how I bear in my bosom the reproach of all the mighty people; With which Your enemies have reproached, O Lord; with which they have reproached the footsteps of Your anointed. Blessed be the Lord forevermore. Amen, and Amen."

Faith has undying root in the believer's heart. Cast down, it is not cast off. It can still send forth the voice of prayer. It can still call God to look down graciously. It can implore that sufferings may be pitied, and cruelty rebuked. Deliverance thus sought will be given. The mercies of the covenant stand as a rock, and the rejoicing spirit will soon shout, 'Blessed be the Lord forevermore! Amen and Amen.'

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2006, 09:04:46 AM »

Psalm 90

This Psalm is entitled "A Prayer of Moses, the man of God." As such it justly claims devout attention as the earliest of inspired songs. In adopting it may we move forward on the heavenward road!

1. "Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations."

Happy has been the experience of the saints of God at every period. They could always find a home on high, in which they might repose and sweetly dwell. To all who approach in the name of Jesus the portals of heaven open, and smiles welcome. By faith may we thus enter, and in God continually abide. No monarch occupies so grand a palace.

2. "Before the mountains were brought forth, or before You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting You are God."

A glorious description of the self-existent and everlasting God here meets us. Before time was, while time rolls on, when time shall be no more, He lives—the great "I am that I am."

3-6. "You turn man to destruction; and say, Return, you children of men. For a thousand years in Your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. You carry them away as with a flood; they are as a sleep; in the morning they are like grass which grows up. In the morning it flourishes, and grows up; in the evening it is cut down, and withers."

In contrast mark the short-lived instability of man. Formed of the dust of the earth, God speaks the word, and to that dust he instantly returns. In God's sight time has no place. A thousand years are but as a fleeting day. Many images combine to show the brevity of man's existence. A rushing torrent bears him out of sight. Sleep soon ceases, and in the morning leaves no trace. The night-watch tarries not. When day dawns the grass is green, before evening it is withered up. Human life is but a momentary bloom.

7-9. "For we are consumed by Your anger, and by Your wrath are we troubled. You have set our iniquities before You, our secret sins in the light of Your countenance. For all our days have passed away in Your wrath; we spend our years as a tale that is told."

Sin is the root of this nothingness. Our iniquities are many. They may be hidden from our view; but they are all unmistakable to the omniscience of God. When His anger is aroused, we vanish as the remembrance of a brief recital.

10. "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

Those who are permitted to count threescore years and ten, should regard their allotted course as fully run. The fleeting generations in the wilderness taught this lesson to Moses. Few who entered Canaan had seen that period. If unusual strength should lengthen out man's days, the failing powers bring labor and sorrow. The continuance is fleeting. Departure is at the door.

11-12. "Who knows the power of Your anger? even according to Your fear so is Your wrath. So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom."

God is not limited in any attribute. His anger then may work dreadfully. Let us tremble to provoke His wrath; and rather in knowledge of life's brevity give our little space to search for true wisdom. He is well taught who studies God in Christ.

13-17. "Return, O Lord, how long? and let it repent You concerning Your servants. O satisfy us early with Your mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Make us glad according to the days wherein You have afflicted us, and the years wherein we have seen evil. Let Your work appear unto Your servants, and Your glory unto their children. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us; and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands."

Solemn prayers are the fitting conclusion. The Lord is implored to return, to relax displeasure, to cause mercy to overflow. Then joy and gladness will super-abound. He will not be slow to reveal His wondrous power to beautify His people with salvation, and to make all their work to prosper. May these prayers ever ascend from our hearts! Descending blessings will crown us with delights.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2006, 09:07:52 AM »

Psalm 91

Internal textual evidence establishes that the apprehension of near sickness and the approach of pestilence awakened this Psalm. Firm confidence is expressed in God's protecting power. May we find Him a very present help in all our troubles!

1. "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."

The Ark behind the veil was regarded as the symbol of God's presence. Common gaze penetrates not the secret place. In general men do not strive for acquaintance with God. They do not seek Him in Christ. But those who thus find Him will ever cling to Him with strengthening grasp. They will rest in Him as in a calm and cool abode. His shadow will ward off the fiery darts of Satan, and avert the hot persecution of the ungodly.

2. "I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress; my God; in Him will I trust."

Faith makes bold profession. It casts off fear, and avows that in God it finds a safe retreat—a sure protection—an almighty friend. This confidence will never be disappointed.

3-6. "Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the harmful pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings shall you trust; His truth shall be your shield and rampart. You shall not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flies by day; nor for the pestilence that walks in darkness; nor for the destruction that wastes at noonday."

Troubles are enumerated such as are common to this mortal lot. But trust in God exalts above their fatal reach. The fowler may lay hidden snares, but they shall not entrap. The noxious pestilence shall inflict no deathful wound. The Almighty shall extend His covering wing. His faithful promises shall uphold the combatant in the hour of battle. By night, by day, the dwelling shall be impervious to plague.

There may be a literal reference to the deliverance of Israel's sons, and their exemption from all contact with harm when plagues laid low the Egyptian hosts. There may be spiritual reference to the deliverance of God's children from the destroying attacks of Satan. But one truth is undeniable. The real happiness and safety of true believers is emphatically assured, and we are exhorted to pray for sustaining faith, and in all perils to trust without one fear.

7-10. "A thousand shall fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you. Only with your eyes shall you behold and see the reward of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the Most High, your habitation; there no evil shall befall you, neither shall any plague come near your dwelling."

Other terms are added to strengthen assurance. Those who by faith repose on God shall surely be upheld. Though troubles be multiplied, they shall never be cast off. In much apparent peril they shall be really safe.

11-12. "For He shall give His angels charge over You, to keep You in all Your ways. They shall bear You up in their hands, lest You dash Your foot against a stone."

This promise is distinctly addressed to Jesus. As such the devil quoted it, and Jesus heard without rejection. If we are one with Jesus, the promises which were poured upon His head will flow down to us, and will invest us in security.

13-16. "You shall tread upon the lion and adder; the young lion and the dragon shall you trample under feet. Because He has set His love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him, and show him My salvation."

The same encouraging strain still sounds. All who have set their love on God, and all who know His name, may claim fulfillment. They shall have deliverance in every day of trouble. God will honor them in time, and honor them with a long life, even forever and ever. Happy indeed are the people who thus dwell in the secret place of the Most High.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »

Psalm 92

Here strong exhortations enforce the duty of praise. Motives for such adoration are specified. May they tune our hearts to luxuriate in like pastures of joy!

1-3. "It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to show forth Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night, upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound."

Thanksgiving raises the heart above this lower scene. It is the melody which sounds in heaven. It should be the happiness of earth. Our mercies are boundless and unmerited. For each, warm praise should be uplifted.

But here our powers wane. Let us pray that the Spirit may revive and strengthen them. Let gratitude to God brighten the dawn of day. Let the last sounds of evening bear testimony to His faithfulness. Thus let each day declare that loving and faithful is the Lord. Every faculty and every means of harmony should be summoned to give aid to heaven-taught praise.

4. "For You, Lord, have made me glad through Your work; I will triumph in the works of Your hands."

A mighty motive impels the believer's heart. It is experience of God's wondrous dealings. Marvels of love are shown in creation, providence, and grace. The believer knows that all things work together for his good. He doubts not that goodness and mercy will follow him all the days of his life; that victory over all foes and impediments is before him; and that at last he shall reign in triumph. Can he realize these truths and not exult in praises?

5-9. "O Lord, how great are Your works! and Your thoughts are very deep. A brutish man knows not; neither does a fool understand this. When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity flourish; it is those who shall be destroyed forever. But You, Lord, are most high forevermore. For, lo, Your enemies, O Lord, for, lo, Your enemies shall perish; all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered."

Ignorance of God's power encompasses the world in darkness. The ungodly show a flourishing appearance. They spring up in multitudes. But their prosperity is short-lived. God speaks and nothingness becomes their grave. All who oppose Him have a fruitless toil. They labor only to insure destruction.

10-11. "But you have made me as strong as a wild bull. How refreshed I am by your power! With my own eyes I have seen the downfall of my enemies; with my own ears I have heard the defeat of my wicked opponents."

The ungodly will surely perish. So surely will the godly triumph. Mighty strength shall be supplied, which shall level mountains of hindrances. Joy and gladness shall be their portion. They shall receive the unction of the Holy One. Where are their foes? They are brought low. What sound reaches the ear? It is the wailing of hopeless agany.

12-15. "The righteous shall flourish like the palm-tree; he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; to show that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."

Images of verdure and fertility depict the beauteous prosperity of the righteous. We learn too in what soil they are rooted. They are planted in the house of the Lord. They live in heavenly fellowship. They realize God's presence. They delight in His ordinances. Their fruitfulness is that of the choicest trees. Their last days shall be their best. Their works of age shall exceed those of youth. This assurance comes from the character of their God. Like the rock, He cannot be moved; and His uprightness ratifies His word. Security promised is security enjoyed.

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »

Psalm 93

The reign of Christ here shines forth in illustrious splendor. It is glorious in power and holiness. May the description lead our hearts to more intense desire to serve devotedly our heavenly King!

1. "The Lord reigns; He is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength, with which He has girded Himself; the world also is established, that it cannot be moved."

esus is proclaimed as King. What confidence, what peace should this assurance give! He reigns supreme. All power is given to Him in heaven and in earth. His kingdom rules over all. Irresistible is His sway. Nothing can thwart His sovereign will. He directs all things in providence and grace, in time and in eternity. He appears in His royal robes of majesty and glory. Let us meekly bend the knee, and give the homage due to His supremacy. He wears the belt of omnipotence. Let us delight in the thought. It proclaims the security of those who seek the shelter of His wings. The earth is the present scene of their abode, and no power can shake its stability. It rests on firmness and cannot be moved.

2. "My throne is established of old; You are from everlasting."

Earthly kingdoms quickly rise and fall. Yesterday they were not; tomorrow they are gone. A breath makes them, and a breath destroys. But eternity is the possession of this King. Before time was, He lived "I AM." When time shall be no more, He still shall be the great "I AM."

3, 4. "The floods have lifted up, O Lord, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves. The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yes, than the mighty waves of the sea."

Though Jesus is thus mighty, He reigns not unopposed. Wild and frantic passions are in commotion against Him. Mark the sea when raging tempests lash its billows into fury. Terribly they swell. Gigantic waves lift up their foaming heads. They dash against the rocks, as if their strength could overcome all barriers. But they toss and swell in vain. Thus the maddened rage of rebel man is weak against this kingdom. Christ sits above the water floods. He calmly views the impotent infatuation. Happy are those who are forever one with Him. They too shall sit on thrones.

5. "Your testimonies are very sure; holiness becomes Your house, O Lord, forever."

Repeated testimonies announce with trumpet-tongue this truth. The Word abounds with declarations that the government is upon Christ's shoulder. This Word cannot be broken. His empire must abide forever. Sweet is the concluding word. His right hand is full of righteousness. The scepter of His kingdom is a right scepter. All His rule is holy. Holiness is inscribed on all His work, ordinances, and decrees. His people, also, are all holy. Holiness is the bright title on their brow. May we be holy even as our Lord is holy! May our constant prayer be, Sanctify us wholly, body, soul, and spirit! Sanctify us through Your truth! Thus alone can we take comfort in the hope of gazing forever on the unclouded glory of our God. Heaven is holiness in more than meridian splendor. The entrance of evil in the slightest form would change the total appearance. Light could not be one with darkness. The torrid zone could not show icy plains. The door is barred against iniquity. The Lamb's bride is all-glorious without in the pure obedience of the Lord, and all-glorious within through the indwelling of the Spirit.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2006, 09:34:29 AM »

Psalm 94

God is supplicated to maintain His cause and not to allow His enemies to triumph. Afflictions are named as frequent benefits, and the afflicted are assured of comfort. May this hymn teach and console!

1-2. "O Lord God, to whom vengeance belongs; O God, to whom vengeance belongs, show Yourself. Lift Yourself up, Judge of the earth; render a reward to the proud."

Faith knows that it may boldly call upon God to manifest His rebuking powers. It desires that evil may cease. It knows that if God should arise, this issue would quickly be accomplished, and the proud lie low in shame.

3-7. "Lord, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked triumph? How long shall they utter and speak hard things? and all the workers of iniquity boast themselves? They break in pieces Your people, O Lord, and afflict your heritage; They slay the widow and the stranger, and murder the fatherless. Yet they say, the Lord shall not see, neither shall the God of Jacob regard it."

Cries for God's interference are redoubled. The cruelty of the ungodly seems to prevail too long. Various acts of their tyranny and oppression are enumerated. The godly know that help only can come from heaven. Thus supplications are multiplied.

8-10. "Understand, you brutish among the people; and you fools, when will you be wise? He who planted the ear, shall He not hear? He who formed the eye, shall He not see? He who chastises the heathen, shall not He correct? He who teaches man knowledge, shall not He know?"

Remonstrance is addressed to the ungodly. They are rebuked for their presumption. They are reminded of the power and omniscience of God. He who endows man with organs of intelligence, shall He not be intelligent? Shall He from whom all knowledge comes, lack knowledge? Omniscience is His attribute. No evil can escape detection. The hand of punishment will work vengeance.

11-13. "The Lord knows the thoughts of man, that they are vanity. Blessed is the man whom You chasten, O Lord, and teach him out of Your law; that You may give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit is dug for the wicked."

Vain man may plot iniquity. But he sows the wind to reap the whirlwind. Afflictions may thus be heaped on the righteous; but they will prove to be real mercies. They often are blessings in disguise. They will drive to the study of God's Word. Thus the blessed man will find delight and profit in the contemplations of God's law. And yet a little while he will see that the ungodly have fought against themselves.

14-16. "For the Lord will not cast off His people, neither will He forsake His inheritance; but judgment shall return unto righteousness; and all the upright in heart shall follow it. Who will rise up for me against the evil-doers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"

Forever is the grand truth established in heaven, I will never leave you nor forsake you. The Lord hates putting away. With Him is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. His sheep shall never perish, neither shall any pluck them out of His hand. In all our trials let us trust and not be afraid.

17-23. "Unless the Lord had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence. When I said, My foot slips; Your mercy, O Lord, held me up. In the multitude of my thoughts within me Your comforts delight my soul. Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with You, which frames mischief by a law? They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood. But the Lord is my defense; and my God is the rock of my refuge. And He shall bring upon them their own iniquity, and shall cut them off in their own wickedness; yes, the Lord our God shall cut them off."

If God could desert, the godly must perish. But this can never be, and therefore they live and prosper. And in all the misgivings of their troubled minds God's comforts are their support. There is an dreadful contrast. God will arise, and uttermost perdition will overwhelm all wickedness.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »

Psalm 95

Warm exhortations call to joyful thanksgivings. It is shown that God is truly entitled to such homage. Warnings to the unbelieving and disobedient are adjoined. May the life-giving Spirit teach us!

1-2. "O come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto Him with psalms."

It is good to encourage each other in every holy work, especially in the work of encircling our God with praises. Abundant causes awaken thanksgivings. He is the strength of our salvation. Who can estimate what salvation is? It is decreed in the counsels of the Triune Jehovah. It is wrought out by the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ. It is applied by the great God the Holy Spirit. Let us therefore gladly hasten into His presence and throng His courts. Let us be loud and fervent in acclamations of delight. Salvation is a rock raised and supported by Jehovah.

3-5. "For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In His hand are the deep places of the earth; the strength of the hills is His also. The sea is His, and He made it; and His hands formed the dry land."

Consider the mighty motives which kindle our gratitude. Ponder God's majesty and greatness. Potentates of earth vanish before Him. Their power is utter weakness. He is invested with all supremacy as King of kings and Lord of lords. Mark creation's multitudinous fabric. He spoke the word, and the world assumed existence. All things in land and sea bow to His sway. Great are these wonders. He is Lord, whose will created and maintains the universal frame of nature.

6-7. "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture, and the sheep of His hand."

Such contemplation should prostrate us before His throne. We are also especially led to worship when we consider His inestimable goodness. He is the tender Shepherd. We are the flock of His watchful care. He leads us to lie down in the green pastures of His truth. He guides us to drink the still waters of His refreshing love. Let us then in deep humility adore.

8-11. "Today if you will hear His voice, harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness, when your fathers tempted Me, proved Me, and saw My work. Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people who err in their heart, and they have not known My ways. Unto whom I swore in My wrath, that they should not enter into My rest."

Let there be no delay. Today Jehovah calls us. Tomorrow our ears may be incapable to hear. Let us use every means to melt and soften our obdurate hearts. If they are hardened, we shall love error and hate truth.

The case of the children of Israel gives dreadful warning. We know how they tempted and provoked their God. We know how His word went forth that they should not enter into the rest of the promised land. The home of faith is open to us, where we may calmly rest from all our works. The rest of heaven is also promised. By faith may we now rest in Christ, and pass from this present rest to the eternal rest of heaven. We marvel at the mad rebellion of Israel's sons. We condemn their hearts as harder than the nether millstone. It seems incredible that through their long pilgrimage they would not see the leading hand of God. While we blame them, let us look inward. If we should similarly err, can we escape their doom?

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2006, 09:42:10 AM »

Psalm 96

Again we are loudly called to magnify the Lord in joyful song. Thoughts are directed to the extension of Christ's kingdom. He is proclaimed as coming to consummate salvation. May our souls respond, "Come, Lord Jesus, come quickly!"

1-3. "O sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord, bless His name; show forth His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the heathen, His wonders among all people."

Praise never can be too exuberant. Everything that has breath should live to praise the Lord. In this work there never should be weariness. Causes of praise are ever fresh, and fresh should be the responding notes. Let us sing a new song. New thoughts, new motives should enliven the soul. Our hearts should ever seek renewal, and be looking onward to the new heavens and the new earth, where He shall reign who has made all things new. Hence new should be our song. As day succeeds to day, so let praise succeed to praise. Let too our diligent efforts convey to the poor and ignorant of every climate the tidings of redeeming love. Let the heathen learn through us the glories of Christ's salvation.

4-6. "For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised; He is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols; but the Lord made the heavens. Honor and majesty are before Him; strength and beauty are in His sanctuary."

Behold the greatness, the supremacy, the glory of our God. Heathen idols are utter vanity. Let us call the poor heathen to cease to bow down to stocks and stones. Let us teach them to worship Him who has made heaven and earth. This worship is mighty to enliven and sanctify. It is beautified with all the radiancy of heaven's glory.

7-9. "Give to the Lord, O you kindreds of the people, give to the Lord glory and strength. Give to the Lord the glory due to His name; bring an offering, and come into His courts. O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness; fear before Him, all the earth."

Who can describe the pure delight of spiritual worship! Let us draw near to Him who is a Spirit in spirit and in truth. Let it be our choice joy, to magnify His holy name, to ascribe to Him the glory which is so greatly His, and to acknowledge the omnipotence with which He is invested. Let it be our delight to consecrate to Him all the resources with which we are endowed; to present to Him ourselves, our bodies, souls, and spirits, which are His by every right of creation, redemption, conquest, and our own surrender. Let us reverently seek His hallowed courts, and offer holy service. There is no beauty to be compared with holiness, which is the reflection of our God.

10-13. "Say among the heathen, that the Lord reigns; the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved; He shall judge the people righteously. Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and all its fullness. Let the field be joyful, and all that is in it; then shall all the trees of the forest rejoice before the Lord; for He comes, for He comes to judge the earth; He shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with His truth."

Nothing quickens praise more than constant expectation of the coming of the Lord. Yet a little while and He who shall come will come and will not tarry. Behold He comes leaping upon the mountains and skipping upon the hills. Oh thrice blessed, thrice glorious day! The heavens and the earth, with their ten thousand tongues, shall rejoice and sing. Righteous shall be His reign. Truth shall be exalted, and the tabernacle of God shall be with men. Should not this prospect warm our hearts to spread abroad His glorious name! Surely the very stones would rebuke our silence.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2006, 09:44:26 AM »

Psalm 97

Faith is encouraged to joyfully contemplate Christ's kingdom. It may be hidden from the world; but it is dreadful to all adversaries. Exhortations follow to abound in holy joy.

1. "The Lord reigns; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad thereof."

The Lord reigns. This is the Gospel's note. It is a truth prolific of holy joy. All events obey His scepter. In every circumstance, therefore, joy should wave its tranquil wand throughout the heart. Every occurrence should whisper, It is the Lord; let Him do what seems good to Him. Events may sometimes show a frowning aspect, but happy believers receive them as blessings in disguise.

2. "Clouds and darkness are round about Him; righteousness and judgment are the habitation of His throne."

Faith may not always discern the intent of God's rule. To the ungodly His will is shrouded in impenetrable darkness. They do not know the mighty Ruler. They do not understand the workings of His hand. Solemn lessons are embodied in the word. If they had known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But His throne is established high on the pinnacle of righteousness and justice. All the decrees of His tribunal are offsprings of these attributes, and shine as reflections of His glory. Happy, indeed, are those in whose hearts the Lord God reigns righteously.

3-6. "A fire goes before Him, and burns up His enemies round about. His lightnings enlightened the world; the earth saw, and trembled. The hills melted like wax at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth. The heavens declare His righteousness, and all the people see His glory."

Thoughts here recall Sinai's terrors. When the fiery law was promulgated, dreadful manifestations announced that vengeance would destroy opponents. In Christ's kingdom, holy indignation is also against all unrighteousness. Here strong images are employed to show that wrath will scrutinize and rightly execute its tremendous work. Tribulation and anguish must be the rebel's doom. Blessed are those who are delivered from this wrath, and are translated into the kingdom of God's dear Son.

7-9. "Confounded be all those who serve engraved images, that boast themselves of idols; worship Him, all you gods. Zion heard, and was glad; and the daughters of Judah rejoiced because of Your judgments, O Lord. For You, Lord, are high above all the earth; You are exalted far above all gods."

Let no fond dream suggest that idolatry is not an abomination in God's sight. Truth has denounced its sure destruction, and destruction will surely come. Let all who hear take warning, and meekly bow before the King of kings. The ear of faith hears God's resolve, and rejoices in the thought that homage and worship shall be rendered to Him to whom it is so justly due.

10-12. "You who love the Lord, hate evil; He preserves the souls of His saints; He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance o f His holiness."

Believers are here pointedly described. Their conspicuous feature is love of their Lord. It is a true address, 'O You Whom my soul loves!' He demands our hearts. Let them be His in every pulse, at every moment. The best proof of this love will be hatred of all that is adverse to Him. Those who love Him will nestle in His heart, and His power will screen them from all harm. As seed sown springs from the bosom of the earth, so light and gladness are laid up for the happy flock, and assuredly will be their portion. They have all cause to rejoice, to be glad, and to give thanks. God's holiness frightens the wicked. The thought is terror to them. His servants ponder this attribute with delight. They turn not from the precept, 'Be holy, for I am holy.'

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »

Psalm 98

Exhortations to sing praises are here prolonged. Views of Christ's kingdom suggest ample topics. May they kindle holy warmth in our hearts!

1. "O sing to the Lord a new song; for He has done marvelous things; His right hand, and His holy arm, has gotten Him the victory."

Praise can never be exhausted. The more we contemplate the exploits of our Lord, the more we are moved to uplift adoration. The lessons of yesterday are expanded by the lessons of today. Fresh discoveries awaken new songs. But still no words can fully sing the wondrous works of God. Wonder is inscribed on Creation in its every part, and on Providence in its perpetual evolutions. But the wonders of Redeeming Love shine with the brightest blaze. Here Christ appears the mighty conqueror. Hell and its legion had usurped dominion over man. Many chains enthralled him. He was bound in irons of captivity. Jesus undertakes the rescue. He leads captivity captive, and saves His people from the cruel grasp. Alone He does the work. He by Himself purges our sins. Alone He hangs upon the accursed tree. Alone He tramples Satan beneath His feet. To Him be all the praise. In Him salvation triumphs.

2-3. "The Lord has made known His salvation; His righteousness has He openly shown in the sight of the heathen. He has remembered His mercy and His truth toward the house of Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God."

His glorious victory is proclaimed throughout earth's length and breadth. Those who dwell in heathen darkness shall hear the wondrous tidings. All the gracious promises to Israel's sons shall be abundantly fulfilled. Is mercy pledged? Mercy to the uttermost shall be given. Every word of eternal truth shall be established. Salvation shall be adored, wherever man draws breath.

4-6. "Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise. Sing to the Lord with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm. With trumpets, and sound of cornet, make a joyful noise before the Lord the King."

The claims of the Lord upon resounding praise are here exhibited in emphatic terms. When the heart and affections are thoroughly engaged, every power will be used. Not only will the lips be loud in their utterance, but everything which art can supply and instruments contribute will be thus hallowed. Nothing will be withheld, which can with reverence give aid.

7-9. "Let the sea roar, and all its fullness; the world, and those who dwell in it. Let the floods clap their hands; let the hills be joyful together before the Lord; for He comes to judge the earth; with righteousness shall He judge the world, and the people with equity."

Universal nature is next addressed. Everything which the Lord made should in some sense be handmaid to His praise. Let us hear in the roaring of the billows the acknowledgment of His Being. Let us see in the forests and the hills evidence of His greatness. Above all let us praise Him for the glories of His coming kingdom. Blessed be His holy name, He comes, He surely comes, He quickly comes. He shall take to Himself His great power and reign, and His kingdom shall be righteousness. Then earth will be one wide expanse of universal joy. Nature will put on her renovated dress. The sea in all its amplitude, the earth with all who occupy its space, the floods, the hills, with joyful tongues will swell the triumph. Let us by glad anticipation learn to take our part.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2006, 09:58:12 AM »

Psalm 99

Attention is again called to the greatness and glory of Christ's kingdom. Exhortations to worship Him suitably follow. May the Spirit write them on our hearts!

1. "The Lord reigns; let the people tremble; He sits between the cherubims; let the earth be moved."

The Gospel-note here sounds again. The Holy Spirit delights to proclaim Jesus seated supreme upon His throne. This thought is an overflowing cup of joy. It presents strong consolation. Oh! that He might reign in us, and make our hearts His chosen home. But with this comfort awe should be intermixed. We should tremble lest any rebel passion should dispute His rule. This fear should keep us lowly in submission. His high seat too is a throne of grace. It is foreshadowed by the mercy-seat, over which the cherubim spread their wings. Let us adore Him as our King. Let the whole earth be one activity of service.

2-3. "The Lord is great in Zion; and He is high above all the people. Let them praise Your great and awesome name; for it is holy."

The greatness of our King exceeds all thought. His might is truly omnipotent. His will is irresistible. Therefore His name is awesome, and no foe can stand against Him. If He speaks, opponents crumble into very dust. But holiness reigns simultaneously with His greatness. He is holy in working salvation for His people. He is holy in executing vengeance on His adversaries.

4-5. "The King's strength also loves judgment; You establish equity, You execute judgment and righteousness in Jacob. Exalt the Lord our God and worship at His footstool; for He is holy."

Our mighty King, the strength of His people, takes especial delight in vindicating the cause of the oppressed. In His kingdom righteous dealings are the rule. Mighty motives urge us to fall low before Him, and to adore Him as the Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of Hosts.

6-7. "Moses and Aaron among His priests, and Samuel among those who call upon His name; they called upon the Lord, and He answered them. He spoke to them in the cloudy pillar; they kept His testimonies, and the ordinance that He gave them."

We are encouraged to worship by the example of the holiest saints of old. Consider Moses and Aaron. They were servants who ministered to Him. Regard Samuel. His life was consecrated to render service. It was their delight, also, to pour out their hearts in prayer. Did they pray in vain? That could not be. The Lord's ears were ever open to their cry, and ready answers flew on the wings of love. He was ever near to hold communion with them. Out of the overshadowing cloud His, commands were heard, and reverence hastened to obey.

8-9. "You answered them, O Lord our God; You were a God that forgave them, though You took vengeance on their inventions. Exalt the Lord our God, and worship at His holy hill; for the Lord our God is holy."

But still the favored people were but men. In sin they were conceived. Therefore they often started aside as a broken bow. Thus they were brought into grievous straits, and God's displeasure could not be withheld. But still He was a God ready to pardon. Where sin abounded forgiving mercy abounded much more. Can we refrain to adore, to worship, and to praise! We rob our souls of their most hallowed joy when we are slow to revel in this exercise. It is Godlike condescension that His ears are open to our feeble strains of worship. Shall He be willing to accept our worthless tribute, and shall we reluctantly present it? Forbid it, every feeling of our hearts!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »

Psalm 100

This hymn has been, and still is, the delight of Christian hearts. Its pervading note is a call to adoring praise. Praise is due to our God, because of His sovereignty, and His tender care. May praise ever fill our hearts and dwell on our lips!

1-2. "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all you lands. Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing."

Throughout the length and breadth of the earth the praises of God should be the joyful sound. The feeling should be mighty in our hearts, and should swell in no feeble strain. It should be our chief joy to render service to the Lord. His people are called to dwell in realms of happiness. Their whole existence should give a good report of His gracious dealings. His worship should be their constant pleasure-ground; it should resound with notes of melody and thanksgiving. Eternity will be too short fully to recount His praise. Let us not shorten our joy by neglecting to begin on earth.

3. "Know that the Lord is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture."

It is good to call others to the knowledge of the Lord. This is a wondrous theme, and well demands our utmost powers. In the first place we should commend His glorious supremacy. But who can tell His essence as God! His name is opened out to us in His blessed attributes. Each calls us to proclaim Him in varied terms. We live on earth; wondrous is the thought! Where did we acquire our being? His will called us from nothingness to be living souls. The breath of life is entirely His gift. Let us never forget that we are His by creative power. But we are His forever by His covenant-engagements. He has chosen us to be His favored flock. He has selected us to be the sheep of His pasture. It is through His distinguishing grace that we are brought to revel in the rich pastures of Gospel-truth, and to draw water with joy out of the wells of salvation.

4-5. "Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise; be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting; and His truth endures to all generations."

Shall we not then throng His courts with praise, and cause His sanctuary to resound with adorations! Again and again topics of praise abound around us. With joyful lips let us speak of all His goodness. It is unsearchable, unmerited, infinite, everlasting. Let us here begin the testimony which can never end. From age to age His truth shall live; from age to age let joyful lips proclaim it! Amen.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2006, 07:35:14 AM »

Psalm 101

Rules are prescribed for godly government. Advice is given to those who exercise authority. May all take heed; for to each some influence belongs.

1-2. "I will sing of mercy and judgment; unto You, O Lord, will I sing. I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when will You come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart."

Praise is the inhabitant of the godly heart. The Psalmist engages that songs to the Lord shall be his glad employ. Mercy and judgment compose the happy theme. To think of God's mercy is the delight of delights. To utter its praise is a foretaste of heaven. Judgment, also, claims its place. The Lord is not slow to vindicate what is the right. His righteous dealings should be magnified continually.

But the mercy and the judgment, which are the attributes of the Lord, should also be the characteristics of magisterial rulers. Those who are invested with the exercise of authority should realize that they are ordained by God to represent Him. Therefore His mode of governing should be their studied pattern. But left to themselves men are poor and ignorant and weak. Every man in his best estate is altogether vanity. Hence our prayer for the teaching and indwelling of the Spirit should be earnest and incessant. Oh, when will You come unto me? His presence is light and strength and power. It never is denied to those who truly serve and seek Him.

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved of My Father, and We will come to him, and take up Our abode with him. Thus the pious man looks up for heavenly aid, and resolves that he will act with wisdom and discretion. He will diligently watch that no flaw shall stain his godly walk. His heart shall be wholly given to the Lord; and the heart is the rudder of all conduct.

3. "I will set no wicked thing before my eyes; I hate the work of those who turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

He will guard the portal of every sense. If evil is before him, he will close his eyes, lest some pollution should gain entrance. He will utterly abhor the works of those who deviate from the path of piety. Their work shall be shunned with disgust.

4. "A perverse heart shall depart from me; I will not know a wicked person."

The world abounds with self-willed and perverse rebels. They submit to no righteous rule. These shall be banished from the sight of the righteous. No wicked man shall be among their friends. Their joy shall be in the select company of the godly.

5-8. "Whoever privily slanders his neighbor, him will I cut off; he who has a high look and a proud heart will not I suffer. My eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that he may dwell with me who walks in a perfect way, he shall serve me. He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house; he who tells lies shall not tarry in my sight. I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the Lord."

Truth and uprightness shall adorn their attendants. The faithful and the holy shall have office in their house. Wickedness shall be utterly expelled. Surely here is a picture of the blessed household of the King of kings. It is written, Your people shall be all righteous; they shall inherit the land forever, the branch of My planting, the work of My hands, that I may be glorified. If earthly rulers should be surrounded by a godly retinue, surely this rule will order the celestial court. Have we by faith put on the garment of salvation, the spotless robe of Christ's obedience? Have we received the Spirit to sanctify each movement of our hearts? Such is the glorious company of the celestial home.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2006, 07:36:42 AM »

Psalm 102

The soul trembling under God's displeasure is in extreme anguish. Its misery pours out a multitude of complaints. Various images lend their aid. Hope is found only in God and His unchanging love.

1-2. "Hear my prayer, O Lord, and let my cry come unto You. Hide not Your face from me in the day when I amt in trouble; incline Your ear unto me; in the day when I call answer me speedily."

An inviting hand is always beckoning us to the mercy-seat. Its gates are widely open. Tender compassion calls us. Abundant promises insure success. We may draw near boldly and plead the all-atoning blood. Especially in times of distress we are encouraged to utter the desires of our hearts. We may use holy violence, and wrestle with our God. We may refuse to give Him rest until responses come. It is not presumption to be urgent for immediate answers, and to pray that God would speedily cause His smile to dissipate our trouble.

3-5. "For my days are consumed like smoke, and my bones are burned as an hearth. My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread. By reason of the voice of my groaning my bones cleave to my skin."

Prayer should be more importunate when sorrows press with overwhelming weight. The effects of such distress are soon apparent. The strength of the frame quickly declines. It vanishes like the curling smoke, which rises to evaporate in air. The bones grow feeble, and crumble to decay as fuel on the burning hearth. Mourning withers all energy. The grass when cut soon becomes dry and sapless, in like manner the smitten heart loses all freshness. The appetite declines. There is no desire for food, no relish for the customary sustenance. Misery finds vent in moans and sighs, so that the flesh is wasted, and the form moves as a living skeleton.

6-7. "I am like a pelican of the wilderness; I am like an owl of the desert. I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the housetop."

Images from nature aid the portrait of this misery. The afflicted shuns all companionship. He retires as the lonely pelican, seeking the solitude of the wilderness, or, as the owl, hiding in the recesses of the desert. Alone he utters wails to heaven, as a solitary sparrow moping on the summits of the house.

8-11. "My enemies reproach me all the day; and those who are mad against me have sworn against me. For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping, because of Your indignation and Your wrath; for You have lifted me up, and cast me down. My days are like a shadow that declines; and I am withered like grass."

Misery is enhanced by the cruel mockery of the ungodly. No compassion melts their hearts. They rather rejoice to aggravate the sufferer's woe. No comfort is found in natural refreshment. Bread is rejected, as unpalatable ashes, and tears are mingled with the cup. Again we hear that the days are as a fleeting shadow, and as the withered grass. The cause of this misery is the withdrawal of God's presence. The mercies once so dear are hidden in displeasure.

12. "But You, O Lord, shall endure forever, and Your remembrance unto all generations."

But let the fear never intrude that there is variableness with God. He is unchangeable in all His attributes. There may be change in outward manifestations, but He ever lives, the eternal and immutable One. Let this thought be cherished constantly. Let it be as a companion ever walking by our side. Let our delighted gaze dwell on the eternal oneness of our God. His power and love endure forever. All generations shall give this testimony.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2006, 07:37:55 AM »

13-14. "You shall arise, and have mercy upon Zion for the time to favor her, yes, the set time, is come. For Your servants take pleasure in her stones, and favor the dust thereof."

Apparently the scene now changes. A sorrowing individual disappears. An afflicted people becomes prominent. It is a sound conclusion, that the Psalmist was thus inspired, when signs announced Israel's near deliverance from distress. Her children had long wept under oppression's heavy hand; but now the set time of sorrow reached its close, and the set time of deliverance dawned. It is a blessed truth, that God works all things after the counsel of His own will. When He decrees the rescue, the tyrant's hand can no more fetter. Ardent longings had arisen that the temple should again be built. God who has power to move all hearts now awakened this desire. We know, also, that Israel's sons shall be recalled from their long dispersion. When we see growing anxiety to hasten their return, we trust that this awakening is heaven-born, and indicates that the set time is drawing near.

15-16. "So the heathen shall fear the name of the Lord, and all the kings of the earth Your glory. When the Lord shall build up Zion, He shall appear in His glory."

The return of Israel, the rebuilding of Jerusalem, the rising again of God's temple were grand events; and attracted worldwide attention. It was seen that the Lord's power was put forth to accomplish restoration. Heathen nations acknowledged God's hand, and viewed with awe His majesty. So again when Israel's glory is revived, it shall be admiration through the world.

17-22. "He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer. This shall be written for the generation to come; and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord. For He has looked down from the height of His sanctuary; from heaven the Lord beheld the earth. To hear the groaning of the prisoner; to loose those who are appointed to death. To declare the name of the Lord in Zion, and His praise in Jerusalem. When the people are gathered together, and the kingdoms, to serve the Lord."

At the appointed time, redoubled cries for aid were heard. Mercy spread rapid wings. Again the time draws near when the groanings of the dispersed shall grow more deep. Heaven will open wide to help, and God's praises shall again resound throughout Jerusalem.

23-24. "He weakened my strength in the way; He shortened my days. I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days; Your years are throughout all generations."

This deliverance is wholly the Lord's work. Man's innate strength is as cradled infancy. The feeble pilgrim totters if not upheld. Appeal is made unto God. His never-failing power pervades all time. To trust in self is to lean on emptiness. To trust in the Lord is sure support. As He was in the beginning, so will He be forevermore.

25-28. "Of old You have laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the work of Your hands. They shall perish, but You shall endure; yes, all of them shall grow old like a garment; as a vesture You shall change them, and they shall be changed. But You are the same, and Your years shall have no end. The children of Your servants shall continue, and their seed shall be established before You."

Bright and glorious is this conclusion. The Spirit teaches that this splendid picture exhibits the blessed Jesus. In the beginning the heavens and the earth were His work. When the consummation is complete, the scaffold shall be taken down, and this framework shall be laid aside as a decayed vest. But to Him no age shall come. Throughout eternity His redeemed shall praise Him and magnify His glorious name. Let us now learn the happy art. Let us go forth in lowly contemplation of dissolving nature, and hasten the day when Jesus shall appear arrayed in never-ending glory, and admired in all those who believe.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the