Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Firefox 1.5 released today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefox 1.5 released today  (Read 1496 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2005, 01:17:01 PM »

By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

The new version of Firefox will be available for download later today.

After a host of test releases and one false start, version 1.5 of the open-source browser will be ready this afternoon US pacific standard time - evening UK time.

A release outlining its new features, as well as some additional news from the Mozilla Foundation, will be issued tomorrow. The browser will be available for free at www.getfirefox.com and www.mozilla.com.

The browser will include an improved updating system, faster navigation using the "Back" and "Forward" tabs, and a redesigned Options/Preferences window that increases the number of category icons and moves them from the left side of the window to the top.

Firefox 1.5 also adds support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), JavaScript 1.6 and new versions of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

The update includes better pop-up blocking and a host of security improvements, plus the addition of Answers.com to Firefox's list of search engines and a Clear Private Data function that allows users to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:34:17 AM »

Brother

Have you downloaded this updated browser yet and if so, how's it working? I have read a number of reports on computer forums stating that lots of problems are being found with this latest release and many people are uninstalling this version and going back to the previous one. I know that a number of extensions are rendered useless. I may wait a few days and see how things have settled but was just curious if you have found any problems.

Joey.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:45:55 AM »

Hello Joey,

Brother, I appreciate the information. I am currently using RC3, and I'm not having any problems at all. I have usually waited about 10 days after each release to upgrade. This gives the other programmers time to upgrade the extensions. It's also true that some writers might drop the ball and not upgrade the extension. If so, you just have to either look for a replacement or live without it if you upgrade. So far, most of the extensions and themes that I really like have been upgraded.

I can tell you with certainty that there have been some really big and nice improvements with each release. There are many speed and safety improvements. I might add that Thunderbird is also an excellent email program, and it works great with Firefox. As a combination, I think that Firefox and Thunderbird are easily number one right now, and the competition isn't even close. It's really pretty amazing when you consider that everything is completely free with no strings attached.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 3:2-3 NASB  You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:20:25 AM »

Hi Joey,

Yes I have it downloaded and installed. So far the only extension that is not working is "Smiley Xtra". I tried to download an upgrade for it that claimed to be compatible but it kept coming up not compatible. I am going to wait a few days and see if another upgrade will be available for it. Sometimes it takes awhile for the extensions to be upgraded correctly.

Everything else is working just great.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the