Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Hoekstra - Day By Day By Grace
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hoekstra - Day By Day By Grace  (Read 88640 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2006, 02:20:59 PM »

November 7

Rahab, the Harlot, Rescued, by Faith

By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.  (Heb_11:31)

God delivered the fortress of Jericho into the hands of His people, as the walls fell down, by faith. "By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days" (Heb_11:30). This evil city of abominations was then destroyed, as the holy Lord God had justly required. "You shall utterly destroy them . . . lest they teach you to do according to all their abominations which they have done for their gods" (Deu_20:17-18). Yet, the family of Rahab, the harlot, was rescued, by faith. "By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe."

In preparation for entering the land, Joshua had sent out two spies, who were eventually received by Rahab. "Now Joshua. . . sent out two men . . . to spy secretly, saying, 'Go, view the land, especially Jericho.' So they went, and came to the house of a harlot named Rahab, and lodged there" (Jos_2:1). The king of Jericho searched for the men and could not find them, for Rahab had concealed them. "She had brought them up to the roof and hidden them with the stalks of flax" (Jos_2:6). Why would this woman have risked her life to protect these two strangers? She and her family had heard of the reality of the God of Israel. "We have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites . . . whom you utterly destroyed. And as soon as we heard these things, our hearts melted . . . for the LORD your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath" (Jos_2:10-11). This heathen family now wanted to turn from their idolatrous ways and identify by faith with the true and living Lord God and with His people. "Then she let them down by a rope through the window, for her house was on the city wall" (Jos_2:15).

By her confession of faith, confirmed by her actions of faith, Rahab and her family were rescued from the judgment that her unbelieving city experienced. "And Joshua spared Rahab the harlot, her father's household, and all that she had. So she dwells in Israel to this day" (Jos_6:25). She became a part of the nation Israel, even appearing in the line of Jesus, the Messiah! "The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ . . . Abraham begot Isaac . . . Salmon begot Boaz by Rahab" (Mat_1:1-2, 5). What astounding blessings come to those who believe. By faith, Rahab went from judgment to deliverance, from idols to God, from shame to honor!

Lord God of all who believe, I am humbled and encouraged by Rahab's testimony. It is humbling to see how much more revelation I have — yet, at times, I wrestle with fears and doubts. However, it is encouraging to see the radical changes that You bring whenever we trust in You!

Day-By-Day By Grace by Pastor Bob Hoekstra
(Courtesy of Bob Hoekstra and Living in Christ Ministries)

Dist. Worldwide in the Great Freeware Bible Study package called
e-Sword by Rick Meyer: http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html
Full Featured - Outstanding - Completely FREE - No Strings Attached

(The goal of Rick Meyer is to distribute excellent Bible Study
Software to every country on earth in their own language FREE
of charge, and that goal gets closer by the day.)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 08, 2006, 09:21:14 AM »

November 8

Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah — by Faith

And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah.  (Heb_11:32)

So much has been noted in these chronicles of faith concerning the extensive consequences that appear as faith accesses grace. As our present verse implies, days and pages seem too short to also relate the testimonies of Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah — who many might view as "unlikely examples" of living by faith.

In Gideon, God was calling an unlikely leader as His instrument for delivering His people. His humble reply was, "O my Lord, how can I save Israel? . . . I am the least in my father's house" (Jdg_6:15). The Lord's promise was, "Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat the Midianites (Jdg_6:16). When 32,000 Israelites rallied for battle (see Jdg_7:3), God diminished Gideon's army to an unimpressive, outnumbered 300. "Then the LORD said to Gideon, 'By the three hundred men who lapped I will save you" (Jdg_7:7). Gideon went forth by faith, and the Lord was faithful to His word. "When the three hundred blew the trumpets, the LORD set every man's sword against his companion . . . and the army fled" (Jdg_7:22).

Again, in Barak, another unlikely leader was selected by the Lord. First, he would not go forth to battle unless the prophetess Deborah accompanied him "And Barak said to her, If you will go with me, then I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go' " (Jdg_4:8). Also, his godless opponent was actually defeated by another woman. "Sisera had fled away on foot to the tent of Jael, the wife of Heber . . . Then Jael . . . took a tent peg and took a hammer in her hand . . . and drove the peg into his temple . . . for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died" (Jdg_4:17, Jdg_4:21).

In Samson, we have another unexpected example of faith. Although he did many mighty exploits, he often proved to be a vain and foolish man (especially, concerning women). Yet, in his death, he won his greatest victory of all. "O Lord God, remember me, I pray! Strengthen me, I pray, just this once, O God . . . So the dead that he killed at his death were more than he had killed in his life" (Jdg_16:28, Jdg_16:30).

In Jephthah, we have one more unlikely example of faith. He was the "son of a harlot" (Jdg_11:1). He made what appeared to be an unwise vow (Jdg_11:1). Still, on occasion, his trust in the Lord was evident. "Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah . . . and the LORD delivered them into his hands" (Jdg_11:29, Jdg_11:32).

Lord God of the "unlikely servant," I thank You for these testimonies of those "likely to be overlooked by many." Yet, at various times and in many situations, their faith in You was demonstrated. Lord, I am encouraged that you are not looking for the spectacular performer or the capable achiever. You are looking for people who will trust in You, as You deal with their shortcomings. I praise You, Lord, for such lovingkindness!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 14, 2006, 01:42:36 AM »

November 9

David and Samuel — by Faith

Time would fail me to tell . . . also of David and Samuel.  (Heb_11:32)

Our divinely inspired author sensed that time was running out in his epistle to elaborate upon the faith of Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah. He was also impressed to record that time was not sufficient to include specific testimony about the faith of David and Samuel. This is surprising, since they would be viewed by many as likely candidates for extensive consideration.

David was such a notable man of faith. He faced the giant Goliath by faith. "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts' " (1Sa_17:45). When Saul wanted to destroy him, David entrusted the King into the hands of the Lord. "Let the LORD judge between you and me, and let the LORD avenge me on you. But my hand shall not be against you" (1Sa_24:12). He confidently confessed the Lord as his strength, his joy, and his comprehensive salvation. "The LORD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation" (Psa_118:14). He even turned to the Lord in humble dependence at the lowest spiritual point in his life (after he sinned tragically in adultery and murder). "Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin" (Psa 51:1-2).

Samuel was another notable man of faith. He began to trust in the Lord as a young boy. "Then the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, 'Samuel! Samuel!' And Samuel answered, 'Speak, for Your servant hears' " (1Sa_3:10).

Then, he grew spiritually and faithfully served the Lord throughout the nation of Israel. "So Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground. And all Israel from Dan to Beersheba knew that Samuel had been established as a prophet of the LORD" (1Sa_3:19-20). Also, he courageously rebuked King Saul for not fully carrying out his instructions from God to destroy the Amalekites. "Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king" (1Sa_15:23).

David and Samuel were outstanding servants of the Lord. However, the noteworthy distinctive in their lives was the same spiritual factor that caused some men of lesser renown to be listed here as well — faith. "For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah" (Heb_11:32).

Lord God of the "likely servant," in many ways, I can identify with Barak and Jephthah more readily than with David and Samuel. Yet, I am encouraged to see that what pleases You in any person is always the same — faith. Teach me to trust You, Lord.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 14, 2006, 01:44:55 AM »

November 10

More Consequences of Accessing Grace through Faith

Time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness.  (Heb_11:32-33)

With time and pages running out in his epistle, our divinely inspired writer summarizes the testimonies of specific servants of the Lord (Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, and Samuel), as well as one general category (the prophets). In his summary, we see more consequences of accessing grace through faith.

The first consequence of their faith given here is they "subdued kingdoms." As with Joshua, David was exceptionally effective in defeating enemy nations. "David attacked the Philistines, subdued them . . . Then he defeated Moab . . . And David defeated Hadadezer king of Zobah as far as Hamath, as he went to establish his power by the River Euphrates . . . Then David put garrisons in Syria of Damascus . . . He also put garrisons in Edom" (1Ch_18:1-3, 1Ch_18:6, 1Ch_18:13).

The next consequence of their faith is they "worked righteousness." These terms speak of walking in righteousness before the Lord and calling others to the righteous ways of the Lord. Samuel had a reputation of walking in righteousness before his God. "There is in this city a man of God, and he is an honorable man . . . Then Saul drew near to Samuel in the gate" (1Sa_9:6, 1Sa_9:18). The prophets persistently called the people to forsake their ungodly ways and to turn to the Lord's righteous ways. Isaiah preached powerful warnings concerning unrighteousness. "Alas, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a brood of evildoers, children who are corrupters! They have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked to anger the Holy One of Israel, they have turned away backward" (Isa_1:4). He also held forth the Lord as man's only hope of righteousness. "Seek the LORD while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon" (Isa_55:6-7).

The kingdoms we are to subdue today are the kingdoms of self and flesh, as well as the kingdom of this world (with its millions of bound and lost, who are perishing in darkness). The righteousness we need and that we proclaim is the righteousness of Christ, who lives in us! The means is ever the same — by faith.

Lord God of power and righteousness, teach me to rely upon Your power, that the kingdoms of self and flesh might be subdued in my life day by day. Lord, I want to abide in You, so Your righteousness might shine through me in my daily situations. Enable me to cry out against the ungodliness of these days, while at the same time, pointing people to You for the forgiveness and righteousness they need to find, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 14, 2006, 01:46:52 AM »

November 11

Another Consequence of Accessing Grace through Faith

Who through faith . . . obtained promises.  (Heb_11:33)

In our present section of scripture, we have begun to consider a summarized testimony of God's servants who experienced various consequences of accessing grace through faith. Two of these results were they "subdued kingdoms" and "worked righteousness." These are wonderful realities, but these accounts show that relying upon the Lord can produce more consequences than these.

Another rich blessing that came from trusting in God was they "obtained promises." Jeremiah, a mighty prophet of God, certainly experienced the benefit of fulfilled promises from the Lord. He was given a challenging calling to tear down entrenched ungodliness that a fresh work of God might begin. "Behold, I have put My words in your mouth. See, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out and to pull down, to destroy and to throw down, to build and to plant" (Jer_1:9-10). The religious establishment would come strongly against him, but God promised to sustain and protect him. " 'They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you. For I am with you,' says the LORD, 'to deliver you' " (Jer_1:19). The promised opposition surely came. "Therefore the princes said to the king, 'Please, let this man be put to death' . . . So they took Jeremiah and cast him into the dungeon . . . which was in the court of the prison" (Jer_38:4, Jer_38:6). More importantly, the promised rescue came as well. "So they pulled Jeremiah up with ropes and lifted him out of the dungeon. And Jeremiah remained in the court of the prison . . . then they sent someone to take Jeremiah from the court of the prison, and committed him to Gedaliah . . . that he should take him home. So he dwelt among the people" (Jer_38:13; Jer_39:14). Even more importantly, the Lord continued to speak to and through His servant in the midst of it all. "Now the word of the LORD had come to Jeremiah while he was shut up in the court of the prison" (Jer_39:15).

We may not have a prophetic calling exactly like Jeremiah. However, we are all called "to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints" (Jud_1:3). If we faithfully respond, many will oppose us as well. We, too, will need to "obtain promises." We will need to rely upon the fulfillment of God's promised protection. "He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you' . . . So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?' " (Heb_13:5-6).

Lord God of promises, I need to obtain Your promises. I need to entrust myself to Your promised work in my life. So, I look to You again, not only to protect me as I serve You daily, but also to sustain the ministry You have given to me, in Jesus name, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 14, 2006, 01:49:25 AM »

November 12

Even More Consequences of Accessing Grace through Faith

Who through faith . . . stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire.  (Heb_11:33-34)

Through various testimonies of God's servants, we have considered some consequences of accessing grace through faith. By trusting in the Lord, they "subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises" (Heb_11:33). Yet, through these lives we can see even more consequences.

Through faith in God, they "stopped the mouths of lions." This is clearly a reference to Daniel. His enemies conspired to trap him through a new law that would ban prayer to God. "Whoever petitions any god or man for thirty days, except you, O king, shall be cast into the den of lions" (Dan_6:7). Such a godless decree could never stop Daniel from his daily practice of prayer. "Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days" (Dan_6:10). The reluctant king (who respected Daniel greatly) had to apply the irreversible law. "So the king gave the command, and they brought Daniel and cast him into the den of lions" (Dan_6:16). The next day, Daniel was found alive, rescued by the God in whom he had trusted. "So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no injury whatever was found on him, because he believed in his God" (Dan_6:23).

These testimonies also include that they "quenched the violence of fire." This would clearly refer to three contemporaries of Daniel: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego. They were given courage through faith to refuse worship before the king's idol, even though a fiery furnace awaited them. After God preserved them intact, the king extolled the Lord with understanding. "Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, who . . . delivered His servants who trusted in Him" (Dan_3:28).

By faith, we, too, can stop the mouth of the lion that threatens us. "Your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith" (1Pe_5:8-9). Also, by faith in the promises of God, we can quench the violence of fiery trials that come against us. "When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the LORD your God" (Isa_43:2-3).

Dear Lord, what a comfort to know that lions and fires are no threat to You. Lord, grant me the courage to do what is pleasing in Your sight, no matter who comes against me. When the roaring adversary attacks, may I trust in You. When fiery circumstances blaze, may I turn to You, for Your glory, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2006, 01:51:30 AM »

November 13

Still More Consequences of Accessing Grace through Faith

Who through faith . . . escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle.  (Heb_11:34)

We have seen that by trusting in the Lord, His people "subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire" (Heb_11:33-34). Other testimonies indicate that there are still more consequences of accessing grace through faith.

By faith, some of God's servants "escaped the edge of the sword." The prophet Elisha experienced this. The king of Syria sent his army to encompass the city. "There was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, 'Alas, my master! What shall we do?' " (2Ki_6:15). Elisha saw the true situation by the eye of faith, so he prayed. " 'LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.' Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha" (2Ki_6:17). Then, the Lord struck the enemy forces with blindness and delivered His people.

Others of God's people "out of weakness were made strong." King Jehoshaphat showed what this meant. "The people of Moab with the people of Ammon, and others . . . came to battle against Jehoshaphat" (2Ch_20:1). In weakness, the king cried out to the Lord. "We have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us . . . but our eyes are upon You" (2Ch_20:12). The Lord assured them of His victory. "The battle is not yours, but God's . . . You will not need to fight in this battle . . . stand still and see the salvation of the LORD, who is with you" (2Ch_20:15, 2Ch_20:17). Strengthened by faith and filled with expectation, they marched out to watch the enemy armies destroy one another.

Others "became valiant in battle." Samson exemplified this. "The Philistines came shouting against him. Then the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him . . . and his bonds broke loose from his hands. He found a fresh jawbone of a donkey . . . and killed a thousand men with it" (Jdg_15:14-15).

We may face many imminent threats, but we can trust the Lord to provide His escape. "The Lord will deliver me from every evil work" (2Ti_4:18). The Lord can also provide His strength, even when we are weak. "For My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2Co_12:9). Our God can also make us valiant in battle. "Take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day" (Eph_6:13).

O Lord, You are my deliverer, my strength, and my source of courage. Teach me to look to You when I am in danger, when I am weak, and when the battles rage.  I long to walk by faith in the blessed consequences of Your abounding grace, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 14, 2006, 01:53:50 AM »

November 14

One More Consequence of Accessing Grace through Faith

Who through faith . . . turned to flight the armies of the aliens.  (Heb_11:34)

In this summarized series of testimonies, the Lord's servants "subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle." (Heb_11:33-34). Our next category shows one more consequence of accessing grace through faith.

By trusting in the Lord, some of His people "turned to flight the armies of the aliens." Jonathan (son of King Saul) provides an excellent picture of this. "Then Jonathan said to the young man who bore his armor, 'Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised; it may be that the LORD will work for us. For nothing restrains the LORD from saving by many or by few' " (1Sa_14:6). Although these two men were greatly outnumbered by the enemy forces, Jonathan knew that God was not restricted by numbers in bringing victory to his people. God confirmed Jonathan's plan by the anticipated response of the enemy soldiers, so the two men launched an attack on the fortress. "And Jonathan climbed up on his hands and knees with his armorbearer after him; and they fell before Jonathan. And as he came after him, his armorbearer killed them" (1Sa_14:13).

The reaction of the alien army was as though a mighty horde had swept over them. "And there was trembling in the camp, in the field, and among all the people. The garrison and the raiders also trembled; and the earth quaked, so that it was a very great trembling. Now the watchmen of Saul in Gibeah of Benjamin looked, and there was the multitude, melting away; and they went here and there" (1Sa_14:15-16). Other Israelites, who had been fearful, were encouraged to join in the battle. "Likewise all the men of Israel who had hidden in the mountains of Ephraim, when they heard that the Philistines fled, they also followed hard after them in the battle" (1Sa_14:22). So, two men were sufficient to cause a mighty army to flee, even if God needed to add an earthquake to ensure effectiveness!

By trusting in the Lord, we can also cause the enemy and his demonic forces to flee. "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might . . . For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places . . . Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (Eph_6:10, Eph_6:12 and Jam_4:7).

Lord God almighty, where do you want me to go forth in faith, anticipating that You will cause the enemy to flee? Lord, guard me from presumption. I submit to You. Make me an encouragement to fearful saints who are in hiding and need to be serving, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2006, 08:14:47 PM »

November 15

Contrasting Consequences of Accessing Grace through Faith

Women received their dead raised to life again. And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.  (Heb_11:35)

This verse serves as a transition from blessings that were enjoyed through trusting in the Lord to difficulties that were endured by depending upon the Lord. Herein, we see contrasting consequence of accessing grace through faith. The blessings we may somewhat expect. The difficulties may seem to us "unusual."

Even the blessing of resurrected loved ones is not surprising to be found in the history of God's people, since we serve a God of resurrection power. Elijah understood this. Consequently, he did not balk when he knew that the Lord wanted him to be an instrument of resurrection. This miracle of God's grace would occur in the home of a widow who was supplying food for the prophet. "The son of the woman who owned the house became sick. And his sickness was so serious that there was no breath left in him" (1Ki_17:17). This faithful widow was distressed and perplexed. "So she said to Elijah, 'What have I to do with you, O man of God? Have you come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to kill my son?' " (1Ki_17:18). In most situations, prayer would have been appropriately offered for the strength and comfort of the remaining family. However, Elijah was led to cry out to the Lord for the boy. "O LORD my God, I pray, let this child's soul come back to him" (1Ki_17:21). The Lord confirmed that this was His will by raising the deceased son. "Then the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came back to him, and he revived" (1Ki_17:22).

This miraculous blessing was brought forth by faith in God. Yet, faith in the Lord does not always result in such temporal blessings, as the contrasting conclusion to our verse documents. "And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection." Living by faith is the general context of this chapter ("By faith . . . By faith . . . By faith" — Heb_11:3-5). It is also the immediate context of our verse ("who through faith" — Heb_11:33). These "others [who] were tortured" were also living by faith. Their faith in God would work for them an eternal blessing, to be enjoyed at the final resurrection of the righteous.

We can embrace this same outlook. "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Rom_8:18). Meanwhile, we can be learning to live by resurrection power: "that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection" (Phi_3:10).

Lord God of resurrection, I cry out to You for the reviving of the dead or dying areas of my own life or circumstances. I also look to You for the sustaining strength I need in times of suffering. Teach me to live daily by the power of Your resurrection, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2006, 08:16:35 PM »

November 16

"Unusual" Consequences of Accessing Grace through Faith

Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented.  (Heb_11:36-37)

Very often, when people are trusting in the Lord to work by His grace, they are anticipating many of the delightful workings of God that are in the testimonies we have been considering. These saints "subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens" (Heb_11:33-34). Yet, others experienced what might be called "unusual" consequences of accessing grace through faith. They had to trust in the Lord when the aforementioned blessings did not occur. They had to trust God to sustain them in and through great difficulties of life.

Some had to endure by faith "trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment." Jeremiah exemplifies these. "O LORD . . . I am in derision daily; everyone mocks me . . . Therefore the princes were angry with Jeremiah, and they struck him and put him in prison" (Jer_20:7; Jer_37:15). Some "were stoned." Zechariah was killed in this fashion for giving warnings from the Lord. "So they conspired against him, and . . . stoned him with stones" (2Ch_24:21). Some "were sawn in two." Tradition tells us that Isaiah died in this vicious manner. Some "were tempted." In the midst of their sufferings, they were further pained by enticements to ungodly responses. Job endured this from the bad counsel of his own wife. "Do you still hold to your integrity? Curse God and die!" (Job 2:9). Some "were slain with the sword." King Saul had godly priests, who were loyal to David, executed this way. " 'Kill the priests!' So Doeg the Edomite . . . killed on that day eighty-five men' " (1Sa_22:18). Others "wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented." By faith, these saints had to endure homelessness, poverty, distress, and harassment.

These servants of the Lord (who are all examples of living by faith!) are a reminder to us that our trials, sufferings, and anguishing impossibilities do not necessarily mean we are failing to trust God. Often, these challenges mean that we are being given an opportunity to humbly, dependently, draw upon the grace of God in ways that we need to experience or others need to observe.

Lord God of the "unusual" blessing, please give me the wisdom to discern and the grace to endure when Your answer to my prayer is to be a mocking, a verbal stoning, an affliction, or a season of lack, in Jesus name , Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2006, 09:55:46 PM »

November 17

Reflecting on the Extensive Consequences of Walking by Faith

By faith Noah . . . By faith Abraham . . . By faith Sarah . . . By faith Moses . . . By faith the harlot Rahab . . . David and Samuel and the prophets: who through faith . . . And others . . . Still others . . . all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith.  (Heb_11:7-8, Heb_11:11, Heb_11:24, Heb_11:31-33, Heb_11:35-36, Heb_11:39)

God wants us to live by His grace. "Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2Pe_3:18). Therefore, we must walk by faith, since faith accesses grace. "Through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand" (Rom_5:2). In a series of meditations, we have been considering the extensive consequences of walking by faith (and thereby drawing upon the effective grace of God). A time of reflecting upon the broad and diverse dimensions of these consequences can bring much encouragement and edification.

"By faith Noah" undertook an amazing task (building an ark) to prepare for an event never before experienced (a worldwide flood). "By faith Abraham" obediently left his familiar homeland for an uncertain destination. He also counted on God to do all the great things He had promised (including, God blessing all nations through him). "By faith Sarah," in her old age, miraculously bore the necessary son for the fulfillment of God's plan. Later, by faith, Abraham laid the promised son upon the altar of God. All along the way, he lived as a pilgrim headed for an eternal, heavenly home.

"By faith Moses" forsook the privileges and pleasures of the world to be used of God to lead His people out of bondage. "By faith the harlot Rahab" helped the Israelites, identified with the true and living God, and was rescued from judgment. "David and Samuel and the prophets [and others like them] through faith" conquered nations, grew in godliness, experienced God's fulfilled promises, survived the den of lions, withstood the fiery furnace, were spared death by the sword, experienced God's strength in weakness, found courage on the battlefield, caused enemy armies to flee, and received resurrected loved ones.

"And others" (also by faith) endured tortures. "Still others" experienced mockings, beatings, bonds, prisons, stonings, severings, painful enticements, deprivations, impoverishments, general tribulations, and cruel torments. "All these . . . obtained a good testimony through faith."

Through these testimonies, God is showing us the limitless extent that His grace can work in our lives. Through these examples the Lord is encouraging us to trust Him to work comprehensively for us, as He has faithfully done for others.

Lord God of all grace, my heart is stirred as I consider the great extent to which Your grace can work in lives that humbly trust in You. Father, I ask You to make of my life a growing testimony of Your abounding grace, through Jesus Christ, my Lord, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2006, 09:57:54 PM »

November 18

God Fulfilling the Work of Faith with Power

Therefore we also pray always for you that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of His goodness and the work of faith with power, that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.  (2Th_1:11-12)

These verses provide another opportunity to reflect upon the central point in our last sequence of devotions (from Hebrews). Therein, we examined the extensive consequences of walking by faith (and thereby drawing upon the effective grace of God). The good things that appeared in these lives was the result of God fulfilling the work of faith with power.

The opening words remind us of the appropriateness of intercessory prayer for one another. "Therefore we also pray always for you." The following terms remind us of what to pray about: "that our God would count you worthy of this calling." God counts us worthy to be His children and His servants on the basis of faith, not performance: "not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith" (Phi_3:9). The following words from our present text also indicate that true faith in the Lord results in proper performance: "and fulfill all the good pleasure of His goodness and the work of faith with power." God wants to fully develop in our lives the good things that His own goodness causes Him to desire for us. Of course, He desires godliness for us. He accomplishes this by "the work of faith with power."

When we trust in the Lord, the glorious works of God are manifested in and through our lives "with power." The power involved in this process is His power. "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us . . . To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily" (Eph_3:20 and Col_1:29). This is the process that is vividly portrayed in the lives we have looked at in Hebrews. They trusted in God: "By faith Noah . . . By faith Abraham . . . By faith Sarah" (Heb_11:7-8, Heb_11:11). The God upon whom they relied worked mightily in them, by means of His great grace: "according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ." Our God wants to fulfill the work of faith with power in our lives — "according to the grace of our God." This is what brings glory to the Lord on earth, while reminding us that we will enter into His glory some day in heaven: "that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and you in Him."

Lord God of great power, please fulfill in me the work of faith with power. As I look to You for the grace that is needed for godly living, glorify Your name through my life. I eagerly await dwelling forever with You in the glories of heaven above, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2006, 03:15:04 PM »

November 19

The "Much More" Grace of God

For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.  (Rom_5:17)

The grace of God is here connected with the phrase "much more." What a grand description of His grace — the "much more" grace of God! God's grace is "much more" than forgiveness. It is "much more" than new birth. It is "much more" than we have yet understood. It is "much more" than we have ever yet experienced. Here, we see it is "much more" than sufficient to deal with the devastating effects of sin in the lives of the children of Adam.

Due to sin, mankind begins their existence separated from the Lord. They are "dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph_2:1). Additionally, each person's individual experience can be decimated by the effects of sin. Selfishness, dishonesty, brutality, fear, disloyalty, deception, and the like can leave individuals in miserable bondage and paralyzing defeat. These devastations come from being under the rule of death: "For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one." When Adam fell into sin and rebellion, the enemy of men's souls gained access to Adam and his seed. This cruel dictator rules over everyone who is related to Adam through natural birth (and not yet related to Jesus by new birth). Elsewhere, Jesus described the sole intention of our enemy's interest in us. "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy" (Joh_10:10).

The remedy of God for escaping the reign of death is two-fold: "those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ." First, the "gift of righteousness" provides an acceptable standing in heaven before a holy, righteous God. "But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed . . . even the righteousness of God which is through faith in Jesus Christ to all and on all who believe" (Rom_3:21-22). Second, "abundance of grace" provides the ongoing spiritual resources that are necessary for the development of a godly, victorious walk for the glory of God in the midst of humanity here on earth. Both of these wondrous provisions ("abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness") are ours because of the relationship we have by faith with Jesus Christ: "through the One, Jesus Christ."

Heavenly Father, I realize that Your grace is much more than I have yet understood or experienced. I also see that it is much more than sufficient to reverse the effects of sin that may have impacted my life. So, I humbly reach out to You to receive from Your abundance of grace, that I might walk more victoriously, through Christ, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2006, 01:15:57 AM »

November 20

Reigning in Life by the "Much More" Grace of God

For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.  (Rom_5:17)

Man's problems are a result of his initial relationship with Adam. God's remedies are found in a new relationship with Jesus Christ. As we have seen, all of humanity begins life ruled by a tyrant dictator called death, due to their link with Adam. "By the one man's offense death reigned through the one." However, when people become related to Jesus Christ through faith, they can increasingly learn to reign in life by the "much more" grace of God.

Notice again that God's remedy for those under the reign of death is two-fold: "those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life." Every Christian has received, and has been standing in, the gift of righteousness since the day they were justified by faith in the Lord. This is the only way that anyone can be accepted by a holy, righteous God. Yet, having this wonderful gift of imputed righteousness credited to our account in heaven does not automatically bring daily spiritual victory into the life of God's justified saints. Many Christians, although possessing this gift of the righteousness, do not walk in daily victory. The reason for this lack of spiritual victory is related to the other aspect of God's two-fold provision, "abundance of grace."

Many Christians do not characteristically live by receiving God's grace. Many attempt to live victoriously by merely doing the best that they can by their own human resources. They hope to achieve victory step by step. This will always prove inadequate, because victory must be received from the Lord. "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1Co_15:57). "Give and receive" is the language of grace (which depends upon the work of God). "Earn and achieve" is the language of law (which depends upon the work of man).

Jesus came to man's rescue filled to overflowing with God's grace. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us . . . full of grace and truth" (Joh_1:14). Now, for those forgiven by grace, there is a victorious life to be lived by humble dependence upon the "abundance of God's grace" available to us through our new relationship with the Lord. "Much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ."

Father God, I see that Your grace is the resource for living as a Christlike overcomer, reigning in life. Lord, I humble myself before You, admitting my need for Your grace. I reach out to You in faith, praising You that there is abundance of grace available for such victorious living!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2006, 01:17:53 AM »

November 21

Sin Abounding, Grace Abounding "Much More"

Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.  (Rom_5:20-21)

Sin can overflow lives until there seems to be no hope. Yet, the scriptures boldly declare that the grace of God is greater than the most terrible, aggravated sin of man. Yes, even when sin is abounding, grace can eventually abound "much more."

The Lord uses His law to teach us of sin and of our need for His grace. "Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound." The law provokes the rebellious hearts of man, revealing the desires of sin within them. "For when we were in the flesh, the passions of sins which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death . . . I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, 'You shall not covet' " (Rom_7:5, Rom_7:7). Also, the law of God convinces us of the awful nature of sin: "that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful" (Rom_7:13). Part of the awful impact of sin is the death it produces in lives: "sin reigned in death." Sin brings spiritual death.

"The wages of sin is death" (Rom_6:23). Where sin is left unattended it rules lives by bringing more and more evidences of this spiritual deadness: such as; hatred, selfishness, cruelty, emptiness, despair, and the like. It is as though great waves of sin roll over lives, inundating them in bondage and hopelessness. Nevertheless, there is always hope in the grace of God. "But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more." No matter how high the waves of sin have flooded in, the waves of God's grace can roll in higher, if we humbly seek after Him.

The grace of God is not only able to forgive sin and cleanse it away, it can also set up a new rule of godliness in forgiven lives. "As sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness." Sin once ruled our lives, bringing spiritual deadness, which increased with each day. Now, if grace is allowed to work in our lives, practical righteousness grows day by day: such as; love, selflessness, kindness, fullness, hope, and the like. All of this is the qualitative aspect of the everlasting life that comes by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ: "even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Dear Lord, what a great encouragement these words bring to my heart. The waves of past sin in my life, and the lives of others I minister to, can be dealt with by greater waves of Your life-giving grace. Lord, please flood my life with tidal waves of grace, producing righteousness in my life. Also, help me to point others in this direction of abundant hope, through Jesus Christ, Amen.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the