Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:09:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Psalms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psalms  (Read 43431 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2006, 08:20:09 AM »

Psalm 112

An exhortation to praise is the herald of this Psalm. The blessedness of God's children is then set forth. May its bright colors reveal more of the happiness of those who by the faith of Jesus compose this family!

1. "Praise the Lord. Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments."

Let it be our hearts' constant effort to revel in thanksgivings. The matter can never be exhausted. It is the seed of a luxuriant crop. Let its measure be commensurate. Let us praise God that He is the Father of a blessed family. The main lineaments are the same in every child. Filial fear is the common feature. They love their Father, and they tremble lest they should offend. They love their Father, and therefore they delight greatly in obedience to His word.

2-3. "His seed shall be mighty upon earth; the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shall be in his house; and his righteousness endures forever."

The godly seed truly inherit the earth. It may be that gold and silver may not sparkle in their homes; but they are endowed with the treasures of peace and joy, compared with which earthly possessions are an empty show. The world may scorn them, but they are kings and priests unto God. Godliness is true greatness, which rust and moth destroy not, and spoilers cannot touch.

4-5. "Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. A good man shows favor, and lends; he will guide his affairs with discretion."

The heirs of heaven are not exempt from days of gloom. Shadows come over them, and bright rays fade. Such discipline is often needed. It restrains the erring steps. It draws to God's presence. It quickens faith and prayer. But transient are these seasons. Light soon breaks forth, and God's love brightly reappears. Every grace, also, is the inhabitant of the believer's heart. Especially he regards tenderly the need of others, and is ever ready, as his means enable, to extend aid. His heart, also, is the abode of the truest wisdom. They are the fools who neither seek nor serve the Lord. This wisdom is conspicuous in every transaction. He who serves God will not err in his daily matters.

6-8. "Surely he shall not be moved forever; the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance. He shall not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord. His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he sees his desire upon his enemies."

He stands immovable as a rock. His confidence is firmly settled on his God. He trembles not lest messengers should announce calamities. He knows that all events are ordered by his heavenly Father, and therefore that all things must work together for his good. He fears not lest his foes should gain advantage, and extinguish his remembrance upon earth.

9-10. "He has dispersed, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn shall be exalted with honor. The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away; the desire of the wicked shall perish."

While the righteous are thus blessed and exalted and glorified, there is a fearful counterpart. The ungodly see the issue. They writhe in anguish. Lord, give us our portion in the happy family of faith!

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2006, 08:21:48 AM »

Psalm 113

Praise continues to be the happy theme. Contemplation of God's majesty and greatness and goodness tend largely to kindle this flame. Let us meditate until warmth glows and praise blazes within!

1-2. "Praise the Lord. Praise, O you servants of the Lord, praise the name of the Lord. Blessed be the name of the Lord from this time forth and forevermore."

The servants of the Lord are addressed. They are called to their richest enjoyment. Those who serve the Lord prove how they love His service by ever telling the glories of His name. It is the constellation of His attributes, and each attribute presents a boundless ocean of delight. Praise, also, must be endless. Through endless being those who know and love Him will never cease to revel in this joy. Praise is as eternal as the love which kindles it.

3. "From the rising of the sun, to the going down of the same, the Lord's name is to be praised."

Is there a spot on earth which is not witness of God's goodness? Is there a region of the globe in which this homage should not abound? Is there a living being who is not a partaker of His tender mercies? Is there a mother's son who should not testify thanksgiving? From east to west, from pole to pole, the constant sound should be adoring praise.

4-6. "The Lord is high above all nations, and His glory above the heavens. Who is like the Lord our God, who dwells on high, who humbles Himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth!"

What is all the pride, and pomp, and pageantry of earth! All nations and all nations' greatness is a mere bauble when placed beside Him. What property is there which is not the gift of His sovereign hand? Behold His throne. It is high in the heaven of heavens. From it He looks down in condescension on angels and on men. The more we wonder that He thus should stoop, the more we should exalt Him with extolling lips.

7-9. "He raises up the poor out of the dust, and lifts the needy out of the ash-heap; that He may set him with princes, even with the princes of his people. He makes the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise the Lord."

God's gracious eye regards even the lowliest of men with providential care. Joseph rises from the dungeon to sit beside the King. David is exalted from the sheepfold to the throne of Israel. Sarah rejoices as the mother of him in whom the promised seed should come. Rachel and Hannah are filled with maternal joy. There is nothing too hard for our Lord to do. No gift is too good for His bounty to impart. "Praise the Lord" was the first note. "Praise the Lord" is now the last. "Praise the Lord" should be our utterance first, midst, and last in time and throughout eternity.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2006, 08:23:21 AM »

Psalm 114

The greatness and the glory of God are shown in His dealings with Israel. Let us joyfully remember that this God is our God forever and ever.

1-2. "When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language; Judah was His sanctuary, and Israel His dominion."

Grievous was Israel's slavery in the land of Egypt. They were oppressed by tyrants, aliens in blood and speech. Their history should remind us that when we were lost by sin God sent redemption through His beloved Son, and called us into the kingdom of liberty and grace. Israel thus delivered was raised to be a peculiar people. They were consecrated to the service of the Lord. They had His sanctuary and His laws, His temple and His ordinances. The priestly office solemnized its rites, and God was acknowledged as their King. So, also, we are no more our own. We are ransomed, that we may delight in His ordinances and serve Him as our rightful Lord.

3-4. "The sea saw it, and fled; Jordan was driven back. The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs."

When the set time of deliverance comes, no obstacles can check. The waters of the Red Sea seem to forbid escape from Egypt. The waters of Jordan seem to forbid entrance into Canaan. But at God's word they parted, and there was a dry passage for the hosts. Thus departure from perils was effected; thus entrance into the promised land was gained. Let faith take courage. The same power still works. The chosen seed shall depart in triumph from the captivity of Satan, and in triumph enter their eternal home. In Israel's march, also, astounding prodigies were shown. The strongest mountains trembled at God's presence and the gaping earth obeyed His mandates. Mighty powers are arrayed in opposition to God's people; but when the Lord speaks, trembling and quaking shake their might. "Who are you, O great mountain; before Zerubbabel, you shall become a plain."

5-8. "What ailed you, O sea, that you fled? Jordan, that you were driven back? mountains, that you skipped like rams; and little hills, like lambs? Tremble, earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob; who turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters."

These marvelous interpositions were the direct acts of God. No natural causes produced these prodigies. This truth is enforced by lively questions addressed to inanimate objects. The presence of the Lord effected all. We next are reminded that providential care supplied their needs in the wilderness; the flinty rock melted, and streams in abundance flowed. These emblems teach that God's people shall have every need relieved. "When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue fails for thirst, I the Lord will hear them; I the God of Jacob will not forsake them." O Lord, be it unto us according to Your gracious word! Supply all our need, according to Your riches in glory by Christ Jesus!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2006, 08:25:32 AM »

Psalm 115

Man's utter nothingness is here acknowledged. In God alone all power resides. The idols of the heathen are the vanity of vanities. Let all confidence be placed in God!

1. "Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Your name give glory, for Your mercy, and for Your truth's sake."

Piety shudders at the thought of the assumption of any power by man. We cannot sink too low. We cannot raise our God too high. There is no depth from which we may not look up to Him. Let the assurance be always ours that His mercy and His truth will certainly befriend.

2-3. "Why should the heathen say, Where is now their God? But our God is in the heavens; He has done whatever He has pleased."

Israel was often brought into heathen bondage. Insulting foes derided them as helpless, and tauntingly inquired, Where is their God? The reply was indisputable. God reigns on high. Heaven is His throne. His overruling hand moves everywhere. He works all things after the counsel of His own will.

4-8. "Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not; they have ears, but they hear not; noses have they, but they smell not; they have hands, but they handle not; feet have they, but they walk not; neither speak they through their throat. Those who make them are like them; so is everyone who trusts in them."

What can be more contemptible than the idols of the heathen world! These images may be cased in silver and in gold. They may shine dazzlingly in the sight of prostrate crowds. But emptiness is their only property. Blind, deaf, motionless, speechless, they are less than nothing. Their worshipers are scarcely better. Where are the minds of those who kneel before the workmanship of their own hands? But while we pity such degraded folly, let us never forget that creature-worship is nature's religion. The love of silver and gold is innate idolatry of heart.

9-11. "O Israel, trust in the Lord; He is their help and their shield. O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord; He is their help and their shield. You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord; He is their help and their shield."

From a view of worthless idols, the exhortation gains force to trust in the ever-living God, who has all power in heaven and in earth. Let all His people trust Him. Let all who fear Him trust Him. Especially let the ministers of His word be foremost in this holy confidence. The standard-bearers should precede the host. They have all cause to trust. He is ever ready and ever able to give help. His sure protection can never fail.

12-15. "The Lord has been mindful of us, He will bless us; He will bless the house of Israel; He will bless the house of Aaron; He will bless those who fear the Lord, both small and great. The Lord shall increase you more and more, you and your children. You are blessed of the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

The review of the past testifies of the ever-mindful hand of God. Each Ebenezer gives assurance that blessings will still incessantly descend. Though appearances may sometimes have an adverse look, yet from age to age generations of men shall rejoice under His gracious care. He has delivered us, and still delivers, and we trust that He will yet deliver us.

16-18. "The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord's; but the earth has He given to the children of men. The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence. But we will bless the Lord from this time forth and forevermore. Praise the Lord."

While we continue inhabitants of earth our lips may praise the Lord, and lift up adorations to the heavens. But our life here may be very brief. Our opportunities may quickly pass. Lips mute in the grave can no more be heard on earth. Let us bear in mind, also, that dead souls on earth cannot have spiritual usefulness. Let us then pray, Quicken us, good Lord, more and more. The tribute of praise shall then respond in louder and holier notes.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »

Psalm 116

The heart of the Psalmist overflows with gratitude for extraordinary mercies. They all demand devoted praise. May the effect on us be increase of heavenly-mindedness!

1-2. "I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live."

Senseless is he who ever disregards the answer to the voice of prayer. These answers sweetly constrain us to love the gracious Lord, whose ears are never closed. Moreover, we are thus encouraged to grow more diligent in supplicating cries. The more we pray, the more we gain. The more we gain, the more should we love and adore.

3-4. "The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell got hold upon me; I found trouble and sorrow. Then called I upon the name of the Lord; O Lord, I beseech you, deliver my soul."

Believers are often brought into the lowest depths of distress. Life seems as a flickering spark; but in all extremities prayer can seek aid and never seeks in vain.

5-6. "Gracious is the Lord and righteous; yes, our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He helped me."

The God to whom we thus draw near is full of grace. Tender compassion is ever warm within Him. Experience of this truth is the believer's firmest prop. In frequent need he has never found that help to fail.

7-9. "Return to your rest, O my soul; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. For You have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, and my feet from falling. I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living."

Troubles may tend to bring anxiety; but the knowledge of near deliverance keeps peace undisturbed. Under Christ's shadow the soul delights in sweet repose. "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You." Can he be tossed with fears and doubts who rests in Christ as his ark? Where is the fear of death? It has vanished. A gracious hand, also, wipes away all tears from the eye; the feet, also, no longer totter, but walk firmly in the way of life.

10-14. "I believed, therefore have I spoken. I was greatly afflicted. I said in my haste, All men are liars. What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord. I will pay my vows to the Lord now in the presence of all His people."

Faith is no silent grace. When it is lively in the heart the mouth will celebrate God's praise. Severity of affliction awakens its powers. It is not slow to confess that when it slumbered, hastiness and unseemly utterances found vent. In disregard of all assurances, pettishness prevailed; but the Psalmist in dark hours had thought that fulfillment would not come. But now he felt shame for such distrust. He remembers the holy rites; he vows that he will gladly drink the cup of blessing, and publicly redeem his promises of holy service.

15. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

Persecution may wildly rage against God's servants. Their lives may be regarded as mere chaff; but different is God's estimate! They are precious in His sight and the high value placed upon them will be evidenced by the signal retribution which will overtake the cruel murderers.

16-19. "O Lord, truly I am Your servant; I am Your servant, and the son of Your handmaid; You have loosed my bonds. I will offer to You the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord. I will pay my vows to the Lord now in the presence of all His people, in the courts of the Lord's house, in the midst of you, O Jerusalem. Praise the Lord."

Happy is the profession, O Lord, truly I am Your servant! Consecration to God's service is perfect freedom. It is the very happiness of happiness, and raises to angelic life. But to abound in this occupation, Satan's chains must be broken. This only can be effected by the might of Jesus. We are born slaves. He only can set us free. This devotion, also, is a theme of praise and of holy vows. Let us surrender ourselves to this one work. We shall find that we obey a blessed Master, who will pay wages now of abundant happiness and of eternal life hereafter.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2006, 11:20:24 AM »

Psalm 117

This Psalm is brief, but who can estimate its unbounded preciousness? It was given by inspiration of God. May the Spirit use it to invigorate our grace!

1. "O praise the Lord, all you nations; praise Him, all you people."

Warm desire should swell in every heart that due praise to God should be as the surrounding atmosphere. Throughout the world no creature lives who is not daily laden with blessings from the Creator's hand. Sad it is that the blinded eye sees not the gracious Giver, and the silent lips give no acknowledgment. This thought should quicken missionary zeal. Warm should be our efforts to send the messengers of truth throughout the length and breadth of earth. The constant desire should be to tell of God's love in Jesus, and to invite to the cross. Hearty praise will then sound loudly from ransomed souls.

2. "For His merciful kindness is great toward us and the truth of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord."

The merciful kindness of the Lord is a boundless theme. We see it inscribed on all the works of creation. We see it shining in the glories of redemption. What could have been done more for His people that the Lord has not done for us? The great God, even Jesus, is our full salvation. There is pardon in His precious blood for every sin. There is a covering robe in His righteousness for every transgression. There is sanctification and renewal in His Spirit for our cold hearts. The cup of grace, of mercy, and of love truly overflows. It could scarcely hold another drop. The promises of the covenant are all yes and amen in Christ. Could God give more? Let, then, our grateful cry ever swell, Praise the Lord.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

Psalm 118

A song of praise is here added to our stores. Motives to this exercise claim attention. In many portions Christ is distinctly seen. May He thus become dearer to our hearts!

1-4. "O give thanks to the Lord; for He is good; because His mercy endures forever. Let Israel now say, that His mercy endures forever. Let the house of Aaron now say, that His mercy endures forever. Let those now who fear the Lord say, that His mercy endures forever."

Our sluggish hearts cannot be too thankful for exhortations to sing of mercy. All classes, all ranks should be incessantly earnest in this duty. Let God's ministering servants lead the hymn. Let all the company of believers respond, "His mercy endures forever."

5-7. "I called upon the Lord in distress; the Lord answered me, and set me in a large place. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear; what can man do to me? The Lord takes my part with those who help me; therefore shall I see my desire upon those who hate me."

Faith hears Christ in these professions. He speaks not in His own person only, but as representing all His people. Let us, then, cast away all fear. God in Him and He in us is triumph over every foe.

8-12. "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man; it is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes. All nations compassed me about; but in the name of the Lord will I destroy them. They surrounded me; yes, they compassed me about; but in the name of the Lord I will destroy them. They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns; for in the name of the Lord I will destroy them."

To trust in the Lord is help and victory. To trust in man is to walk on a quicksand. May the Lord raise us above such folly! Our great Head here testifies for Himself and for His followers, that though His enemies might be countless in number and terrible in sting, they must vanish before the presence of the Lord.

13-16. "You have thrust sore at me, that I might fall; but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and song, and has become my salvation. The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous; the right hand of the Lord does valiantly. The right hand of the Lord is exalted; the right hand of the Lord does valiantly."

We should be grateful for these precious assurances. Mighty, indeed, is our main adversary, but he is as nothing before the Lord. In our God we have all strength and all salvation. His right hand will fight mightily and triumphantly in our behalf. Thus the voice of thanksgiving shall be heard in our homes.

17-21. "I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord. The Lord has chastened me sore; but He has not given me over to death. Open to me the gates of righteousness; I will go into them, and I will praise the Lord; this gate of the Lord, into which the righteous shall enter. I will praise You; for You have heard me, and have become my salvation."

We are again warned that, though our feet stand on the rock of salvation, we are not beyond the reach of trials. But let nothing shake our confidence. The praises of the Lord shall yet be our song.

22-24. "The stone which the builders refused has become the head stone of the corner. This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

Christ is again manifest. He has been, and He still is, the despised and rejected of men. But He is the foundation on which His Church rests, and the ornament of the beautiful fabric. It was a glorious day when, rising from the dead, He was displayed as the Son of God. It is indeed to each believer a glorious day when He shines in their hearts as all their salvation.

25-29. "Save now, I beseech You, O Lord; O Lord, I beseech You, send now prosperity. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; we have blessed you out of the house of the Lord. God is the Lord, who has shown us light; bind the sacrifice with cords, even to the horns of the altar. You are my God, and I will praise You; You are my God, I will exalt You. O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good; for His mercy endures forever."

Shall we not bless Him who comes in the name of the Lord? Shall we not bring our hearts and souls as a willing sacrifice to Him? While we live let us bless and serve Him. This will be our glad occupation throughout eternity. Let the song now begin which never can conclude, "His mercy endures forever."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2006, 11:25:48 AM »

Psalm 119

1. "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord."

Here is a glowing picture of the pious heart. Here is the inner life of those who sit on the high eminence of blessedness, and rank among the blessed of the Lord. The question cannot be repressed, Who are they to whom such dignity belongs? The clear reply here meets us, They are the undefiled in the way; they walk in the law of the Lord. It is a solemn truth, that the path of life is through a miry road. Our steps are in pollution's land. How, then, can our feet be undefiled! How can our garments be unsoiled! We cannot guide ourselves. Unaided, we stumble into sloughs of defilement. But all help is near. Jesus is at hand to keep us by His mighty power. Let us lean on His supporting arm at every step, and when we fall let us rise and wash our robes in His all-cleansing blood. So may we ever be among the undefiled in the way; and let the law of the Lord, lovely in purity, glorious in holiness, perfect in love, be the path in which our feet advance. Jesus is our model and our all. God's law was in His heart; He was its living portrait.

2. "Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, and who seek Him with the whole heart."

Again, we learn that holiness is blessedness. Let our constant prayer grow stronger, Lord, what will You have us to do? The reply is, Study the testimonies. They speak from heaven, loud as the thunder, clear as the light, sweet as the celestial songs. Let us thus seek His will, with our whole hearts united in the one pursuit.

3. "They also do no iniquity; they walk in His ways."

The blessed cannot consent to evil. They flee the downward path. They shun it with extreme abhorrence. Their hearts entirely love the heavenward way. They cling to it with undeviating tread. Their onward progress is always upward. Thus they advance in happiness towards heaven.

4. "You have commanded us to keep Your precepts diligently."

He who desires our good at all times issues with authority His sovereign commands. They enjoin us to adhere with diligence to the tract which His Word marks out. In strict obedience is real and unfailing happiness. To obey is heaven begun.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2006, 11:28:12 AM »

5. "Oh that my ways were directed to keep Your statutes!"

But when the heart is willing the flesh is weak. Proneness to err still threatens to mislead. Hence incessant desires besiege Heaven that directing grace may ever guide aright.

6. "Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect to all Your commandments."

Shame and confusion are the wages of those who disregard God's will. If our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts and knows all things. If our hearts condemn us not, we shall lift up our heads in joy.

7. "I will praise You with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned Your righteous judgments."

The blessed man is ever a pupil in God's school. He desires to learn the ways of righteousness. Thus upright praises will ever flow from his lips.

8. "I will keep Your statutes; O forsake me not utterly."

Firm are his resolves, but he well knows that utter weakness may consist with strong desires. Experience has taught that when we would do good evil is present. He knows that real strength is heaven-born; therefore earnest cries implore that God at all times would uphold graciously. He hates putting away.

9. "How shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word."

Peculiar temptations plot against the young. Passions are strong; experience is weak. Satan assails with unremitted are. But still there is escape. Abundant records speak of holy youths. They have pursued one course. God's Word has been their compass. By this guidance they have diligently steered through all the waves of peril.

10. "With my whole heart have I sought You; O let me not wander from Your commandments."

Sincerity is here avowed. Blessed are those who can thus truly appeal to God. May our conscience ever bear witness that no portion of the heart has been given to ungodly ways! But still God's help is asked, that the way may be so hedged up that no outlet to forbidden paths may be found. We may run well and yet may stumble.

11. "Your word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against You."

It is a precious truth that God's Word is a sure antidote to sin. If this is treasured in the heart, if it stands as a guard before the portals, evil cannot enter. May we ever be thus garrisoned!

12. "Blessed are You, O Lord; teach me Your statutes."

The blessed man will ever bless and ever pray. His constant cry will be, Send out Your light and Your truth, that they may lead me.

13. "With my lips have I declared all the judgments of Your mouth."

He will learn that he may teach. His heart, filled with the Word, will overflow and fertilize all who are within his reach.

14. "I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches."

The Word is a bright sunbeam in the soul. Riches do not so much exhilarate the worldling as the revelation of God's ways delight and gladden the blessed man.

15. "I will meditate in Your precepts, and have respect to Your ways."

Holy meditation exalts above the world. The precepts are a perpetual feast.

16. "I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word."

Do we seek happiness? It is to be found in constantly pondering the Word and will of God. It is a blessed resolve; Your Word shall not depart out of the precincts of my memory.

17. "Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live and keep Your word." We may humbly ask continuance of earthly life, if our desire is that as mirrors we may reflect the Word. Oh that we might live as a transcript of the heavenly will, and thus be followers of God as dear children!

18. "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Your law."

Lovely light may beam upon us, and wondrous scenes surround; but the gain is none if sightless eyes survey. By nature we are thus blind; unless God grants sight, we cannot behold the wonders which His law contains. Let us weary heaven with cries for enlightening grace. When the command goes forth, Let there be light, there will be light.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

19. "I am a stranger in the earth; hide not Your commandments from me."

Here we are pilgrims in a foreign land. As such we need guidance. God's Word will show the right path and keep us in it. Let us pray that this word may brightly illumine our way. If we walk in darkness, it is because we do not see the light.

20. "My soul breaks for the longing that it has for Your judgments at all times."

Weak and wavering desires should be utterly eschewed. The true child of God so longs for the precious Word, that his soul seems scarcely able to contain the swelling feeling. Unless the presence of God's Word relieves, he can scarcely live.

21. "You have rebuked the proud who are cursed, who err from Your commandments."

We have heard who are the blessed. We have now the portrait of the cursed. They proudly wander from the everlasting way. Their straying feet rush to destruction. God's rebuke descends, and the rebuke is ruin.

22. "Remove from me reproach and contempt; for I have kept Your testimonies."

The pious are generally regarded with scorn in this fallen world. It is a grievous trial. When we are conscious that contempt is incurred by adhering to God's Word, we may humbly pray for its removal.

23. "Princes also sat and spoke against me; but Your servant meditated on Your statutes."

Men of exalted rank too often slander the servants of the Lord. But a sweet refuge is always near in meditation on the glorious law. They will not hear nor heed whose souls are thus engaged.

24. "Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors."

Such meditation is most precious. It is a boundless expanse of happiness. It is a treasury of counsels to guide throughout life's course. May we be thus happy and thus wise!

25. "My soul cleaves to the dust; quicken me according to Your word."

The soul by nature rises not to heaven; unaided from on high it grovels in the mire of earth. Hence the wisdom of constant prayer, that spiritual life may expand wings for upward flight. Many promises give prospect of success.

26. "I have declared my ways, and You heard me; teach me Your statutes."

Having deep experience of the success of prayer, let us keep nothing back from God. He will hear, and heavenly lessons will be granted.

27. "Make me to understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I talk of Your wondrous works."

Our desire for intelligence in God's precepts cannot be too earnest. When thus enlightened we shall not be mute. Delighted converse will tell the dealings of Him whose name is Wonderful.

28. "My soul melts for heaviness; strengthen me according to Your word."

Periods recur when the soul is heavy laden. When thus powerless, strength should be implored in accordance with the sure promises of God.

29. "Remove from me the way of lying; and grant me Your law graciously."

Grievous evidence of the fall is seen in the tendency to misrepresent and to deceive. The devil was a liar from the beginning; and his progeny inherits his propensities. Let us strive to be the followers of Him who is emphatically the truth. For this purpose let us pray that God would write His law of uprightness on our hearts.

30. "I have chosen the way of truth; Your judgments have I laid before me."

False ways will indeed be eschewed by the blessed man. The way of truth will be his deliberate choice. God's judgments will be the desired path. Let us not, however, forget that in ourselves we are weak to execute these good resolves.

31. "I have stuck to Your testimonies; O Lord, put me not to shame."

With clinging hands the testimonies will be grasped. The disgrace of straying will be dreaded. Prayer will be made for deliverance from such shame.

32. "I will run the way of Your commandments, when You shall enlarge my heart."

The narrowness of the contracted heart forbids expanse. Encumbered affections cannot mount; therefore earnest prayer is made that the entangling chains may be removed, and freedom granted to run nimbly up the blessed road.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2006, 11:39:30 AM »

33. "Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end."

The believer, conscious of ignorance, ever seeks divine instruction. He knows that the page of Scripture is obscure unless heavenly light shines on it. Therefore constant is his prayer, and constant his resolve to persevere unto the end.

34. "Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; yes, I shall observe it with my whole heart."

Repeated prayer wrestles for an understanding heart. Resolution is declared that the law shall be cherished with undivided affection.

35. "Make me to go in the path of Your commandments; for therein do I delight."

Prayer again wrestles for strict adherence to the holy path. It is the way of pleasantness; every step abounds in delights.

36. "Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to covetousness."

Without a restraining hand the heart is prone to turn aside into the byways of petty love of self. The remedy must be from above. Heavenly aid is therefore sought.

37. "Turn away my eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken me in Your way."

The world abounds with sights of emptiness, frivolity, and folly. Eyes are enticed to gaze; there is danger in the very sight. Let prayer be made that the eyes may not behold, and that quickened steps may ascend Zion's hill.

38. "Establish Your word to Your servant, who is devoted to Your fear."

It is happiness to have the Word firmly rooted in the heart. This blessed state will be the desire of those who are jealously apprehensive of straying from the gospel-rule.

39. "Turn away my reproach which I fear; for Your judgments are good."

It is a reproach to wander. The godly man will dread this shame. He knows how excellent the ways of God are, and he prays that he may never incur the dishonor of disobedience.

40. "Behold, I have longed for Your precepts; quicken me in Your righteousness."

Deep desire for entire sanctification is here expressed; prayer is made that the Spirit of the Lord would animate the pursuit of righteousness. May we thus ever strive! We shall succeed, and great will be our gain.

41. "Let Your mercies come also to me, O Lord, even Your salvation, according to Your word."

This prayer is a cup filled to the brim. A multitude of tender mercies stand always ready to issue from the courts above. These mercies assure of salvation from the penalties and power of sin, and of welcome to the joys of heaven. These mercies are our promised heritage. How should we wrestle until they fill us to overflowing!

42. "So shall I have an answer for him who reproaches me; for I trust in Your word."

When the heart realizes assured salvation, it is supplied with abundant answers to those who sneer at the delights of faith.

43. "And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in Your judgments."

Assurance only lives while God maintains it. Fears will intrude lest the truth should languish on our lips. Hope sees the declarations of the Lord, and looks upward.

44. "So shall I keep Your law continually, forever and ever."

There is rich comfort in the confidence that divine grace will enable us to persevere. The end is seen. Bright is the deliverance.

45. "And I will walk at liberty; for I seek Your precepts."

All restraining shackles shall be cast off. The believer will freely walk in diligent pursuit of truth.

46. "I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed."

No array of earthly power will intimidate the man of God. Strong in the Lord, he will boldly wave the standard of salvation.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2006, 11:41:31 AM »

47. "And I will delight myself in Your commandments, which I have loved."

Who can fail to see the believer's happy state? The paths of holiness are pleasantness and peace. The law reigns in the heart, and love delights in sanctified obedience.

48. "My hands also will I lift up to Your commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in Your statutes."

He will give open testimony of his entire surrender to the ways of the Lord, and his mind will revel in holy meditation. Here the soul finds repose. This is the ecstasy of life.

49. "Remember the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope."

The Spirit in tender love sometimes applies a word of Scripture with especial power to the heart. Hope grasps it, feasts upon it, and sweetly reposes. We may in faith bring such texts unto the mercy-seat, and crave their fulfillment. "Do as You have said."

50. "This is my comfort in my affliction; for Your word has quickened me."

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; many, also, are their consolations. Especially sweet are the comforts flowing from the Word. Life thus quickened will be sustained.

51. "The proud have had me greatly in derision; yet have I not declined from Your law."

Haughty men may scorn and deride. Ridicule shakes not the confidence which the Word has inspired. Can man pull down what God has built up?

52. "I remembered Your judgments of old, O Lord; and have comforted myself."

It is a profitable lesson to ponder God's righteous dealings. The history of the Church is a precious volume. It shows the overthrow of the wicked and constant security of the righteous. Deep streams of comfort flow in these channels.

53. "Horror has taken hold upon me because of the wicked who forsake Your law."

How frightful is the sight of the ungodly trampling on God's precious Word! Who can contemplate the issue without fearful trembling!

54. "Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage."

Zion's pilgrims are not always downcast. They realize absence from home; but in the cheering prospect of return they know joy and gladness, thanksgiving and the voice of melody.

55. "I have remembered Your name, O Lord, in the night, and have kept Your law."

If in the night sleepless hours are appointed, let memory be alert to ponder the wonders involved in the Lord's name. The resolve will thus be quickened to cling tightly to His law.

56. "This I had, because I kept Your precepts."

This rich gain springs from keeping His commandments. May they ever be the treasure of our hearts, the path of our steps, and our exceeding comfort!

57. "You are my portion, O Lord; I have said that I would keep Your words."

Rich, indeed, is the believer. He has the Lord for his portion. He can say, All things are mine, for I am Christ's, and Christ is God's. The kingdom into which he is translated has statutes. He loves them, and delights to cleave most closely to them.

58. "I entreated Your favor with my whole heart; be merciful to me according to Your word."

With earnest sincerity the heart seeks that heavenly favor may never cease to bless. Mercy is abundantly promised, and mercy may be sought with undoubting confidence that it will smile abundantly.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2006, 11:43:54 AM »

59. "I thought on my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies."

No inconsiderate step should ever be allowed; a rash movement may plunge into inextricable straits. The feet should be diligently turned to the narrow way of life. Vigilance should never be relaxed.

60. "I made haste, and delayed not to keep Your commandments."

Loitering in the Christian course is perilous. Onward, onward should be the constant cry. Lot's wife paused, and then looked back, and perished. Let us lay aside every weight and run unweariedly in the way which love and wisdom have enjoined.

61. "The bands of the wicked have robbed me; but I have not forgotten Your law."

The godly may be called to bear the spoiling of their temporal goods. But they have riches which no robber's hands can touch. The Word is a treasure in which they daily meditate, with no fear of loss.

62. "At midnight I will rise to give thanks to You because of Your righteous judgments."

When sleep fast locked the eyes of others, the Psalmist leaves his bed. He is intent to utter praises. God's righteous judgments call for joyful notice. Thanksgiving is repose of the heart.

63. "I am a companion of all those who fear You, and of those who keep Your precepts."

The sincerity of grace is evidenced by the choice of associates. Two cannot walk together except they be agreed. Light has no fellowship with darkness. The feet cannot at the same time be set in the narrow and in the broad way. Those who fear God delight in pious fellowship.

64. "The earth, O Lord, is full of Your mercy; teach me Your statutes."

The whole creation has a voice loudly proclaiming that good and gracious is the Lord. Every object reflects tender care. Let us seek enlarged knowledge of His works, so will His ways be our delight. Increased illumination will gladden the meditating heart. Advance in knowledge will be advance in joy.

65. "You have dealt well with Your servant, O Lord, according unto Your word."

Where is the believer who can restrain this rapturous acknowledgment! Touched by divine grace he feels that God's goodness baffles all thought. He knows that our God has given largely like a God. All the provisions of the Covenant are bountifully poured into his lap.

66. "Teach me good judgment and knowledge; for I have believed Your commandments."

The soul is athirst for brighter rays of light and knowledge. Faith is confessed to be the happy inhabitant of the heart; and the constant cry is, Give large increase. Faith has sweet skill in pleading.

67. "Before I was afflicted I went astray; but now I have kept Your word."

Afflictions are often charged to do good work. Their commission is mercy. A thin disguise conceals a friendly form. They check the wanderers and bring them back. In the time of suffering they may be bitter, but in retrospect they are sweet. They lead to holiness, and holiness is joy.

68. "You are good, and do good; teach me Your statutes."

The believer delights in contemplation of his God. Every view discovers goodness. This is inscribed on all His dealings. Hence the longing desire for more acquaintance with His statutes. To know His law is to know Himself.

69. "The proud have forged a lie against me; but I will keep Your precepts with my whole heart."

Lying witnesses were obtained to bring false charges against Jesus. If the Head was thus slandered, shall the members escape? But these arch devices are all vain. They lead to closer adherence to God's Word.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2006, 11:47:51 AM »

70. "Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in Your law."

Their heart swells with pride, and becomes impervious to tender impression. Prosperity often exerts benumbing influence. No sense of sin—no self-abhorrence is its fruit. But there is a lovely contrast. In the believer the contrite heart loathes self-satisfaction, and finds no joy but in clinging to the law of God.

71. "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Your statutes."

Corrupt nature needs the frequent scourge. The present smart may be severe, but the resulting benefit is more than compensation for the pain. Satisfaction makes rich amends for the sorrows which preceded it. Let not our frowns then meet affliction.

72. "The law of Your mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver."

True is the testimony that the Word of the Lord is more to be desired than gold, yes, than much fine gold. This treasure is in our hands. May the Spirit write its contents on our hearts! God's law inscribed there is everlasting wealth.

73. "Your hands have made me, and fashioned me; give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments."

Appeal is made to God as our Creator. Every faculty of mind and body is the offspring of His sovereign will. Therefore He who gives our every power is implored to increase spiritual intelligence. In His school blessed lessons are learned.

74. "Those who do not fear will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in Your word."

Our course should be so free from ambiguity that it may be evident on what foundation our hopes are built. When those who fear the Lord distinctly see that all our expectations are from Him, they will rejoice in our godly communion.

75. "I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are right, and that You in faithfulness have afflicted me."

When afflictions oppress us it is well to remember the smiting hand. Correction is ordered in the Covenant for us. God in these trials acts in accordance with most holy righteousness.

76. "Let, I pray You, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to Your servant."

We often need strong consolation. A rich store is laid up for us in our God. To Him let us draw near and pray that all His promises to us in Christ Jesus may be our rich enjoyment.

77. "Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live; for Your law is my delight."

Tender mercy can prolong our days; but continued life should only be desired in submission to God's will, and for the furtherance of His glory. Such will be our desire when our delight is to follow His law as our one rule.

78. "Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause; but I will meditate on Your precepts."

Confusion will overwhelm the perverse adversaries. Their persecution is without cause. Harmless will be all their rage when the mind retires into the secret places of holy meditation.

79. "Let those who do not fear turn to me, and those who have known Your testimonies."

The man of God delights only in the fellowship of those who are fellow-servants of His God. They are described as fearing God and intelligently keeping His testimonies. Prayer is made that such may cheer him by their company.

80. "Let my heart be sound in Your statutes, that I may not be ashamed."

Let us ever be watchful over the treachery of our hearts. They are prone to nurture unwholesome desires. But deviation from God's law brings shame. Let us shun it as sure misery. Holiness may boldly raise the head.

81. "My soul faints for Your salvation; but I hope in Your word."

Intense was the Psalmist's desire to realize an interest in God's salvation. Through anxiety he fails in strength, as a deer panting for the waterbrooks. But in weakness hope cheered him. Let us strive for an increase of this precious grace. It will gladden and sustain us.

82. "My eyes fail for Your word, saying, When will You comfort me?"

If comforts seem to tarry long, the eye strained by constant looking becomes weak. Earnest cries wrestle with God for His restoring presence. The sigh is heard, How long shall trouble last? When will Your comforts again revive me?

83. "I am shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke, exhausted with waiting. But I cling to your principles and obey them"

Under the grievous pressure of this trial, the bodily appearance manifests distress. The shriveled skin loses all sign of moisture. It is dried like a leather vessel in the smoke. But grace still lives and feasts on the banquet of God's word.

84. "How many are the days of Your servant? when will You execute judgment on those who persecute me?"

It is sad when impatient peevishness frets. May the gracious Lord preserve us from such weakness. Under its influence cessation of life is desired; vengeance calls for wrath on the head of persecutors. This is our infirmity. May the Lord pardon it and tear it from our hearts.

85. "The proud have dug pits for me, which are not after Your law."

Haughty persecutors may plot evil against the Lord's followers. Such conduct is enmity to His law. Assuredly it will end in misery.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »

86. "All Your commandments are faithful; they persecute me wrongfully; help me."

In such trial it is sweet relief to remember that God is true. According to the faithful Word, help will be given, and the persecutors perish in their wickedness.

87. "They had almost consumed me upon earth; but I forsook not Your precepts."

At times their cruel plans seem to border on success. Let not the righteous be dismayed. Let the Word be remembered which can never fail.

88. "Quicken me after Your lovingkindness; so shall I keep the testimony of Your mouth."

Let prayer be made that God, in the multitude of His lovingkindness, would infuse new life into our drooping hearts. Then upright walking in the Lord's ways will not flag.

89. "Forever, O Lord, Your word is settled in heaven."

Before the foundations of the world, the purposes of God were firmly settled. As He is stable and immutable, so they cannot change. Therefore floods of peace and trust pervade the believer's heart. Every event flies on the winds of eternal decree.

90. "Your faithfulness is to all generations; You have established the earth, and it abides."

From age to age God's faithfulness shines in unfading brightness. The earth abides in accordance with original design. There is no interruption in its progress. It pursues the course of immutability.

91. "They continue this day according to your ordinances; for all are Your servants."

The course of nature undergoes no departure from primeval will. All things act out the great Creator's plan. His word commands perpetual obedience.

92. "Unless Your law had been my delights, I should then have perished in my affliction."

Afflictions often threaten to overwhelm. Billows upon billows go over the sinking head. But the immutable Word is grasped, and it is found to be a never-failing plank.

93. "I will never forget Your precepts; for with them You have quickened me."

It is our highest wisdom tightly to grasp the Word. Let us set its precepts continually before our eyes. They are life-giving and life-sustaining. Let us enshrine them in our memories.

94. "I am Yours, save me; for I have sought Your precepts."

It is a happy moment when the believer can appeal to God, I am Yours. You have called me, and I have obeyed. You have quickened me, and I live to You. All my desire is to know and obey Your will. Therefore I cry to You for aid; save me, for I am Your servant.

95. "The wicked have waited for me to destroy me but I will consider Your testimonies."

I have indeed many foes. Plots are laid for my destruction. But I will not fear. The assurances of Your Word sustain me.

96. "I have seen an end of all perfection; but Your commandment is exceeding broad."

Many objects are full of wonder. They excite admiration. But their beauty is not durable; it quickly fades away. But the glory of God's law suffers no eclipse. The more we ponder, the more cause shall we find for trust and praise.

97. "O how I love Your law! it is my meditation all the day."

Mark the profession of the blessed man. Every affection goes forth in admiration of the law. It is his constant delight. At every moment of the day his heart lovingly feasts on it.

98. "You, through Your commandments, have made me wiser than my enemies; for they are ever with me."

Where can true wisdom be found but in the counsels of the all-wise and only-wise God! His name and His word are emphatic wisdom. They are the perfection of intelligence. They ever fill the believer's heart. Thus his foes appear as fools before him.

99. "I have more understanding than all my teachers for Your testimonies are my meditation."

The world professes to have schools of sage instruction; but the poorest believer, enlightened by the Spirit, is wiser than this boasted wisdom. God's testimonies are his meditation. Here he derives celestial understanding.

cont

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the