Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  TONGUES - A SIGN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TONGUES - A SIGN  (Read 11797 times)
Reba
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2006, 11:02:24 PM »

WELL ITS A NEW YEAR, AND LETS MOVE ON TO NEW THINGS. sorry that i'm not apart of the "team". i will continue to CRY LOUD AND SPARE NOT. TO GOD BE THE GLORY FOR THE THINGS HE HAS DONE....I WILL NOT CAST ANOTHER PEARL ON THIS SUBJECT...SO NOW AGREE AMONGST YOURSELVES THAT YOU ALL ARE RIGHT AND ENJOY. growth is caused by going past the norm...MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF  YOU IN THE NAME OF JESUS! Wink

You chose your words well?   so those who disagree with you are swine not worthy of pearls?
GKB

MY GREATEST SEEK, IS TO KNOW JESUS MORE

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »

god bless you sister reba...how did i do? am i yet exceptable?
please bare in mind that this disagreement is for this subject and that i do not disagree with everything that come across these sacred boards, however, like it or not i am still a child of god and proberly your brother. so if you plan to be in heaven i'm going, so we may have to spend eternity togther, so let it go.

its not always such a good idea to be on the popular side. i know many have but me in my grave, but just like jesus, i keep on showing up!

if god be for me, than he more than.....well you know Lips Sealed
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 01:50:57 AM »

god bless you sister reba...how did i do? am i yet exceptable?
No you aren't exceptable, you are like the rest of us. You are a child of Christ, still learning, as the rest of us are.....

While I don't agree, with the use of tongues. The reason for that, is I have never heard/seen a translator at different services I have gone to. All I hear/see is gibbish, and noise always the same word useed over and over. This is why I don't attend this type of Church, (sorry no Church names). Some where in the back of my mine, the Bible says tongues is not used when a translator is not present.

1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles, to another prophetic insight ( the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose); to another the ability to discern and distinguish between [the utterances of true] spirits [and false ones], to another various kinds of [unknown] tongues, to another the ability to interpret [such] tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:16 Otherwise, if you bless and render thanks with [your] spirit [a]thoroughly aroused by the Holy Spirit], how can anyone in the position of an outsider or he who is not gifted with [interpreting of unknown] tongues, say the Amen to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Matthew 6:25 Therefore I tell you, stop being perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink; or about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life greater [in quality] than food, and the body [far above and more excellent] than clothing?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 01:53:24 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged

GKB

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 03:45:12 AM »

hello and praise the lord!

i was not asking if i was exceptable in gods eyes, i was asking if i was yet exceptable in the forum eyes.

i have seen/heard tongues interpreted...but my faith takes me to these places in the spirit where things like that can happen for me.

i'm not better than anybody....as a matter of fact, the only thing that seperates me from a drunk, a fornicator, a drug abuser, is the fact that gods grace is holding me...thats my belief. so theres the theory that my pride is high. there is more to the kingdom of god than our faith allows us to believe. and often times, it is that which challenges you that teaches you...problem is it is impossible to teach one who knows already. i am not going to debate or fight with people whom i consider sisters and brothers, however, god will not be silenced, and for his sake neither am i. so excuse me if i don't always agree, but what am i to expect... folk didn't always agree with jesus! he still right, folk just don't agree. so i've moved past needing to be accepted by the elect.

tongues are real, the spirit of god is real, and thats regardless of rather or not you've seen it, believe it, heard it, felt it, moved in it, spoke in it, taught in it, touched in it, or what have you....i have understood that god is god rather or not people believe.

i am not the message, just the messenger! okay dears? kay!

with all this that you all are talking, has anybody yet laid hands on the sick, and they've been recovered? have you raised the dead yet? where care the miracles? i'll tell you where they are, and than you can go preach this message to your church. the miracles are somewhere behind your unbelief....start believing god...he said greater works than these shall you do, well have you? if not, you must not be  doing the thing that causes you to do greater works.... where are the miracles pastors, teachers, reachers? where is the power of god? its available, because i've seen everything that i just named, yes even one get up from the dead (and tongues were being spoken at the time, and an interpreter was in the building). but i have believed in god before i seen him....thats why i gave my life....so jump right back off the ban wagon that causes anyone to agree that gods power and gifting is not real and active...the sad thing is the devil believes greater than some of us. how the devil gonna have more faith than us? well i guess its because he seen the lord and we haven't! well i guess that explains that what we've seen theory!

how many of you all know that god is greater than what you've seen or experenced so far...stick with him by faith he just gets better, and better...just like the commercial, he keeps going, and going and going and...well you get it, or do you?

once again, i am not the message, just the messenger!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 03:58:20 AM by GKB » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 06:21:58 AM »

I see a lot of concentration being placed on miracles, signs from God, gifts from God, "what God can do for me". Should we not be more concerned with the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Should we not put more effort into teaching the wonderful saving grace of God?

Joh 4:48  Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

1Co 14:22  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

How much greater is the faith of he that believes and does not need signs as proof.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2006, 08:05:02 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I want to make a very simple statement. If I have a one-track mind about anything, I hope and pray it's in sharing the Gospel of the Grace of God! If real Christians were to unite in the single and most important thing we could possibly do, it would definitely be sharing the Gospel of the Grace of God with the lost.

When I use the term "real Christian", I'm talking about people who already belong to JESUS, regardless of what differences they might have with each other. I MUST bluntly state that those differences ARE NOT Salvation issues, and they don't SAVE anyone who is lost and dying in their sins.

If anyone wants to talk about the REAL POWER OF GOD already demonstrated and given to mankind, there would be ONE SINGLE AND UNCONTESTED event:  JESUS AND THE CROSS!  This is Salvation, and there is no other issue that comes close in importance. There is one thing about this single and MOST important event that bothers some people: there is absolutely NOTHING here for a man to boast of. If there is anything at all to boast of, the boasting is SOLELY ABOUT JESUS CHRIST, our LORD AND SAVIOUR FOREVER! Anyone who is TRULY Saved couldn't possibly disagree with the above statement.

Ephesians 2:8-10 NASB  For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

2 Corinthians 12:9  NASB  And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Galatians 6:14 NASB  But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

It's also true that NO TRULY saved person could disagree with the above Scriptures. However, there is still a problem here for some people: there is nothing above for a man to boast of. If there is any boasting at all, it will be in JESUS and the CROSS!!

The REAL AND UNCONTESTED POWER OF GOD that all Christians are commissioned to share with this lost world is JESUS AND THE CROSS! Again, NO TRULY Saved person could possibly disagree with this statement. There is a problem that gets in the way of OBEYING THIS ULTIMATE MISSION. Some people call it the "me, me, me problem", and it really boils down to human pride and vanity.

NOW, look in this thread and tell me where JESUS and THE CROSS is the ultimate issue. Is JESUS and THE CROSS even mentioned in this thread? OR, is the "me, me, me problem" the only issue in this thread? I'll answer this question: the "me, me, me problem" is the only issue in this thread. The things that men boast of fills this thread, and there was no room for JESUS and THE CROSS!!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Rock Of Ages

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.
Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
[originally When my eye-strings break in death]
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

catty

Its all about you Lord Jesus, its all about you!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »

Hi, everyone. I have been reading the last couple of days some of the topics. Since I have been transplanted into an A/G Church from another church that didn't believe in speaking in tongues, I thought I would give my account on this subject. While growing up I remember Pentcoastal people being referred to as Holy roller and a few other names. I remember being told that people are taught to speak in tongues. So when I went to the alter and gave my heart to the Lord at the A/G church I was somewhat fearful when I was asked if I wanted to recieve the baptistism of the Holy Ghost. I got up from the alter and almost ran back to my seat. Several years later I recieved the baptistism of the holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongue. Did someone tell me to repeat after them? NO Do I speak the same language of someone else? NO.
I believe there are several problems that need to be addressed.
First, some churchs believe that is ok to tell others to repeat after them and they are now speaking in tongues. I will not judge this, since I didn't know everything about the Bible and God. I for one do not think it is right, but that is my opinion and the way my church teaches.
The gift of speaking in tongues are for today because He is the same yesterday, today and forever. It was used in biblical times and if it was good for then is it good for today.
I believe that speaking in tongues with interpetation is for the edifation of the church. Praying in tongues can be used to edify God and to be use when we do not have the words to expresses what we are trying say. I believe that when we do not how to pray for things we are asking God to do(ex. for my husband to be born again.) the Holy Spirit intercedes for us through our language. Who else would know better then He to reach God when we feel like our prayers are hitting the ceiling and bouncing back to us.
Ok this is long and I have other things I would like to say but let's see where this goes.
Catty
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2006, 12:59:17 PM »

Hi, everyone. I have been reading the last couple of days some of the topics. Since I have been transplanted into an A/G Church from another church that didn't believe in speaking in tongues, I thought I would give my account on this subject. While growing up I remember Pentcoastal people being referred to as Holy roller and a few other names. I remember being told that people are taught to speak in tongues. So when I went to the alter and gave my heart to the Lord at the A/G church I was somewhat fearful when I was asked if I wanted to recieve the baptistism of the Holy Ghost. I got up from the alter and almost ran back to my seat. Several years later I recieved the baptistism of the holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongue. Did someone tell me to repeat after them? NO Do I speak the same language of someone else? NO.
First, some churchs believe that is ok to tell others to repeat after them and they are now speaking in tongues. I will not judge this, since I didn't know everything about the Bible and God. I for one do not think it is right, but that is my opinion and the way my church teaches.
The gift of speaking in tongues are for today because He is the same yesterday, today and forever. It was used in biblical times and if it was good for then is it good for today.
I believe that speaking in tongues with interpetation is for the edifation of the church. Praying in tongues can be used to edify God and to be use when we do not have the words to expresses what we are trying say. I believe that when we do not how to pray for things we are asking God to do(ex. for my husband to be born again.) the Holy Spirit intercedes for us through our language. Who else would know better then He to reach God when we feel like our prayers are hitting the ceiling and bouncing back to us.
Ok this is long and I have other things I would like to say but let's see where this goes.
Catty
catty, welcome to Christians Unite Cheesy
I'm sure you will enjoy visiting often, you will meet some very wonderful, God fearing Christians here.
The topic of 'tongues' has been around in the forum for quite sometime now, personally I have never posted in any of them, everyone has their own beliefs, I do however agree that God has given the gift of tongues to Christians today.  Paul mentioned in the Bible that he prays in his understanding and he prays in an unknown tongue. The Bible also states that he who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men but unto God.  1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
 1Co 14:15 ¶ What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
While I do believe that the gift of tongues is available today, not everyone has this gift, this does not mean that they are not saved, nor does it mean that they don't have the Holy Spirit living within them, for the moment a person is born again he becomes a new creature and the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in them, hence we are the temple of the Holy Spirit, nor in my opinion does it have to be made publicly known if someone has this gift or not, I personally believe that it is for the specific use God has intended it to be. Normally I keep my opinions on this topic to myself, but I do want to mention that when I am so overwhelmed with so many things going on around me and in the world in general, I often run to God not knowing where to begin praying or what to pray about and I find myself talking to God in a language I myself don't understand. This is something I don't do in public as I feel that when the need for me to pray in an unknown language it is for my personal conversation with God. Many people have different opinions and I am not one to judge anyone on this topic, I respect born again Chirstian as a brother or sister in Christ and I love them all equally the same.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 01:54:36 PM »

Hello catty. Welcome to Christians Unite. There are some wonderful Christians here and I hope that you will continue posting in fellowship with us.

If you have read the posts here as you have said then you already know that I agree with the Bible that speaking in tongues is a gift and that God can and does still use it to His benefit.

I believe that speaking in tongues with interpetation is for the edifation of the church.

No where does the Bible teach this in fact it teaches the opposite.

1Co 14:3  But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4  He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

1Co 14:22  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1Th 5:11  Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Many people use the word edify or edification without fully understanding its exact meaning. It means a structure or building. Therefore it is the building up of others in the word of God.

How do we do this? Not through tongues but through teaching and with teaching the understanding of the word of God. By exhortation which is the giving of advice and by comforting one another in the assurance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 02:31:01 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I want to make a very simple statement. If I have a one-track mind about anything, I hope and pray it's in sharing the Gospel of the Grace of God! If real Christians were to unite in the single and most important thing we could possibly do, it would definitely be sharing the Gospel of the Grace of God with the lost.

When I use the term "real Christian", I'm talking about people who already belong to JESUS, regardless of what differences they might have with each other. I MUST bluntly state that those differences ARE NOT Salvation issues, and they don't SAVE anyone who is lost and dying in their sins.

If anyone wants to talk about the REAL POWER OF GOD already demonstrated and given to mankind, there would be ONE SINGLE AND UNCONTESTED event:  JESUS AND THE CROSS!  This is Salvation, and there is no other issue that comes close in importance. There is one thing about this single and MOST important event that bothers some people: there is absolutely NOTHING here for a man to boast of. If there is anything at all to boast of, the boasting is SOLELY ABOUT JESUS CHRIST, our LORD AND SAVIOUR FOREVER! Anyone who is TRULY Saved couldn't possibly disagree with the above statement.

Ephesians 2:8-10 NASB  For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

2 Corinthians 12:9  NASB  And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Galatians 6:14 NASB  But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

It's also true that NO TRULY saved person could disagree with the above Scriptures. However, there is still a problem here for some people: there is nothing above for a man to boast of. If there is any boasting at all, it will be in JESUS and the CROSS!!

The REAL AND UNCONTESTED POWER OF GOD that all Christians are commissioned to share with this lost world is JESUS AND THE CROSS! Again, NO TRULY Saved person could possibly disagree with this statement. There is a problem that gets in the way of OBEYING THIS ULTIMATE MISSION. Some people call it the "me, me, me problem", and it really boils down to human pride and vanity.

NOW, look in this thread and tell me where JESUS and THE CROSS is the ultimate issue. Is JESUS and THE CROSS even mentioned in this thread? OR, is the "me, me, me problem" the only issue in this thread? I'll answer this question: the "me, me, me problem" is the only issue in this thread. The things that men boast of fills this thread, and there was no room for JESUS and THE CROSS!!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Rock Of Ages

Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.
Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
[originally When my eye-strings break in death]
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

Amen, Brother BEP, I am in agreement with you, we all need to focus on the real thing and do what we are commisioned to do by Jesus Himself:
Mr 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
We need to be focusing on Jesus and not on our own understandings, and we need to honor Him by obeying Him.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2006, 08:19:12 PM »

the reason that you may see alot of attention focused on "gifts" in these post is because of the posted topic. remember the topic? "TONGUES-A SIGN" SO I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH ALL THAT THE BIBLE HAS SAID IS TRUE. tongues is the topic, thats why i'm addressing that...so lets not twist it with all of our worldly wisdom so that we can get cu points. i preach and teach the bible everyday, and little teaching is geared towards the gift of tongues, but thats the topic here. if we were talking about salvation, we'd be in agreement, but we are talking about tongues...remember?

so after we've finished fooling everybody and finished convincing them that we have the mandatory point, lets go back to the topic as it was posted....after you research the topic...you'll remember why my focus is on tongues. HELLO!

never once did i post on any of my abilities, i never said i raised the dead, i said i've seen it done! REMEMBER? never said i healed the sick, i said i've seen it done! REMEMBER?

so what are we talking about? i'd rather boost in my infirmities that the power of christ may rest on me! his strength is made perfect in weakness...so i confess, i GKB, am a mess...but thank god for the power of christ saving me..giving me grace, providing me mercy....NOT MY STUDY HABITS, NOT MY RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, BUT HIS MERCY AND GRACE! you can't earn this or by this...if it were up to our might, or statures, or if it were for sale, none of us could afford it, NONE OF US!

so once again to god be the glory for the things he has done. now god bless you brothers and sisters.

and catty keep seeking...like you are....for you will reap (or continue reaping) in due season if you faint not.

don't worry about who agrees because the road is narrow!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:11:23 PM by GKB » Logged
catty

Its all about you Lord Jesus, its all about you!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »

I guess I should have had in my response that when someone is saved they are filled with the Holy Spirit. I believe that there is a difference in being being filled and being baptized in the Holy Spirit. So one can be saved without being baptized in the Holy Spirit, but when you seek a closer relationship with God I believe that is when you are baptized in the Holy Spirit and the evidence of that is speaking tongues. I don't believe that is where we should want to stay. I think that with the end of time coming even quicker that we need to seek other gifts such as discernment of spirits. We should not allow ourselves to become comfortable at any one stage of knowing the Lord that we should seek everything the Lord has for so we can be equipped with his power and knowledge to do the battle we have been called to do.
May God bless us all where ever we are our in walk with God and He put a desire in our hearts to seek a deeper walk with Him.
catty
It's all about you Lord Jesus
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »

CATTY,

i agree, but wait....you've just entered yourself in battle. people are going to try to give you all kinds of scriptures to tell you thats not true....but hold fast to your doctrine and your teahing....just keep at it...don't let anybody convince you that god is not real on the level that you know him. many are not going to understand....because with all our titles and training, we haven't reached this basic learning yet....so be blessed and get ready.

i do encourage you in the lord...and for your sake i may need to continue to follow this closely so that you are not alone in the truth, but may god bless all our sisters and brothers on this site.

once again, i'm just talking about tongues here, because thats what the topic calls for...so i do agree!
Reba
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2006, 10:32:03 PM »

Catty

Nicely said Catty   Smiley
GKB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2006, 03:50:05 AM »

catty, what is a/g church? and what type of church were you attending prior to your switch, and what made you switch?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the