Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  God's Promises for American Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Promises for American Heroes  (Read 72246 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2006, 11:32:41 AM »

M2M (Man to Man)

Proverb 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

“How do you know what God’s will is for your life?” This was a question from my fellow RI as we sat discussing the Christian life on a mountain in the North Georgia.  That scene has since been repeated hundreds of times with many different men in burger joints and on beaches, road trips and retreats, a Autostrada in Italy and a boat on the Nile.  Helping men who want to grow in their relationship with God.  It’s a discipleship process I call “Man to Man” (or for my wife, Ma’am to Ma’am).  It’s a method that takes time, patience and prayer but the results are a sharper spiritual life that draws men and women closer to God.  In all the church services, all the Sunday School classes, and all the seminary courses, none has impacted my life the way this simple process has.  Whether a peer or mentor, once a week, grab your buddy and some chow, crack open a Bible, and talk about life.  It will definitely sharpen your walk with Christ.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 03, 2006, 01:23:27 PM »

For Meritorious Service

1 Thessalonians 3:13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.

One of the things I’ve enjoyed about the Army is being recognized for doing a good job.  From coins to medals, I could always count on an occasional token of encouragement.  You know it’s the same with serving God.  He rewards His servants with His good blessings.  He promotes us to ranks of greater responsibility in ministry.  He brings people into our lives that encourage and support us.  He provides our needs and demonstrates His love day by day.  We are given greater confidence in our relationship with God.  We can even expect a crown and rewards in the kingdom to come for all eternity (Mt 5:12, Eph 6:8, 1 Cor 9:25).  There is great reward in serving the King of kings.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 04, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »

Consequences

Ezekiel 44:12 But because they served them in the presence of their idols and made the house of Israel fall into sin, therefore I have sworn with uplifted hand that they must bear the consequences of their sin, declares the Sovereign LORD.

The M1A1 was awkwardly sticking out of the hole with its aft end protruding in the air.  Fortunately, the crew had avoided major injury even after their abrupt stop in the darkness.  The tank had plunged into a hole that was dug for enemy tanks eight years prior during the 1st Gulf War.  Here we were, on a simple training exercise in Kuwait, and the enemy was still causing harm to our guys years after official hostilities had ended.  Sin is a lot like that.  It has its immediate effects but it can also have long lasting consequences extending years later.  These consequences not only affect us but can influence the lives of others as well.  We cannot expect God to rescue us from second and third generation repercussions of our mistakes (although often times in His mercy He does).  We must make our decisions in life as though we may have to live with the results for years to come.  Don’t dig holes you’re afraid you may fall into later.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2006, 08:07:06 AM »

Combat Christian:  Day One
Mission Training: Unit One
Navigation 101
Know Where You Are!

Many years ago there was a Navy flight crew that had launched on a very important mission.   Right after takeoff the inertial navigation system experienced a seemingly catastrophic failure.  It looked like all was lost until the gnarly old Master Chief Flight Engineer went back to the Navigator's station to investigate.  After a couple of minutes he made the following comment to the Navigator:  "You know these inertial navigation systems are really smart.  But you have to tell them where they are before you tell them where to go!"  You see the Navigator had aligned the system using the destination coordinates instead of the coordinates for their point of origin.  We too as believers must know where we are before we can know how and where to go.
Key Verse:

"I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.  He will come in and go out, and find pasture."  (John 10:9 NIV)

Anytime I see the word "I am" associated with the words of  God the Father or God the Son it thrills my heart.  For it reminds me of how the blessed Creator identified himself to Moses from the midst of the burning bush.

"God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you." (Exo 3:14 NIV)

It was subsequent to this experience that the name Jehovah, which means "I AM" came into use.  And in the Old Testament we see it often joined with other words in order to describe God as he reveals himself to his people.  An example would be, Jehovah-Shalom, which means I am your peace.

In our key verse we have the words of the Lord Jesus Christ declaring that He is the gate to salvation.  Interestingly enough His very name declares this.  The name Jesus is a contraction of the name Joshua.  Joshua is short for Jehovah-heshua.   Thus the name Jesus declares "I AM your salvation."  Moreover we can see from Scripture that Jesus make reference to this relationship with the "I AM" when He says:

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"   (John 8:58 NIV)

Everyone enters into this wonderful salvation by the same way.  Jesus is the gate.   We all must enter in to His salvation by this gate which is himself.  There is no other way.  In fact we discover, by reading the beginning of John Chapter 10, that to enter in by any other way would make us thieves and robbers.
So What!

When I was a young man I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be a Sea Explorer.  I was a member of Sea Explorer Ship 225, San Pedro, California.  The organization was led by a Navy Warrant Officer named T.N. "Whitey" Chalman, Jr. and his wife.   It was their custom, before we closed any meeting, to gently admonish us to remember who we were and to whom we  belonged.

Before we can enter into the battles of the day we must first recognize who we are and to whom we belong!  Our salvation is in Jesus Christ.  Get it?  Our salvation is a person and He is the Lord Jesus Christ.  Our salvation is not an it.   It is not some mere thing that we can misplace or loose.  We entered into this salvation through the gate provided by this selfsame Jesus.  On this we can depend.   On this we must depend because Jesus is the "gate."  There is no other way.

Said another way:  How can we journey forth into a new day with a new destination until we first know where we are?  How can we know where we are until we know where we have been and how we got there?  We came via a life of sin to the gate of salvation which is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 06, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »

Combat Christian:  Day Two
Mission Training:  Unit One
Navigation 102
Know Where You Are Going!

A long, long time ago in a far away galaxy there was a Navy flight crew that was heading home after a long deployment to Naval Air Station Home Port from a certain island on the pacific rim.   They used the very in-vogue computer generated flight plan, that was the state of the art for the day, to determine their route of flight and fuel requirements.  The weather along their route of flight was notorious for the ability to change without warning.  I guess the forces of nature have never been really big on following what the forecaster predicts.  Instead we usually find that the weather does pretty much what it pleases.  In this case nature delivered a very healthy thunderstorm about the size of Australia.  Consequently the flight crew, suffering from an extreme case of get-home-itis, attempted to climb the aircraft to the maximum attainable altitude in an effort  to get over the weather rather than make a pit stop.  To accomplish this amazing feat of aviation they turned off the engine and propeller anti-ice systems to squeeze out the last available Bernoulli (pound of thrust).  About twenty minutes later the grand silence befell them as three of the four engines flamed out (quit running).  After loosing twenty thousand feet of altitude they were able to stir the languishing horses back to life and finished their journey to Home Port after making an unplanned fuel stop at the island home of the famous Albatross (Gooney Bird).
Key Verse:

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"   (John 14:6 NIV)

It is quite easy for me to look at the aforementioned horror story and equate it to my spiritual life.  When I first met Jesus Christ as my savior I was filled with the same kind of exuberance to be on the journey.  I wanted to get on down the road at the best possible speed.  Yes, I to ran into unexpected heavy weather and nearly crashed and burned.  Why?  Because I was ignorant of the precepts of spiritual travel and navigation.  I had the brazen audacity to think that I could plan my spiritual life as if it were just another mission.

As you can see in Isaiah 35 the flight plan has already been filed and the right amount of fuel is onboard.  We are destined to travel on the "Way of Holiness."

"And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.   The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it.  No lion will be there, nor will any ferocious beast get up on it; they will not be found there.  But only the redeemed will walk there..." (Isa 35:8-9 NIV)

But where can I find this Way?  You already have!  Perhaps it would be better said if the question were phrased:  Who is this Way?  We see by reading the Key Verse from John that Jesus is the Way.  Jesus is the Highway of Holiness.  As we discovered yesterday He is also the on-ramp (gate).  We enter the Way at the Gate which is Calvary.  The Gate where the vilest of sinner may enter into Him who is the Way.

There are many other paths in this world that are available for us to trod.   However, we are not to stray down these bi-paths but are to stay on the "ancient paths."

"Yet my people have forgotten me; they burn incense to worthless idols, which made them stumble in their ways and in the ancient paths.  They made them walk in bypaths and on roads not built up."   (Jer 18:15 NIV)
So What!

As we continue on our journey we will find that we already know the Way because He is our blessed Savior, Jesus Christ.  We are not lost because the Way of Holiness is always before us and He is Truth.  We need not hurry because the Way is already with us and He is life.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 07, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »

Combat Christian:  Day Three
Navigation 103
Course Check

This old and barnacled sailor, perhaps like many of you, has spent many years being evaluated from almost every conceivable aspect.  I have experienced personnel inspections, operational readiness inspections,  promotion exams, in-flight check rides, etc.  The reason for all of these was to determine how I measured up to a given standard.  In each case it was fairly easy for me to see what was expected and how I would be able to meet those expectations.

For the Combat Christian the "highway of holiness" stretches ahead beckoning, "follow me."  In the midst of this journey we must then learn to recognize the bellwethers of the faith.  Our first question of the day should be:  How am I really doing?  The second should be:  Am I allowing Christ to empower me to be all that He wants me to be or Am I striving to live the Christian life in the power of the flesh?  The last question:  How can I tell the difference?
Key Verse:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires."  (Gal 5:22-24 NIV)

When I am looking at my face in the mirror each morning I have made it a habit to ask the first question in light of this passage from Galatians.  Is my life characterized by the "fruit of the Spirit"?  If not, why not?  If I find it hard to discern the contrast I remember the description of the fruit of the flesh in the previous paragraph.

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.  I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."  (Gal 5:19-21 NIV)

It would be easy for me to kid myself and think I was doing pretty well if it weren't for the warning Paul gives to us in the next chapter, "Do not deceive yourselves;  no one make a fool of God, A man will reap exactly what he plants."   (Gal 6:7 TEV)  Since Paul issues a warning it must be pretty obvious that our natural response is to do exactly that, deceive ourselves!
So What!

The answer to the last question:  How can I tell the difference? will depend upon to whom you pose the question.  If you pose the question to yourself you will be deceived.  If on the other hand you pose the question to God you will find the correct answer and thus will know the answer to question one and two.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.   See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.   (Psa 139:23 NIV)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 08, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

Combat Christian:  Day Four
Navigation 104
Deviation Check

Many years ago, when I possessed the bravery of my youth, I was an aircraft navigator on the Douglas A-3D Skywarrior.  It was a monster of an aircraft that weighed in at around 78,000 pounds.  Pretty big to be crashing (making arrested landings) aboard aircraft carriers.  Perhaps that is why it eventually was referred to by its nickname, "Whale."  The Whale was large because one of the original design considerations was that it would be capable of carrying a nuclear weapon.  In those days the weapons  were still quite rotund.

Navigation on long over-water flights, was also a bit more cumbersome than it is today.    Today even automobiles are equipped with global positioning systems (GPS).   But back then we navigated by the stars.  At the beginning of a flight it was necessary to perform a "deviation check" in order to determine the accuracy of all the onboard compass systems.  If this was not performed properly it would be possible to end up off course without even knowing it.  Well, low and behold, along came a flight crew that was on a celestial navigation training flight with a student navigator.  The Instructor Pilot, being a steely-eyed naval aviator of some renown, decided to slew the compass system (induce an error into the system) in an attempt to fool the would-be Navigator.  You guessed it!  The crafty pilot forgot how much he slewed the system and they eventually became lost and had to bailout over open ocean.
Key Verse:

"...and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem."  (Acts 9:2 NIV)

"But some of them became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way.  So Paul left them. He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus." (Acts 19:9 NIV)

"About that time there arose a great disturbance about the Way." (Acts 19:23 NIV)

"I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison..." (Acts 22:4 NIV)

"However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets..." (Acts 24:14 NIV)

"Then Felix, who was well acquainted with the Way, adjourned the proceedings. "When Lysias the commander comes," he said, "I will decide your case." (Acts 24:22 NIV)

At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.  Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.   All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.  Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Mat 11:25-30 NIV)

We learned on "Day One" that Jesus is the Door and on "Day Two" that Jesus is the Way.   The reality of the situation is that a great many of us have entered in by the "Door" and have managed to miss the "Highway of Holiness" altogether.   We lay in the ditch wondering how we got there.  What happened?  We forgot to do a deviation check.  We thought we were on course but were actually lost.   This happens because we make other things in life the way (deviation).   Prayer, Bible study, worship, the Church and fellowship are all part of the actions of the believer but they are not the Way!   None of these things will cleanse my sinners heart or give me peace!!!  In fact the mere doing of these things, apart from the Way, becomes an arduous burden and life crushing weight.
So What!

Many years ago a new believer asked me why the excitement and fervor had gone out of his Christian experience?  He said it was as if he had been sitting in a tub of hot water that had slowly become cool to the senses.  DEV CHECK!!!!  The actions of the Christian experience are NOT the way to Christ!!!  Jesus Christ is the Way to the actions of the Christian experience.  The Spirit of Christ empowers the Christian life.  When Christ is near the Scriptures sing an unforgettable chorus.  When Christ is near worship lifts the heart to flight.  When Christ is near we are drawn to prayer.   When Christ is near the Church abounds in perfect unity.  When I am in the ditch I look for my compass!!  Jesus is the Way (Highway of Holiness) and the on-ramp is at the foot of the Calvary Cross.

"There is a fountain filled with blood, drawn from Immanuel's veins;
and sinners plunge beneath that flood, loose all their guilty stains."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 09, 2006, 07:37:05 AM »

Combat Christian:  Day Five
Fitness Training 101
Personal Wellness

Have you ever met a new believer who had such energy and exuberance that you would swear they must be plugged into an electrical outlet?  Then a few weeks or months down the road you begin to observe the energy begin to fade and their daily life no longer seems to shine as it once did.  In the Navy we would say that person is all hawse pipe and no keel or all chrome and no steel.

What if, as a Christian, I spend too much time and energy on my exterior?  I am talking about that part of me that I show to the world.  Christians are expected to look and act a certain way. Even among ourselves we maintain appearances.  It would be very easy for me to put on my Sunday face and appear to be something that I'm not.  Armed with everything I have heard at Sunday service, seen on Christian television, and read in Christian books I could venture forth into this world displaying a face that glows in the dark.  Now I'm "looking good."  I really have it "made in the shade," right?
Key Verse:

"If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth." (I John 1:6 NAS)

How does shade fit into this verse? The darkness mentioned in this verse represents sin.  I believe that anything in my life that prevents fellowship with God is sin.  Within this definition, sin may not appear as darkness.  It might appear as shade or even light. But God is not a half-stepper, "...God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all." (1 ;John 1:5b NAS)  If I am not walking fully in His light, then I am walking in darkness.

How can I use this in my life each day?  Let me try to explain. Flashlights are familiar objects to all of us.  They're made up of batteries, a bulb, and a switch.  Turn on the switch and light emanates from the bulb.  But what happens, if the switch is left on too long?  The light grows dim.  Why?  Some would say that the batteries are weak.  I think it is because they are full of darkness.  Batteries, contrary to popular belief, are dark absorbers.  I am also an absorber.  God wants me to be full of light, but I can absorb anything I choose.  Now if the battery in my car goes dead, I may be able to start the engine by getting a "jump start" from another battery.  But this will be only temporary if my car's charging system is inoperable.  Likewise, if I do not make time each day for fellowship with the Lord Jesus, I am depending on a "jump start" instead of plugging into the Source.
So What!

When I became a Christian, I discovered the ministries of the Holy Spirit.  First, He came to live inside me (indwelling).  Second, I learned that if I asked, He would fill me with His presence (filling). However, here is a key problem.  I can't be full of light if I am, already full of shade; "but if I confess my sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9).  Having been cleansed by God Himself, there is room to be filled with His light, and I can have fellowship with Him, "...and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ." (I John 1:3b)  He speaks to my heart through prayer.  He feeds me through His Holy Word.  If I fellowship with the Television instead of the Master, I have in effect chosen the sun lamp instead of the SON LAMP.  The tan may look the same, but we know it was made in the shade.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2006, 12:29:10 PM »

Combat Christian:  Day Six
Pre-flight Inspection 101
Survival Equipment Check

I remember, in the early days of my naval career, learning a very valuable lesson at someone else's expense. A combat aircrew returned to Naval Air Station Home Port from a routine training flight. As soon as they had shut down the engines and exited the aircraft they were swiftly captured by a security team and whisked away for a little impromptu survival training. For two days they would have to survive in the wilderness with only the equipment contained in the survival vest they were wearing. By the time they finished they fully comprehended the importance of each item and the potential effect if absent or damaged.

As believers, we must be conscience of the fact that we are in a battle.  Going into combat without a helmet or flack jacket is a great way to become a casualty.  Yet, how often do we enter into a new day sans armor (without armor)?  Hence, we find that the Apostle Paul had good reason to exhort us to put on God's armor.
Key Verse:

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."   (Eph 6:10 NIV)
So What!
I have heard a great many sermons on the need to put on the armor of God.  However, not one of these teachings ever broached the subject as to how to accomplish this feat.  I found the answer while driving back to a conference facility after dropping off some of our membership at the airport.  One of my longtime friends and brother in the faith had given me a tape to listen to on the trip.  There was a particular song by the group "Harvest" that really struck me when I heard it.  The first verse went: "Are we walking into the enemy's camp laying our weapons down, shedding our armor as we go leaving it on the ground, we've got to be strong in the power of His might to prove to the enemy, we are the army of the Lord and we've won the victory."  Can you imagine going into battle and removing your armor and dropping your weapons?  This is contrary to everything a warrior has been taught.  Then the  light came on!  In order to put on the armor of God I must first take of my own!!!!  I must be naked of all of my own defenses in order to wear the armor of light.  I must trust Christ to be my defense!  How do I take off my own armor?  As always Paul has answered the question ahead of time in chapter 4.

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."  (Eph 4:22-23 NIV)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 11, 2006, 06:00:20 AM »

Combat Christian:  Day Seven
Fitness Training 102
Spiritual Fitness

There once was a revelation from nature that slapped me up beside the head one Autumn day while looking at the trees in my back yard.  The leaves that were once on the trees were now on the ground! Perhaps that is why the other name for Autumn is Fall (Duh!).  This was my first experience at watching the seasons come and go.  I had spent my life on the West Coast where the seasons are but two.  I noticed that in the span of a few days the Apple tree in my back yard had gone from robust and full of greenery to something stark and bare. The leaves, that were once a blessing of shade to me, were now withered and lie motionless on the lawn. Where once they soared to and fro in the cool mountain breeze they were now strewn about in heaps as if huddled in helplessness.
Key Verse

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.   He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."  (Psalms 1:1-3 NIV)

If there is anything from this key verse that has gripped me, it would be the phrase "whose leaf does not wither." You guessed it! Another bellwether of the Christian faith! Can I characterize my life as being full of health and vigor? As those who are charged by our duty to be constantly in a state of combat readiness, we already know the value of regular physical training. However, as believers, do we engage in the same kind of tenacious activity that will allow us to be spiritually combat ready?
So What!

It would appear to me that I should be "delighting in the law of the Lord."   Why, because I love to meditate there day and night.  As a result I look like a tree that has been planted by a river yielding fruit.  If not, then I should be on my knees asking to be pruned by the master arborist confessing that my leaves are withered.  Share this struggle with another believer so that they can pray for you! 

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.   (James 5:16 NIV)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:51 AM »

Combat Christian:  Day Eight
Mission Training
Pre-flight Inspection 102
Non-destructive Testing

In times gone past I do recall an occasion when what my eyes beheld as something solid in fact was not.  It probably would not have been as shocking had I discovered this lack of rigidity in another place and time.  However, I had discovered it on the wing of the airplane I was about to use to leap into the sky.  I had been inspecting the top of the wing and had found my boot sticking through a hole where I had just stepped on what I thought was solid aluminum.  Right there in the here and now was an example of, what was later to be identified as, inter-granular corrosion.  It occurs because the aluminum alloy itself is, by its nature, unstable and starts the corrosion process as soon as it is manufactured.  You could say that it possesses an inherent defect.  Fortunately an x-ray of the spot in question revealed that the defect was localized and could be repaired.
Key Verse:

"And just as many men were made sinners as the result of the disobedience of one man, in the same way many will be put right with God as the result of the obedience of the one man."  Romans 5:19 (TEV)

As Christians we begin our lives worried more about doing than being.  We gauge our lives by what we have done rather than by who we are.  When we think of ourselves in light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ we discover that we are sinners.  We are not sinners because we commit sins!  However, on the contrary, we sin because we are sinners.  We have an inherent defect!  We are sinners at the chromosome level rather than by mere action.  As we go about our day trying to please the Lord, we find that something in us does not want to cooperate.  When we try to be loving we find that inside us we actually feel very unloving.  This reveals to us very clearly the way we really are!  What are we to do?  Paul says, "What shall we say, then?  That we should continue to live in sin so that God's grace will increase?  Certainly not!  We have died to sin-how then can we go on living in it?" Romans 6:1 (TEV)
So What!

Since we entered into this state (of being sinners) by our very birth the only way we can be delivered is by our death.  We cannot do this by trying to kill ourselves, although our actions seem to say that we believe this is possible.  But God has already prepared the way!!!  We want to find a way to get rid of our sin.  However, God's way is to get rid of the sinner!  In our case the x-ray (God's light) reveals that the corrosion is not local but endemic!  "For surely you know this: when we were baptized into union with Christ Jesus, we were baptized into union with his death.  By our baptism, then, we were buried with him and shared his death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from death by the glorious power of the Father, so also we might live a new life."  Romans 6:3-4 (TEV)

We cannot do for ourselves that which has already been done for us in Christ Jesus.  "For if we became one with him in dying as he did, in the same way we shall be one with him by being raised to life as he was.  And we know this: our old being has been put to death with Christ on his cross, in order that the power of the sinful self might be destroyed, so that we should no longer be the slaves of sin."  Romans 6:5-6 (TEV)

There is nothing I can do to rid myself of this sinful nature!  The first step of my journey is in the "knowing!"  "For surely you know this...", not because Bob said so, or because you read it in the Bible, but because the Holy Spirit revealed it to you in the center of your being!

Hudson Taylor, the founder of the China Inland Mission once said:

"I have not got to make myself a branch.  The Lord Jesus tells me I am a branch.  I am part of him and I have just to believe it and act upon it.  I have seen it long enough in the Bible, but I believe it now as a living reality."

Do you know this?  Or are you trying to make your way into a room in which you already are?  If you know not, confess your lack of knowing to the God who knows already!  He is waiting with open arms for you who are "in union with Christ Jesus."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 13, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »

Special Forces:  Day Nine
Basic Training: Unit Two
Fitness Training
Pain Builds Character

This was a favorite saying of an "A" team operations sergeant I once worked with.  I was on his team.  We mostly heard it uttered in the middle of rigorous physical training, heavy breathing and lots of sweat, not to mention the body aches.  The training was  hard, but it was worth it in both physical and mental terms.  Our team sergeant was teaching us the art of self-discipline.  He was also helping us to learn that this lesson comes with a cost.  After we had paid that cost, the result was that we were prepared physically and mentally to handle any mission!

What a contrast between the picture above and the multitude of media commercials advertising great bodies with little or no impact, and certainly no pain in the process!  Effortless machines, miracle diets and magic pills, and even electric belts that you wear to stimulate muscle activity while you watch your favorite television program.  It must sell, because they keep advertising! What's the goal?  A beautiful body for the time being that's eventually going to get old and wrinkled anyway!
Key Verses

"Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." 1 Corinthians 9:25 (NIV)

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11 (NIV)

When I look at all the 'Christian' programming we have available, I see the same thing at work.  It's sad, even tragic, that so often we want our Christianity the same way - no impact.  We can hear about salvation without repentance, the love of Jesus without having to admit your true condition as sinners.  We can throw God's money away in the direction of those who would tell us how to receive our miracles and how to claim our rights as king's kids.  We can shop for churches down the street like we shop for shoes, trying them on until we find the one that fits our chosen lifestyle; one that helps us feel good about ourselves and call it spiritual growth.
So What?

True athletes are the ones who endure the pain and discipline of hard training and maybe even emerge one day in the Olympics.  Those athletes know the value of hard training and discipline, whether it's initiated by their coaches or from the wellsprings of internal dedication.  It is the same for us as Christians.  We can welcome discipline from the Master and hardships on the road of life as valuable lessons on the path to the 'crown that will last forever'.

Now that we have settled the attitude question, we need a coach.  I can recommend a great coach - the Bible!

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16,17 (NKJV)

Be encouraged, brothers and sisters! Let God give you the desire to reach for the prize and listen to the coach!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 14, 2006, 07:53:59 AM »

Special Forces:  Day Ten
Unit Cohesion
The Buddy System

For as far back in the military as I remember, all the way to basic training in fact, there was some sort of buddy system in place.  We didn't have formal 'Battle Buddies' like today's Army basic training but the system was definitely in place.  There has always been a buddy system in Ranger and Scuba schools, we had a system in Special Forces training, and we always operated in pairs on the battlefield or in hostile territory.  A 'Lone Ranger' mentality had no place and 'solo' missions were extremely rare.  Maybe that's why I have a problem with the current advertisements that tell prospective recruits they can be an "Army of One".

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense for any number of reasons.  You can watch each other's back, help each other get through tough situations, test each other's skills, treat each other's wounds, not to mention be each other's companion on and off the battlefield.  In the world of Special Forces, there were always two men with the same primary specialty on an 'A' team. A 12-man team was capable of operating as a pair of equally qualified 6-man teams, with three two man teams on each split detachment.
Key Verse:

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17 (NIV)

"After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them out two by two…" Luke 10:1-2a (NIV)

"For where two or three come together in my name, there I am with them." Matthew 18:20 (NIV)

The same buddy principle is important for Christian men and women.  My experience is that I have always walked my best Christian walk when I had at least one solid brother in faith to walk along with me.  In contrast, I have made my worst mistakes and stumbled most often when I tried to walk alone.  Having a 'buddy' helps keep you 'sharp' as a Christian in a variety of ways. We seem to walk much closer to God when we hold ourselves accountable to another person.  We have someone with whom to share our successes and failures, our joys and sorrows, our cares and worries.

According to the book of Luke, the buddy principle was also good enough for the Lord himself!  The Master didn't just choose the big twelve we are so familiar.  He appointed others and sent them ahead of him to every place he was going to visit, sort of advance teams.  Luke tells us they healed the sick and told the local citizens the kingdom was near.  It sounds like these advance teams were to begin harvesting and prepare things for the arrival of Jesus.  And don't forget prayer teams!
So What?

I remember Georg (no 'e'), Daryl, Juan, Wally, Kingsley, and other men whose names I can't even remember at the moment.  In addition, there are some mighty fine Chaplains that have helped me along the way.

Who has been your companion as you have walked your Christian path?  Have you had a 'buddy' or two? If you haven't thought about it lately, stop and reflect for a moment.  Also reflect for a moment on the quality of your Christian walk when you had a 'buddy' and when you tried going solo.  Did that special companion come along as a result of direct prayer on your part, just show up in a time of need, or did God just plant him or her in your path when you were doing your best Lone Ranger imitation.  I've seen them all.  Each one has been a blessing and a 'sharpening stone'.

Where are you today?  Are you flying solo or with a 'buddy', a personal 'sharpening stone' and fellow laborer?  My prayer for you today is that you are not walking alone.  If you are, my prayer is that God might send someone to walk alongside you!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »

Special Forces:  Day Eleven
Nutrition 101
Proper Diet

We all know the proper diet is important.  Moms take great pains to provide their children with the right foods that contain all right vitamins and minerals.  I remember food groups from health class and the balanced diets placards in the school cafeterias.  When I was a young single soldier living in the barracks and eating in the dining facility, a well-balanced diet was again available to me.  I think all of the military services provide the troops the opportunity to have a well balanced, low cost diet.

To remain fit for SF and maintain the high state of physical fitness required to remain among the 'elite of the elite', I learned to really watch my diet.  Over time, when I saw the results of maintaining a proper diet mixed with regular rigorous physical training, I actually developed a stronger desire for all the right stuff.  Good eating habits resulted from setting personal performance goals.  As a result, I could really tell when I was "off my feed."
Key Verse:

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16,17 (NKJV)

"Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NIV)

"And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the breaking of bread and to prayer." Acts 2:42 (NIV)

As a Christian, I need the proper diet from the right food groups.  We also need good self-discipline in order to maintain our 'spiritual' diet.  I suspect that we all  have a tendency to go for cake, ice cream and all sorts of unhealthy food.  We 'eat' the wrong stuff and forget about what we really need.  Without a conscious effort on my part my spirit could starve!  Friends, I've been there and done that!
So What!

In the above verses I underlined what I consider the three main spiritual food groups:  scripture, prayer and fellowship with other believers.  I need to read God's word and learn from it, I need to have frequent conversations with my Lord and I need the fellowship and companionship of other believers.

As Christians we're all sailing in the same boat.  The same Holy Spirit lives in all of us and gives us a desire to eat right.  To remain fit for Kingdom service, we have the same needs.  So I pause and ask myself, "How am I doing?"  If I do not have the desire for scripture, prayer and fellowship, I must realize that there must be a reason!  Guess where I will find that reason?  In what I eat!

Friend, how are you doing?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 16, 2006, 07:25:19 AM »

Special Forces:  Day Twelve
Leadership 101
The Example of Others

One of the main subjects taught at military leadership schools revolves around leadership traits and principles.  When I was struggling through university level studies for a management degree we discussed leadership from the private sector corporate perspective, with all the latest buzzwords and techniques.  At one point we had a homework assignment to think of someone we considered a leader and be able to share our thoughts with the class at the next session.  I listened quietly during my classmates' offerings of familiar historical figures then took my turn.

"His name was Paul,."  I began. "Paul who?" I was asked.  In reply, I talked about a man I read about who traveled around Asia and parts of Europe, starting churches just about everywhere he went.  Not only did he start churches, he followed up on their progress after he left town and wrote letters back to those churches as sort of an progress check.  I love the way Paul would say something good to folks to lift their spirits before he eased into areas for improvement.  NCO School taught me the same thing!
Key Verse:

"I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. In him you have been enriched in every way - in all your speaking and in all your knowledge - because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you." 1 Corinthians 1:4-6 (NIV)

"My brothers, some in Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you." v.11

This chapter of Corinthians continues with Paul's advice to the church concerning a lot of problems they were having.  Paul fearlessly spread the Gospel, planted churches and helped them grow.  Some of his letters were written from prison!  He never lost sight of his mission, and never quit!
So What!

The Bible is full of practical wisdom for daily living, along with examples of real people in real situations, successes and failures, struggles and triumphs.  The Apostle Paul is just one example.  From Christian hater to dedicated missionary - what a biography!

It seemed natural to discuss Paul's leadership skills with others in the classroom.  I talked about someone I admired and planted some seeds at the same time.  Who knows, maybe someone was inspired to read more of the Bible for themselves!

More than that, what is my attitude about sharing the Gospel? Am I eager to share things of God and the wisdom of scripture, or do I hesitate for fear of what others might think?  Can I truly agree with Paul?

"...I am eager to preach the gospel to you are at Rome." I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..." Romans 1:15,16 (NIV)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the