Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 359563 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

What it is to follow the Lamb?

(William Dyer, "Follow the Lamb")

"These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes!" Revelation 14:4

What it is to follow the Lamb?

To follow the Lamb wherever He goes--is to follow Him in four things:

1st, We follow the Lamb in His COMMANDMENTS. "If you love Me--you will keep My commandments!" John 14:15. "You are My friends--if you do what I command you." John 15:14. Oh, beloved, we cannot follow the Lamb wherever He goes, unless we follow Him in His commandments! True Christians take as much delight in those precepts that enjoin holiness--as in those promises that assure happiness.

2ndly, We follow the Lamb in His TEACHING. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me! But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." John 10:5, 27

3rdly, We follow the Lamb in His PROVIDENCE. Through all afflictions, all straits, all discouragements and sorrows whatever, though it is the way of death! We must forsake all to follow a crucified Christ, a condemned Christ, in bloody paths of sufferings--if He calls us to it! "For," says Paul, "I am ready not to be bound only--but also to die at Jerusalem, for the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!" We must be willing to venture the loss of all for Him: our liberty, our estates, our relations, and our life itself! "We have forsaken all--and followed You!" Matthew 19:27

4thly, We follow the Lamb in His EXAMPLE. "I have given you an example that you also should do just as I have done for you." John 13:15. "Christ has suffered for us, leaving us an example that we should follow in His steps." 1 Peter 2:21. To follow in Christ's steps--is to take Him for our example. We must not follow wicked men's example, who walk in the broad way that leads to death, for "They are the children of their father the Devil, and they love to do the evil things he does!" John 8:44. But we must follow our head Christ, who went about doing good, Acts 10:38.

Now this is to follow the Lamb, wherever He goes:
  in His commands,
  in His teaching,
  in His providences,
  in His examples.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »

Sin is bad!

(Thomas Brooks)

Sin is bad in the eye,
worse in the tongue,
worse still in the heart,
but worst of all in the life!

Sin and punishment are linked together with chains of adamant!

The first step to mercy--is to see our own misery.
The first step toward Heaven--is to see ourselves near Hell.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 24, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »

He chooses and saves one of His crucifiers!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Secret Place" 1907)

"Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.' And they divided up His clothes by casting lots." Luke 23:34

"And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard His cry and saw how He died, he said: Surely this man was the Son of God!" Mark 15:39

He Who hung in sheer and marvelous mercy on the Cross craves a trophy of grace, and will not be satisfied until He has it. Out of the ranks of cruel paganism, He chooses and saves one of His crucifiers!

The Savior had been praying, and it is evident now that His prayer was not in vain: "Father, forgive them!" He had entreated God for the very Roman centurion who had nailed Him to His tree of shame, and then had sat down and barbarously gambled for His clothes. Yet he is . . .
  fully and instantly forgiven,
  led bound in blessed thraldom by Him Whose arms he had fettered,
  transformed into the confessor of the Man he crucifies!

Let me rejoice that nothing is too hard for the prayers of Jesus. He asks God for . . .
  my salvation and pardon,
  the conquest of my unthinking and earth-chained mind,
  the renewal of my selfish, proud and disobedient life.
In the heavenly place He lifts His holy and pierced hands on my behalf. And the Father gives Him His heart's desire, and does not withhold the request of His lips.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: October 25, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

(Choice Puritan quotes from John Flavel, 1627-1691)

Herein the sovereign grace of God appears--that Jesus Christ passed by millions of creatures of more excellent gifts and temperaments, and never makes them one offer of salvation--never turns aside to give one knock at the door of their hearts. But He comes to you, the vilest and basest of creatures, and will not be gone from your heart's door without His errand's end!

~  ~  ~  ~

It is true, some wicked men die in apparent peace, and some godly men die in turmoil--but both are mistaken. A few moments will clear up the mistake of both!

~  ~  ~  ~

The life of a believer in this world is a life of labor and expectation. He must expect no rest or satisfaction on this side of Heaven, and the full enjoyment of God. As the rivers cannot rest until they pour themselves into the bosom of the sea--so neither can renewed souls find rest until they come into the bosom of God!

~  ~  ~  ~

O when you go to God in any duty, take your heart aside, and say, "O my soul, I am now addressing myself to the greatest work that ever a creature was employed about--I am going into the solemn presence of God about business of everlasting importance!"

~  ~  ~  ~

We should call our hearts to account every evening, and say, "O my heart! Where have you been today? Where have your thoughts been wandering? O naughty heart! O vain heart! Could you not abide by the fountain of delights? Is there better pleasure with the creature, than with your redeemer God?"

~  ~  ~  ~

Repentance will cost you more than a few cheap words against sin!

~  ~  ~  ~

The candle of your life is almost burnt down--the hour-glass of time almost run out. Yet a few, a very few days and nights more--and then time, nights and days shall be no more!

~  ~  ~  ~

The whole world is not a theater large enough to display the glory of Christ upon--or unfold the one half of the unsearchable riches which lie hidden in Him! What shall I say of Christ? His excelling glory dazzles apprehension, and swallows up all expression!

~  ~  ~  ~

God's divine care thus engaged for you, is your convoy to accompany and secure you, until it sees you safe into your harbor of eternal rest!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 25, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »

(Choice quotes from the Puritan Thomas Adams, 1583-1652)

Pride thrust . . .
  Adam out of paradise,
  Saul out of his kingdom,
  Nebuchadnezzar out of men's society,
  Haman out of court, and
  Lucifer out of Heaven!

~  ~  ~  ~

Satan, like a skillful fisherman, baits his hook according to the appetite of the fish!

~  ~  ~  ~

Half our virtue arises from our being out of the way of temptation!

~  ~  ~  ~

No man more truly loves God, than he who is most fearful to offend Him.

~  ~  ~  ~

Good deeds are such things that no man is saved for them, nor without them.

~  ~  ~  ~

Death is as near to the young as to the old. Here is all the difference:
death stands behind the young man's back, but before the old man's face.

How certain you are to die, you know;
how soon to die, you know not.

You can name no living man, not the sickest, which you are sure shall die before you.

We spend our years with sighing--it is a valley of tears.
Death is the funeral of all our sorrows!

~  ~  ~  ~

Conscience is God's deputy in the soul.

~  ~  ~  ~

Christ is the sum of the whole Bible, prophesied, typified, prefigured, exhibited, demonstrated, to be found in every leaf, almost in every line--the Scriptures being but as it were, the swaddling bands of the child Jesus.

~  ~  ~  ~

Self-righteousness is the devil's masterpiece to make us think well of ourselves.

~  ~  ~  ~

He who demands mercy and shows none, burns the bridges over which he himself must later pass!

~  ~  ~  ~

Jesus . . .
  hides our unrighteousness with His righteousness,
  covers our disobedience with His obedience,
  shadows our death with His death--
that the wrath of God cannot find us!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 27, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »

If the world loves us, smiles on us, and speaks well of us!

(James Smith, "The Pleading Savior" 1861)

The concern of Jesus for the safety and happiness of His people, is both great and astonishing! He had watched over His disciples while He was with them, and being about to leave them--He would make them the special care and charge of His Father, and thus He prays, "I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, KEEP through Your own name, those whom You have given Me!" John 17:11

Notice the circumstances in which we are placed: "They are still in the world." They are chosen out of it, are raised above it--and yet are left in it, for holy and important purposes.

The world to the believer, is a place of trial. Every principle he has, as well as the profession he makes, will be tried here.
Storms will arise, and often suddenly and unexpectedly.
Labors have to be performed, and self-denying labors too.
Persecutions must be endured, and at times these are fiery and long-continued.

This world is . . .
   a treacherous environment,
   a field of labor,
   a weary land,
   an enemy's country!

The world to the Christian is a place of DANGER. He has foes both within and without. From some he must escape by fleeing--and from some by resisting.

"The corruption in the world caused by evil desires" (2 Peter 1:4) is defiling, debasing, and disturbing! It must be overcome; we must cleanse ourselves from it, and escape from its contagion!

Then we have to do battle with . . .
   the god of this world--the prince of the power of the air;
   the powers of the world--or ungodly, persecuting men in authority;
   the men of the world--or the masses surrounding us;
   the things of the world, especially . . .
     the lust of the flesh,
     the lust of the eye,
     and the pride of life!

In such a world, surrounded by such evil elements and diabolic agents--we must be in danger, and shall be severely tried!!

Hence Jesus pleads with His Father; He fixes on the holiness of His nature and character, and cries, "Holy Father!" His grace, or His mercy, or His pity--more generally attracts us, because we feel unworthy, or miserable, or weak. But His holiness fixes the eye on His obedient Son, and our great High Priest!

He prays for their preservation: "Holy Father, KEEP through Your own name, those whom You have given Me." Keep through Your own name, that is--keep them . . .
   in the knowledge of Yourself and of Your truth;
   by Your power, mercy, and providence;
   to show forth Your truth, Your mercy, and Your love.
The Lord's people, therefore, will be kept by God's power through faith unto salvation.

Beloved, if Jesus thus prayed for us--then our preservation is certain, and our perseverance is sure. We shall be kept, in answer to the prayer of our great High Priest . . .
   to His gratification,
   for His honor, and
   to the Almighty Keeper's glory!

Whatever storms may arise,
whatever foes may assail us,
whatever trials may come upon us--
our Heavenly Father will keep us, in honor of His Son.

Kept by the all-seeing eye and all-powerful hand of Jehovah--we shall persevere, though . . .
   the road is rough and treacherous,
   the journey is long and dangerous,
   and our strength is but small.

Let us in every season of danger . . .
   when foes and fears beset us,
   when our hearts misgive us, and
   the cross lies heavy upon us--
then let us hear Jesus praying for us, "Keep through Your own name--those whom You have given Me!"

Reader! Are you OF the world--or are you one of Christ's redeemed people IN the world? Saints in the world are like . . .
   pure lilies among stinging thorns,
   precious diamonds among filthy pebbles,
   harmless sheep among ravenous wolves!

If the world loves us, smiles on us, and speaks well of us--then we are certainly OF it! And if of the world--we shall certainly be damned along with it.

But if the world is to us a place of trial, and a place of danger; if we feel that we are not at home in it; if we are longing and preparing to leave it, that we may go home and dwell with Jesus in His Father's house forever--then all is well with us, and will be well forever!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: October 28, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »

In the great mirror of eternity!

(John MacDuff, "The Faithful Promiser")

"You do not realize now what I am doing--but you will understand hereafter." John 13:7

As the natural sun sometimes sinks in clouds--so, occasionally, the Christian who has a bright rising, and a brighter meridian, sets in gloom. It is not always "light" at his evening time; but this we know, that when the day of immortality breaks, the last vestige of earth's shadows will forever flee away!

To the closing hour of time, Divine Providence may be to him a baffling enigma; but before the first hour has struck on Heaven's clock--all will be cleared up! My soul! "in God's light, you shall see light." The Book of His decrees is a sealed book now! "A great deep" is all the explanation you can often give to His mysterious ways. The why and the wherefore, He seems to keep from us . . .
  to test our faith,
  to discipline us in trustful submission,
  to conform us to the image of Christ, and
  to lead us to say, "May Your will be done!"

But rejoice that 'hereafter'--light awaits you! Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror--but then, face to face! In the great mirror of eternity--all the events of this chequered earthly scene will be reflected. The darkest of them will be seen to be bright with mercy; the severest of His dispensations will prove to be "only the severer aspects of His love!" Pry not, then, too curiously! Do not judge too censoriously on God's dealings with you. Wait with patience, until the grand day of disclosures; one confession shall then burst from every tongue, "He has done all things well!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 29, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »

My own special treasure!

(Theodore Cuyler, "Wayside Springs from the Fountain of Life" 1883)

"Now if you will obey Me and keep My covenant, you will be My own special treasure from among all the peoples on earth!" Exodus 19:5

Luther said that there is great divinity in the personal pronouns of Scripture. "They will be Mine--in the day when I make up My jewels!" Malachi 3:17

Every true believer is surrendered to the ownership of Christ. Up to the hour of conversion we had other masters--self, sin, and the devil. Now Jesus says to each Christian, "You are Mine! I own you. I will instruct you, and polish you, and put you wherever it pleases Me. I will take care of your salvation, and nothing shall pluck you out of My hand. You shall be My own special treasure in the day of My triumphant appearing. I will place you in My crown!"

"You have been set apart as holy to the LORD your God, and He has chosen you from all the nations of the earth to be His own special treasure!" Deuteronomy 14:2

"The LORD has declared today that you are His people, His own special treasure, just as He promised, and that you must obey all His commands." Deuteronomy 26:18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: October 30, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »

The greatest evil

(Octavius Winslow, "The Lord's Prayer" 1866)

"Deliver us from evil." Matthew 6:13

SIN is the greatest evil. Emancipated from this, you are disenthralled from all evil--for sin is the prolific parent of all.

Sin is your heaviest burden, your bitterest grief.

Conscious of their indwelling within your heart, you long to be delivered from . . .
  the evil passions,
  the carnal lusts,
  the worldly affections,
  the idolatrous attachments,
  the sordid cares--
that enchain and fetter you!

Thus you cry, "Deliver me from the evil of sin! Lord, subdue its power, cleanse its guilt, weaken its assault, and let not any iniquity have dominion over me!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: October 31, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »

A truly humble man!

(Jonathan Edwards)

Humility may be defined to be a habit of mind and heart corresponding to our unworthiness and vileness before God--with the disposition to a behavior consistent thereto.

A truly humble man is sensible of . . .
  the small extent of his knowledge,
  the great extent of his ignorance,
  and his utter spiritual weakness.

He is sensible . . .
  of his natural distance from God,
  of his dependence upon Him,
  of the insufficiency of his own power and wisdom,
  that it is by God's power that he is upheld and provided for,
  that he needs God's wisdom to lead and guide him, and
  that he needs His might to enable him to live a holy life.

The man who is under the influence of a humble spirit . . .
  is content with such a situation as God is pleased to allot to him,
  is not greedy for honor or fame, and
  does not strive to appear exalted above his neighbors.

Humility tends also to prevent an arrogant and domineering behavior. On the contrary, humility, disposes a person to a condescending behavior to the vilest and lowest, and to treat inferiors with courtesy and affability--as being sensible of his own despicableness before God.

If we then consider ourselves as the followers of the meek and lowly and crucified Jesus, we shall walk humbly before God and man all the days of our life on earth.

Know God.

Confess your nothingness and ill-desert before Him.

Distrust yourself.

Rely only on Christ.

Renounce all glory except for Him.

Yield yourself heartily to His will and service.

Avoid an aspiring, ambitious, ostentatious, domineering, arrogant, scornful, stubborn, willful, self-justifying behavior; and strive for more and more of the humble spirit that Christ manifested while He was on earth.

Humility is a most essential and distinguishing trait in all true piety!

Earnestly seek then, and diligently and prayerfully cherish a humble spirit--and God shall walk with you here below, and soon shall "Present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy!" Jude 1:24

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: November 01, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »

Christian contentment

(Jeremiah Burroughs, 1600-1646)

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances!" Philippians 4:11

Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition.

"Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that!" 1 Timothy 6:6-8

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said: Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you!" Hebrews 13:5

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: November 02, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »

A murmuring spirit

("The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment" Jeremiah Burroughs, 1600-1646)

"Why have You brought us out of Egypt to die here in the wilderness? There is nothing to eat here and nothing to drink. And we hate this wretched manna!" Numbers 21:5

"How long shall I bear with this evil congregation who murmur against Me?" Numbers 14:27

I am discontented because I have not those things which God has never promised me.

A wicked man wonders that his cross is so much.
A godly man wonders that his cross is not more.

The wicked man knows of no way to get contentment, but to have his possessions raised up to his desires.

But the Christian has another way to contentment, that is, he can bring his desires down to his possessions, and so he attains his contentment.

The world is infinitely deceived in thinking that contentment lies in having more than we already have.

Here lies the bottom and root of all contentment--when there is an evenness and proportion between our hearts and our circumstances. That is why many godly men who are in low position, live more sweet and comfortable lives than those who are richer.

Grace enables believers to see love in the very frown of God's face!

One drop of Divine sweetness will sweeten a great deal of sour affliction.

A thankful heart loves to acknowledge God whenever it has received any mercy.

Oh, that we could but convince men that a murmuring spirit is a greater evil than any affliction, whatever the affliction!

"Do not murmur, as some of them did--and were killed by the destroying angel." 1 Corinthians 10:10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: November 03, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »

Satan warms himself at the fire!

(Thomas Watson, "Doctrine of Repentance")

"Fools make a mock at sin!" Proverbs 14:9

Sin is a foolish thing. What greater foolishness is there, than to gratify an enemy! Sin gratifies Satan. When lust or anger burn in the soul--Satan warms himself at the fire! Men's sins feast the devil.

Samson was called out to amuse the Philistines. Likewise the sinner amuses the devil! Nothing more satisfies him--than to see men sin. How he laughs to see them hazarding their souls for the world--as if one would trade diamonds for straws; or would fish for gudgeons with golden hooks!

Every wicked man shall be indicted as a fool, at the day of judgment. "But God said to him--You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you!" Luke 12:20

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: November 04, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »

The lesson may be hard to many of us

(J.R. Miller, "The Shining Light" 1911)

"Study to be quiet." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

True spiritual culture is toward the control and the restraining of speech. Christian faith gives a quietness which in itself is one of life's holiest blessings. It gives the quietness of peace--a quietness which the wildest storms cannot disturb, which is a richer possession than all the world's wealth or power.

"Study to be quiet." The lesson may be hard to many of us--but it is well worth all the cost of learning. It brings strength and peace to the heart.

Speech is good--but often silence is better. He who has learned to hold his tongue, is a greater conqueror than the warrior who subdues an empire! The power to be silent under provocation and wrongs, and in the midst of danger and alarms--is the power of the noblest, royalest victoriousness!

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak." James 1:19

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Proverbs 10:19

"Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: November 05, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »

'Chance' or 'blind fate'

(Samuel Davies, "Divine Government--the Joy of Our World")

"The LORD reigns! Let the earth be glad!" Psalm 97:1

We are exposed to numberless accidental and unforeseen dangers, which we can neither prevent nor counter. Sickness and death may proceed from a thousand unsuspected causes. Our friends, our estates, and, in short, all our earthly enjoyments--may be torn from us by a variety of accidents. We walk, as it were, in the dark, and may tread on remediless dangers before we are aware.

"But the LORD reigns! Let the earth be glad!" All contingent events are at His disposal and under His sovereign control. The smallest things are not beneath the notice of His providence, and the greatest are not above it! Those diseases and misfortunes which seem to happen 'by chance'--are commissioned by the Lord of all! And those which result evidently from 'natural causes'--are sent by His almighty will. He says to one, "Go!" and it goes; and to another, "Come!" and it comes!

He orders the devastations that are made by the most raging elements!

If flames lay our houses in ashes--they are kindled by His breath!

If hurricanes sweep through our land, and carry desolation along with them--they but perform His sovereign will, and can do nothing beyond it!

His hand hurls the lightning bolt, and directs it where to strike!

An arrow or a bullet shot at a venture in the heat of battle--is carried to its mark by divine direction!

How wretched a world would this be--were it not under the wise management of divine Providence! If 'chance' or 'blind fate' were its rulers--what desolation would crowd upon us every moment! We would soon be crushed in the ruins of a fallen world. Every wind that blows--might blast us with death! And fire and water would mingle in a blended chaos, and bury us in their destruction!

But so extensive is the care of Providence, that even the sparrows may find safety in it! And we cannot lose so much as a hair of our heads, without God's permission! Matthew 10:29-31. And how much more then, are we His redeemed children under His loving guardianship and direction!

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the