Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:34:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  God's Promises for American Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Promises for American Heroes  (Read 72166 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36:26 AM »

The Choice Has Been Made

Deuteronomy 20:2-4 When you are about to go into battle, the priest shall come forward and address the army. He shall say: "Hear, O Israel, today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not be terrified or give way to panic before them. For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."

I was standing next the Commander of our MLRS Battery who had received orders to aim his missiles at Iraq.  The troops stood before their chaplain wide eyed and prepared to perform their mission.   They asked me to offer prayers for God’s protection and guidance.  Operation Desert Fox had begun.  Just another response to Sadaam’s continued defiance since Operation Desert Storm. Last night the Second Gulf War started after months (even years) of failed diplomacy.  Now the soldier’s work has begun.  The task to liberate the people of Iraq and eliminate a regime that threatens the world has fallen into their capable hands.  Let us all pray once again as our military enters into harms way.  Lord, give them strength, courage, and wisdom.  Make them swift, overwhelming, and awesome.  And Father, restore peace to the Iraqi people and the world as quickly as possible.  LORD, go before us in victory.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 19, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »

Standing Ready

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words.

Before I joined the Army I thought that soldiers woke up when reveille was played.  I would soon find out that I would wake up long before the 0600 bugle call.  Normally, we had already conducted first call and an accountability formation prior to hearing the first note.  Then we stood quietly in formation at Parade Rest ready to be brought to Attention and render the proper honors to our Nation’s Colors as they rose for the day and the playing of reveille.  We weren’t getting out of bed that time; we were up, alert, and prepared for the call.  Another bugle call we need to be ready for is the trumpet call of God.  Jesus taught many parables in which He exhorts us to be ready and alert for the time of His second coming and the gathering of His people (Matthew 24-25).  Stand Ready.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 20, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »

Temporary Blindness

Mark 10:51 "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him.  The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."

It was my second jump in Airborne School and I couldn’t see a thing.  Shortly after I exited the aircraft I was enveloped in green nylon.  I had collided with a fellow jumper’s canopy.  I frantically looked about me only to be totally blindfolded by parachute.  Suddenly I popped out and I could see again.  I quickly slipped away and breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Most of us have the blessing of sight but there are occasions when we are struck with a temporary spiritual blindness.  We fail to see God’s hand in the tough times or we are tempted and walk in darkness.  We lose our way as we begin to doubt, groping in discouragement.  The remedy for this temporary blindness is to turn to Christ to open our spiritual eyes.  As the song says “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.” (Helen H. Lemmel)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 21, 2006, 03:33:20 PM »

Helicopters and Babies

Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us

“Whiskey One Five, Stand by, Aircraft is inbound” my radio crackled.  I thought, “We still have 30 minutes till RI change over.”  I got on the radio, “This is Whisky One Five, SITREP, Over.”  “Your wife is having a baby, that’s what!”  I gave my fellow RI the student’s evaluation reports as the Blackhawk landed on the LZ.  We flew over the camp where I thought I’d get in my car and drive to the hospital, but we kept flying.  We landed right on Dahlonega hospital’s helipad and I jumped out camouflage, rucksack and all.  I ran into the maternity ward for the much-expected arrival of my first-born.  I had been praying for his birth for months but I never expected my ride to the hospital to be so exciting.  The events around my son’s birth demonstrated to me that God is able do to above and beyond my wildest expectations. Both of my sons are living proof to that fact.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 22, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »

Sick Call

Matthew 9:12 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.”

An interesting quirk about being in the Infantry was the pride we put in the ability to be sick and yet, not go to sick call.  I could be running a fever, have a broken bone, or be half dead, but unless someone ordered me to go see the medics, it wasn’t going to happen.  That’s what you call crossing the fine line between hardcore and stupid.  I have since learned if you’re sick, go see the Doc!  I’ve learned that lesson spiritually as well.  Jesus gets on the religious leaders of his time because they thought they had a healthy relationship with God.  But, because of their spiritual arrogance they were actually very sick.  We cannot allow our spiritual pride to keep us from seeing the Great Physician.   Acknowledge your sin and weaknesses and He will heal you.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 23, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »

I Choose Freedom

John 8:31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

American’s prize their freedom.  Our country was built upon this foundational and noble pursuit. We expect it, we’ll fight for it, and we’ll even die for it.  We place the highest value on freedom.  So does Jesus.  He showed us the way to true and lasting freedom.  If we live our lives in accordance with His instructions, we will know truth and it will set us free.  Freedom will always come at a price though.  Spiritual freedom costs us our supreme allegiance and obedience to the only one that can truly give it, Jesus Christ.  As we pursue our national freedoms and liberty for others, let’s be just as diligent to secure our own spiritual freedom by following Christ.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2006, 12:06:33 PM »

Conflicting Counsel

Psalm 1:1-2 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

In the middle of the night we came to the top of Yellow Mountain and the ranger students started heading the wrong way.  I stopped the Patrol Leader and asked him if he knew where he was going (a subtle RI hint that you’re going the wrong way).  This developed into a full scale meeting with the Squad Leaders under the poncho for lights and maps and debate.  When he emerged from the midst of his counselors he declared, “Yes Sergeant, we are going the right way.”  I then pointed at the trail sign that I just happened to be standing by the whole time, which clearly showed the right direction.  Even with all that prompting, he elected to take his fellow student’s advice and off we went into dinosaur land.  Who are your counselors or advisors?  Do they give intelligent upright advice or do they steer you into the “land of the lost?”  Choose your advisors wisely and remember the Word of God is always a trustworthy counselor.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2006, 05:06:22 PM »

Bayonet or Scalpel

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

I was conducting individual movements techniques from tree to tree to avoid being tagged by the OPFOR.  After one 3-second rush, I felt a very sharp pain in my kneecap.  I looked down and saw a 6-inch piece of metal stuck in my leg.  When I reach the Physician Assistant, he had to perform minor surgery to remove the object.  Although the whole thing was painful I’m glad it was the doctor’s scalpel and not my buddies’ bayonet doing the cutting.  The Word of God is more like a scalpel.  It is sharp and precise, cutting only what needs to be opened and removing only that which is harmful.  It is used for the purpose of healing rather than destroying.  And yet the cutting must take place, sometimes deeply, before the healing begins.  Keep reading the Word of God and allow it to perform its healing incisions in your life.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 26, 2006, 10:46:14 AM »

Repetition

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

One of the frustrating things about being a private was being reminded of the same things over and over again.  Simple things like setting up a Claymore mine, aiming my weapon correctly or digging a fighting position.  Over and over again, I was trained in basic tasks and I would complain that I could do these things in my sleep.  And that was the method to the madness, to be able to perform “even in my sleep.”  Repetition had turned essential tasks into instinct.  The same can be done with the basics of the Christian life.  As we practice the disciplines of prayer, Scripture reading, sharing our faith with others, we become proficient at the very things that draw us closer to God.  Even our children benefit as they see the Christian life lived out consistently before them.  Repetition works!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »

Being Fully Equipped

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

There is no doubt as the Second Gulf War is prosecuted that the United States Military is thoroughly equipped.  Everything from aircraft, to ships, to tanks, even to the individual soldier on the ground, the equipment, training, and people are the finest in the world.  And in a time of war, we wouldn’t have it any other way.  But with all our military might, how do we match up in spiritual power?  Am I fully equipped to do good works and win the spiritual battles in my own life?  There is a way to ensure I’m at 100% Operational Readiness and that’s to spend time in God’s Word.  I need to hear it, read it, study it, memorize it, and meditate on it.  Then I will be fully equipped for every good work and the spiritual battles the lie before me.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »

The Divine Signature Block

John 16:24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

As the Operation Sergeant it was much easier to get things done.  Working on the commander’s staff, I wasn’t asking for material or help on my own behalf; it was always on behalf of the Colonel.   It was his name and signature on the bottom of the paperwork.  It was his position and authority that warranted the attention of those who received the request.  The same is true when we pray to the Father.  Jesus tells us to pray in His name and it is by His name that the Father hears our prayers.  Christ holds the supreme position of sitting at God’s right-hand and preeminent authority as intercessor for the believer.  When we pray, we receive in the name of Jesus Christ.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 29, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »

Submitted Those Supply Requests

Matthew 7:7-8  Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

One of my primary duties as a Platoon Sergeant was getting the “Beans and Bullets” for my troops.  I would submit daily resupply requests and status reports.  One thing I could count on, no request, no supplies.  And if you want to go from hero to zero, let your troopers go hungry.  So you can bet I always made sure I got those requests in.  Our heavenly Father wants our supply requests too.  He has encouraged us to come to Him and ask for the things that we need and even the desires of our hearts.  So submit those spiritual supply requests daily.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 30, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »

Rank has its Privileges

Ephesians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

I remember watching the sergeants when I was a private and thinking, “I’m going to be a sergeant someday so I don’t have to rake these pine-needles anymore and I can just supervise.”  Now, looking back, I see that although being a sergeant wasn’t easy, having the rank and position did have its advantages.  Being promoted yielded the fruits of better pay, more responsibility, job satisfaction, and a greater since of accomplishment. The same is true with our position in Christ.  When we receive Christ as our personal Savior, we also inherit all the rights and privileges that come with this relationship.  And as we continue to grow in our faith we see even greater benefits of being in Christ and serving Him.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:38 AM »

Hungry?

1 Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk [of the Word], so that by it you may grow up in your salvation.

Have you ever been real hungry?  I’m not talking “just a little late for supper” hungry.  I’m talking real hungry!  Like “several days with just the bear minimum” kind of hungry.  That’s the kind of hunger that starts to have a dominating effect on the body, soul, and mind.  In Ranger School, I got to the point where every spare moment was spent fantasizing about food.  I would envision all kinds of wonderful concoctions I would make when I graduated.  Like a vanilla milk shake with M&Ms, cashews, and peanut butter. In the Florida Phase we had to cross a road and I saw a Big Mac wrapper.  I thought I was going to die. I would dream about food, think about food, and long for food.  That’s the kind of hunger we need to develop for the Word of God.  A desire that is so overwhelming we can’t wait till the next time we get to read it.  Like a baby for milk, like a Ranger Student for chow, crave the Word of God.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »

Ever Eat Snake?

Matthew 7:9-11 "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

I was preparing a live fire ambush with my squad when a big Bull Snake slithered into our presence.  Seeing the opportunity for some good training, I pounced on the poor critter and I was cooking him over a small fire in minutes.  As the guys learned how to dress, prepare, and eat their little survival meal, not one of them asked for seconds.  I think I can speak for all of them, I’d rather have steak than snake any day. And you know, our heavenly Father realizes that.  He knows what our desires are and He is well aware of our needs.  God is a good Father who gives good gifts to His children.  Don’t be afraid to ask Him for the desires of your heart.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the