Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:06:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Jesus-Santa reference by President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus-Santa reference by President  (Read 931 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:50:17 PM »

Bush's Jesus joke: 'Santa, thanks for coming'
President alludes to Christ at National Christmas tree lighting
Posted: December 2, 2005
6:05 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

An the annual lighting of the National Christmas tree last night, President Bush made a remark alluding to Jesus Christ, which some feel compared Him with Santa Claus.

Flanked by the first lady, as well as members of Congress and the Cabinet, Bush told the public, "The lighting of the National Christmas tree is one of the great traditions in our nation's capital. Each year, we gather here to celebrate the season of hope and joy – and to remember the story of one humble life that lifted the sights of humanity. Santa, thanks for coming. Glad you made it."

The remark received a few chuckles from those in attendance, as Bush continued to speak to a Santa Claus figure, stating, "I know you've got a lot of commitments this time of year. By the way, we have a lot of chimneys at the White House if you're looking for something to do."

While never saying Jesus by name, Bush did make a mention of God when he quoted President Franklin Roosevelt's 1941 Christmas Eve address to the nation, when FDR said, "Against enemies who preach the principles of hate and practice them, we set our faith in human love, and in God's care for us and all men everywhere."

Bush added: "We ask for God to watch over our men and women in uniform who are serving overseas."

(Video and text of President Bush's remarks at the tree lighting are available here.)

In the ongoing national debate over the this month's federal holiday, first lady Laura Bush went on the record on Wednesday by calling the giant evergreen inside the White House a "Christmas tree."

The first lady was asked by a member of the media, "Mrs. Bush – on holiday tree versus Christmas tree? You have no problem calling this a Christmas tree?"

"Well, no, not really," Mrs. Bush responded. "At this season, we know that Americans celebrate the season in a lot of different ways. We'll have a Hanukkah party, Hanukkah reception here at the White House later during the month. But I think we've always called this the White House Christmas tree."

Says Bush 'meant exactly what he said' at tree lighting ceremony
Posted: December 6, 2005
5:33 p.m. Eastern

By Les Kinsolving
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Presidential press secretary Scott McClellan told reporters today President Bush "meant exactly what he said" when he alluded to Jesus during his remarks at the National Christmas Tree lighting ceremony only to end that part of his speech with a reference to Santa Claus.

As WorldNetDaily reported, flanked by the first lady, as well as members of Congress and the Cabinet, Bush told the public at the event: "The lighting of the National Christmas tree is one of the great traditions in our nation's capital. Each year, we gather here to celebrate the season of hope and joy – and to remember the story of one humble life that lifted the sights of humanity. Santa, thanks for coming. Glad you made it."

The remark received a few chuckles from those in attendance, as Bush continued to speak to a Santa Claus figure, stating, "I know you've got a lot of commitments this time of year. By the way, we have a lot of chimneys at the White House if you're looking for something to do."

At today's White House press briefing, WND asked McClellan if the president would apologize to Christians offended by his referring to Jesus as Santa.

Suggesting the administration failed to see a problem with the remark, McClellan responded, "The president meant exactly what he said."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:03:15 PM »

McClellan: Bush not comparing Jesus, Santa
Spokesman says president 'was changing topics' in tree-lighting speech
Posted: December 7, 2005
5:36 p.m. Eastern

By Les Kinsolving
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Presidential press secretary Scott McClellan today told WND President Bush, in his comments at the National Christmas Tree lighting ceremony, was not comparing Jesus with Santa Claus in remarks he made.

McClellan sent WND an e-mail about the issue yesterday afternoon after the newssite had asked him at Tuesday's press briefing about the Bush comments.

WND Exclusive WND AT THE WHITE HOUSE
McClellan: Bush not comparing Jesus, Santa
Spokesman says president 'was changing topics' in tree-lighting speech
Posted: December 7, 2005
5:36 p.m. Eastern

By Les Kinsolving
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Presidential press secretary Scott McClellan today told WND President Bush, in his comments at the National Christmas Tree lighting ceremony, was not comparing Jesus with Santa Claus in remarks he made.

McClellan sent WND an e-mail about the issue yesterday afternoon after the newssite had asked him at Tuesday's press briefing about the Bush comments.

As WorldNetDaily reported, flanked by the first lady, as well as members of Congress and the Cabinet, Bush told the public at last week's event: "The lighting of the National Christmas Tree is one of the great traditions in our nation's capital. Each year, we gather here to celebrate the season of hope and joy – and to remember the story of one humble life that lifted the sights of humanity. Santa, thanks for coming. Glad you made it."

In response to WND's question at yesterday's briefing, McClellan stated, "The president meant exactly what he said."

The e-mail several hours later said, "You were wrong when you suggested the president said Jesus was Santa," adding, "They were two separate thoughts."

Today, McClellan further clarified the issue, even joking that "a little elf" had sent WND the e-mail.

Here is the exchange:

WND: Scott, just one question today. At yesterday's briefing, the transcript records my quoting the president in his saying, "Each year we gather here to celebrate the season of hope and joy and to remember the story of one humble life that lifted the sights of humanity. Santa, thanks for coming." When I asked you WorldNetDaily's question, will the president apologize to Christians offended by his referring to Jesus as Santa, you responded, "The president meant exactly what he said, Les." But last night, I received an e-mail which had your name on it, which said there were two separate – (laughter.)

McCLELLAN: Keep working on my e-mails, sending you things.

WND: There were two separate thoughts –

McCLELLAN: Must have been a little – must have been a little elf. (Laughter.)

WND: Well, wait a minute, let me just tell you what was in the e-mail –

McCLELLAN: Go ahead. I want to give you the stage.

WND: – which it said, there were –

McCLELLAN: I think I know where you're going with this.

WND: – two separate thoughts – after he spoke about the meaning of Christmas, he then recognized Santa. And first of all, I want to ask, was that your e-mail? And was it your final and conclusive answer rather than, the president meant –

McCLELLAN: Well, it was my e-mail. He wasn't, as you phrased it yesterday, comparing the two. Santa was at the event for the children that were there, and I don't think you want to take Santa away from all those children.

WND: Oh, no, no, I just want to clarify that the president did not mean exactly what he said, and your good correction.

McCLELLAN: No, the president – that's what the president was saying in his remarks. He was changing topics in his remarks. He stated the meaning of Christmas –

WND: But you didn't say he was changing topics in his remarks, yesterday, did you?

McCLELLAN: Les, I actually did not attend the event. I looked back at the remarks after the briefing to see exactly what it was –

WND: But it's all clarified now.

McCLELLAN: – but what the president said stands.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the