Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:32:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Speaking in Tongues?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking in Tongues?  (Read 7734 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2005, 12:14:46 AM »

That's why I use spell ck.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2005, 12:22:24 AM »

Spell ck? or do you mean spell checker? Wink

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2005, 12:24:11 AM »

Thanks...................is there a spell check here at CU?  I have some kind of spell check something or other on this computer, but I can't use it unless I'm typing a letter on WORD.  I don't like it because it isn't always correct.  Sometimes, visually, I just know a particular word is misspelled;  but that doesn't always help me to spell it correctly, either.  I'll just let it go if I'm too lazy to get a dictionary. Grin

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2005, 12:30:02 AM »

Is that a person who makes sure the job is done? Grin  I mean,  that the spell actually took effect...................... Wink Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2005, 12:30:38 AM »

Actually it's called Spellbound 0.7.3  
 Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

It works great on Firefox for spell checking on forums.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2005, 12:35:06 AM »

Actually it's called Spellbound 0.7.3  
 Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

It works great on Firefox for spell checking on forums.

Oh, I know what that is, I have it on mine. Cheesy

Reba
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2005, 09:08:55 PM »

Thanks...................is there a spell check here at CU?  I have some kind of spell check something or other on this computer, but I can't use it unless I'm typing a letter on WORD.  I don't like it because it isn't always correct.  Sometimes, visually, I just know a particular word is misspelled;  but that doesn't always help me to spell it correctly, either.  I'll just let it go if I'm too lazy to get a dictionary. Grin

I spell so poorly some times i cant find the word i want to use in the dictionary  Cry
ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2005, 11:33:09 AM »

I spell so poorly some times i cant find the word i want to use in the dictionary  Cry

Hmmm.... you're not my daughter by any chance?

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
LittlePilgrim

Little pilgrim, walking down the road of life...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2005, 10:57:39 AM »

Well, I don't have time to read this whole thread... But let me add my two-cents here. Smiley I wrote this awhile back at another Christian forum, and I was speaking to a specific audience. However, I hope it works here too. Smiley

I'd like to answer this one if I may. Wings, your intentions are good, however, I've looked up your references and you've taken things a bit OOC (Out Of Context). If you'd like to use a single verse to support a point, make sure the verses before and after also support it.

Your first reference is 1 Corinthians 2:14, which says:
"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God." (NIV) This, in my mind, is more of a clear translation, because it not only refers to spiritual gifts, but also to spiritual teaching, such as the Gospel. But it does not speak at all of speaking in tongues. In fact, looking at the context, it is actually speaking of spiritual teaching.

Your second reference is 1 Corinthians 14:2, which reads:

"For anyone who speaks in tongues does not speak to man, but to God." But nowhere does it say that Satan isn't able to understand, nor does it say that the prayers not spoken in tongues go anywhere but directly to God. Read the whole of the passage.

NOTE: Words in italics are being emphasized by me, not by the apostle Paul.

I Corinthians 14:1-25
"Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. For anyone who speaks in tongues does not speak to man, but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his Spirit. But everyone who prophecies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement, and comfort. He who speaks with the tongue edifies himself, but he who prophecies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets so that the church may be edified.
Now brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the fulte or harp, how will anyone know what the tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet not one of them is without meaning. If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to him, and he is a foreigner to me. So it is with you. Since you are so eager  to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
For this reason, anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say 'amen' to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. But in the church, I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. In the law it is written:
[font color=red]"Through men of strange tongues
And through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people
But even then they will not listen to me."[/font] says the Lord.
Tongues then are a sign not for believers, but for unbelievers; Prophecy however is for believers, not for unbelievers. So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? But if an unbeliever comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner, and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

The point of this passage, in essence, is that it is more important to edify the church and fellow believers than it is to edify yourself. It is more important to instruct and teach unbelievers than it is yourself. So yes, speaking in tongues is a great gift, and blessed are those that have it. But if you are to pray in tongues, pray also for understanding, that if there are any near you that do not understand, they too may be edified, whether they be unbeliever, or fellow believer. That is what is really important afterall, to build one another up in wisdom and understanding of God and his word.

For I am only human, not some hero of the faith/ I'm merely an example of God's mercy and His grace/ I keep my eyes on Jesus when my gains become a loss/ As I stumble to the cross. -Stumble, Timothy Mark
bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2005, 12:25:09 AM »

Actually, tongues is the first evidence when one is baptized with the Holy Spirit. Read Acts and look up all the references to the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Do I understand you correctly to be saying if a person does not speak in tongues that they have not been baptised with the Holy Spirit?

Yes. Tongues is the evidence that someone is baptized in the Holy Spirit. But that does NOT mean that a born again believer does not have the Holy Spirit residing in them. When one is born again, they receive the Holy Spirit - He comes and lives inside us.

The baptism with "fire", however, is a separate and unique experience, with tongues the evidence of the event.

What are the scriptures that tell us 'tongues is the evidence of the baptism with fire'?

You convenietly left out the scripture that teaches this. Wink
The people in Acts 2,10,19 spoke in human languages.
The Bible tells us not all received this gift. 3000, 5000 in Acts 4:4,31 and 2:41 1Cor.12:30 Please tell me how you understand these passages.

We are saved at the moment of our faith. The believers in the Acts passages were all believers, then they received the gift of tongues. Please read Rom.10:9-10, 1Cor.12:13.

The initial 'evidence doctrine' was coined by the UPCI .It is a false doctrine, in my opinion. It also is not scriptural.

God bless you as you search fot the truth in His word. Kiss

bluelake
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the