Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Routers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Routers  (Read 4312 times)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:21:05 PM »

What's the difference in routers, besides the number of ports?
They're priced anywhere from $50.00 on up into the thousands of dollars.  Obviously, the higher priced ones are for big businesses, but they even have very high priced ones for VERY small businesses, too, with maybe only 3 computers to hook up.  I want one that will give me the max security with the min. of trouble in ALL areas. Grin

I did some research on these and it left me totally confused.  One brand might have 10 models, etc.  Some people like linksys and others dislike it.  Not many people are buying the higher priced ones, ie. Cisco.  Cisco's are mainly for businesses but what's in them (besides ports) that make them so much better?  The least expensive Cisco router I found was about $365.00.............OUCH!  Then there's something called "firmware" that goes along with the routers............WOW, it's really complicated for me.  Firmware must be updated on a regular basis, too.

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 04:51:07 PM »

Those routers are more for professional use. Home use routers can be obtained for less than $100.00. I got mine for $25.00.

The number of ports depend on how many computers you intend to hook up through it. If you only have one computer then save some money and get one with the fewest output ports. I went shopping at stores like Best Buy and Staples to find mine and did a comparison with what they had available.

Mine is a Motorola WR850G wireless.

The main purpose for a router is to set up networking. This means to have one primary computer with the others running off of it. The primary can control all the others. This is great if you have kids with computers of their own.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:02:34 PM »

Those routers are more for professional use. Home use routers can be obtained for less than $100.00. I got mine for $25.00.

The number of ports depend on how many computers you intend to hook up through it. If you only have one computer then save some money and get one with the fewest output ports. I went shopping at stores like Best Buy and Staples to find mine and did a comparison with what they had available.

The main purpose for a router is to set up networking. This means to have one primary computer with the others running off of it. The primary can control all the others. This is great if you have kids with computers of their own.

Yep, I know!  My question was, "what is the difference between a $50.00 router and a $400.00 router."  I already know there's a port difference, plus business vs home use, but there's very definitely a $300.00 price difference, too, which usually means a difference in quality, etc. I'd like to know what that difference is, but haven't been able to find the answer on the internet.  Thought maybe someone here might be into hardware and would know.  Cisco charges for that information via telephone.  That will be my last resort.

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 07:27:22 PM »

One of the differences is speed. The higher priced units will handle all of the sub-computers without slowing down. This is not a problem though for the small ones for home use as you more than likely would not be using that many computers all at once. Two computers on the router at the same time does not slow mine down at all. Yes there is a much higher security factor with the higher price one also but again I personally don't think it is enough to warrant the higher price.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:18:52 PM »

The REALLY high priced routers, $3000.00 range and up take care of everything, trojans, worms, etc. and even heal them before they can get to ones computer.

One can set up VPN (virtual private network) tunnels which allow outside computers to access ones system over the internet.  Example, I work for a company and have an office in a certain state, and need to access the server in another state.

These routers are usually installed in very large companies to offer the best of the best.  The set up takes a certified Cisco tech to configure them at $100.00 + an hour.

Now that you guys answered all my questions about routers, I'm well informed.  Thanks! Grin

Just thought I'd post this info in case anyone else never thought to ask the question that they didn't know they needed an answer to. Wink Tongue Grin Grin Grin

Grace and peace,
cris

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 09:06:28 PM »

PR.............did go and check on the different routers (not the high end ones, though, 'cause I don't have that kind of money).  I liked the feedback on the Motorola, so that's what I bought.  Mine is the WR850GP. Don't know how you got yours for $25, 'cause I paid more than double that for mine. Could not find one that ended in just the "G".  It will be a couple of weeks before the broadband gets hooked up.  Meanwhile, as I checked on these routers, I also checked out some computers.  I'm not getting a new one any time soon, but checked nevertheless.  Gateway has one out that's a pentium D, dual core, 250GB, 1GB DDR with a 19" LCD monitor, cheap printer, BTX extra quiet tower and a bunch of software for $1249.00.  I was amazed at the speed for the price.  That isn't their top of the line, either.  They have an even faster one (380GB, I think) with double the 512 RAM.  I don't need any of that right now as I don't even know how to run the one I have. hehe  It's really interesting what's available and what one can do with a computer though..............blows my mind.  Right now, I just want one that won't give me any more trouble, like having to wait 5 minutes for Bronzesnake's Christmas card to download.  What a waste of time.  I know it isn't my computer that causes that, but rather this agonizing dial-up.

Keeping all of your family in my prayers.  The contractions must not have started back up or you would have updated.  That's good.  Your daughter-in-law and grandbabies are in God's care....................He's takin' good care of them.  Everything will work out well.  It's just getting over the unexpected that causes the stress.  You take care of yourself, too.  That's an order. Wink

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 09:34:35 PM »

Don't know how you got yours for $25

Trade secrets .....   Wink Grin

Actually I just happened to be in Staples at a time they had a sale going on them. 50% off.

I'll give an update in the Prayer Request area, I was just getting ready to do so anyway.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 07:48:41 AM »

The REALLY high priced routers, $3000.00 range and up take care of everything, trojans, worms, etc. and even heal them before they can get to ones computer.

One can set up VPN (virtual private network) tunnels which allow outside computers to access ones system over the internet.  Example, I work for a company and have an office in a certain state, and need to access the server in another state.

Yes, there are a few extra bells and whistles on the high end router, but really for the most part, the main difference is the quantity of ports (a lot of extra ports) and as PR pointed out, capable of handeling the extra bandwidth for corporate networks.   On the average home type routers you can setup VPN tunnels as well.   Also, the typical home based product has a built in firewall, which with the addition of installed components can address all the worm/trojan issues one would encounter in the net.   When you log into your home based router, you will see a basic setup screen with the typical switches etc....on the higher end routers these settings would be quite a bit more extravagant.   So the code that goes into them would likely be another reason for the additional cost.  

I really like the VPN stuff.   Nice being able to access my PC from work, or on the road when I'm storm chasing  Smiley.   Neat stuff!!!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the