Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Study Methods
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Study Methods  (Read 1769 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 12:24:32 PM »

I have been asked many times such questions as "Do I really need to study the Bible?", "Why should I study the Bible?, What is the purpose of studying the Bible when I go to church every Sunday?, and "I read books by "xxxxxx" that explain things in simpler language, so why should I study the Bible?", "How should I study the Bible?". The Bible tells us of the importance of studying and just how we are to study.

First we must appreciate the importance of Bible study.

Study so you can obey God and grow in His service.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1Pe 2:2  As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Rom 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Mat 4:4  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2Pe 1:12  Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
2Pe 1:13  Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
2Pe 1:14  Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
2Pe 1:15  Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.

Study so we can avoid error and false teaching.

Hos 4:6  My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Act 17:11  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Mat 22:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Mat 15:14  Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Pro 2:1  My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
Pro 2:2  So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Pro 2:3  Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
Pro 2:4  If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Pro 2:5  Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

Rom 10:1  Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
Rom 10:2  For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
Rom 10:3  For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Rom 10:4  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Study so you can teach others.

Deu 6:6  And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
Deu 6:7  And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
Deu 6:8  And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
Deu 6:9  And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

Heb 5:12  For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Heb 5:13  For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
Heb 5:14  But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

2Ti 2:2  And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

1Pe 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Col 3:16  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Rom 15:14  And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

Study to express love for God and His word.

Psa 1:2  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psa 119:47  And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
Psa 119:48  My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Joh 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Suppose a young lady is separated from her boyfriend. He writes every day, so she prominently displays his letters on the coffee table. But they sit there for days before she opens and reads them. Does she really love him? No, we want to hear from those we love.

If we studied all subjects as negligently as some people study the Bible, we would surely be ignorant people. On the other hand, if we would study the Bible as diligently as some people study about sports, hobbies, etc., we would all be excellent Bible students. How much more important is it to understand the Bible than to understand secular subjects?

Study with a Love for Truth.

Act 17:11  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

2Ti 4:2  Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Respect the Bible as Being Verbally & Infallibly Inspired. If a person doubts that the Bible is God's infallible word, he is much more likely to disagree or reject it. The Bible is from God.

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

1Th 2:13  For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

1Co 14:37  If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Eph 3:3  How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4  Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5  Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

cont'd on page two
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 12:25:07 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:25:27 PM »

Page Two

The Bible is verbally inspired.

Some people believe that God just gave the inspired men ideas, then let them explain them as they saw fit. This belief leaves room for error in the way the men expressed the ideas. "Verbal" inspiration means that every word written by the inspired writers was exactly the word God wanted. God gave the inspired men the very words they used to express the inspired ideas.

1Co 2:10  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
1Co 2:11  For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12  Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13  Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Deu 18:18  I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
Deu 18:19  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

1Co 2:3  And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
1Co 2:4  And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5  That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Consider Other Passages on the Same Subject. Truth on a subject is determined by "adding up" all pertinent passages.

Mat 4:4  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

For example, Jesus showed that the devil has misused one passage by considering another passage.

Mat 4:5  Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
Mat 4:6  And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Mat 4:7  Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Truth does not contradict itself. Never "interpret" a passage in a way that contradicts other passages. Conclusions should harmonize with all that God has spoken.

Joh 17:17  Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

1Co 14:33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Act 20:20  And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:27  For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

Mat 28:20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Too many people do not study the Bible in an organized way, and too many depend on others to study for them. It may not be wrong to use someone else's material to guide us in a study, yet some members cannot study for themselves.

The following suggestions are designed to help you start with just a few basic Bible study tools and study a Bible passage or subject for yourself. They are general guidelines that may be abbreviated or modified in some cases. But they should be helpful in learning God's word.
Suggested procedure for studying a Bible passage

Suppose you have a particular section of Scripture you want to study: a verse, chapter, section, or even a whole book. The following procedure will help you use the principles we have learned.

1. Study the general background of the book of the Bible. Who wrote it? What do you know about the author? To whom was it written, and what do you know about these people? When was it written and under what circumstances? You may learn this information from reading the book itself (see next step) or by using cross-references, concordances, etc.

2. Read the passage in context. You may need to read the whole book. Understand the theme of the book, and list the main subjects discussed.

3. Study the particular passage section by section. Examine each paragraph, each verse, each phrase, and even each word. Define key words using context, parallel passages, other translations, and dictionaries. Study other passages on the subject (use cross references and concordance).

Ask yourself questions about what the passage does and does not mean, and consider alternative views. Search for evidence till you can answer your questions, prove what view is correct, and explain the meaning in your own words. Think of examples or illustrations to help explain the passage. Make specific applications to your own life and the lives of others.

Write careful notes throughout your study, and save your notes for future reference.
Suggested procedure for studying a Bible subject

1. Select and define the topic. Write it as precisely as you can in a few statements or questions. Revise if necessary as you proceed.

2. Jot down everything you think you know about the topic: passages, main points, illustrations, applications, etc.

3. List the important words related to the topic. You will use these to find pertinent passages in the concordance. Be sure to define them as you proceed.

4. List the important passages. Use memory, concordance, cross references, etc.

5. Study each passage using the methods previously described for passages. Ask questions, draw conclusions, make applications, think of illustrations.

6. Organize the material. Divide your topic logically into its major divisions and sub-divisions. Classify each item of information under the appropriate sub-division. (If you cannot do this, you probably need to study more to understand the material better.)

Again, take careful notes at each step. You may want to write a final outline or summary of the material, especially if it is to be taught to others. Save your notes for future study.

While it is good to use a logical, organized approach to our Bible studies there is one thing that we must not overlook. The divine guidance of God. Prior to each Bible study ask the Lord for guidance and assistance in understanding.

Mat 21:22  And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Pro 3:3  Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
Pro 3:4  So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
Pro 3:5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Pro 3:6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Pro 3:7  Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Joh 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14  He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:22:56 AM »

AMEN PASTOR ROGER!

Brother, your post was beautiful and I thank you for sharing with us. Mature Christians also need a reminder regularly about how and why we study the Holy Bible. For many of us, Bible study is a joy and has become addictive. The spiritual riches of the Holy Bible are without end, and it's amazing how GOD uses His Word in our daily lives. I say "amazing" because our daily Bible study many times gives us help, strength, and guidance for a problem or trial that we are going through. I really don't consider this is a coincidence, rather the Power of God that HE leads us many times through His Word.

It would be wonderful if Christians didn't wait for a problem or a trial as an excuse to study the Holy Bible. Studying the Holy Bible should be like eating food. We must have nourishment for our physical bodies to stay alive, so we don't need an excuse to eat the food that GOD has provided for us and our families. The Holy Bible contains spiritual food for our hearts and minds that we need for strength and growth in CHRIST. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all Christians considered both types of food just as important and fed themselves with what GOD has provided?

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 3:24-26 NASB  When you lie down, you will not be afraid; When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden fear Nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence And will keep your foot from being caught.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:41:29 AM »

Amen Pastor Roger, it is so important to study God's Word daily. Many people think the Bible is too hard to understand, but as you stated in your post all we have to do is ask God for His guidance, ask Him to give us an understanding heart, and be willing to receive. And ask Him for His wisdom. God will give us the knowledge, He will open our eyes, and He will give us understanding. God wants nothing more than for His people to have a close relationship with Him, and for us to know Him. When I first started to study the Bible about 30 years ago, I had no clue as how to even begin, but as I continued to read, I realized that a good way to study was by topic, or subject. For instance, God's faithfulness, His love and His patience. This led me to continue on to studying about His character and His desire for us. It may be surprising to some just how much God desires us to know Him. And the only way to do that is to study His Word. We may not always remember everything we read, but The Holy Spirit brings to our memory the things we have studied when the need arises.
Thank you for that post, I am sure a lot of people will be better able to learn how to study the Bible if they take your advise.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Frederic Dalton

favorite translations: Message, NIV

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

I am very much a beginner to Bible study but I'd like to recommend a few resources - admittedly I live in the UK, so the materials I suggest might not be so readily available in your local market.

The Bible from Scratch, by Simon Jenkins - it's got cartoons! And speech bubbles! And maps. Too many Bible study guides are written in a tone of lofty intellectualism - but this definitely isn't one of them. Thoroughly accessible.

The Word on the Street, by Rob Lacey - a modern Bible paraphrase using contemporary language. Sure, it misses bits of the Bible out, but Rob Lacey is an excellent storyteller, so this resource is useful for picking up plot lines that run through the Bible, both within books and from one book to another.

Collins Gem Bible A-Z - a pocket sized dictionary of Biblical people and places, but unlike a traditional Biblical dictionary, it includes many more general concepts such as food and depression - in this way, it also serves as a topical concordance. It also has an impressive number of cross-references for alternative names considering its size. I often use it as a first point of reference, but turn to other dictionaries when I want more detail.

Nelson's Compact Bible Dictionary - reasonably detailed and illustrated, I consult this a lot while reading the Bible to help me remember who's who and how they're related to each other.

Collins Thematic Thesaurus of the Bible - the most powerful concept-searching of the Bible I've found anywhere! Topics are arranged into the same 990 categories used by Roget's Thesaurus - so it's possible to use this resource in conjunction with a Rogets for even more powerful searching, on practically any imaginable concept. I would not recommend this as a first point of reference, because the results might only be loosely related to what you looked up in the first place. For your first point of reference, you'd be better off trying an ordinary Strong's or NIV concordance, and maybe a Bible dictionary too, particulary for people and places - but if that draws a blank, then turn here.

Can anyone recommend any other good resources? Thanks.

I appreciate Pastor Roger's advice on how to organise yourself into Bible study, but to be honest, I find that I can only study it when the curiosity takes me. If I force myself to study at any other time, I just end up frustrated. That said, I find there are ways of encouraging my curiosity. Smiley

Bible study should be fun. Fun is a great motivator.

I also think it's vital to be in a homegroup that studies the Bible. Group study isn't a substitute for studying on your own - indeed, I'd encourage everyone to consult the Bible at any time that curiosity takes them, wherever they are - to the extent that it's practical to lug a big library of concordances and dictionaries and various different translations around with you. And if you can't do this, then scribble your curiosity in a notebook, so that you remember to look it up later when you get to your home library.

However, group study introduces a social element to Bible study, which can encourage you to stay motivated. It also allows you to share your ideas with others around you, thereby minimising the risk of forming unchecked heretical interpretations by yourself.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the