Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:46:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Biblical Reasons to Home School
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biblical Reasons to Home School  (Read 2740 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:38:06 PM »

God has delegated the authority and responsibility to teach and raise children to the parents first. Parents can delegate their authority to teach and raise children to someone else, but they can never delegate their responsibility to teach their children to anyone else. God will hold parents responsible for what education their children receive (whether from teachers, books, projects, or peers). To whom much is given, much is required. We have a free choice in this country to not send our children to an ungodly public school—we will, all the more, be responsible. Remember, our children are dying souls entrusted to our care!

I. The raising of children is delegated to parents by God:

1. A. Psalm 127:3-5 (“Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they shall not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gates.”)

2. B. Gen. 33:5, 48:8-9; Isa.8:18; Heb. 2:13 (“Children whom the Lord has given me”)

3. C. Matt. 22:21 (Render to Caesar that which is Caesar’s, and unto God that which is God’s—our children are God’s)

4. D. Training of children was not delegated to the state. The only Biblical accounts of states education were coerced: i.e. Moses, Joseph, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.

II. Children, however, are still considered by God to be His (Therefore, children are a gift of stewardship and parents do not own the children):

1. A. Ezekiel 16:20-21 (“You slaughtered My children and offered them up to idols ...”

2. B. Psalm 139:13-16; Job 10:8-12; Isaiah 49:1,5; Jeremiah 1:5; Luke 1:41,44 (God’s claim to unborn children)

III. God has given us certain conditions we are commanded to meet when raising children (part of our stewardship responsibility):

1. A. Ephesians 6:4 (“Fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.”) Fathers have the greatest responsibility in training their children in the Lord and disciplining them. Are fathers “provoking” their children by sending them to public school?

2. B. Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (also see Deuteronomy 4:9, 11:18-21) We are commanded to diligently teach our children God’s commandments and principles all the time. Sunday school is not enough—children in public school are taught to think as non-christians thirty or more hours a week.

3. C. Psalm 78:1-11 (Teach God’s principles to your children all the time so they will teach their children and so “that they should put their confidence in God and not forget the works of God.”)

4. D. Exodus 13:8,14; Joshua 4:20-22,24 (Teach you children what God has done).

5. E. Proverbs 6:20-23 (Children’s responsibility to obey parents’ teachings who in turn, should be teaching God’s principles)

6. F. Psalm 1:1-2 (Meditate on God’s law day and night); Proverbs 23:7 (“For as a man thinks, so is he”) Children in public school are being taught to think like non-Christians.

7. G. II Corinthians 10:5 (Take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ)

8. H. Isaiah 54:13 (“And all your children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of your children.”); John 21:15 (“Feed My lambs” and “Feed My sheep”).

9. I. Jeremiah 10:12 (“Thus saith the Lord, learn not the way of heathen nations.”) Isn’t that what our children are learning in the public schools?

10. J. Colossians 3:1-3 (“Keep seeking the things above, where Christ is . . . set your mind on things above, not on the things that are on the earth.”) The things above are God’s words recorded in Scripture. The Bible is the “blueprint” for all areas of life.

11. K. Matt. 16:23 (Peter, thinking like a humanist, told Jesus he wouldn’t have to die. Jesus said, “Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me: for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

12. L. Matt. 22:37 (“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your should, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and foremost commandment.”) How can our children love God with their mind when public school trains their minds to ignore God?

13. M. Luke 6:40 (“A pupil is not above his teacher but everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher—a blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit?”) Are spiritually blind teachers teaching our children and leading them astray?

14. N. Romans 12:2 (“Be not conformed to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”) Public schools conform our children to the pattern of this world.

15. O. Prov. 22:6 (“Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old, he will not depart from it.”) We need to train our children in God’s ways now so they will walk in righteousness as adults.

16. P. I Samuel 15:1-23 (“To obey is better than sacrifice.”) Are we trying to make a “sacrifice” to God by sending our children to public school to “save souls” while disobeying God’s clear commands to us concerning raising our children?

IV. Good versus bad “socialization” of children:

1. A. Proverbs 13:20 (“He who walks with wise men, will be wise but a companion of fools will suffer harm”)

2. B. I Corinthians 15:33 (“Be not deceived; bad company corrupts good morals”)

V. Content of true education:

1. A. Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7 (“Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge”)

2. B. Proverbs 2:6, 9:10 (“The Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth comes understanding.”)

3. C. Colossians 1:16-17, 2:3 (All things created by Him and for Him, he holds all together.) James 1:5 (In Christ are all treasures of wisdom)

4. D. II Timothy 3:15-17 (“. . .continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of . . . and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”)

5. E. II Tim. 2:15 (“Study to show yourself approved to God, handling accurately the Word of truth.”)

6. F. James 3:13-18 (Wisdom not from above is earthly, natural, demonic. Wisdom from above is “pure, peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.”) Whose wisdom are your children being taught?

7. G. Psalm 119:97-101 (The goal of education is to train children in God’s law so they can govern themselves, be wiser than their enemies, have more insight than their teachers, understand more than the aged).

8. H. Matthew 18:6 (Whoever harms one of these little ones who believe in Me, it would be better for Him that a millstone hung about his neck and he drowned in the sea.) Are we harming our children if we send them to public school?

Thoughts to remember: God’s truth and His principles are the foundation of all knowledge; children must not only be taught to believe as Christians but also to think as Christians; God’s principles must be taught to children in a comprehensive manner on a daily basis; God’s truth speaks to every academic discipline. Where would Satan like our children to be taught? Sending our children to modern public education is like playing Russian roulette with their souls!

“I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.” III John 4

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
mstrohm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:19:02 AM »

Pastor Roger,

What a wonderful collection of Scripture!  I trust those who have their children in educational systems that have as their goal indoctrinating our children into a worldview that is far from the Scripture will take note!

Having been in education for more that 20 years I am amazed at how we sometimes fall into pushing a “system” rather than principles.  Some believe homeschooling is godly because it is “homeschooling”.  Unfortunately, I have seen many home school families that have neglected the very principles your group of Scripture have made so clear.  As a Christian school principal I have witnessed many Christian schools who have also lost their way.  (Just a note here – I have started homeschool support groups and have two siblings who homeschool their children.  I have been in Christian school ministry for over 20 years.)

Homeschooling is not innately godly – remember the priests taught the young men in the synagogues.  Scripture clearly talks of fathers placing their children under the tutelage of others. (Gal 4:2) 

I agree we need to take these verses seriously!!  The headmaster at the school I presently work at wrote a short article on “Option or Conviction” concerning Christian education.  You may find it interesting.
Pastor Roger,

What a wonderful collection of Scripture!  I trust those who have their children in educational systems that have as their goal indoctrinating our children into a worldview that is far from the Scripture will take note!

Having been in education for more that 20 years I am amazed at how we sometimes fall into pushing a “system” rather than principles.  Some believe homeschooling is godly because it is “homeschooling”.  Unfortunately, I have seen many home school families that have neglected the very principles your group of Scripture have made so clear.  As a Christian school principal I have witnessed many Christian schools who have also lost their way.  (Just a note here – I have started homeschool support groups and have two siblings who homeschool their children.  I have been in Christian school ministry for over 20 years.)

Homeschooling is not innately godly – remember the priests taught the young men in the synagogues.  Scripture clearly talks of fathers placing their children under the tutelage of others. (Gal 4:2) 

I agree we need to take these verses seriously!!  The headmaster at the school I presently work at wrote a short article on “Option or Conviction” concerning Christian education.  You may find it interesting.
http://colossians2.com/teach/2006/02/08/option-or-conviction/

Mark Strohm
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 12:23:23 PM »

Hi Mark,

I have nothing against a good Christian school. I think that they can be a very excellant option to todays public schools. Sometimes it is not a viable option for families expecially with the expense of so many of them. The cost of Christian schools is usually priced right but there are many parents that cannot afford to send several children at once. As you pointed out also just because it has the label "Christian School" does not necessarily make it a Godly resource.

The only Christian school in my area that I would recommend to anyone is to far for many to get their children to on a daily basis. For these reasons I have been assisting many in this area in homeschooling their children. This posting is one of the things that I start these parents out with.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 05:36:56 AM »

Pastor Roger,

I always thought homeschooling was simply being "pushed" as a viable option to consider! Which it is! 
Too many have fallen under the assumption that we must "give up" our children to strangers.
Most Christian families have to learn the hard way that just because a school has "Christian" in the title doesn't mean it is. I have seen many Christian schools that have neglected the very principles the group of Scriptures have made so clear.
Each family must prayerfully let God lead them! 

What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. (Gal 1,2)
This could also "read" as parents being the guardians and trustees until the time set by the Father.  Smiley

A quote from the article:
“An education in which Jesus Christ is central will influence the whole course of your child’s life.”
Whether it be public, private, or home school; I pray that we all agree on this!  Cheesy

mstrohm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:46:29 PM »

Pastor Roger,

I am thrilled that you are presenting the Scriptural basis for education.  Far too often parents are not interested enough.  Public schools have totally abandoned any type of morality, many Christian schools and home educators have "lost their purpose".  We always need to be riminded what it is we are doing.

God Bless,

Mark Strohm, Jr.
http://blog.colossians2.com/
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 02:12:12 AM »

Amen Brothers and Sisters,

I think about education in an old-fashioned way that has served Christian families well for centuries. The things of the LORD are and should be the foundation for education. This must not be neglected, and the ultimate responsibility falls on the parents. Many other problems will be worked out if the foundation is and remains the LORD.

We live in societies where the norm is full speed ahead, and it's not uncommon for Christian parents to self-impose this same norm. We should know that many of the really important things in this short life suffer when we go full speed. YES, I'm guilty also. If I could go back and change some things, it would definitely be to slow down and spend much more time on the things that really matter. The things of the LORD, family, my wife, and my children are much more important than buying a new house, etc. After all, JESUS has already gone to prepare a place for us, and it will be beyond our imagination.

I give thanks that we did get the most important things done with our children, but it was with the help of GOD and family. Our responsibilities to our children should not be viewed as a chore, rather as a joy.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 4:4-6 NASB  There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

mstrohm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »

I agree we are too busy!  I wrote the following blog entry on pruning the activity branches:
http://blog.colossians2.com/2006/02/05/prune-the-activity-branches/

God bless.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 04:34:31 AM »

Top 10 Excuses Not To Homeschool
by Tamara Eaton

1. My kids drive me crazy.

Then maybe it's time you do something so they don't drive everyone else crazy, too! It's easier to ignore problem areas if you send your children off to school each day ~ you don't have to put up with it all the time. Let the teacher and other students do it instead.

But who must answer to the Lord for how you taught and trained your child? Not the teacher but the parent. Homeschooling isn't a "cure-all" for poor behavior but it does give us time together to work out any problems instead of ignoring them, and it eliminates the negative role models and peer pressure which often influences negative behavior.

Or maybe you feel that they DO respect others, just not you? You can tell them when to brush their teeth, get dressed, go to bed ~ just not when to do their math! There is really no difference ~ it's all a matter of obedience and respect.

Ephesians 6:1-2 "Children obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."

2. I don't have enough patience.

Patience comes through overcoming trials and learning to yield to the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25) instead of the fruit of flesh. You'll never develop patience if you continually avoid opportunities that would require you to put it into practice. But you might be surprised how quickly it grows with frequent exercise ~ homeschooling can be that vehicle the Lord uses to work patience in you!

3. I'm not highly educated.

Fine ~ here's your chance to learn right along with your children! There are tremendous resources available to help us teach our own children. Studies have proven time and again that the success of homeschooling is not dependent upon the level of the parents' education. According to Dr. Brian Ray's recent study, "Home educated students' test scores remain between the 80th and 90th percentiles, whether their mothers have a college degree or did not complete high school." [from National Home Education Research Institute. And there's lots more "proof in the pudding" where that came from!]

4. I love my job.

What's more important during this season of your life ~ your children or your job? Your job can wait. Your children can't. Your decisions and priorities are already influencing them every day ~ either for good or bad. I've never heard older people say that they wished they had spent more time on their job. I have heard them say they wished they had spent more time with their children.

If you love your job more than spending time with your children then maybe this is a sign that your priorities need reevaluating.

5. I don't have time.

There is always time to do the will of God. Is He calling you to homeschool? Then He will provide the time. As a result of homeschooling our children, we have limited outside activities and found a simpler lifestyle. We're not forced to succumb to the modern pressures and stresses of our society with its hectic pace ~ instead we are able to slow down enough to enjoy time together as a family, embracing a slower paced lifestyle without sacrificing the modern conveniences of our microwaves, washers, dryers and computers!

6. I'm selfish ~ I need my privacy and space.

Jesus said unless we take up our cross and die to self, we can't be His disciple. (Luke 9:23-24, 14:27) Good parenting requires sacrifices during this season of our life. However, choosing to homeschool doesn't mean that you can never have any privacy anymore. When the children are young, we have regular naptimes and bedtimes so that gives us time apart. Older children are trained to respect the need for quiet time in the afternoons and evenings. The children also have their own activities and playtimes apart from mom during the day at times, too.

7. I can't afford it.

If it's God's will that you homeschool, you can't afford not to! And He will provide all your needs if you trust Him. (Matthew 6:33) We have never been a "high income" family but God has worked in the most unexpected ways to provide our needs over the years. Think of how much you spend now by sending your child off to school ~ don't forget to include the "hidden" expenses of special school wardrobes to keep up with the peers. Homeschooling curriculum can cost as much or as little as you like ~ it all depends on what you choose to do. The public library is free and full of helpful resources for your homeschooling! We have always chosen not to purchase a full packaged curriculum and saved so much money by putting together our own curriculum.

8. I never liked school.

Homeschooling will help you see how enjoyable learning can be in a relaxed, pressure-free atmosphere at home! You don't have to structure your homeschool like a public or private school ~ so don't let your past experience with school hinder you from committing to homeschool your children. Give them the opportunity to experience what you missed out on in your childhood and see how much fun you can have while learning together!

My children are too sociable ~ they'd get lonely homeschooling.

An EXCELLENT reason to educate them at home so you can make sure their "socialization" experiences are positive instead of negative. Homeschooling doesn't require your children to become hermits, but you will have the freedom to select the activities and make sure they are blessings and not hindrances.

10. I could NEVER do that!

If we had known in advance and in detail all the negatives and challenges we'd have to face as parents, who among us would have been brave enough to have children? God gives us the grace, strength and wisdom we need when we need it ~ not in advance! I find great encouragement in scriptures that remind me that I must yield and abide, then He is sufficient to take care of all the needs and enable me to fulfill my responsibilities.

II Corinthians 3:4-5 "And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God..."

John 15:4-5 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in Me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing."

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

And the following scripture has always encouraged me when I've been tempted to dwell upon my inadequacies:

1 Corinthians 1:27-31 "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God had chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to naught things that are: That no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."

Homeschooling, like parenting, requires faith ~ faith that the Lord will give us wisdom and grace as we need it. In His infinite wisdom, He has designed us so that we MUST rely upon Him! Why doesn't He give us all the wisdom we need to be parents right at the start when the child is first conceived? Instead, He allows wisdom and maturity to develop as we grow through trials, the study of His Word, and experiences ~ all the while, pointing out our need of Him daily in order to walk in His ways. Thus, He receives ALL the glory!

May the Lord direct your family in His Ways and give you clear wisdom and direction in the education of your children!

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

©Copyright 1997 by Tamara Eaton - http://www.chfweb.com/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the