Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is 'eviler' a word?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is 'eviler' a word?  (Read 19078 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2005, 03:29:28 PM »

I recently wrote a short story containing the word 'eviler'. I put this word in there because, like 'worser', 'eviler' does not exist and is fun to say.

My mother read this story, and this is what she said: "Its really funny. However, just so you know, 'eviler' is not a word."

I assured her that I, having graduated highschool and being old enough to buy beer, knew very well that 'eviler' is not a real word.

Then I remembered that my omniscient MS Works spell-checker, which will NOT tolerate 'occulomotor', 'appendicular', 'nare' or 'vampiric' (all of which are real words), had no problem with 'eviler'.

In the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, 'eviler' is a valid word, and has every right to the English language as do 'evil' and 'more evil'.

Does anyone have an opinion on the subject?

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »

'eviler' is an irregular inflected form of evil. An inflected form simply means to change the form of a word, signaling change in tense, voice, mood, person, gender, number or case. An irregular inflected form simply means that the word does not fit into the category of the normal rules for changing the form of a word.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »

I recently wrote a short story containing the word 'eviler'. I put this word in there because, like 'worser', 'eviler' does not exist and is fun to say.

My mother read this story, and this is what she said: "Its really funny. However, just so you know, 'eviler' is not a word."

I assured her that I, having graduated highschool and being old enough to buy beer, knew very well that 'eviler' is not a real word.

Then I remembered that my omniscient MS Works spell-checker, which will NOT tolerate 'occulomotor', 'appendicular', 'nare' or 'vampiric' (all of which are real words), had no problem with 'eviler'.

In the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, 'eviler' is a valid word, and has every right to the English language as do 'evil' and 'more evil'.

Does anyone have an opinion on the subject?

Hi Willow,

These questions interest me, so I checked and here's what I found.

Evil can be an adjective, noun, or adverb.  No entries for the noun or adverb.  However, evil as an adjective is a different story.  Here's what my dictionay says:

Evil, adj. sometimes eviler or eviller; evilest or evillest.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 05:01:07 PM »

Hello Willowbirch,

My first thought was that "eviler" could not be a real word. I found it in the second dictionary I tried, "Dictionary.com". According to Dictionary.com, "eviler" is Old (Middle) English, and it was listed as "archaic".

So, I would say use "eviler" unless this is for a grade with some really strict professor.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 05:16:58 PM »

Willow,

Sorry, I forgot to tell you what dictionary I used.  It's Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged (it's the one that's about 6 inches thick and can't be lifted) hehe  They're the ones that are usually in the public libraries on a stand, but I'm fortunate enough to have one at home.

Grace and peace,
cris

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 07:46:51 AM »

Thank you! I told my mother that three people and their dictionaries agreed that 'eviler' is a real word, and she said, "You actually know people online who will talk to you like that?"
What a blessing this forum is, where people talk to you, even about silly things!  Cheesy

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:42:32 AM »

What a blessing this forum is, where people talk to you, even about silly things!

Amen, it is a blessing to me also.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

Thank you! I told my mother that three people and their dictionaries agreed that 'eviler' is a real word, and she said, "You actually know people online who will talk to you like that?"
What a blessing this forum is, where people talk to you, even about silly things!  Cheesy

Hello Willowbirch,

Sister, just tell your mother that you are hanging out with intellectuals.  Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:20:23 AM »

Hello Willowbirch,

Sister, just tell your mother that you are hanging out with intellectuals.  Grin

Where? Huh

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 10:45:40 PM »

Hello Willowbirch,

Where? Huh

YIKES DW aka Bob that is scarey!!  Undecided

I think that is a bad word!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 10:46:34 PM by MsGuidedAngel » Logged

TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 11:03:26 PM »

If "ain't" can be a word, then "eviler" can too.... Not that I'm stupider than most  Grin  (I'm the one that thought "Freedom of Speech" was the second amendment to the constitution .... oy vey!)

Blessings-

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:35:17 AM »

Hello Willowbirch,

Where? Huh

YIKES DW aka Bob that is scarey!!  Undecided

No it isn't that is just a bird, as this is a gator.  Cheesy

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 04:15:26 AM »

Grin   Grin   Grin  ROFL! - Dreamweaver, I see that you've been loose with that graphics program again. The alligator looks like he's posing for a toothpaste commercial.  Grin

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »

Hello Willowbirch,

I will. It may give her some hope for my future.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 12:12:40 AM »

Hello Willowbirch,

I will. It may give her some hope for my future.

Hello Willowbirch,

Sister, just show her the group pictures above as proof that you are hanging out with intellectuals.   Grin  Grin  Grin

If that doesn't convince her, just holler and I'm sure that we can arrange for more pictures.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 73:26 NASB  My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the