Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:35:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  TONGUES - A SIGN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TONGUES - A SIGN  (Read 11794 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2006, 06:54:52 AM »

Hi, everyone. I have been reading the last couple of days some of the topics. Since I have been transplanted into an A/G Church from another church that didn't believe in speaking in tongues, I thought I would give my account on this subject. While growing up I remember Pentcoastal people being referred to as Holy roller and a few other names. I remember being told that people are taught to speak in tongues. So when I went to the alter and gave my heart to the Lord at the A/G church I was somewhat fearful when I was asked if I wanted to recieve the baptistism of the Holy Ghost. I got up from the alter and almost ran back to my seat. Several years later I recieved the baptistism of the holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongue. Did someone tell me to repeat after them? NO Do I speak the same language of someone else? NO.
I believe there are several problems that need to be addressed.
First, some churchs believe that is ok to tell others to repeat after them and they are now speaking in tongues. I will not judge this, since I didn't know everything about the Bible and God. I for one do not think it is right, but that is my opinion and the way my church teaches.
The gift of speaking in tongues are for today because He is the same yesterday, today and forever. It was used in biblical times and if it was good for then is it good for today.
I believe that speaking in tongues with interpetation is for the edifation of the church. Praying in tongues can be used to edify God and to be use when we do not have the words to expresses what we are trying say. I believe that when we do not how to pray for things we are asking God to do(ex. for my husband to be born again.) the Holy Spirit intercedes for us through our language. Who else would know better then He to reach God when we feel like our prayers are hitting the ceiling and bouncing back to us.
Ok this is long and I have other things I would like to say but let's see where this goes.
Catty

Nicely said Catty   Smiley

Hi Reba, I'm Maria. I have been reading these posts since they got started, I never posted on the because sometimes it's just not worth the effort posting when the person you are trying to have a decent conversation with is very sarcastic and mean sounding, but I like the way catty posted so I did answer her post. I agree with you she said it very nicely. With humbleness, meekness and tact. I hope I will be reading a lot more of your posts,  Cheesy
your sister in Christ,
Maria

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
catty

Its all about you Lord Jesus, its all about you!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »

Thank you for your comments. Like I said before on this subject GOd is the same yesterday today and forever, so if that is true then tongues is for today as it was back on that great of pentcostal day. I was just wondering though someone made the comment about tongues not being used in biblical ways. I was wondering in what biblical way is tongues not being used?

GKB,
I am going to an Assembly of God Church(A/G). My grandfather was a Foursquare Gospel Church Pastor, but I don't remember much since I was very young at the time. My dad married my stepmom and we went to a Nazerene Church until I moved out. My mom and dad about 30 miles north of where we lived and began going to the Church that we are in now. Through circumstances my husband and I moved into my mom and dads house which they no longer lived in at the time, but still went to church out here. When my oldest daughter was 3 they began to take her to church and did the same with my youngest. That is when I began going back to church with my mom and dad.
catty  
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »

Hi catty,

There are some churches that use free use of tongues without an interpreter. The Bible specifically says that there must be someone there that can interpret what is said. I have also seen where there will be 10 or more speaking in tongues all at once and the Bible tells us that this will not be done. The Bible also tells us that it is for a sign to the non-believer not to those that already believe yet there are some churches that teach you are not saved if you don't speak in tongues. This is clearly against the teachings of the Bible. Not all will speak in tongues as we are given different gifts according to the grace of God.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2006, 11:42:55 AM »

Hi catty,

There are some churches that use free use of tongues without an interpreter. The Bible specifically says that there must be someone there that can interpret what is said. I have also seen where there will be 10 or more speaking in tongues all at once and the Bible tells us that this will not be done. The Bible also tells us that it is for a sign to the non-believer not to those that already believe yet there are some churches that teach you are not saved if you don't speak in tongues. This is clearly against the teachings of the Bible. Not all will speak in tongues as we are given different gifts according to the grace of God.

AMEN!

You said that better then I did a page or two ago.

Reba
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2006, 10:04:35 PM »

I spent most of my life in AofG Daddy was a pastor for 50 + years.

We all speak of denominations, Baptist, Pentecostal, Reform,… there is a bunch of ‘em.... as a bunch of groups. Yet each church within the denomination is unique. Just a each person in a family is unique.  Each church seems to have its own personality. I have been in what I would term “unholy roller” to the quiet reserved and yet they are both AofG. I have been in a Baptist church, which praised the Lord with the raising of hands and much emotion.  

Knowing my family and how much they love the Lord I know they are not of satan because they speak in tongues. Yet  I have witnessed the forcing of tongues on many….. not good.

The first church I ever held membership in was Baptist although they do not speak in tongues( as a denom) I have witnessed the mighty workings of the Holy Spirit. Tis a shame this has been such a dividing point for so many.

Often I have seen the gift to be of more value then the giver…

Dad was the most Christ like man I have ever known.. The more of the Word he soaked up, the more scriptural knowledge he was blessed with, the less ,shall I say ‘supernatural’ he displayed or  as it appeared the less Dad needed the supernatural..  I personally believe the supernatural is often there for those who need a boost or ,sheesh don’t kill me, a crutch.  

I have heard tongues all my life (60years this year Shocked) (Acts 2) I have yet to see the tongues of fire.  I have rambled long enough.....  
GKB

MY GREATEST SEEK, IS TO KNOW JESUS MORE

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2006, 10:55:35 PM »

why do we keep fighting the spirit of the lord jesus? o taste and see that the lord is good.

why not simply try to believe god by faith and see where it leads you?

everyone is saying that i am talking with an attitude, i'm not very nice, i should word it better, etc...but when you are passionate about the truth, sometimes it just seems that way.

i have not once boosted on a title, or bragged about myself, but than again as i wright this, i realize its not necassary for me to defend myself, so i'll stop!

i've seen the truth affend and upset people before, so this is common!

I LOVE THE LORD! I LOVE HIM! I LOVE HIS SPIRIT AND ALL THATS ASSOCIATED WITH HIM "I" DARE NOT DENOUNCE, but thats just me. anyone who wants to denounce him or his gifts can....

but i made a choice, and that choice is to believe god. i refuse to lean to my own understanding, because that doesn't work. so if i have to believe god by myself i will.

p.s. i will not be answering anymore insults thrown at me, i will only deal with the issue of helping people who want a clearer understanding get it.

i count the ridicule to be greater than all the riches in egypt!

when you become aroused by faith... it doesn't really matter what the multitudes think!

many of us have given up on seeing the miracles of the gifts of the spirit because we have been believing for X amount of years and still haven't seen the results of our weak faith.

but there was a man who for one hundred and twenty years preached the true message of "its going to rain" and do you know how many joined his church? EIGHT!

So we can keep preaching what sounds ngood and feels good all we want to, but there is a consequence for not doing it gods way......everybody drowned, except the eight, EVERYBODY! so please forgive me if i don't jump on the ban wagons, i do not mind being the less popular person here!

but i'm going to keep doing what i know is right in the sight of the lord....maybe somebody here will become one of the eight of our generation.

peace and blessings sisters and brothers.

catty, thank you for your response....may god continue to bless you! i do not know why i need to say this to you, but if god be for you, he's more than the whole world against you! REST IN IT!
ggamble

My hope is in my calling.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2006, 12:16:48 PM »

Greeting, them that have the gifts of tongues, them that have different gifts for the body, PRAISE Jesus, we have all been washed in His blood. The Church is a body.

Thou shalt see greater than these. (John 1:50)

his is spoken to a childlike believer, who was ready to accept Jesus as the Son of God, the King of Israel, upon one convincing piece of argument. Those who are willing to see shall see; it is because we shut our eyes that we become so sadly blind.

We have seen much already. Great things and unsearchable has the Lord showed unto us, for which we praise His name; but there are greater truths in His Word, greater depths of experience, greater heights of fellowship, greater works of usefulness, greater discoveries of power, and love, and wisdom. These we are yet to see if we are willing to believe our Lord. The faculty of inventing false doctrine is ruinous, but power to see the truth is a blessing. Heaven shall be opened to us, the way thither shall be made clear to us in the Son of Man, and the angelic commerce which goes on between the upper and the lower kingdoms shall be made more manifest to us. Let us keep our eyes open toward spiritual objects and expect to see more and more. Let us believe that our lives will not drivel down into nothing but that we shall be always on the growing hand, seeing greater and still greater things, till we behold the great God Himself and never again lose the sight of Him.

Spurgeon devotion for today.

I'm going to take a few verses out of context a little here, but not really that far away, so bear with me.
1) 1 Cor. 14:40 - Let all things be done decently and in order.
{This is why, the confusion, because some have forgot this piece of very important guidelines for the many a gifts.}
2) 1 Cor. 13:10 - But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
{ Now the verses before Paul, who was still in the same breath before saying this.} rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things,  
{ Now I'd say he is talking mainly about Jesus, and the Word became flesh, our Lord Jesus that is, by encouragement. Now keep in mind 13:10 I'll be leading up to that verse.}

Charity
{LOVE} never faileth: {God's love, it's going to be forever.} but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail. {He that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exploration, and comfort. Now when won't this be necessary for a believer to do unto another believer, remember love never faileth.}
whether there be tongues, they shall cease; {this seems to be the question, when will they cease, or that they have. Paul was not at Pentecost, but he tells of the many gifts he has, nothing about the tongue of fire over his head, but he spoke in tongues of even angelic flavor. I've heard it explained that they were baptized with fire, which is another subject altogether.}
whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. {Is he saying "a word of knowledge" which is a revelation gift, "supernatural" or just simply "knowledge". How ever you want to read it, I read it as the gift thing, since Paul is talking about gifts. We can assume Paul takes a breath here to bring out the next piece of vital information.}
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. {These have just been explained, now here is where Verse 10,  comes about "When that which is perfect is come", that statement there is talking about the second coming of our Lord Jesus. Then that which is in part will be done away, of course, none of the gifts will be needed for the church body, because He has returned.
In verse 12,  comes all them questions we have, we will know all that has been a puzzle for us, face to face. When Jesus returns, and that is not far off, them are true signs we are seeing everyday, we that believe.
God's people should not fight with one another over doctrines, denominational differences, we are bound together by none of these, but by the shed blood of Jesus. The same Spirit, the Holy Ghost, when the Church is with God, the gifts of the Spirit will no longer be needed. With this fact in mind, why would I fear the gifts of the Spirit, or question that God is in them, if they are all in lines with His Word, then they are from the Spirit of the Lord. I have not a spirit of fear, I have the Spirit of Christ, and I won't put God in a box.
1 Cor. 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
{Covet, that's a pretty strong word to use for us as Christians. It's wrong in the carnal sense, but between you and God, that's a different story. Then "a more excellent way" that's the bases of the statement, do it in love, that's the foundation of the gifts of the Spirit.}
"Jesus functioned only within the framework of the gifts of the Spirit. His ministry on earth was not as God, but as a man, functioning in the gifts of the Spirit. John 14:12, greater works than these, He said. We can expect to do the same works Jesus did if we will follow, line upon line and precept upon precept, everything the Word of God teaches." Lester Sumrall
Luke 10:22 All things are delivered to Me of My Father: and no man knoweth Who the Son is, but the Father; and Who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal Him.
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
He is still revealing Himself every moment of the day, brothers & sisters need to put the use of the gifts in the function they were given for, for the Church body, in order. That is why, all the rebuke has come to surface, and brings about division.
1 Cor. 12:25 That there be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care one for another.
The word schism is important, it means separation or division, God does not want a schism in the Church.
The enemy does, and its sad what some bad apples do to the whole basket, Lord, may the eyes of their hearts be given all revelation to the truths and uses of the gifts of the Spirit, that we may unite as one in You.  
In Jesus name, I pray,  Amen

May the Lord bless thee, and keep thee
Only, Always for Jesus
in the love of a brother
ggamble

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;
dp

Worker in the field

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2006, 08:01:36 AM »

Greetings all,

Before I mention some Scriptural matters on this, I want everyone here to know it's not my intention to judge anyone on the speaking of a tongue different than what The Bible describes. I have some Christian friends that do speak a speech that I cannot understand, nor can others undertand. Yet those believers who speak such a tongue are varried in their Biblical understanding as much as other believers that don't manifest it.

Acts 2 is the guide for understanding what was spoken on Pentecost Day by The Holy Spirit through Christ's Apostles. Our personal opinions do not matter if they go against what God's Word says there in Acts 2. DigitGen did a good job Scripturally of describing what the true 'cloven' tongue manifesting is, per Acts 2.

Again, per Acts 2, which is the example for all believing Christians, everyone present there who heard that 'cloven' tongue understood in their own language and dialect of birth. The Holy Spirit even left a specific subject outline within Acts 2 on that word tongue per the Greek (a:glossa, b:dialektos, b:dialektos, a:glossa, which means 'language', 'dialect', 'dialect', 'language'). When that happens in Scripture it means God is sealing the Message in His Word. Those kind of subject outline Holy Spirit markings happen often in Scripture, and that's why we often see repeats of the same phrases within a single chapter, for emphasis.

Another point on this per Scripture, specifically the 1 Corinthians 14 Chapter, the KJV word "unknown" in the phrase "unknown tongue" is not in the Greek manuscrirpts of God's Word the translators used. The KJV translators added the word "unknown". So in verses like 1 Cor.14:2, remove the word "unknown", because it was added by the translators. It's not difficult to go to a Strong's Concordance to check me out on that. The word "tongue" in that 1 Cor.14 Chapter also is Greek 'glossa', meaning a known language of the world. Paul was definitely speaking about known languages of the world in 1 Corinthians 14.

1 Cor 14:10-11
10   There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
11   Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
(KJV)

When Paul talks about "voices in the world", he's talking about different languages, not the 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost. Paul was speaking about those with different languages speaking in the Church and causing confusion by not having an interpreter.

But that does not mean there is no 'cloven' tongue, because Acts 2 testifys there is. And further, Acts 2 shows everyone present heard in their own languages of birth when that 'cloven' tongue went forth out of the Apostle's mouths. We know that for sure by verses like this:

Acts 2:11
11   Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
(KJV)

The "wonderful works of God" is what the Apostles were teaching there on Pentecost Day to the multitudes by the cloven tongue. That means a Testimony by God through The Holy Spirit that is to be understood. But there's more there in Acts 2 about the manifesting of that cloven tongue.

Acts 2:16-20
16   But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17   And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18   And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
19   And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
20   The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
(KJV)

Peter is specifically quoting from Joel 2. How many have really studied Joel 2 & 3 to know what timing that is for? When Peter says, "this is that", that means the cloven tongue on Pentecost is only an 'example' of the prophesied event first given in the Book of Joel. Again, what timing is Joel 2 about?

Joel 2 mentions events like blowing the trumpet in Zion, the appearance of horsemen, entering in windows as a thief, earthquakes and days of darkness, the bridegroom going forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet, the four stages of the locust with God calling them " My great army which I sent among you", all happening before the Day of The LORD.

The "day of The LORD" means Christ's future "thousand years" reign on earth with His elect servants, mentioned in Rev.20. The sounding of the 7th trumpet, the "last trump", is when that Day of The LORD begins. The locust metaphor there in Joel 2 is about the locust army of Revelation 9. The great signs in the heavens and the earth are tribulation timing signs. The horsemen of course relate to the four horsemen of the Apocalypse per Revelation 6. Those symbols, especially the locust army symbol, relate to the seven signs of the latter days given in Revelation, a time leading up to Christ's second coming to begin the Day of The LORD.

In Mark 13, our Lord Jesus gave those signs also, and they tie directly to the seven seals of Revelation 6.

Mark 13:7-11
7   And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.

As long as we hear of wars and rumors of war, Christ's return is not yet. But what's the opposite of wars and rumors of wars? Peace, but there is no peace. That's what we're really hearing now, but wars are still going on today. When they shall say, "Peace and safety", then watch out, all wars will have ended in prep for the tribulation (1 Thess.5).

8   For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.
9   But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony against them.

Now we're getting close to a link with the Joel 2 prophesy for the end days, concerning those who will give a Testimony for Christ Jesus.

10   And the gospel must first be published among all nations.

One of the Greek meanings for that word "published" is to herald like a public crier. Remember the days past when the town herald got up on a stand to make public proclomations to the town.

11   But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.
(KJV)

Notice our Lord Jesus forewarns here, that if you are delivered up to those councils and synagogues to give a witness for Him, to not think beforehand what you will say, but speak what The Holy Spirit gives you to say in that hour. There's the link to the cloven tongue purpose in the latter days just before Christ's second coming. And that's the link to the events in Joel 2 Peter quoted on Pentecost Day.

Therefore, for those who do speak an unknown tongue, one that can't be understood, possibly it will manifest like Pentecost Day in our near future through those who are destined to be delivered up to give a Testimony for Christ, by The Holy Spirit speaking through them, and everyone hearing them in their own language of birth, even their own village dialect. That is certainly my hope for those. In the Luke 21 example of those events, Jesus said He would give those a mouth and wisdom that the adversaries willl not be able to gainsay nor resist. That's another clue of what the true cloven tongue of Pentecost is, what it's for, and what major latter day event it is reserved for. Everyone hearing it will definitely understand it in their own language.

There is a pure langauge unto The LORD:

Zeph 3:8-9
8   Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.
9   For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one consent.
(KJV)

After Christ's second coming, we all will be speaking that "pure language". One only need to recall their Old Testament history in Genesis 10 & 11 about the tower of Babel. All nations spoke one language prior to that Babel event. There's about 7 main root languages that all known languages branched off of. They must have come from the early one language before the tower of Babel. There's the Scriptural link to the cloven tongue of Pentecost of why its true manifesting involves known languages of the world. God is not the author of confusion, but of peace.

In Christ,
dp
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2006, 07:38:33 PM »

PRAISE THE LORD,

db please look at post #22 on this subject, there are some other scriptures that you may be able to help me with, specifically in romans...
dp

Worker in the field

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2006, 02:41:19 PM »

Hello GKB,

I noticed you mentioned the Romans 8:26 passage about "groanings" in reply #22. The Greek word there means a 'sigh'. Paul is simply talking about times when we need God's help, and we don't know what to do or what to ask Him for. Instead, our spirit simply groans inside us, which is where The Holy Spirit takes up intercession for us. It is not about an 'outward' groaning, it's about an 'inward' groaning...

Rom 8:26
26   Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
(KJV)

The phrase "which cannot be uttered" means unspeakable, so that is not meant as some outward speech. Acts 7:34 is the only other Scripture of that Greek word for 'groaning', and notice what the subject is there, about God telling Moses He had heard Israel's groaning, their affliction while captive in Egypt.

Like I said in my above post, it's not my intention to judge anyone on this matter. I believe the example of Acts 2 about the cloven tongue, and what it was and is to be used for. A closer look into the history of Christ's disciples being sent to peoples of many different languages reveals a major purpose for the cloven tongue, and we may assume from the Acts 2 example they did manifest that cloven tongue later in the same ways as Acts 2, as did others later (Acts 19:6). That would mean someone of one language going to a foreign nation today without the proper language might very well manifest the cloven tongue so the people there could understand. Moreover, the idea of prophesing in The Bible means to reveal or teach. So it's not about confusion, it's about understanding, and that's God's way.

Now if you understand the latter part of my above post, in reference to Joel 2 that Peter made, and, you've noticed many of the latter days signs in the world our Lord Jesus gave us, then you should be coming to a realization of another major manifesting of the true cloven tongue of Acts 2, to the whole world. That's what many seem to be lacking in their understanding today. Whether we speak a tongue today which no one can understand, or a tongue that is understood by people of different languages, the stage is now being set for the cloven tongue to manifest through Christ's witnesses who will be delivered up to councils and synagogues in our near future.

In Christ Jesus,
Dave

legacy lady

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »

I would first like to say I have very much enjoyed the debate on this subject.  One in which I have debated many times in my life and by the Grace of God, been on each side of the debate.  Having been raised SB the gift of tongues was very clearly considered an expired gift.  And all who have posted with that opinion I can very well relate to. Even to the point of having gone head to head with my Pastor with the same scriptures.  Although I know the passion behind your position, I can not now stand in agreement with it.

When I received the gift of tongues I was in my room doing my daily prayer.  (I must say prior to this experience I had only heard the gift of tongues spoken maybe a handful of times in my life) Just me and My Lord, I did not ask for it although I had asked for understanding.  See the church we now belonged to very much exercised this gift, in an orderly manner and was encouraged as a gift of prayer, rarely ever displayed during a church service.  So as I said it was not a big thing in our church, but a big thing in my heart and I would passionately debate it with anyone who would listen for the sake of understanding.  I think more mine than theirs though. 

So here I am, in my room praying in the Spirit when I received the gift of tongues.  Now I would like to say to all those who view this as cultish or satanic, judge not lest you be judged by the same measure.  Our witness, personal experience in what God has done in us, is the 2nd most powerful tool we have been given to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Although I could go scripture by scripture ( which has obviously been done)  I would rather just share my experience. 

So I prayed in tongues in the Spirit for 1 hr that day. Fully and completely engulfed by the love of my Father.  Having experienced an intimacy with Him that day and most days since that is unlike any I had known prior.  See the manifestation of this gift is not for others, although if by the Holy Spirit's knowledge it will give belief to an unbeliever than He will manifest it then. But from my experience it is a love language between me and my Lord.  When I am in His presence and my mouth and mind have said all they know to say and yet I still desire to sit at His feet, then my prayer language will pray what I know not.

For those who are so quick to lay down a Law about something obviously so Spiritual I ask you to pray for understanding.   God is faithful and He will give peace where there is none.

I do not ask you to believe as I because I believe that God gives us faith where we need it in our lives and maybe you carry great faith somewhere else in your life that God has given generously to you. 

I challenge all who stand on the opposite end of this debate to pray this in their lives
[
i]
John 17:23 
I in them and you in me.  May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved me and have loved them
[/i]
even as you have loved me.  [/i] [/left
]
As long as we (the body of Christ) allow such small things divide us they (the lost and dieing world) will never know the love of Our Father

Peace to you All
Tiffany

For we know that in all things God works for the good of  those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2006, 12:55:02 PM »

A few things that I would like to add:

1. It is not a requirement for Salvation. Rom 10:9

2. It is not a gift that all will experience. Rom 12: 6 - 13

3. It is not a gift that we should seek. 1 Cor 14:5, 12- 17, 19  2Tim 2:7

4. It should not be an area of contention. Phi 2:2

5. Our primary objective should be in the preaching of the Gospel. Mar 16:15

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2006, 02:00:51 AM »

PR,

why are the few things you'd like to add always in a direction that leans against the holy spirit by way of the tongues?

once again real quickly, god is still god rather we believe him or not, and his gifts still exsist, even if they do not exsist for you. don't be so quick to convince people against the spirit of god (it is the spirit that makes intercession)...if you don't know god on this level, maybe this is an area you should not speak on. for those of us blessed enough to know him on this level, it is an offense to have you speak against that fire that moves down on the inside...so don't do it!

i know some will be mad about this post, and they will find ways to rebuke me by twisting my words, or twisting the words in the bible, but those people should know, i am not moved by how much scripture a man can quote...walk it out...get the revelation of his word...get the understanding of the word and do not manipulate the word to prove false points...i know some of these points are false, because i have spoke and do speak in a real tongue, that is between me and god. the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are none of his. not saying that those who do not believe that the spirit make s intercession is none of his (even though the bible makes it clear in romans Cool, but what i am saying is do not post on something you don't know about, and certainly do not post against it.

p.s. some of us seem a little double minded. one minute it absolutely does not exsist, the next moment it does exsist but is not a requirement, or it exsist in secret. once again, if you do not know him in the power of his might, just say nothing!

i know i'm going to be in the cu principles office, but i'm going to post this anyway!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »

First of all who are you to say that I am not in the power of the spirit? The power of the spirit is doled out to each of us in different ways. Some to prophesy, some to teach .......

You are quick to see the negative in my posts but did not see the positive. I did not give posts that are against speaking in tongues. The post that I made simply shows that it is not for everyone. That GKB is in fact very Biblical.

Many people spend all their time seeking the gift of speaking in tongues and ignore the other gifts. It is better to understand five words in the church so that all may be edified than a hundred words in an unknown tongue. Too many even make it a requirement of salvation which it is not, this was one of my points above.

If I am given the power to teach should I not teach all things that are given me to teach or should I "say nothing" in the areas that may offend someone.

I am not forbidding to speak in tongues but rather insuring those that do not that they are not necessarily "out of the spirit". If a person speaks in tongues does that mean that they are closer to God than someone that doesn't? NO! absolutely not. People should be content with the gifts that God so graciously gives us for His purpose and to use those gifts for Him not just for ourselves. There were and are many great men in Christ that have never uttered a word in tongues, yet there are those that spend the majority of their time preaching on tongues and ignoring the greater matters of salvation and the use of other gifts that will edify all.

Perhaps you should be the one keeping silent on this subject if you do not understand this??

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2006, 11:14:46 PM »

GKB Said:

p.s. some of us seem a little double minded. one minute it absolutely does not exsist, the next moment it does exsist but is not a requirement, or it exsist in secret. once again, if you do not know him in the power of his might, just say nothing!

Hello GKB,

Brother, there is a very simple and sure answer for everyone to determine the truth about tongues. If it isn't exactly according to the Holy Bible, it isn't from God and it isn't of God. The portions of Scripture aren't difficult at all. You can read them for yourself, and if your experience isn't exactly according to Scripture, you have a problem that isn't from God.

There's also a problem with some folks adding doctrine about tongues that does not come from the Holy Bible in any manner or form. In these cases, those would be false doctrines of men and have nothing to do with God at all.

So, it really isn't a matter of opinion at all, rather a matter of Scripture from the Holy Bible. The only portion that is a matter of opinion is whether the tongues are a known and existing language or not. All of the rest is pretty simple facts from the Holy Bible.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Revelation 3:20 NASB  'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the