Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Prayer, Praise and Promises
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer, Praise and Promises  (Read 93792 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2006, 10:15:16 PM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference Psalm 33:12-19

The Best Citizen

Read Psalm 33:12-19

So often the psalmist says, "Blessed is the man" or "Blessed is the family." But in verse 12 he says, "Blessed is the nation." Does God bless nations? Yes. He blessed the nation of Israel. He endowed the Israelites with some special blessings and gave them special tasks. They failed, however, in some of the things He gave them to do. But eventually God brought His Word and His Son through the people of Israel. Christ was born of the tribe of Judah in the family of David.

Are you the kind of person God can use to be a blessing to your nation? Believers were chosen by God, in Christ, before the foundation of the world. We are His own inheritance. God looks down on us with favor and grace. And the Bible tells us that God wants us to be the right kind of citizens.

God is watching us. "The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men" (v. 13). And He made us. "He fashions their hearts individually; He considers all their works" (v. 15). Here we are, the people of God in a wicked and dark nation. What should we do? Remember, He is watching us. He made us and He's protecting us. "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him" (v. 18). We don't have to be afraid.

Be the best citizen you can be. Do so by obeying the Lord, by letting your light shine for Him, by praying for your nation, by sharing His Word with others and by exercising the privileges you have as a citizen of your nation.

God uses people to bless nations. Christians are to be good citizens, the kind of people He can use to strengthen a nation. Pray for your country and its leaders. Do your part to exercise the freedom you have to share the Word of God and be a witness for Him.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »

Scripture Reference 2 Peter 3:9 Psalm 33:20-22

Can You Wait?

Read Psalm 33:20-22

Waiting is one of the hardest things for me to do. I would rather work than wait. Somehow I always end up in the wrong lane or the wrong line, and I'm forced to wait. My impatience is probably why the Lord reminds me of verse 20: "Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield." Why does God delay in answering prayer? He wants to give us a better blessing. Why does God delay in bringing deliverance or healing? He has something better in store for us. Our times are in His hands.

We must remember that when we wait on the Lord, we are not being idle or careless. Waiting prepares us. God works in us so that He can work for us. He knows what He is doing and has His own schedule. "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some [people] count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish" (II Pet. 3:9).

"Our heart shall rejoice in Him" (v. 21). Waiting ultimately leads to worship. The day will come when you will rejoice in the Lord because you have trusted in His holy name. "Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, just as we hope in You" (v. 22). We have hope and faith in waiting on the Lord. If you find it hard to wait, remember that God's delays are not His denials. He has a greater blessing in store for you. You can be sure that one day the waiting will end, and you will start worshiping and praising Him.

Are you waiting for God to answer a specific prayer? Keep trusting Him to work on your behalf. Your waiting will turn into worship and praise.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2006, 09:24:25 AM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 26:30 Acts 16:25 Psalm 34:1-3

Continual Praise

Read Psalm 34:1-3

"I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth" (v. 1). That verse is much easier to read than it is to practice. How can we praise the Lord at all times? Sometimes it's difficult to praise Him. Sometimes we are weak, and our bodies hurt or circumstances are difficult. Sometimes we must helplessly watch people we love go through hard times.

If we are to praise the Lord at all times, then praise must be important. Notice the results that come when we truly praise the Lord continually. Praise sanctifies our lives at all times. It sanctifies us when we're in the dentist's chair or when we are standing by an open grave. The Lord Jesus sang before He went to Calvary. "And when they [Jesus and His disciples] had sung a hymn, they went out" (Matt. 26:30). Paul and Silas praised the Lord in prison when their bodies hurt (Acts 16:25).

Praise also unifies God's people. One thing we can all do together is praise the Lord. We may not always agree on the sermon, but we can agree on the hymnbook. That's why there will be so much singing and praising in heaven.

Finally, praise magnifies the Lord. That's why we should do it at all times. Anybody can praise the Lord when things are going well. But it's during the "furnace experiences" that praise really magnifies the Lord.

Let praise sanctify your life, unify your fellowship and magnify the Lord.

Is praising God part of your Christian experience? Praise Him always, for praise is a necessary part of the life of faith.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2006, 04:09:24 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 34:4-10

A Biblical Testimony

Read Psalm 34:4-10

When I was a young Christian, the church I attended held testimony meetings. I would hear people say, "I thank the Lord that He saves, keeps and satisfies." So I asked myself, That sounds good, but is it in the Bible?

Yes, it is. We find it in Psalm 34:6-8. "This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles" (v. 6). The Lord saves. It's interesting to notice that we aren't saved from trouble. Sometimes when we trust the Lord and pray He saves us from troubles. But here David says, "He saved me out of troubles."

He also keeps. "The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them" (v. 7). The word angel conveys the idea of many angels, not just one. David is talking about an encampment of angels surrounding us for protection. So the Lord does save and keep. I'm glad for His keeping power. He's able to save and keep us because of His work on the cross and His present ministry in heaven.

Verse 8 says that the Lord also satisfies: "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him!" Some of the experiences of life taste sour. Sometimes the cup that is handed to us is not one of sweetness but of bitterness. Our Lord had to drink a bitter cup. Do you know what makes the bitter cup satisfying and sweet? It's "tasting" the Lord in it. When you taste the Lord in the experiences of life, they become sweet in Him. Therefore, that testimony is biblical: He saves, He keeps, He satisfies.

What problem are you facing today? Perhaps you are struggling with physical or financial difficulties. Whatever your problems, God promises to help you through them. Are you trusting Jesus to save you and keep you? Have you "tasted" the Lord and found that He satisfies?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2006, 06:54:08 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 34:11-16

How to Have a Good Day

Read Psalm 34:11-16

How often has someone said to you, "Have a good day"? That's a nice statement, but what does it mean? When you review the day's activities before you go to bed, how do you know whether the day was good or bad? When Joseph's brothers sold him into slavery, that was a bad day. But God turned it into good for him. When Potiphar's wife lied about Joseph and had him put into prison, it was a bad day. But God turned that into good for him also. You see, we don't always know what a good day is. However, we can make our days good if we follow the instructions given in today's passage.

First, control your tongue. David asks, "Who is the man who desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good?" (v. 12). Of course, everybody wants long life and good days. So you must "keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit" (v. 13). When you say the wrong thing, you will have a bad day. So keep your tongue under control.

Second, "depart from evil and do good" (v. 14). If you want to have a good day, do good. If you sow the seeds of goodness, you'll reap the harvest of goodness.

Third, "seek peace and pursue it" (v. 14). Don't go around with a revolver in your hand. Don't be bothered by every little slight or by everything that people say. If somebody cuts in front of you in a line, don't let it bother you. Be a peacemaker, not a troublemaker.

Finally, trust the Lord because He's watching you. "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry" (v. 15). The word open means "attentive to." You don't have to worry about what other people do. God is watching you, and He's listening to you. You can have a good day if you'll just follow these instructions. So, have a good day!

"Have a good day!" may be a trite expression, but you can have a good day if you follow certain instructions from Scripture. Try following the guidelines of this psalm. Not only will you have a good day, but those with whom you come in contact will be blessed.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2006, 07:07:03 AM »

Scripture Reference James 4:6 Isaiah 53:3 Psalm 51:17 Psalm 34:17-18

Smashed Rainbows

Read Psalm 34:17-18

A little girl and her mother were walking down a sidewalk after a rainstorm. Someone had spilled some automobile oil on the pavement. Seeing that, the little girl said, "Mommy, look at all of the smashed rainbows!"

Maybe your rainbows have been smashed, and you have a broken heart. Perhaps you don't feel close to God because of your heartache. What can you do to be near to Him? First, keep in mind that nearness is likeness. "The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart" (v. 18). The more we are like God, the nearer we are to Him. How close can you get to God? You can get as close to Him as you want. Draw near to Him, and He will draw near to you. Remember that God knows the meaning of a broken heart. Jesus Christ literally experienced one. He was "a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" (Isa. 53:3). Let your experiences make you more like Jesus, and He will draw near to you.

Second, remember that God gives grace to the humble. "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6). David also said, "A broken and a contrite heart--these, O God, You will not despise" (Ps. 51:17).

Our Lord came "to heal the brokenhearted" (Luke 4:18). Do you have a broken heart that needs healed? Here's the simple secret: Give the Lord all the pieces, and He will heal you.

Everyone has experienced dashed hopes and smashed plans. Take comfort in knowing that your Lord heals the broken heart. Are you getting over a crushing experience? The Lord understands what you are going through. Draw near to Him with a humble spirit and give Him the broken pieces of your heart.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2006, 07:08:25 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 34:19-22

God's Tools

Read Psalm 34:19-22

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all" (v. 19). The psalmist does not say, "I thought the Lord kept us out of afflictions. I thought that if I read my Bible every day and prayed and tried to obey His will, I would never have any afflictions." Instead, he says that we will face many afflictions.

Why do we have afflictions in our lives? We have some afflictions simply because we are human. They are just a part of human life. We get older, and our bodies begin to run down. Not every sickness, every accident or every problem we face comes because God is angry at us or is disciplining us. They may just be a part of life.

We also have afflictions because Satan is against us. He'd love to destroy us. Or, afflictions may come because we have disobeyed the Lord. I'm glad for those; I'm glad that God loves me enough to "spank" me when I've disobeyed Him.

But often, afflictions are God's tools for helping us grow. We don't really grow until we've been through the furnace, through the storm or through the battle. God is not raising hothouse plants that shrivel when the hot wind blows on them. No, He wants to raise mature sons and daughters, and that's why we have afflictions. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all" (v. 19). He doesn't keep us out of them. He delivers us from them. Sometimes He changes the circumstances. Sometimes He changes us. The real secret of deliverance is not the circumstance around you but the faith within you. Expect affliction, but trust God for deliverance.

Perhaps God's greatest use of affliction is as a tool for helping you grow into a mature Christian. The good news is that you may trust Him to deliver you from your afflictions. The next time you face affliction, trust the Lord for your deliverance.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2006, 03:20:42 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 12:17-21 Psalm 34:17-22

Trusting the Lord

Read Psalm 34:17-22

Christians must entrust five burdens to the Lord to receive blessings from Him. First, trust the Lord with your frustrations (v. 17). The word trouble means "to be in a bind" or "frustrated." Sometimes we bring trouble on ourselves, as did David. The only safe place is in the will of God. Sometimes other people cause our troubles, as Saul often did for David. And sometimes we have troubles because God knows we need them. When we have troubles, we need to pray for His help. Trust the Lord with your frustrations.

Second, trust the Lord with your feelings (v. 18). David was repenting because of his sin, and his heart was broken. God respects that attitude; He is always near those who have a broken heart.

Third, trust the Lord with your future (v. 20). The word guard means "to exercise great care over, to protect." When Jesus was on the cross, the Devil was doing his worst, yet he could do only what God permitted. God was guarding His own Son, and He will guard us, for He is concerned with our future.

Fourth, trust the Lord with your foes (v. 21). Their own sin will slay them. "Evil shall slay the wicked." Give your enemies to the Lord. Let Him be the Judge (Rom. 12:17-21).

Finally, trust the Lord with your failures (v. 22). The word condemned means "to be held guilty." David sinned against the Lord (the cause of his broken heart), but God rescued and forgave him.

If you want to have a good day, trust the Lord with these five burdens.

When you became a Christian, you trusted Jesus as your Savior, and He saved you from the penalty of your sin. But don't stop there. You need to entrust your life to God daily. Entrust these burdens to Him and receive the blessings He has for you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2006, 06:05:27 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 35:1-10

What To Do First

Read Psalm 35:1-10

"And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord; it shall rejoice in His salvation" (v. 9). This is David's glad response to God's gracious deliverance from his enemies. David was in trouble; his enemies were accusing him and lying about him. What did he do? He prayed.

Our first reaction to false accusations is to fight. We want to fight back and defend our name and protect our reputation. But David was far more concerned about his character than his reputation. He knew that if he was right with God, it made no difference what people did to him or said about him. So he started with prayer. "Plead my cause, O Lord, with those who strive with me; fight against those who fight against me" (v. 1). When the Enemy fights against you, he's really fighting against the Lord. That's a good principle to remember. When the child of God is in the will of God, he can claim the help and the protection of the Father.

David started with prayer, and he admitted his own helplessness. "All my bones shall say, 'Lord, who is like You, delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him?'" (v. 10). Our enemies are too strong for us. We have to turn them over to the Lord. David trusted God to work on his behalf, and He did.

God will work for you today, too. In His time and in His way, He will accomplish what needs to be done. And when that day comes to an end, or whenever the opportunity might arise, you will say, "And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord; it shall rejoice in His salvation." It's not your salvation--it's not based on what you have done for yourself but on what God has done for you. I trust that today you'll have the joy of His victory in your life.

When dealing with your enemies, your first response might be to react instead of to act positively. Your best response is to pray. As God's child, you can turn your enemies over to Him and claim His help and protection. Is the Enemy attacking you ? Give your burden to the Lord, and He will work on your behalf.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 5:44 Psalm 35:11-21

The Divine Level

Read Psalm 35:11-21

On which level of life are you living--on the human level, the demonic level or the divine level? On the human level we return good for good and evil for evil. That's the way most people live. But when we live on this level, we really don't grow. In fact, we become like other people. The human level turns life into a war, into a selfish competition. And that's not the Christian way to live. Only God knows when something is truly evil. What someone does to you today might ultimately turn out to be the best thing that's ever happened to you. On the surface it may look like evil, but God can turn it into good.

Nor do we want to live on the demonic level. In Psalm 35 we read about those who return evil for good. David says, "They reward me evil for good, to the sorrow of my soul" (v. 12). That's the level the Devil lives on. He always returns evil for good.

But David lived on the divine level. He returned good for evil (vv. 13,14). He expressed love toward his enemies. He didn't simply return good for good and evil for evil. And he certainly didn't return evil for good. No, David returned good for evil. He anticipated the words of our Lord Jesus Christ: "Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you" (Matt. 5:44).

Let's live on the divine level--that dynamic level of love where we live like the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's often difficult to do good toward those who have wronged you. But God wants you to live on the divine level and return good for evil. How do you treat others? The next time you are wronged by someone, choose to treat that person with kindness. God will use your actions to bring glory to Himself.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2006, 01:48:54 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 35:22-28 Philippians 1:20

Being a Lens

Read Psalm 35:22-28

Each of us is a lens that magnifies what we live for. People can look at and through our lives and see what is really important to us. The athlete magnifies his sport, his team and his winning record. The musician magnifies the instrument he plays. The scholar magnifies his discipline. As God's people, we should magnify the Lord.

The sinner, however, wants to magnify only himself. David said, "Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion who rejoice at my hurt; let them be clothed with shame and dishonor who magnify themselves against me" (v. 26). Notice the phrase "who magnify themselves against me." Whenever you live to magnify yourself, you are always against someone else. This means competition. And God doesn't want us to live competitively.

Our great desire should be to magnify the Lord, not ourselves. David said, "Let them shout for joy and be glad, who favor my righteous cause; and let them say continually, 'Let the Lord be magnified'" (v. 27). The Apostle Paul said, "Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death" (Phil. 1:20). Are you magnifying the Lord today? Can people listen to your words, look at your life, measure your actions and say, "She belongs to the Lord. He belongs to the Lord"? It's important that people see the Lord, not us.

The most important quality of a lens is cleanliness. When the lenses of my glasses get dirty, I see the dirt. So I have to clean them. When we are dirty, people see us rather than the Lord. Let's keep our lives clean today. Let's magnify the Lord together; He is worthy of all praise.

Christians are on display before the world. What an opportunity and responsibility you have to impact others for Christ! If you love the Lord, you will want to magnify Him. Watch your words and actions. Are you living for Jesus? Keep the lens of your life clean so that He may be magnified through you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2006, 06:27:21 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 147:11 Psalm 36:1-12

Protected by a Shadow

Read Psalm 36:1-12

When we trust Jesus Christ and live in fellowship with Him, we have all we need for life and for service. When you were saved, you were born again, complete in Christ. When the Holy Spirit came into your life, He came to give you fullness of life in Jesus Christ.

Psalm 36 indicates that when we walk in the Lord and seek to serve Him, we have His protection. "How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings" (v. 7). David is talking about the tabernacle, about the wings of the cherubim in the Holy of Holies. How strange that the safest place in the world is under a shadow! When we live in the Holy of Holies, in fellowship with God and under His wings, we have His protection.

In verse 8 David changes the picture. He says we have God's satisfaction: "They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures." Our Lord not only protects us but also provides for and satisfies us. A river constantly flows, yet it's always the same. God is always the same, yet He constantly wants to bring new blessings to us. A river is known for its power and abundance. So is God. "For with You is the fountain of life" (v. 9). We don't drink at the river and get thirsty again. We always have that Fountain of Living Water within us.

We also have His guidance. "In Your light we see light" (v. 9). What more can you want? In Jesus Christ you have all that you need. Be sure to live under the shadow of His wings.

God's lovingkindness addresses your human weaknesses. Where they might betray you or leave you vulnerable, He divinely provides. You have the promise of His care. He protects, satisfies and guides. Is your life holy and acceptable before Him ? Trust yourself to God's care and rest under the shadow of His wing. "The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who put their hope in His mercy" (Ps. 147:11).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2006, 04:13:44 AM »

Scripture Reference John 8:12 Psalm 90:1 Psalm 61:4 John 4:13-14 Psalm 119:105 Psalm 36:7-12

Blessedness of Believers

Read Psalm 36:7-12

In this psalm David ponders the fourfold blessedness of believers. First, we are under God's wings (v. 7). His mercy is possible because of the blood of Jesus Christ. David refers to the Holy of Holies in the tabernacle, where the Ark of the Covenant held the tables of the Law, with a golden mercy seat over the box. Because he has trusted God, David is in the Holy of Holies and protected by Him (Ps. 61:4; 90:1). Christians today are living in the presence of God at the mercy seat.

Second, we are at His table (v. 8). When the Jews brought their sacrifices, they ate a sacrificial meal. As believers, we share all that God has for us in His house. Are you satisfied with the things of God (Ps. 63:1-5)? In the tabernacle were 12 loaves of bread representing the 12 tribes. Today believers are God's priests in His tabernacle and the only ones allowed to eat the bread.

Third, we are by His river (v. 8). God wants us to live in paradise and drink from His pleasures. Why would the people of God want to imitate the world and try to get their delight from it? Jerusalem was one of the few ancient cities not built beside a river. But God is the River of His people (v. 4; John 4:13,14). We shall always have satisfaction for our spiritual thirst.

Fourth, we are in His light (v. 9). God's light is different from what the world has to offer. If we want to see the lights in this world, we need the Light of the World, the Lord Jesus (John 8:12; Ps. 119:105). We who have eternal life need not be afraid of the wicked. The wicked keep affirming that they don't fear God and keep flattering themselves. They will fall because of their own sin. Are you living in the wickedness of sinners or in the blessedness of believers?

The believer never should settle for what the world has to offer. Are you living in the presence of God and enjoying His blessings? Remember, His mercy is always available to you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2006, 02:16:18 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 37:1-4 Ephesians 4:13-13

Measure Yourself

Read Psalm 37:1-4

Psalm 37 begins with a personal and practical admonition: Do not fret. How do we calm a fretful spirit and bring peace to a troubled heart? "Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity" (v. 1). Why do we envy the wicked? They seem to be prospering; they seem to be so happy. But what do they have that we need? In God we have everything we need. Whenever we find ourselves fretting, it's probably because we are measuring ourselves against others. That's the wrong thing to do. Instead, measure yourself against yourself. You're not competing with others; you're competing with yourself. Also measure yourself against the Lord Jesus Christ, because He is the One you are to be like: "The measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" (Eph. 4:13).

David reminds us: "For they [the wicked] shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good" (vv. 2,3). When you fix your eyes on the Lord and trust and obey Him, that fretful spirit quiets down, and peace comes to your heart. Whenever I stop trusting the Lord for my needs and for His help, my heart becomes heavy and burdened, and then I become fretful and worried. So "trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness" (v. 3). God takes care of His own.

We find a third admonition. "Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart" (v. 4). When we delight in the Lord, we learn to appreciate the delights of the Lord. Our desires become His desires, and we pray and live in His will.

Don't fret today. Look to the Lord in faith, trust in Him and delight in Him.

Competing with others and comparing yourself to them can lead to fretting. Measure yourself only against yourself and against Jesus Christ. Consider your needs. Are there any the Lord cannot provide? Place your trust in His provision. He is faithful.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2006, 02:18:22 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 37:5-7

He Will Do It

Read Psalm 37:5-7

"Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass" (v. 5). Bring what to pass? God will bring to pass the thing that does you the most good and that brings Him the most glory. This is a good verse to memorize. No doubt there is something in your life you would like God to do. You've been thinking about it, dreaming about it and praying about it. If God is going to accomplish things for us and in us and through us, we must follow certain instructions.

First, we must commit our way to the Lord. This is a definite act of our will. We don't commit it to the Lord and then take it back, anymore than a farmer plants his seed and then keeps digging it up to see if it's growing! Committing our way to the Lord is an act of the will, an act of faith. We make our way His way, and we make His way our way.

Second, we must trust God. What does it mean to trust God? It means to believe His promises and to know that He is such a wonderful God that He always can be trusted. We trust people because of their good character or performance. God's character is perfect, and His record is perfect.

Third, we must wait on the Lord. When will He act? When He wants to. This is why David adds, "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him" (v. 7). Martin Luther translated this, "Be silent to God, and let Him hold thee." I like that. Just rest in the Lord. Wait for Him. He's working in you and on you while He's working for you. Commit, trust and wait, and He will bring it to pass.

What would you like to see God do in your life? Start by aligning your will with His. Commit your way to Him, trust Him and wait on Him. God is working for you. In His time He will accomplish His work.
Copyright© 1992, used with permission, all rights reserved.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the