Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Prayer, Praise and Promises
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer, Praise and Promises  (Read 93825 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2006, 06:13:13 AM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference Psalm 37:8-15 Matthew 11:29 Matthew 5:5

Are You Meek?

Read Psalm 37:8-15

"But the meek shall inherit the earth, and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace" (v. 11). Our Lord echoed this same idea when He said, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth" (Matt. 5:5). Meekness is not weakness. Moses was called the meekest man on the face of the earth, yet he boldly stood before Pharaoh and led the children of Israel. At times he had to execute judgment. In the same way, our Lord Jesus said, "I am gentle [meek] and lowly in heart" (Matt. 11:29). And Jesus certainly was not weak! One day He took a whip and went through the temple and cleaned house. He was not weak, but He was meek.

Meekness means "power under control." Moses had the power and authority to crush people, but he didn't. He used that power only as God guided him and worked in him. The meek are those who know they have authority and power but keep that power under control. In the New Testament the word translated "meek" also was used in that day to describe a colt that had been broken, its power brought under control.

God can afford to give an inheritance to those who are under control. It's not the proud or arrogant who inherit but the meek--those who say, "Oh, Lord, we want Your will." Too often our fists are clenched. When your fist is clenched, your hand is not open to receive what God wants to give you. What do the meek inherit? The delightful things of the Lord. All God is and has made belongs to the meek.

Meekness indicates strength of character, not weakness. God uses people who exhibit power under control. Are you able to claim the inheritance He promises to those who are meek? Submit to His will and enjoy the spiritual riches you have in Christ Jesus.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2006, 11:04:26 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 37:16-20 Deuteronomy 33:25

He Knows

Read Psalm 37:16-20

When you look at the wicked and see their prosperity, don't fret or do anything foolish. The Lord is on your side, and "if God is for us, who can be against us?" (Rom. 8:31). In this passage God gives us all the assurance we need to have peace in our hearts. "A little that a righteous man has is better than the riches of many wicked" (v. 16). Here is your first assurance: God knows how much we need, and all of His wealth is available to us. What good is it to have a million-dollar house if it's not a home? What good is it to have a huge bank account if our values are not right? David is telling us that it's better to have a little and have God (because then we have everything) than to have much and not have God.

Our second assurance is that God knows how much we can take. "For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous" (v. 17). He knows how great a burden we can bear, how fierce a battle we can fight. When God puts us in the furnace, He always keeps His eye on the clock and His hand on the thermostat.

Third, God knows the days that we will live. "The Lord knows the days of the upright, and their inheritance shall be forever" (v. 18). He has a plan for your life. That sounds like a Christian clichè, but it's true. Whenever we've gone on trips, I am assured to know that the tour guide knows where he's going and what he's doing. I can just sit back and let him do the driving and the worrying. That's how God wants us to live. He wants us to leave everything with Him, because He knows how much we need, how much we can take and what will happen each day. Don't worry; live a day at a time. God's Word is clear, "As your days, so shall your strength be" (Deut. 33:25).

Take comfort in knowing that God is intimately aware of your needs. He knows what you need and what your limits are. Do you have pressing needs? Leave them with Him. Trust Him to provide them and resist the urge to look ahead and worry. Concentrate on what God is doing for you today.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2006, 03:51:46 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 37:21-22

Borrowing or Inheriting?

Read Psalm 37:21-22

Someone has said that when your outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep is your downfall. David may have had that idea in mind when he wrote this passage. He is talking about two different attitudes toward life: How much can I give? and How much can I get?

Nothing is wrong with an honest debt or a loan. In fact, the Lord Jesus, in the parable of the pounds and the parable of the talents, talks about putting money in the bank and investing money and receiving interest. These verses say, however, that the wicked go through life depending on others by borrowing from them. They borrow their joy and their strength. But believers go through life inheriting. "For those blessed by Him shall inherit the earth" (v. 22). Because we are children of God, we are in His will. He's written our names into His last will and testament. Jesus Christ died on the cross to probate His own will. Now we are living on that inheritance.

Are you going through life borrowing? Do you have to borrow happiness, wisdom and joy? Or are you going through life inheriting--drawing from that marvelous spiritual account in the Lord Jesus Christ? The wicked go through life thinking only of getting, but God's people go through life thinking of giving, of sharing with others and of showing mercy.

God has blessed us. We have inherited everything through His Son. No matter what you're facing today, don't be afraid or alarmed. He has everything you need to live a happy, holy and victorious life. Don't go through life borrowing. Draw on His inheritance.

In Christ Jesus you have everything you need. God has given you a spiritual inheritance you can draw from. You need not depend on others for your spiritual resources. Instead, confidently depend on God for your strength and resources.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2006, 12:01:25 AM »

Title: Steps and Stops
Book: Prayer, Praise and Promises

Read Psalm 37:23, 24

I like these verses because they give us three exciting assurances as we go through each day with the Lord. First, God directs us in the best way. The steps of a good man or a good woman are ordered by the Lord. David isn't talking about fate or chance. He isn't saying that life is a rigid machine. But he does say, "Your Father in heaven is watching you. He has planned a wonderful day for you. You may not understand all that He has planned, but everything is in His hands." Romans 8:28 tells us that "all things work together for good to those who love God."

Second, God delights in us as we obey Him. Just as human fathers experience delight when their children obey them, so our Father in heaven enjoys delight when we obey Him. "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matt. 3:17). That's what God the Father said about God the Son, and I want Him to say the same about me. At the close of the day, I want to be able to come to my Father and hear Him say, "Today you've been a good son. You have delighted My heart."

Third, God delivers us when we stumble. "He restores my soul" (Ps. 23:3). He upholds and lifts us up, so we don't have to be afraid of stumbling. Sometimes we do stumble on the path of life, but our steps are ordered by the Lord, and He observes our stops. He knows when you've stumbled, and He's right there to pick you up and get you started again. Stay close to Him, for He guides and guards your path.

God promises to guide you through life, and He gives assurances that you may depend on daily. Be encouraged that your life is not left to chance. Does God delight in you as an obedient son or daughter? Remember, your Father is ready to guide and protect you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2006, 12:02:49 AM »

Title: Can You Believe It?

Read Psalm 37:25-29

We see and hear all kinds of testimonials from famous people in advertising today. Quite frankly, I don't put much faith in what these celebrities say. What do football players really know about automobile tires? What do actors or actresses know about computers? We know they are used in ads to lend the authority of their name to the product. When we hear a testimonial, we'd better find out who said it, what was said and if we can really believe it.

We find a testimonial in verse 25: "I have been young, and now am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his descendants begging bread." Let's ask three questions. First, who said it? David did. Think of him as a young shepherd taking care of his sheep. God gave him strength to overcome the lion, strength to defeat the bear and strength to overcome the giant, Goliath. As a shepherd, David saw God take care of His own. Think of David the soldier, David the king or even David the sweet singer of Israel. Oh, David knew what he was talking about. God took care of him at each stage in his life. Even David the sinner saw God provide for him.

Second, what did David say? "I have been young, and now I'm old; but I've never seen God forsake His own." He didn't say, "I've never seen the righteous go through trouble. I've never seen God's people suffer sorrow or affliction." David knew a great deal about sorrow, affliction, tears and trials. What he did say was this: "I have never seen one of God's children left alone." God has been faithful through the years. We don't have to be afraid of being young or getting old, because He remains with us.

Third, can we claim this for ourselves ? Yes, we can. Jesus said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Heb. 13:5). He also said, "Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matt. 28:20). You can trust His Word.

God always is faithful to His people. The history of Israel confirms His faithfulness. That He will never leave you nor forsake you is a great promise. And you can expect Him to keep His promises. Have you claimed the promises of God's Word and experienced His faithfulness?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »

Title: Say 'Ah'

Read Psalm 37:30-34

Visiting the doctor for an annual checkup is necessary. God, too, is concerned about us and wants to give us a spiritual checkup once in a while. My doctor says, "Open your mouth. Stick out your tongue." Then he wants to listen to my heart. He even looks at my feet. David refers to a similar examination in these verses.

God is concerned about your mouth. "The mouth of the righteous speaks wisdom, and his tongue talks of justice" (v. 30). What do you talk about? If God were to say to you, "Open your mouth and stick out your tongue," what would He find out about you? I hope He wouldn't discover that you are being deceitful or are speaking defiling words. It's amazing what a doctor can discover by examining the tongue. It's also amazing what God can discover about us--and what we can discover about ourselves! The Word of God needs to be on our lips.

God also is concerned about your heart. "The law of his God is in his heart" (v. 31). When God listens to your heart, does He hear His Word? When God's Law is in your heart, He can do something through you and in you and for you. "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night" (Ps. 1:2). What's in your heart will determine what's on your lips. If the truth of God is in your heart, then the Word of God will be on your lips.

God also is concerned about your feet. "None of his steps shall slide" (v. 31). The righteous person doesn't backslide; his feet are walking on the right path because his heart is filled with God's truth. He's also not ashamed to tell that truth through his lips. He has a testimony and a witness for the Lord.

Taking care of the heart is the most important thing we can do. "Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life" (Prov. 4:23). If our heart is right with God, our lips and our feet will be what He wants them to be.

Have you had a spiritual checkup lately? You can remain healthy by keeping the Word of God in your heart. That truth will spread to the other parts of your body. Do you glorify God with your mouth, feet and heart?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2006, 05:45:51 AM »

Title: Your Roots

Read Psalm 37:35-40

As David finished Psalm 37, he described two different kinds of people and what would happen to them. First, he described the powerful. "I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a native green tree. Yet he passed away, and behold, he was no more; indeed I sought him, but he could not be found" (vv. 35, 36). The powerful are rooted in this world. They are like a tree that looks strong and stable. One day a storm comes and blows the tree over. It is then cut up for kindling and is gone. The most important part of a tree is its root system.

If you are rooted in this world, you have no security, for everything here is temporary. But if you are rooted in the Lord Jesus Christ, you have the permanence of eternity upon your life. Don't envy the powerful or those whose names are blazoned abroad. Don't worry about what happens to this crowd. God tells us what happens: They could not be found; they're gone. But "he who does the will of God abides forever" (I John 2:17). That's why it's important to live for the Lord today.

Second, David described the perfect man or woman. "Mark the blameless man, and observe the upright; for the future of that man is peace" (Ps. 37:37). The future of the powerful person is destruction; the future of the perfect person is peace. The word perfect doesn't mean "sinless." Nobody is sinless. Instead, David meant the sincere person, the wholehearted person, the person who practices Matthew 6:33: "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

When we are perfect in Christ, accepted in the Beloved One, we have peace, we have strength, and we have God's salvation. "And the Lord shall help them and deliver them; He shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in Him" (Ps. 37:40). Today, don't walk by sight, looking at the native green tree. Walk by faith. Be perfect in the Lord, and He'll bless you.

Our spiritual root system is important to our spiritual well-being. Where we send our roots will determine which resources we will draw from. Are you rooted in the world or in Jesus Christ? Are you living by faith or sight? Trust in the resources you have in Christ and grow in His grace.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2006, 05:47:13 AM »

Title: Saying No

Read Psalm 38:1-8

Nobody can deny there is pleasure in sin. If there were no pleasure in sin, nobody would fall into temptation. The Bible speaks about the pleasures of sin for a season. What season? The season of sowing. The pleasure of sin comes when we sow, but the pain comes when we reap. This is why David gave such a vivid description in Psalm 38 of what we suffer when we sin. "O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your wrath, nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure!" (v. 1). He went on to say that God's arrows were piercing him and His hand was pressing down on him. All of his bones hurt. His iniquities had gone over his head as if he were drowning in a sea of sin. "My wounds are foul and festering," David said. "I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long" (vv. 5, 6).

Why did God put this description in the Bible? Why does David compare the consequences of sin to being pierced by arrows, being pressed by His hand, sickness, a heavy burden, drowning, smothering and no peace? Because God wants us to hate sin. If for no other reason, the consequences of sin ought to warn us against sinning. The next time you're tempted, look past the pleasure to the pain and learn to say no. Remember what David says in this Psalm. You say, "I'm a Christian. I can sin." No, you can't, because you'll reap the same consequences. God chastens His own, for He wants us to walk in holiness.

Let's encourage other people to say no. Let's live in such a way that we don't encourage other people to sin. Also, let's have sympathy for those who have fallen. It's sad to reap the consequences of sin--even forgiven sin. David knew that. So let's encourage others and try to restore them. Let's also love the Lord more. Why? Because He went through all of these consequences on the cross for us. He felt the burden. He felt the arrows. And He did it so that we could be forgiven.

David greatly suffered for his sin. Those who sin reap its consequences. God wants us to hate sin for what it can do to us and for what it did to His Son. If you are harboring unconfessed sin in your life, confess it and ask for God's forgiveness. Next time you're tempted to sin, remember David's description of the consequences.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2006, 05:48:37 AM »

Title: Don't Give Up

Read Psalm 38:9-16

Christians are not supposed to sin. But if we do sin, we are not to give up. David had sinned, and now he was paying for his sin! He had sown the seeds of sin, and now he was reaping the terrible harvest. But he didn't give up.

Let's remember that though our friends may forsake us, and though the Enemy may attack us, God never gives up on His children. David said, "My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague, and my relatives stand afar off' (v. 11). Sometimes when we've disobeyed the Lord, even our closest friends and our nearest and dearest relatives are of no help to us. Sometimes we're ashamed to tell them what's happened. But even when they do know, they often avoid us.

And when we sin, the Enemy wants to fight us. He is always waiting for an opportunity. "Those also who seek my life lay snares for me" (v. 12). You would think that after we've succumbed to temptation, the Devil would leave us alone. No, he knows that we're weak and discouraged, so he lays even more snares for us.

But God sees the heart. "Lord, all my desire is before You; and my sighing is not hidden from You" (v. 9). He also hears your cry. "For in You, O Lord, I hope; You will hear, O Lord my God" (v. 15). What will God hear? He will hear our prayer of confession and repentance. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (I John 1:9). God in His government must allow us to reap what we sow. But in His grace He forgives us and cleanses us. Reaping the consequences of sin is one thing; experiencing His judgment for sin is quite something else. Don't give up if you've stumbled and fallen. God sees your heart and hears your cry. He will forgive and restore you.

Although God requires that we reap the consequences of our sin, He loves us and wants to restore us to fellowship. Don't allow Satan to rob you of God's grace. He forgives, cleanses and restores. Have you stumbled? Confess your sin and repent. He is faithful to forgive.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 38:17-22

Playing Into Satan's Hands

Real Psalm 38:17-22

"For I am ready to fall, and my sorrow is continually before me" (v. 17). David was ready to quit. David, the great conqueror and disciplined soldier, the one who killed Goliath, was ready to quit. He had sinned against the Lord, and he was suffering for it. Even his friends were against him. Let's learn some lessons from David to avoid his experience.

Don't give up. Satan is so subtle and mean. When he's tempting you, he whispers in your ear, "You can get away with this." Then after you've sinned, he sneers, "You'll never get away with this. You're done for." Satan wants us to give up, but if we do, we're playing right into his hands. We're denying that God can help us and forgetting that we belong to Him. What earthly father would forsake his child when he stumbles? Instead, that father reaches down in love, picks up his child, comforts him, cleanses his wounds and helps him walk again. If you sin, don't give in to your feelings, don't watch people around you and don't listen to the Devil.

Confess your sin. "For I will declare my iniquity; I will be in anguish over my sin" (v. 18). David didn't say, "I will be sorry that I'm suffering for my sin" or, "I will be sorry for the consequences." He said, "I'm sorry I have sinned."

Trust in the Lord. "Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!" (vv. 21, 22). God is not going to forsake you. He cannot forsake you--He owns you, He purchased you, He made you, and He lives in you. Let Him draw near and restore you again.

After you've stumbled into sin, you are vulnerable--both to your feelings and to the Devil. You must claim the truth of God's Word and not give in to your feelings or listen to the Devil. Instead, confess your sin to a loving Father and trust Him to restore you to fellowship.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »

Scripture Reference Genesis 39:1-6

No Excuses

Read Psalm 39:1-6

"I was mute with silence, I held my peace" (v. 2). Usually David was singing a song or giving an order or rejoicing in the Lord, but now he is silent. Why? Because God had rebuked him for a sin he had committed, and he knew better than to argue with God. Sometimes when we sin, we want to argue. We make excuses instead of confessions. We give reasons for not escaping the temptation. But David didn't do that. He was silent.

But as he meditated, something stirred within his heart. "My heart was hot within me; while I was musing, the fire burned. Then I spoke with my tongue: 'Lord, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; certainly every man at his best state is but vapor'" (vv. 3-5). As David mused and meditated, he learned two lessons.

First, he learned about the brevity of life. Verse 6 reads, "Surely every man walks about like a shadow; surely they busy themselves in vain." This means that they are disquieted in vain; they're merely walking in a performance. David says, "I don't know how long this performance is going to last. My life is a handbreadth." Life's brevity ought to warn us not to waste our lives sinning.

Second, David learned about the frailty of man. "Help me to know how frail I am" (v. 4). He is telling us, "It's not the length of life that counts--it's the depth of life." It's not important how strong we are in ourselves but how strong we are in God. What counts is that we are investing our lives in eternal things.

Don't argue with God. Don't come with excuses. Rather, come and say, "Lord, make my life count."

Life is short, so why devote precious time to sin and its destructive power? Invest your life in the eternal things of God. Draw your daily strength from Him. When you sin, confess it right away and get back to investing your life for God's glory.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2006, 06:14:51 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 13 1 Peter 1:3 Psalm 39:7-13

A Living Hope

Read Psalm 39:7-l3

David asked, "And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You" (v. 7). That's a good question. What are you waiting for? And how can you be sure that what you're waiting for is going to come?

David said his hope was in the Lord. Biblical hope means confidence in the future. It's a confidence born of faith. Faith, hope and love go together (I Cor. 13). When we have faith in God, we claim His promises, and they give us hope for the future. Hope for the Christian is not a feeling of "I hope it's going to happen." It's exciting expectancy because God controls the future. When Jesus Christ is your Savior and your Lord, the future is your friend. You don't have to worry.

Why is this hope so important? When we lose hope, we lose joy in the present because we have no confidence for the future. I have been in hospital rooms when the surgeon has walked in and said to a patient's loved ones, "I'm sorry. We did the best we could. There is no hope." The faces of the loved ones fall. Sadness fills the room. We live on hope; it springs eternal in the human breast. But it's more than a feeling down inside; it's a confidence that God is in control, and we have nothing to fear.

What is the basis for our hope? It is the character of God. We've been born again unto a living hope (I Pet. 1:3). It's not a dead hope that rots and falls apart but a living hope whose roots go deeper and whose fruits grow more wonderful. You can have joy, confidence, encouragement and excitement today if you will remember that you have a living hope.

Your hope for the future is founded in the promises of God's Word. Do you have confidence in the future? Make a mental list of His provision on your behalf during the past year--answered prayers, met needs and other blessings. God's faithfulness in keeping His promises in the past gives you confident hope for the future.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2006, 06:16:22 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 40:1-3

From Mire To Choir

Read Psalm 40:1-3

When we wait for the Lord and wait on Him, we aren't being idle. In this psalm David cries out to the Lord and asks for help. "He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps" (v. 2). Waiting on the Lord is worthwhile because of what He is going to do for us. It is not idleness, nor is it carelessness. And it certainly isn't complacency. Instead, waiting is that divine activity of expecting God to work. And He never disappoints us.

Figuratively, David had been down in a horrible pit. He was sinking in the mire. But he waited on the Lord. And God not only pulled him out of the pit, but He put him on a rock and established his footing. He said, "David, I'm going to take you out of the mire and put you in the choir." "He has put a new song in my mouth--praise to our God" (v. 3).

Are you waiting on the Lord? Are you praying about something and asking, "O God, when are You going to do this? When are You going to work?" Remember, one of these days your praying will turn to singing. Your sinking will turn to standing. Your fear will turn to security as He puts you on the rock. Just wait on the Lord. He's patient with you. Why not be patient with Him and let Him work in His time?

Waiting for the Lord's help sometimes forces you to your limits. But take comfort in knowing that while you wait on Him, God is working out His purposes in your life. Are you in a difficult situation, waiting for God to do something? Leave your burden with the Lord and trust Him to act. He never disappoints you when you wait on Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2006, 02:59:33 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 40:4-5 Romans 8:28 Romans 8:28

A New Perspective

Read Psalm 40:4, 5

What are the blessings that come to us when we make the Lord our trust? First, we start seeing life through His eyes.

Look at verse 4: "Blessed is that man who . . . does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies." When we walk by faith, we have God's discernment. We see the world more clearly. But that's not all.

We also start appreciating God's works. "Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works which You have done" (v. 5). He is always at work for us. Romans 8:28 is true: "All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

Verse 5 continues, "And Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered." Not only do we start seeing and admiring God's works, but also we start enjoying His Word and contemplating His thoughts. When we trust the Lord, His Word becomes precious to us, because "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Rom. 10:17).

Don't trust yourself or your circumstances; trust the Lord. When you roll all your burdens onto Him, you gain a new perspective. You see life through His eyes, you appreciate His works, and you enjoy His Word. Is the Lord your Trust today?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2006, 03:50:04 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 40:6-8 Ephesians 6:6

The Heart of the Matter

Read Psalm 40:6-8

"I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart" (v. 8). Ponder that statement. The will of God is not _ something we do; it's something we enjoy and delight in. His will is the expression of His love. He doesn't declare things and do things because He hates us but because He loves us. We may not always understand His ways. Sometimes we may even think that God has forsaken us. But we should love His will. If our hearts are delighting in His will, then we are close to His heart.

God's Word reveals His will. When the Word of God is in our hearts, then the will of God is in our hearts, and we obey Him wholeheartedly. Paul wrote about this in Ephesians 6:6: "Doing the will of God from the heart." It's possible to follow God from the will only: we can be drudges or obedient slaves, performing a duty. Or we can be children who obey out of love for our Father.

The result is that we delight in God's will. Indeed, the heart of the matter is our heart.

Because God's will originates in His heart, we can respond to it emotionally--we can love it. Are you in touch with His will? Do you delight in it? Place the Law in your heart so you may know the will of God and obey it.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the