Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Complaint Department
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Complaint Department  (Read 2258 times)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »

From ladiesagainstfeminism.com

Biblical Womanhood and Christian Living
The Complaint Department
By Mrs. Blaine Staat
Jan 10, 2006, 20:59

I don't think they have a Complaint Department anymore...I believe it is now called Customer Service. The great thing about this department is that if you had a problem, you could go straight to the source with your grievance and get some resolution to your situation. Over the years, many have taken advantage of this department in hopes of getting something for nothing. I used to work in Customer Service...not a fun job, I will tell you!

Do you sometimes feel you have become the complaint department? Do you have a family member, friend or neighbor that continually comes to you with the same problem over and over to the point that you feel you have to avoid them? You have tried to help her, yet she seems to have either the same problem or another one to replace the previous issue. I think this is how Moses must have felt when dealing with the Israelites:

Moses said to the Lord, "Why pick on me, to give me the burden of a people like this? Are they my children? Am I their father? Is that why you have given me the job of nursing them along like babies until we get to the land you promised their ancestors? Where am I supposed to get meat for all these people? For they weep to me saying, 'Give us meat!' I can't carry this nation by myself! The load is far too heavy! If you are going to treat me like this, please kill me right now; it will be a kindness! Let me out of this impossible situation!" ~ Numbers 11:11-15

The Israelites complained over and over when every morning they had a miracle given to them--manna. Yet they continued to complain, because they didn't have meat or fish or the things they'd enjoyed back in Egypt. They complained amongst themselves about their misfortunes, and instead of finding The Complaint Department, they found The Place of Burning (Numbers 11:1-3).

In Numbers 11, Moses complained to God, so what is the difference between the Israelites' complaining and that of Moses? If you read on past verse 15, you see how God responded to Moses positively, then negatively towards the others. The people complained to each other, and nothing was accomplished. I think they relished their situation. They always seemed to find something to complain about but never seemed to find a solution to the problem. The difference is that Moses took his complaint straight to God, Who can solve any problem.

I had a dear friend over a while back. She shared a story with me about her friends and what they did for her. She was going through a really tough time in her life, and her friends were wonderful and listened to her often--but the great thing that they did is they did not allow her to wallow in the situation. They simply told her to quit complaining and do something about it! Her friends were following God's principles. They grieved with her and wept with her, but they also were honest enough with her to let her know that the complaining time was over.

"Wounds from a friend are better than kisses from an enemy!" ~ Proverbs 27:6

"In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. ~ Proverbs 28:23

These friends had her best interests at heart, even if it meant hurting her feelings at first. An enemy will give you the words you want to hear to help further your pity party, sending you deeper and deeper into despair and ruin. A true friend will light the fire under you, whereas someone who is not looking out for your best interest will sometimes enjoy your complaints and enjoy seeing you down in the pits--and will only sweeten the pot.

My friend did something about it! She bravely took that step forward in faith and asked God to take control of the issues at hand. You know what happened? God blessed her and what she did. The situation was restored, and I can't tell you the joy I felt watching her tell this story. Tears filled her eyes as she told me what happened and all that she went through. Those tears turned into happy ones, because the outcome was one in which you knew God was involved. The resolution did not happen overnight, but my friend had faith and confidence that God would take care of everything. She went straight to the Source, didn't she?

Complaint:

*grievance

*squawk

*whine

*nag

*grumble

I have the word "nagging" beside this scripture verse in Proverbs: "A constant dripping on a rainy day and a cranky woman are much alike! You can no more stop her complaints than you can stop the wind or hold onto anything with oil-slick hands" (Proverbs 27:15,16)

Have you ever given a gift to someone only to have them complain that the size was wrong or they found something wrong with it? How did that make you feel? I wonder if this is how we sound and look to God when we are constantly complaining?

Maybe the complaints are thoughts of having this or that or seeing that someone has something you want--and I'm not talking about their brand-new house and cool car...maybe you wish your husband would treat you the way her husband does? Maybe you wish you had the same talent your friend does, and, instead of being happy for her or encouraging her, you complain and find fault and criticize her? We can read about Miriam and Aaron and how they criticized Moses in Numbers 12 and what that got them. The real issue was that they were jealous of Moses and his position and the influence he had over the Israelites. They were looking so hard to find something to hold against Moses. They lusted after Moses' position, and their desire for something they didn't have turned into greed.

So how did God respond to Moses' complaint and to the people? God gave them what they wanted. Yep, He sure did! The Lord sent them meat so much so that anywhere they walked there were quail three and four feet above the ground. And what do we find the Israelites doing? They caught and killed all the quail they could get their hands on, day and night. The least that was gathered was 100 bushels. Quail was spread all about the camp. Can we say hoarding? How about lust, greed, and desire? The result? They had so much meat that they began to throw it up through their noses. The result is that they angered God, and he sent a plague upon them after eating the meat. Those still living ended up burying so many people that they named the spot "The Place of the Graves Caused by Lust." The Israelites wanted something to the point of angering God. They couldn't see the blessings that they had, because they were so focused on having something they didn't have. Do we do that?

Are we getting up in the morning and throwing open our tents with complaints? Do you enjoy complaining? Is it getting us anything? Maybe you enjoy the misery and enjoy the sympathy you get from others. Do you think by going to a friend and continually complaining about the same thing over and over that you are not draining the life out of them? Do you wonder why they are not returning your phone calls? Do you think about all that they have and then all that you don't have, comparing yourself to them?

Quit complaining and do something about it! Stop looking at what you don't have and start looking at what you do have. God is not going to give you more when you can't seem to take care of and be thankful for what you do have now. You are like that ungrateful friend who finds fault with the gift you have given them!

Ungrateful...thankless...ingratitude...unappreciative...is that what we have become?

List just five things you are grateful for that God has given you. I can think of a few things right now. You are up and reading this, which means God protected you through the night. He gave you another day, rain or shine. It is yours to do something with it! If you are reading this, you have access to a computer and the Internet. This morning you had breakfast--I can think of so many who did not.

We have the lessons of the Israelites. Are we going to learn from them or continue to repeat them?

The Complaint Department is now CLOSED!

© Copyright 2002-2006 by LAF/BeautifulWomanhood.org

TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »

Sincereheart:  This is powerful!  And I hope I'm never labeled a malcontent!  Among my MANY blessings I count ChristiansUnite!  Everyone here has a sweet heart and I've felt so much genuine love here.  I am of course very grateful for my health - the Lord has His hand on me.  What I keep in mind when I'm going through tribulation is that God is always on time!  He's never late!  When I wait on Him, I rise from the ashes like the Phoenix . . . thank you for these immortal words of wisdom, I will never forget them.

Blessings-

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 07:43:11 AM »

Sincereheart:  This is powerful!  And I hope I'm never labeled a malcontent!  Among my MANY blessings I count ChristiansUnite!  Everyone here has a sweet heart and I've felt so much genuine love here.  I am of course very grateful for my health - the Lord has His hand on me.  What I keep in mind when I'm going through tribulation is that God is always on time!  He's never late!  When I wait on Him, I rise from the ashes like the Phoenix . . . thank you for these immortal words of wisdom, I will never forget them.

Blessings-

You're very welcome!  Cheesy
I know I have those days where I just want to concentrate on what's wrong instead of counting my blessings.  Embarrassed
But when I do get that kick in my seat from the Lord and I start counting again, I realize how undeservedly blessed I am!  Cheesy

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »

A line from the article:
He gave you another day, rain or shine. It is yours to do something with it!
And a wonderful example:

"JUST AS I AM"

It is a popular selection of sacred music that has been called the "world's greatest soul-winning hymn." Some say that it has influenced more people than any other song of worship. Very likely it has affected more persons than the greatest sermons of all time. Evangelist Billy Graham chose it as his "Invitation" theme, played at the end of each service when audience members are urged to come forward and make a "commitment to Christ." Graham said this about "Just As I Am": "That well-known Gospel hymn has been used by God in crusades all over the world to draw people to Himself, not only in English but also in other languages as well." He also chose it as the title of his 1997 autobiography.
From the mind of a bed-ridden young woman, the inspiring words of "Just As I Am" demonstrate a basic cornerstone of Christian faith: If people come to Christ with all "excess baggage": (faults, hostility, anxieties, etc.), He will pardon and cleanse them.

That young woman, Charlotte Elliott, was born on March 18, 1789 in Clapham, England. For her first 30 years on earth, she was happy and cheerful, enjoying life to the fullest. She even acquired a descriptive nickname: "Carefree Charlotte." She had dual careers as a popular portrait artist and as a writer of humorous verse.

However, in 1819 Charlotte's health suddenly failed. Her body was attacked by a serious ailment which forced her to spend most of every day in bed. She once described her illness this way: " ... (frequent) bodily feelings of almost overpowering weakness, languor (sluggishness), and exhaustion ... day after day ... hour after hour ..." and periods of " ... great physical suffering ..."

Struck down by this malady, Charlotte became depressed and despondent. She was listless, feeling futile because she was unable to leave her home. She also rebelled against God, expressing strong feelings of defiance and resistance.

One night in 1822 Charlotte's father invited a friend to their Brighton home for dinner. He was Dr. Caesar Malan, a Swiss minister, evangelist, and musician. Mr. Elliott hoped that Dr. Malan could help his daughter break through her wall of despair to regain her confidence and faith.

At the dinner table Charlotte became very emotional, making unpleasant comments. Dr. Malan spoke plainly to her, saying she was "tired of herself ... holding on to hate and anger ..." and becoming " ... sour, bitter, and resentful ..." Immediately Charlotte responded positively. She unburdened herself, releasing all the feelings she had been keeping inside and asking how she could know "peace and joy."

Dr. Malan replied: "Come as you are to the Lamb of God ... who takes away sins of the world ... bring (your) fears, hate, temper, and pride and He will give great love in their place ..." He told her that she would be " ... welcomed and relieved ..."

Instantly Charlotte was a changed person, placing complete trust in "Christ's redemptive sacrifice ..." and expressing the "peace and joy" she desired. For the rest of her life, Charlotte Elliott celebrated that day every year as her "spiritual birthday" when she had gone from " ... despair to faith ..."

For 14 years Dr. Malan's words lay dormant in Charlotte's mind, like seeds waiting to sprout and blossom. Then in 1836 her brother needed help. He was a pastor and was trying to build a school in Brighton for the children of poor clergymen. Since she couldn't take part in bazaars or other fund-raising projects, she decided to write the words for a special hymn that might generate income that she could donate to the school. Dr. Malan's advice came back to her as she wrote, and so "Just As I Am" came to life--her "spiritual autobiography."

As it turned out, the hymn brought in more money than all other church projects combined. It was published that same year as part of the "Invalid's Hymn Book" which contained 115 of Charlotte's original works. The melody was composed by a well-known American gospel musician, William B. Bradbury.

During her lifetime Charlotte wrote a total of 150 hymns. Today she is considered to be one of England's finest hymnwriters.

Charlotte Elliott never recovered her health. She continued to be confined at home and was forced to bear much discomfort for the remainder of her life. With the help of Dr. Malan, she was able to maintain a fulfilling life. She died in 1871 at the age of 82.

http://www.workersforjesus.com/just.htm

TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »

I wish I could talk to Charlotte!  Bitterness is such a waste of time!  I too, was a carefree, fun-loving young woman when suddenly at age 40 I became gravely ill and almost died.  The outcome is that I'm still carefree and fun-loving but also home-bound and in a wheelchair, spending a lot of time in bed because the physical pain overwhelms me.  One leg is amputated and we're fighting to keep the other. . . I'm losing my vision.  Oh, dear sweet Charlotte! How easy it would be for me to blame God and cry "why me?".  How easy it would be to wallow in the pity I see in people's faces.  But none of that would heal my physical condition... I don't want pity and I tell anyone that expresses it to take it somewhere else!  The whole world hurts in one degree or another, it's not God's fault!  My attitude is: why not me?  Trial brings you closer to the Lord and in my humble opinion, that's where we should all be.  I do take exception though to a word that has been used to describe people like me.  That word is "invalid".  There is nothing "in-valid" about me I am very valid!  I have a purpose for God and that validates me.

Blessings-

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 01:32:24 PM »

Sisters,

Please excuse me for sneaking into the "Just For Women" area again.

I must say:

AMEN! AND AMEN!

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Peter 1:3 NASB  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 01:45:12 PM »

..... and I must but in also with another great big .........

AMEN!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 06:09:39 PM »

I wish I could talk to Charlotte!  Bitterness is such a waste of time!  I too, was a carefree, fun-loving young woman when suddenly at age 40 I became gravely ill and almost died.  The outcome is that I'm still carefree and fun-loving but also home-bound and in a wheelchair, spending a lot of time in bed because the physical pain overwhelms me.  One leg is amputated and we're fighting to keep the other. . . I'm losing my vision.  Oh, dear sweet Charlotte! How easy it would be for me to blame God and cry "why me?".  How easy it would be to wallow in the pity I see in people's faces.  But none of that would heal my physical condition... I don't want pity and I tell anyone that expresses it to take it somewhere else!  The whole world hurts in one degree or another, it's not God's fault!  My attitude is: why not me?  Trial brings you closer to the Lord and in my humble opinion, that's where we should all be.  I do take exception though to a word that has been used to describe people like me.  That word is "invalid".  There is nothing "in-valid" about me I am very valid!  I have a purpose for God and that validates me.

Blessings-

LOL! That's why I highlighted the book title! 115 of her original works! She was no "invalid"! God had a very VALID plan for her!  Cheesy
It's wonderful to hear your attitude! What a blessing you must be to those around you!  Cheesy
But don't feel bad for Charlotte! God knew what He was doing by putting Dr. Malan there! And how we all still benefit over 100 years later!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:11:29 PM by sincereheart » Logged

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 06:13:16 PM »

You mean the guys can read this?  Shocked

Grin

And Tom, I know we all feel safer knowing that there's police protection!  Wink

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »

Prayer Muscles

Reading: Isaiah 58: 9 - 11

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."

Prayer:

Lord Jesus, I bow before Your throne this morning asking for a clean mind and heart. As I do, I ask You to reveal any secret, hidden places that still exist so Your bright light can shine there and cast out the darkness that exists. I am aware that one of Satan’s favorite tricks is to attack us in the area of our darkest secrets - often stopping us dead in our tracks from going any further in our walk with You. I am so grateful that even as I begin praying You are showing me how my own insecurities have often led me to make foolish choices - largely because I struggled to keep control myself instead of surrendering that control to You.

I am reaching out to You this morning asking You to help me cast off any insecurities that might still dwell within my own flesh and set me free. I know how easy it is to become trapped in a place of self pity where all we can see are our own needs and desires. I lived there far too long and never want to backslide into that murky darkness again.

Everywhere I look I see “walking wounded”. All through the Body of Christ many good, solid Christians are locked in a prison that keeps them focused on their own needs and successfully prevents them from participating in the life You have for them. I know we no longer have the luxury of unlimited time. I know we must lay down the tools of our childhood and pick up true spiritual maturity. You warn us in Your Word about being prepared, and You remind us how successful the enemy can be as he prowls around devouring the weak.

My prayer today is that You will set Your people free from anything that is holding them back from accomplishing the life choices You have laid out for them. I pray Your children will begin to look beyond themselves and reach out for You, trusting in Your wisdom and guidance instead of their own. Help Your kids to recognize that self-pity will only lead one place, and that is to a place of defeat. This is not where You want Your kids to live. Help me to do what I can to stay strong so You can use me to help others. We cannot fight alone - we need each other.

I pray this day that the forgiveness that comes from a place of self-sacrifice will permeate the Body of Christ. I pray You will give us what we need to fight off the attacks that will surely come our way so we can keep on, keeping on. We have so many opportunities to bring light into the darkness, and yet I know our own insecurities and selfishness often keep us stuck in the mud. I claim victory today for myself, my brothers and sisters in Christ, my church and my country. I claim freedom from pettiness and selfishness and ask You to root out the self-centered spirit of darkness that has such firm control over our lives.

Thank You that You are reminding me every day of my place in Your Body. Thank You that whenever I falter You are just a prayer away. Thank You that You surround me with people of integrity and spiritual strength and wisdom to help me move forward. Thank You that You remind me often how to respond to you if I want You to answer. As the prophet Isaiah has reminded me, when I respond as You call “then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; then you will cry for help, and He will say: Here am I." This wonderful Scripture has sustained me over many years and reminds me of how much You desire Your children to walk free from the oppressive yoke of self pity.

I know that when we fall to our knees in prayer nothing will be able to stand against the church. She will be changed to become that shining light on the hill beckoning to all who have eyes to see, challenging them to look up into the face of God where true peace and freedom is found. Your children will then take their place in the army of the Lord that is forming - even as I pray and the Great Commission will be fulfilled. It starts with prayer so help us to understand Your call to prayer.

Thank You my King for Your example as all throughout Scripture You went to Your father in prayer seeking His wisdom and leaning on His strength. Remove the yoke of pride that disguises itself as a critical nature and set Your children truly free. I never again want to be held captive by anything that will stop me from having an open line of communication to You my King. You are my lifeblood and without the nutrients I receive from time spent with You, I will remain in bondage - and that simply must not happen. Help me I cry, I need Your strength, wisdom and power.

Devotional Idea:

One of the most damaging of Satan’s counterfeit strategies in the church today is the pride that comes in the disguise of criticism and self pity. As Christians we never want to give in to anything that will keep us from an open dialogue with God. God warns us that He resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Search Your heart and ask Him to reveal any self-pity or criticism that is holding You back from accomplishing what He has for you. As You surrender in prayer, you will find yourself being bathed in His Presence - where nothing is impossible.

http://www.allaboutgod.com//devotions/pmjun09-jun15.htm

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 06:22:59 PM »

On June 17, 1966, two black men strode into the Lafayette Grill in Paterson, New Jersey, and shot three people to death. Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a celebrated black boxer, and an acquaintance were falsely charged and wrongly convicted of the murders in a highly publicized and racially charged trial. The fiercely outspoken boxer maintained his claims of innocence and became his own jailhouse lawyer. After serving nineteen years, Carter was released.

As a free man, Carter reflected on how he has responded to injustice in his life.

The question invariably arises, it has before and it will again: "Rubin, are you bitter?" And in answer to that I will say, "After all that's been said and done—the fact that the most productive years of my life, between the ages of twenty-nine and fifty, have been stolen; the fact that I was deprived of seeing my children grow up—wouldn't you think I would have a right to be bitter? Wouldn't anyone under those circumstances have a right to be bitter? In fact, it would be very easy to be bitter. But that has never been my nature, or my lot, to do things the easy way. If I have learned nothing else in my life, I've learned that bitterness only consumes the vessel that contains it. And for me to permit bitterness to control or to infect my life in any way whatsoever would be to allow those who imprisoned me to take even more than the 22 years they've already taken. Now that would make me an accomplice to their crime.
James S. Hirsch, Hurricane: The Miraculous Journey of Rubin Carter (Boston/New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2000), p. 310; submitted

http://www.preachingtoday.com/25494

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the