Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Jesus was rich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus was rich  (Read 2534 times)
TruthSeeker

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2005, 04:22:30 PM »

I got such a shock when I heard a preacher said that "Jesus was rich ... that as a carpenter and son of carpenter, he was rich because carpenters used to have plenty of houses and "make big bucks"... Jesus had a big house and he had so much money that he needed someone (Judas) to take care of his money ...

I can't believe that ... I don't need a Master Degree in Theology to see that doesn't look right ....

I can't believe that ministers use such lies to justify their creed and their luxurious lifestyle.

I can't believe that leaders don't care about misleading the People of God like that Cry

This hurt my heart so bad!!!  Cry  Cry   Cry
TEXASGRANDMA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:25:44 AM »

sounds like WOF Preacher.   Sad

hugs and prayers,
Betty
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:05:54 AM »

sounds like WOF Preacher.   Sad

Yup, i can think of two WOF preachers who have actually said that.
LittlePilgrim

Little pilgrim, walking down the road of life...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 04:15:58 PM »

How can it be claimed that Jesus was rich when even He Himself said that He was not?

For I am only human, not some hero of the faith/ I'm merely an example of God's mercy and His grace/ I keep my eyes on Jesus when my gains become a loss/ As I stumble to the cross. -Stumble, Timothy Mark
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 05:08:52 PM »

The most common buidling material was that of stone not wood. Carpenters would have been employed in framing for the roofs of houses, doors and frames, tables, beds, objects for the culinary arts such as turned bowls and cups and other utensils. Objects for the farm were also needed, such as yokes and plows and then in art of ship building.

The area that Jesus grew up in was a very small populated area. A carpenter that was full time employed as a carpenter would not necessarily be rich but they would be considered middle income.

We know however that Jesus was not a full time carpenter. From about the age of 12 he spent most of His time in the synagogues about His fathers business.

We also know that Jesus led by example and He taught His disciples to give away all they owned and to follow Him.

However Jesus was rich but not in the worldly sense of the word. He did not need silver or gold or other worldly posessions. His kingdom was richer than all worldly kingdoms put together.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 05:14:57 PM »

However Jesus was rich but not in the worldly sense of the word. He did not need silver or gold or other worldly posessions. His kingdom was richer than all worldly kingdoms put together.

Amen, I was thinking of the song, mighty wealthy fellow, that my dad used to sing all time.

"My Father owns the heavens
My Father owns this earth,
I'm His child, so I'm His air,
And I don't even know how much I'm worth.

Can't you see the river flowing,
out to meet the sea...

I'm a mighty mighty wealthy fellow,
They all belong to me!!!

Wink

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 05:23:53 PM »

AMEN and AMEN again!!!

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »

Actuallyi, Jesus was indeed rich. The Word says he was:

2Co 8:9  For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

However, he became poor so WE could become rich!!!!!

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
Frederic Dalton

favorite translations: Message, NIV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 08:30:10 AM »

2Co 8:9  For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
Why is it that whenever I hear that verse, I immediately think of the subject of welfare reform?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »

Brothers,

I think of the old song, "He's got the whole world in His Hands".

We are talking about the Creator and Ruler of the Universe. There are no riches in this world in comparison.

Now, I think about THE LORD OF HOSTS humbling Himself and taking the form of an ordinary man to live and die for us. He has many names, but just think about the KING OF KINGS dying on the cross for you and me. HE didn't have to, and HE could have destroyed the earth with a single breath, but HE suffered the death of crucifixion in our place. HE really became much less than poor for us. It's the direct opposite of what men think things should be like or what they have been like - an ordinary man dies for the King - not the other way around. BUT, JESUS CHRIST was the only perfect and Holy sacrifice who could rescue us from the curse of sin and death. JESUS CHRIST wasn't just the King, rather the KING OF KINGS, VERY GOD!, and HE died in our place for us.

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 3:19-20 NASB  The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens.  By His knowledge the deeps were broken up And the skies drip with dew.

Frederic Dalton

favorite translations: Message, NIV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »

We are talking about the Creator and Ruler of the Universe. There are no riches in this world in comparison.
That's a very very good point indeed. Whether he was rich in a material sense or not basically makes no difference, in my opinion, because he was the King above all Kings. He was basically the big cheese - but he gave that up for us, to save us from our sins. Indeed - the fact that he became human in the first place is one of the things that arguably made him "poor". Anyone who doesn't understand that may have missed the point of the Gospel, in my opinion.

But if it helps for you to believe that he was rolling in bling during his life before giving it up, then that's fine, the Gospel absolutely does not exclude that belief, in my opinion. Perhaps that makes your faith stronger than mine, because you believe he gave up more than I think he gave up, despite the fact that maybe a few billion dollars doesn't really matter when you're the king of the universe - but on the other hand, perhaps your faith is like mine, that he never had to prove he had loads of money, power or influence in human terms in the first place, so as to make him more truly human like you or me, and the rest of the would-be trailer park trash who got lucky.

The fact that he was born in a stable suggests to me that he has more in common with you and me than he has with, say, Bill Gates - but if you want to believe he was secretly hoarding the gold before giving it up for us, then that's fine too. I honestly think it doesn't matter, it's not central to Christian faith, and either way, I encourage you to keep and strengthen your faith.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 11:08:22 PM »

Frederic, worldly things, don't matter. Let me put it to you this way. Can you take a treasure to the grave? no you can't. The treasures Jesus gives us, we can take beyond the grave.

Proverbs 15:6 In the house of the [uncompromisingly] righteous is great [priceless] treasure, but with the income of the wicked is trouble and vexation.

Isaiah 33:6 And there shall be stability in your times, an abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the reverent fear and worship of the Lord is your treasure and His.

Mark 10:21 And Jesus, looking upon him, loved him, and He said to him, You lack one thing; go and sell all you have and give [the money] to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come [and] accompany Me [ walking the same road that I walk].

James 5:3 Your gold and silver are completely rusted through, and their rust will be testimony against you and it will devour your flesh as if it were fire. You have heaped together treasure for the last days.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Deuteronomy 10:19 Therefore love the stranger and sojourner, for you were strangers and sojourners in the land of Egypt.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 11:43:19 PM »

That's a very very good point indeed. Whether he was rich in a material sense or not basically makes no difference, in my opinion, because he was the King above all Kings. He was basically the big cheese - but he gave that up for us, to save us from our sins. Indeed - the fact that he became human in the first place is one of the things that arguably made him "poor". Anyone who doesn't understand that may have missed the point of the Gospel, in my opinion.

But if it helps for you to believe that he was rolling in bling during his life before giving it up, then that's fine, the Gospel absolutely does not exclude that belief, in my opinion. Perhaps that makes your faith stronger than mine, because you believe he gave up more than I think he gave up, despite the fact that maybe a few billion dollars doesn't really matter when you're the king of the universe - but on the other hand, perhaps your faith is like mine, that he never had to prove he had loads of money, power or influence in human terms in the first place, so as to make him more truly human like you or me, and the rest of the would-be trailer park trash who got lucky.

The fact that he was born in a stable suggests to me that he has more in common with you and me than he has with, say, Bill Gates - but if you want to believe he was secretly hoarding the gold before giving it up for us, then that's fine too. I honestly think it doesn't matter, it's not central to Christian faith, and either way, I encourage you to keep and strengthen your faith.

Hello Frederick Dalton,

You really don't have a clue. In fact, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Your perspective certainly isn't that of a Christian. THE CHRIST who died on the cross for you and me was VERY GOD made manifest in the flesh. You are thinking and talking about human wealth. JESUS CHRIST arose on the third day from the dead, was seen by many witnesses, and HE ascended back to Heaven. JESUS CHRIST is alive today, and he lives in my heart and the hearts of all true Christians. Bill Gates doesn't have anything. If you really think that gold is all that important, JESUS CHRIST has the entire universe.

I said nothing about JESUS having lots of gold nor wanting lots of gold. Your mind is stuck on the material things of this world that mean nothing. The real riches are SPIRITUAL RICHES IN CHRIST JESUS that last for Eternity.

WOW! - I can't believe that I'm having this conversation. In terms of the power and influence you mentioned, what kind of power and influence do you think that the CREATOR AND RULER OF THE UNIVERSE HAS? Frederick this post and others indicates that you have no respect or reverence for JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever. You appear to be playing little intellectual games, and you have even tried to compare JESUS CHRIST with pagan gods, rocks, trees, and other false gods.

Your number of deleted posts is growing at about the same rate as your disrespect for JESUS CHRIST. This will be another warning in your growing list of warnings. You are on a Christian Forum, and JESUS CHRIST is the center focus of our lives here. Your agenda appears to be talking about every god except JESUS CHRIST and mocking the things of ALMIGHTY GOD and the HOLY BIBLE.

Frederick, this is the last warning, and it is public. Your next deleted post will mean that you are banned.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the