Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:53:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  FBI virus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FBI virus  (Read 1545 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:33:37 PM »

Hey everyone, if you get a e-mail. Saying it is from the FBI, Don't open the attachment! I myself am a victuim of this nasty virus.

Apparently, messages from the FBI and CIA are the way to spread worms, a security firm said Thursday as it tallied up Sober's wildfire spread during November and concluded that the outbreak was the biggest ever.

E-mail security provider Postini said that it had quarantined more than 218 million Sober-infected messages in the last seven days, more than four times the 50 million-message average that it blocks in a run-of-the-mill month.

"This Sober generated close to a 1,500 percent increase in virus-infected e-mail traffic in the past week,” said Scott Petry, vice president of products and engineering at Postini, in a statement.

Petry also said that Sober's attack was twice as large as the largest previous on Postini's records.

Other security vendors took note of the recent Sober--the variant is dubbed Sober.x, Sober.y, or Sober.z by most anti-virus firms--and its impact during November. Both Sophos and Fortinet, for instance, had the new Sober at the top of their November charts.

According to Sophos, Sober.z (its designation for the worm) accounted for a whopping 43 percent of all malicious code detected during the month, even though the worm debuted only last week. Fortinet tagged it as accounting for 25 percent of the malware it blocked.

At the peak of the outbreak, one in every 13 e-mails was a Sober-infected message, said Sophos.

"The Sober family may seem as hard to exterminate as a colony of cockroaches," said Carole Theriault, senior security consultant for Sophos, in a statement. "[But] mocking the feds is a sure-fire way of goading the authorities, and you can't help but wonder whether the author is desperate to be caught."

Sober spread in messages purportedly from the FBI, CIA, and other governments' law enforcement agencies, as well as in messages promising video clips of socialite Paris Hilton.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 10:41:18 PM »

Hi Brother Bob,

Hope you are doing fine. Sorry to hear you got hit by that nasty thing. I received it in my email but my anti-virus got to it first and destroyed it before I got a chance to open it or I would have had the same problem.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:49:25 PM »

Thanks for the warning DW.  Did it take you long to get it off your computer?  I had a Trojan last month...........first one I ever had...............it was a royal pain trying to get rid of it.  It didn't come in any emails, either...........that, I'm sure of.  I have no idea where it came from.

How are you doing?

Grace and peace,
cris

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the