Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Strength For The Journey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strength For The Journey  (Read 90575 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »

Author: Theodore Epp
Source: Strength for the Journey
Scripture Reference Genesis 41:25-36 Luke 9:23-24 Philippians 3:7

Advice Without Self-Interest

Genesis 41:25-36

After Pharaoh told his dreams to Joseph, God revealed through Joseph that the dreams had to do with seven years of plenty, followed by seven years of great famine.

Joseph then advised Pharaoh that every precaution should be taken during the seven years of plenty so there would be food available during the seven years of famine.

In all of this, Joseph did not say a word about himself nor speak in behalf of his own need. He had died to self; the previous 13 years had completely erased any desires for self. He had seen God working, and that was his supreme desire.

We who know Jesus Christ as Saviour have also died to self. Note, it is not that we should die to self but that we have died to self.

God's Word makes this truth very clear. Romans 6:6 says, "Knowing this, that our old man is [was] crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed [rendered inoperative], that henceforth we should not serve sin."

Our crucifixion took place when Christ died on the cross for us. It is not that we ought to die but that we have died. Our need now is to apply this truth, by faith, to ourselves.

The Lord Jesus Christ said, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it" (Luke 9:23,24).

"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ" (Phil. 3:7).

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 41:37-45 Matthew 6:33 1 Timothy 6:17

The Test of Position and Prosperity

Genesis 41:37-45

Joseph now came to the greatest test of his life thus far--exaltation and prosperity.

The hands that had known the hard toil of a slave were now adorned by the king's ring. Joseph's feet had been freed from the torment of the fetters, and now a gold chain was put around his neck.

Joseph had lost his coat of many colors 13 years earlier when his brothers took it from him in anger and jealousy. Later, he had left his outer garment behind in the hands of Potiphar's wife when he had fled from her. But now he was given a royal wardrobe of fine linen.

Once Joseph was treated as offscouring by the Egyptians, but now all Egypt was commanded to bow before him as he rode on the second chariot as the prime minister of Egypt.

All of this took place because Joseph sought to please God and resisted the temptation to sin. Rather than gratifying the flesh, Joseph sought to glorify God.

Joseph found that godliness paid great dividends. He experienced the truth of the principle later stated in Matthew 6:33: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy" (1 Tim. 6:17).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Peter 5:10 Romans 8:28-29 Genesis 41:46-57

Forgetting Past Trials

Genesis 41:46-57

As time passed, "unto Joseph were born two sons before the years of famine came, which Asenath the daughter of Poti-pherah priest of On bare unto him. And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh [forgetting]: For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house" (Gen. 41:50,51).

This does not mean that God had caused Joseph to forget about his family, but He caused him to forget about the trials of the past as related to his family.

This is exactly what happens when a person walks with the Lord. The blessings are so many he forgets about the trials.

Joseph named his second son "Ephraim," which means "fruitful." Joseph said, "For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction" (v. 52). Joseph had forgotten the trials and now saw only the fruit that God had brought about in his life.

So it will be with us when we really grasp the significance of the truths stated in Romans 8:28,29.

As we are conformed more and more to the image of Jesus Christ, we will be so thrilled with what God has accomplished in our lives that we will tend to forget the tests and sufferings that were used to cause us to be conformed to God's Son.

"But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you" (1 Pet. 5:10).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 42:1-17 1 Peter 3:8-9

Brothers Meet Again

Genesis 42:1-17

Joseph accused his brothers of being spies. Think of the contrast! More than 20 years ago they had accused Joseph of spying on them and telling their father on them; now he was accusing them of being spies.

When they accused Joseph, they cast him into a pit. Now that he accused them, "he put them all together into ward three days" (Gen. 42:17). Joseph's actions paralleled their actions many years before, but be did not do it for revenge.

Memory is one of the most marvelous faculties of our nature. Often when a person receives the kind of evil treatment that he has dealt to others, he remembers his sin and is convicted.

A step God used in awakening the consciences of Joseph's brothers was having them imprisoned. There God could bring even stronger conviction. Their guilt was beginning to strike home.

Joseph's heart was bursting with the desire to disclose himself to his brothers, but he realized he dare not do this and spoil God's program. Joseph looked on his brothers with compassion and saw them as ones needing to be made right with God.

When you see those who are without Jesus Christ, is your heart moved with compassion? When you are in a crowd of people and realize that maybe 98 percent of them are not born again, how does it affect you? Does it mean anything to you, or are they just people?

"Be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: not rendering evil for evil. . ., but contrariwise blessing" (1 Pet. 3:8,9).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2006, 01:24:30 PM »

Scripture Reference Ephesians 4:32 Genesis 42:18-28

No Grudges Held

Genesis 42:18-28

All of this was too much for Joseph, and "he turned himself about from them, and wept" (Gen. 42:24). His heart was still tender toward them in spite of what they had done to him.

Controlling himself, he "returned to them again, and communed with them, and took from them Simeon, and bound him before their eyes" (v. 24).

It is possible that Simeon had been the leader in what the brothers had done to Joseph earlier, but now all the brothers were beginning to show true repentance.

Verse 21 shows three aspects of this repentance: conscience--"we are verily guilty"; memory--"we saw the anguish of his soul"; and reason--"therefore is this distress come upon us." The brothers were being brought to an end of themselves.

Joseph responded in two ways, although his brothers noticed only one of his responses. First, he wept with a broken heart because of his love for his brothers--especially Benjamin--and for his father. Second, he bound Simeon in their presence.

The brothers saw only the hardness that Joseph expressed; they did not know how tender his heart was underneath it all.

As Joseph's tenderness of heart indicated when he stood before his brothers, he had forgiven them long ago--even though they did not realize it. Have you forgiven those who have wronged you?

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you" (Eph. 4:32).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2006, 01:25:56 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 42:29-38 Psalm 31:24

Judging by the Circumstances

Genesis 42:29-38

When the brothers returned to Canaan, they rehearsed to their father all that had taken place in Egypt.

Realizing the trouble they were in, Jacob said to his sons, "Me have ye bereaved of my children: Joseph is not, and Simeon is not, and ye will take Benjamin away: all these things are against me" (Gen. 42:36).

Jacob later realized that all these things were really for him in God's sovereign plan. All he could see was the immediate circumstances and, as far as he was concerned, there was no hope whatever.

The son passed the tests better than the father. Joseph responded to hopeless situations better than Jacob. Faith had conquered for Joseph, but Jacob was slow to see that God could bring good out of these circumstances.

Reuben tried to assure his father that Benjamin would be safe when they took him to Egypt. Reuben said, "Slay my two sons, if I bring him not to thee: deliver him into my hand, and I will bring him to thee again" (v. 37). But it was impossible for Jacob to see any possibility of allowing Benjamin to go to Egypt.

Jacob did not think he could stand any more grief, but his sons knew it was hopeless to return to Egypt without their youngest brother.

"Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord" (Ps. 31:24).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2006, 01:27:11 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 43:1-18 Genesis 43:15 Acts 24:16

Guilt Produces Fear

Genesis 43:1-18

Jacob reluctantly let his sons take Benjamin to Egypt, and he gave them instructions as to what they should take along so they might be well received.

The sons did as Jacob instructed. They "took that present, and they took double money in their hand, and Benjamin; and rose up, and went down to Egypt, and stood before Joseph" (Gen. 43:15).

When Joseph saw his brothers--and Benjamin with them--he commanded the ruler of his house, "Bring these men home, and slay, and make ready; for these men shall dine with me at noon" (v. 16).

Then conscience did its work again. The brothers had such guilt concerning Joseph that anything caused them to greatly fear--especially in the strange land of Egypt.

The ruler of Joseph's house "did as Joseph bade; and the man brought the men into Joseph's house. And the men were afraid, because they were brought into Joseph's house; and they said, Because of the money that was returned in our sacks at the first time are we brought in; that he may seek occasion against us, and fall upon us, and take us for bondmen, and our asses" (vv. 17,18).

The brothers had been so brave before when they sold Joseph into slavery, but now even hospitality brought fear to them. When a person is guilty of sin, almost everything brings fear to him.

"And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men" (Acts 24:16).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 43:19-34 1 Corinthians 12:26

A Brother Is Honored

Genesis 43:19-34

Joseph was unable to restrain himself, and he "made haste; for his bowels [heart] did yearn upon his brother: and he sought where to weep; and he entered into his chamber, and wept there" (Gen. 43:30). What a moving account of the love of Joseph for Benjamin!

Finally gaining control of himself, Joseph "washed his face, and went out, and refrained [controlled] himself, and said, Set on bread" (v. 31).

Joseph still did not identify himself to his brothers. God's program was not yet completed. Joseph was well trained to wait for God's time, regardless of how difficult it was because of his own emotions.

It is highly significant to observe the way they were seated at the meal. Most likely, the reason they marveled was that they were astonished that this Egyptian ruler knew their ages and was able to seat them in the right order. This especially would bring fear to the brothers, for they would wonder what else he knew about them.

The brothers were tested at the meal regarding their attitude toward their younger brother. They had been envious of Joseph because of their father's special love for him. They might well have felt the same way toward Benjamin.

How do you respond when someone receives more honor than you?

"And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it" (1 Cor. 12:26).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2006, 03:56:13 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 44:1-16 Psalm 51:2-3

No Excuses; Mercy Sought

Genesis 44:1-16

Perhaps you say this was cruel. Maybe it seems cruel, but sometimes God has to do severe things to get people to see their sinfulness.

Joseph's brothers were being severely tested to see what their reaction would be toward Benjamin when it was discovered that the silver cup was in his sack. Would they sacrifice him for their own safety as they once had done to Joseph?

When they were brought in before Joseph, he said to them, "What deed is this that ye have done? wot [know] ye not that such a man as I can certainly divine?" (Gen. 44:15).

Earlier, the brothers had said, "We shall see what will become of his dreams" (37:20). Now they were completely at the mercy of Joseph because his dreams had been fulfilled, even though they did not realize it was Joseph before whom they stood.

In defense, Judah said, "What shall we say unto my lord? what shall we speak? or how shall we clear ourselves? God hath found out the iniquity of thy servants: behold, we are my lord's servants, both we, and he also with whom the cup is found" (44:16).

The brothers had nowhere to turn; they could only cast themselves upon Joseph's mercy.

When we who know Christ experience difficulties, we should cast ourselves on His mercy.

"Wash me throughly [thoroughly] from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me" (Ps. 51:2,3).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2006, 09:02:33 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 44:17-34 Matthew 6:15 Proverbs 4:23

A Right Heart Attitude

Genesis 44:17-34

Through Joseph the Lord's objective had now been reached. God had wanted to give perfect rest and peace to the brothers, but this was impossible as long as there was unconfessed sin in their lives.

God used the avenues of conscience and fear to bring about this repentance. The brothers were being tested to see if they could forgive Benjamin, who had brought them all of this trouble.

If they had treated him in the spirit of the former days, as they had treated Joseph, they would have abandoned Benjamin to his fate. Had they done this, they could not have been forgiven.

But Judah expressed their change of heart when he said he would rather stay in Egypt as a slave than go back and see his father die of a broken heart because of the loss of Benjamin.

The brothers had a forgiving spirit toward Benjamin. This is extremely important, for the Lord Jesus Christ said, "If ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your father forgive your trespasses" (Matt. 6:15).

The four conditions of reconciliation had been met: Conscience had been awakened, sin had been confessed, repentance had been made, and a new life had been evidenced.

Joseph's brothers now had the right heart attitude. Because God's work had been accomplished in the lives of the brothers, Joseph was now free to reveal his identity. Might we also be sensitive to sin.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life" (Prov. 4:23).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2006, 09:03:55 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 45:1-15 Galatians 2:20 2 Corinthians 4:17

Not You . . . But God

Genesis 45:1-15

"Joseph said unto his brethren, I am Joseph" (Gen. 45:3). Previously he had spoken to them through an interpreter, but now in their own language he said, "I am Joseph."

When Joseph disclosed his identity, "his brethren could not answer him; for they were troubled at his presence" (v. 3).

They had reason to be troubled and terrified. Joseph was standing before them as one who had risen from the dead. They could not think of what to say, because any act of self-defense would surely only bring them into deeper trouble.

Joseph recognized their hesitation and said to them, "'Come near to me, I pray you.' And they came near. And he said, 'I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life'" (vv. 4,5).

Joseph told his brothers that the One responsible for his coming to Egypt was "not you . . . but God" (v. 8). This is a truth we desperately need to see--that God moves behind the scenes to accomplish His purpose in our lives.

For the Christian, things are not explained on a human basis--it is "not I, but Christ" (Gal. 2:20). It is only as we allow God to test, try and train us that He can accomplish His overall program and use us as He desires.

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor. 4:17).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2006, 01:01:53 AM »

Scripture Reference Galatians 6:9 John 20:29 Philippians 1:6 Genesis 42:36 Genesis 45:16-28

A Father Hears Good News

Genesis 45:16-28

When the brothers reached home, they told their father, "Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt" (Gen. 45:26).

Jacob was so surprised by the news that it was impossible for him to believe it. The Scriptures say, "And Jacob's heart fainted, for he believed them not" (v. 26).

Earlier, when it was demanded that Benjamin go to Egypt with the brothers so they would be able to see Joseph, Jacob had said, "All these things are against me" (42:36).

He did not realize that just the opposite was true--all those things were really working together for good. God had patiently worked to accomplish His will.

When God undertakes a program, He continues with it until it is finished. The Apostle Paul wrote: "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:6).

When Jacob saw the wagons, he believed. Some say, "Seeing is believing." However, the Bible says quite the opposite is true. Jesus told Thomas, "Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed" (John 20:29).

Believers are to walk by faith, not sight; let us take God at His word.

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Gal. 6:9).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03:12 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 46:1-7 Genesis 46:28-34 John 15:12

A Family Reunion

Genesis 46:1-7, 28-34

When Jacob and his family arrived in Goshen, "Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen, and presented himself unto him; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while" (Gen. 46:29).

Again Joseph demonstrated that he was not ashamed to be associated with his family even though shepherds were an abomination to the Egyptians. What a tender scene it must have been when Joseph met his father and embraced him, weeping for joy.

Jacob said to Joseph, "Now let me die, since I have seen thy face, because thou art yet alive" (v. 30).

It was at this time that we see Joseph's wise strategy as he prepared his family for their meeting with Pharaoh. Joseph's plan was to consult with Pharaoh at once. By bringing these matters before Pharaoh, Joseph was preventing the possibility that someone would accuse him of favoritism.

Also, when Pharaoh gave the word, the chiefs of the people would not thwart Joseph's plan. Later, it was in God's plan to have another Pharaoh--who did not know Joseph--afflict the Israelites in order to cause them to want to leave Egypt.

How Joseph must have thanked God to be united with his family again. Let us be sure to praise God for the many good things He brings into our lives.

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you" (John 15:12).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2006, 01:04:24 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Kings 8:56 Psalm 37 Genesis 50:24-25 Genesis 47:27-31 Genesis 47:1-13

God's Purpose Fulfilled

Genesis 47:1-13, 27-31

God had promised Jacob that He would make a great nation of him in Egypt and that they would return to the land. Jacob's faith in God's promises was revealed in that he asked Joseph to bury him back in Canaan.

His request must have had a great impact on Joseph because Joseph later requested the same thing for himself (Gen. 50:24,25).

God had fulfilled His purpose through Joseph. Joseph had been used to preserve the posterity of the Hebrews. They were now safe in the land of Goshen.

Years later, when it was time to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, God used another man--Moses. God has limited Himself to working through people to accomplish His will.

Joseph had experienced the fulfillment of the truths stated in Psalm 37. He had delighted himself in the Lord, and the Lord had given him the desires of his heart (v. 4). He had waited upon the Lord and had inherited the earth (v. 9).

Being meek, he had delighted himself in the abundance of peace (v. 11). Because he was a good man, his steps had been ordered by the Lord, and he had delighted in the Lord's way (v. 23).

He had waited on the Lord and had kept His way; therefore, he had been exalted to inherit the land and had seen the wicked cut off (v. 34). He had been a perfect (mature) man; therefore, his end was peace (v. 37).

We need to apply this psalm to ourselves.

"Blessed be the Lord, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise" (1 Kings 8:56).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2006, 12:32:15 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 48:1-5 Genesis 48:14-22 1 Chronicles 5:1-2 Isaiah 1:19

New Heirs Appointed

Genesis 48:1-5, 14-22

After the famine was over, Joseph lived about 66 more years. Jacob lived only about 10 or 11 more years. Little is said about either of them during these years. However, there was one highly significant thing that occurred before Jacob's death.

Jacob said that his grandsons, Ephraim and Manasseh, would be counted among his own sons, which was significant as far as the inheritance was concerned.

Although Reuben was the firstborn of Leah, he had lost the birthright because of the gross sin of lying with his father's concubine. This birthright was then passed on to Joseph, the firstborn of Rachel.

The birthright, having come to Joseph, was then given to his sons. This was later referred to in 1 Chronicles 5:1,2: "Now the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel, (for he was the firstborn; but, forasmuch as he defiled his father's bed, his birthright was given unto the sons of Joseph the son of Israel: and the genealogy is not to be reckoned after the birthright. For Judah prevailed above his brethren, and of him came the chief ruler; but the birthright was Joseph's)."

Joseph had received the double portion of inheritance, and his two sons were numbered among the 12 tribes of Israel as the recipients. God rewards those who honor Him.

"If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land" (Isa. 1:19).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the