Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:37:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Strength For The Journey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strength For The Journey  (Read 90583 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »

Author: Theodore Epp
Source: Strength for the Journey
Scripture Reference Genesis 30:25-33 Numbers 23:21 1 John 1:9 Proverbs 28:13

God Forgives the One Who Repents

Genesis 30:25-33

When Laban told Jacob to name his wages, this gave Jacob another opportunity to scheme and gain more blessings by deceit. Although Jacob schemed and plotted, God did not let him out of His sight--and even continued to bless him.

How marvelous was God's patience with His unworthy servant! God must have seen much in Jacob because of all the years He spent in disciplining him, leading him, overruling his mistakes and forgiving his sins.

When God was finally through with Jacob and had forgiven all of his sins, it is said of God, "He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: the Lord his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them" (Num. 23:21).

Consider the grace of God that is revealed in this statement: "He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob." The verse does not say that Jacob did not sin, but God had forgiven it all and had blotted it from His mind.

What a marvelous God we have! Take time to examine your heart before God and confess any sin that is in your life. God has promised to forgive our sins when we confess them to Him (1 John 1:9).

Clear the record with God so that there is no unconfessed sin in your life. Because Christ shed His blood to pay the penalty for sin, it is possible for God to blot out your sin.

"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy" (Prov. 28:13).

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 139:23 Genesis 31:1-7

God Knows the Heart

Genesis 31:1-7

After God had made it clear to Jacob that He wanted him to leave Haran for Canaan, Jacob talked with his family.

The Word of God says that "Jacob sent and called Rachel and Leah to the field unto his flock" (Gen. 31:4). He called them to a place where he could talk to them without being overheard. He had a scheme.

Having been cheated by Laban, Jacob learned by experience the kind of person he himself was and how his behavior had affected others. God uses this kind of lesson to teach us also.

Perhaps we have been guilty of speaking against someone and have not realized how it may have hurt them. Then when someone speaks against us, we suddenly realize how deeply such words hurt, and we become sensitive to what we have done.

If you have been mistreated, cheated or deceived, and if your heart has been right all along, be assured that God knows this.

God will eventually vindicate you, but in the meantime you should be confidently aware that God knows the truth concerning what has happened to you. He knows if your heart has been right.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts" (Ps. 139:23).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2006, 04:16:04 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 31:43-49 Genesis 31:52 Romans 12:18

A Covenant of Separation

Genesis 31:43-49

This passage of Scripture is often used as a covenant of fellowship or a benediction. However, the context clearly indicates that it was not a covenant of fellowship but a covenant of separation.

Laban said to Jacob, "This heap be witness, and this pillar be witness, that I will not pass over this heap to thee, and that thou shalt not pass over this heap and this pillar unto me, for harm" (Gen. 31:52).

This was the end result when two powerful schemers clashed with each other. They could not trust each other; so they had to make a covenant and set up a pillar of stones to mark the spot over which neither of them would cross for the purpose of harming the other.

Each was really saying, "I cannot trust you out of my sight. The Lord must watch between us if we and our goods are to be safe from each other." Visiting between the families was not prohibited, but Jacob and Laban agreed never to cross the line for the purpose of harming the other.

How sad it is when there is deep-seated conflict between two individuals. May we live Christlike lives so we will not need to take such measures against our fellowman.

"If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Rom. 12:18).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2006, 06:57:47 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 32:1-8 Job 42:5-6

At the End of Self

Genesis 32:1-8

As Jacob prepared to meet Esau, it was evident that he still had not grasped what it meant to really live by faith in God. Jacob still projected his own plans--he sent messengers to Esau and told them what to say: "Thus shall ye speak unto my lord Esau" (Gen. 32:4).

How interesting that Jacob used the word "lord" in referring to Esau. After 20 years with Laban, Jacob had a different language.

Before he had fled from his home, Jacob had lorded it over Esau and had taken away his birthright and blessing. But he now recognized Esau as lord.

Jacob told his messengers to tell Esau, "I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in thy sight" (v. 5). They reported, "We came to thy brother Esau, and also he cometh to meet thee, and four hundred men with him" (v. 6).

Time had only intensified the hatred. Esau must have strutted with pride when he went to show his great power to Jacob.

He had been beaten by Jacob's cunning, but he would let Jacob know that he now had the power to humble him. Esau's attitude was "I'll show him who's the better of us."

Jacob was in real trouble. What was he going to do? How often God has to bring us up against a wall of calamity before He can truly deal with our souls.

"I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes" (Job 42:5,6).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2006, 07:13:45 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 32:9-12 1 Corinthians 10:31 James 4:3

Praying With Proper Motives

Genesis 32:9-12

Because of Jacob's imperfect faith, he offered a prayer of panic and then resorted to his carnal planning.

In fact, Jacob began to plan even before he prayed. He took time out of his planning to pray, then immediately returned to his own schemes. He didn't seem to really trust God but only asked God to sanctify his plans.

As Jacob prayed, he said, "Deliver me, I pray thee, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: for I fear him, lest he will come and smite me, and the mother with the children" (Gen. 32:11).

What was the motive for Jacob's petition? At first, it might seem selfish, but verse 12 indicates that Jacob was seeking the glory of God.

Jacob was claiming God's promises when he said, "And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude" (v. 12).

We also need to check our motives when we are praying for the salvation of our loved ones. Are we praying for them only because they are loved ones, or are we truly concerned about the glory of God?

Our chief concern should always be the glory of God. Whatever we do, we should "do all to the glory of God" (1 Cor. 10:31).

Jacob still had fear, but it was an unnecessary fear. God had promised to bring him back to the land and to make his descendants as the sand of the sea.

"You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures" (James 4:3, NASB).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2006, 07:15:07 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 32:13-21 Galatians 5:17 Psalm 31:3

God's Plan or Ours?

Genesis 32:13-21

Genesis 32:13 tells how Jacob returned to his scheming immediately after praying: "And he lodged there that same night; and took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother."

Instead of trusting in God alone, Jacob plotted how he could appease Esau by giving of his possessions. Jacob substituted appeasement for deception. This perhaps shows some improvement, but his motives were still fleshly and debased in view of all the promises God had given him.

Because Jacob did not trust the Lord as he should have, he continued to carry the burden himself. Jacob leaned on his own plan more than on God's sure word of promise. This is a vivid illustration of the works of the flesh.

The flesh is always in conflict with the Spirit. Galatians 5:17 says, "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."

When we are in the habit of thinking that we provide for ourselves, it is hard to trust God completely. We feel that somehow we have to help God if our needs are to be met. Instead of fitting into God's plan, we expect Him to bless our plans.

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me" (Ps. 31:3).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 32:22-26 Matthew 6:6

Alone with God

Genesis 32:22-26

Some battles must be fought alone. There are times when no one can help us. This was just such a time in Jacob's life.

Jacob's trouble was himself--his self-will, self-purpose, self-defense, self-desire and self-righteousness. Jacob's self-life had to be dealt with, and God chose to do so while Jacob was alone.

Jacob needed to learn that even though he was weak physically, he could be strong spiritually.

It took more than spiritual wrestling to convince Jacob of his need. God had been dealing with him spiritually for more than 20 years, but Jacob had failed to learn.

God now struggled with Jacob physically because it was something Jacob could comprehend. Jacob's spiritual level of discernment was not mature enough for God to deal with him on a spiritual basis alone.

Sometimes God also has to deal with us on a physical level because this is the only thing that some of us really understand. It may involve the loss of wealth, health or family, but whatever it is, the loss is intended to draw us closer to the Lord.

If we cannot be led spiritually, the Lord will communicate with us in a language we can understand. Let us become so sensitive to the Lord's leading that He will be able to deal with us purely on a spiritual basis.

"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret. and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly" (Matt. 6:6).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2006, 06:09:37 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 32:27-32 Romans 12:1

Is All on the Altar?

Genesis 32:27-32

The first key to God's victory in Jacob's life is that Jacob was left alone with God. The second key is that Jacob had to be brought to the end of himself.

His own strength had to be broken. He had come to the end of his own resources. All confidence in his flesh had to be brought to an end, and this was done when his opponent crippled him. Then he realized his utter weakness.

Jacob could no longer fight his brother, Esau, in his own strength, for his thigh was dislocated. Four hundred men were coming with Esau, and Jacob was completely powerless to do anything.

Previously, he had resisted relying completely on the Lord, but now he had to because of his helplessness. He had to depend on God.

What all must God do to us to bring us to the end of ourselves? What must He do to us individually, organizationally, nationally and internationally to bring us to the end of ourselves? We struggle, strive, fight and resist, but we must realize that surrender to God is the only answer.

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Rom. 12:1).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 01:54:53 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 33:1-11 Philippians 3:13-14 Luke 9:23 Galatians 5:16 1 Corinthians 10:12

Fear Follows Great Experience

Genesis 33:1-11

Jacob had just experienced a wonderful night with God that resulted in his becoming the new man, Israel. But when he saw the danger--Esau and his 400 men--fear gripped his heart.

Great experiences do not guarantee constant faithfulness. Jacob's experience at Peniel was a stepping-stone to greater living, but it did not guarantee faithfulness on his part.

He had made significant progress during his 20 years with Laban, but he was not yet all that God intended him to be.

Even Paul wrote: "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 3:13,14).

Experiences that result from crises are like open doors that make it possible for us to enter a new aspect of our Christian walk. Thus, Jesus said, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Luke 9:23).

We are to daily take our position in Christ and follow Him. Galatians 5:16 assures us that when we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

When we commit ourselves to following Him, the Holy Spirit controls our lives, and God lives His life through us.

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall" (1 Cor. 10:12).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56:29 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 33:12-20 2 Timothy 1:7

Too Timid to Testify

Genesis 33:12-20

When Jacob and Esau met, Esau said, "Let us take our journey, and let us go, and I will go before thee" (Gen. 33:12). Esau offered to protect Jacob and those with him. Esau could easily have done this because 400 men were with him.

God had clearly instructed Jacob that he was to return to his father and to Bethel. Jacob knew this, but he failed to tell Esau he was following God's plan. Instead, Jacob led Esau to believe that he would follow him slowly and meet him in Seir.

This was Jacob's second major step in backsliding after Peniel. Because of weakness and fear he lied to Esau. Jacob was afraid of what Esau might do, so he resorted to deceit. He feared Esau's temper more than God's disfavor.

Consider what Esau must have thought later when Jacob did not come as he had said he would. This supposedly spiritual leader lied to his brother because he did not have the courage to tell him he was following God.

Words that are not supported by actions turn many people away from the Gospel. This is one reason the present-day church has lost rapport with the world.

We are not direct in making our position with God known, and because of half-truths and timidity we are not winning people to the Lord as we should.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Tim. 1:7).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2006, 06:30:52 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 34:1-7 James 1:14-15

A Step at a Time

Genesis 34:1-7

After Shechem had defiled Dinah, "his soul clave unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel, and spake kindly unto the damsel. And Shechem spake unto his father Hamor, saying, Get me this damsel to wife" (Gen. 34:3,4).

Shechem tried to remedy the situation by offering marriage. Observe that Satan, who brought about the fall of man, suggested a remedy of mixed marriage--a believer with an unbeliever.

Verses 8-12 of this chapter tell how Hamor presented the case for further coexistence with Jacob and his people. Hamor said, "Make ye marriages with us, and give your daughters unto us, and take our daughters unto you" (v. 9).

Jacob had not come to this serious situation in one great fall. By a series of steps he had come to this deplorable situation.

First, he compromised. God had told him to go to Bethel, which involved a separation from the world. Second, he obeyed only partially. Jacob had gone only as far as Shechem--there was not total separation.

Third, this situation caused their only daughter to be tempted to investigate the world around her. Fourth, she was defiled by Shechem, the son of Hamor.

Fifth, the Hivites offered to intermarry and coexist with Jacob's family. Sixth, all of this led to further sin within Jacob's own family. Which way are our steps leading us?

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death" (James 1:14,15).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2006, 04:18:21 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 5:20 Lamentations 3:22-23 Genesis 34:27-35:3

In Spite of Sin, Grace

Genesis 34:27-36:3

God allowed Jacob to go to the depths of sin. Worldliness completely overwhelmed him. He could not have gone any lower, and his family could not have gone any lower.

Their reputation among the people around them was destroyed. They were guilty of murder because of their desire to right a wrong against their family.

Even though Jacob had fallen to the depths of sin, God never stopped working with him. God did not leave Jacob alone until he was back in the center of His will.

God commanded him, "Arise, go up to Beth-el, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother" (Gen. 35:1).

Even though Jacob often turned his back on God, God was never unfaithful to Jacob.

It is wonderful to know that the God of Jacob is our God also. How long-suffering and merciful God is to His own!

With Jeremiah, every believer can say, "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness" (Lam. 3:22,23).

"But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound" (Rom. 5:20).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2006, 02:25:06 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 35:4-13 Hebrews 11:17-21 1 John 1:9 1 Chronicles 22:19

Bethel at Last!

Genesis 35:4-12

God protected Jacob, and he arrived safely at his destination. Bethel at last!

The princeliness of Jacob was restored. God called him Israel instead of Jacob. Ten years earlier God had changed Jacob's name to Israel, but Jacob had not appropriated his position.

From this time forward Jacob did not backslide to his old life of scheming and deception. He applied faith and appropriated the provisions of God. As a result, in Hebrews 11 his name is mentioned in the gallery of people of faith, along with Abraham and Isaac (vv. 17-21).

When Jacob returned to Bethel, his communion and prayer life were reestablished. Genesis 35:13 says, "And God went up from him in the place where he talked with him."

After Jacob had made things right in his life, he was able to commune freely with God.

Have you also experienced the spiritual dryness that comes from a lack of communion with God? Are there things in your life that need to be confessed to God?

If so, apply 1 John 1:9, and as you appropriate His forgiveness and cleansing, you will again know the sweetness and blessing that comes from talking and communing with God. How wonderful it is to be on good speaking terms with our God!

"Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your God" (1 Chron. 22:19).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2006, 02:27:25 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 35:16-20 Genesis 31:3 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

A Marriage Partner Dies

Genesis 35:16-20

Rachel named the child "Ben-oni," which means "son of my sorrow." However, Jacob named the child "Benjamin," which means "son of the right hand."

Rachel's death was one of Jacob's deepest sorrows. She died sorrowing, but he triumphed in faith and called the child "son of the right hand."

Jacob took a victorious stand for God in spite of the fact that the most precious person in his life had been taken.

Rachel's death and burial broke Jacob's main link with his past carnal life at Haran. He had gone there to get a wife and had been guilty of many carnal actions.

"And Jacob set a pillar upon her grave: that is the pillar of Rachel's grave unto this day" (Gen. 35:20). Jacob established a pillar in remembrance of the one who had been so very precious to him.

Because Jacob had returned to Bethel and had been fully restored to fellowship with God, he was now able to fulfill the second part of God's command: "Return . . . to thy kindred" (31:3).

Thus, Jacob was on his way to his father, Isaac, who lived in Mamre. That is where Jacob was going when Rachel died in childbirth along the way.

"Blessed be God . . ., who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God" (2 Cor. 1:3,4).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2006, 06:15:20 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 35:27-29 Genesis 27:41 Isaiah 25:8

A Father Dies

Genesis 35:27-29

Finally, Jacob arrived at his father's home in Mamre: "Jacob came unto Isaac his father unto Mamre, unto the city of Arbah, which is Hebron, where Abraham and Isaac sojourned" (Gen. 35:27). Jacob had not seen his father for at least 30 years. What a reunion they must have had!

During the next 13 years Jacob cared for his father. Then we are told, "The days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years. And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, being old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him" (vv. 28,29).

The death of Isaac meant Jacob's separation from the past generation. The responsibility of the family was now entirely his.

He had deceived Esau out of the birthright and had stolen the blessing many years earlier, but now the birthright was his by divine appointment--and so was the responsibility.

In the account of Isaac's death, it is precious to see that Esau and Jacob had apparently been reconciled: "His sons Esau and Jacob buried him" (v. 29). Death is often a great reconciler.

Esau had said years earlier, "The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob" (27:41). But Isaac did not die as soon as was expected, and by the time he did, Esau and Jacob were seemingly reconciled.

May we who are Christians be sure we use the occasion of a death of a loved one as a time of reconciliation with family members rather than a time of division.

"He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces" (Isa. 25:8).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the