Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Devotions for Teens
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Devotions for Teens  (Read 115957 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2006, 10:41:42 AM »

The River

By: Scott Michael Ringo

The river was clear and gentle and a welcomed contrast to the harsh dry sands the Spanish had just spent weeks in before finding it.  Surely this was a place that would be good...ahhh, but what is the small settlement just up ahead?  Sure enough, other people had already found the river and had also thought it to be a good area to settle down in.  That day in 1691, the area formerly known as Yanaguana to the Payaya Indians, which means The Clear Water, would be renamed San Antonio.  In later years it would be Mission San Antonio de Valero or better known as The Alamo.  In 1836, The Alamo hosted the battle that would give Texans their freedom.

It was necessary, especially in the early years of a country, for settlements to establish themselves around a good water source.  Water was the first concern for lasting survival.  Today, water is just as necessary and villages, cities or any occupied area must have a good water source for those living in or around it.

Just as water is important to us as humans it is also necessary to have an established spiritual water source.  Without a spiritual water source, continuing survival on a spiritual plane is impossible.  Unlike the treacherous undertaking it was in the early years of civilizations to find water to establish settlements by, finding the spiritual water which every human thirsts for is readily available.

On the final and climactic day of the Feast, Jesus took his stand. He cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way, just as the Scripture says." John 7:37-38

After thirsting for thousands of years in a spiritual life that seemed like the largest desert, humanity had right before their eyes the source of living water.  Once they drank the water that Jesus gave them they would never thirst again.  Like the physical river the Spanish found, there are already people who have found this spiritual river and settled. However, there is always room for more to live there. Also like the name of the river the Spanish found, this river is the cleanest and purest spiritual water.  There will be no battle fought to gain the inhabitants of this settlement their freedom, because Jesus died and rose again to gain their freedom.

Throughout the ages many have tried to counterfeit this spiritual river that God has given them and instead create their own.  "Stand in shock, heavens, at what you see! Throw up your hands in disbelief--this can't be!" God’s Decree. "My people have committed a compound sin: they've walked out on me, the fountain of fresh flowing waters, and then dug cisterns-- cisterns that leak, cisterns that are no better than sieves.” Jeremiah 2:12-14

The river that God has provided, Jesus, is the perfect spiritual river for each of us.  In an attempt to make our own water or find substitute water from a different river than Him will only give us frustration and eventually death instead of freedom. 

My Challenge To Us

Inside each of us there is a small voice telling us there is more to life than we already have.  We know the voice, we hear it in the mornings when we are getting ready for work, and we hear it in the evenings as we are falling asleep.  We know the voice and many times decide it is something that we must overachieve to fulfill.  However, that voice is God calling to us to settle ourselves by the only river that we will ever need.  Many of us cannot believe it can be so simple and so we spend many years searching the "desert" only to find ourselves parched and desperate for the cool, clean river.  Others tell themselves that they want the river but need to get through just one more week.  Without the spiritual water in our lives, which comes from a daily relationship with Jesus, we will all certainly die.  Take a minute and ask yourself if you have a daily relationship with Jesus or have been trying to quench your spiritual thirst with church attendance, religious activity, or something else.  Jesus, the living water, is not found through others (though they can help you find him); instead the river is something only you can decide to settle next to.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2006, 10:42:39 AM »

Joyful Worship

By: Beth Hays

Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord.  (Psalm 89:15) NLT

Worship. I used to struggle with the real meaning of that word. I went to church on Sunday and sung a few songs, and even thought about them a little bit. I figured that was my “worship” quota for the day. I did sing praise-and-worship songs…isn’t that enough?

Then I experienced REAL worship. I stood in the very presence of God. That was mind-blowing. I stood in front of His throne and I told Him just how much I adored him. It was a place of intense love and gentle peace. It was incredible. And what followed that experience was a new depth of God. I desired to go back to that place. I longed for more reasons for worship, so I started to read the Word more. All of my pain left my focus because it was stayed on Him alone. And most of all, I was filled with overflowing joy.

Joy, my friends, is something much greater than happiness. You can only be happy when everything is going right. But, when your life is in shambles and you can still smile and praise God…that is joy at work. True joy is so much more beautiful than happiness and is all-consuming. You can’t lose it because it isn’t dependent upon circumstances. It’s yours for as long as you continue to worship.

Dear ones, hear God calling you gently into His presence and follow. Turn up some great music or sit in silence and tell Him how much you adore Him. He longs to hear from you. Know that when you do, your heart will know a new depth. Then, keep worshipping and experience the most amazing thing on this earth—pure worship.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »

Extravagant Worship

By: Ivy

A few weeks ago, I bought a book written by Hillsong's Darlene Zschech entitled "Extravagant Worship". The title alone caught my eye, because the dictionary defines the word EXTRAVAGANT as 2a. exceeding the limits of reason; b. lacking in moderation, balance, and restraint; c. extremely or excessively elaborate; 3a. spending much more than necessary; b. profuse, lavish.

I used to think that worship, in order to be holy, had to be quiet, and solemn. But in her book, Darlene says that God has given us his permission to "let all that is within me [us] bless His holy name" [Psalm 103:1]. And I thought, "everything that is inside of me is full of energy, shouldn't I offer something like that to God?".

I used to be ashamed to lift my hands, dance, or jump up and down during worship. I used to think that I would be making a fool of myself. But you know what? I realized, I shouldn't care at all! Because music is not the only form of worship! The lifting of my hands, my dancing, my jumping up and down, those are all forms of worship as well! And worship pleases the Lord!

So, when you go to worship, don't be afraid to lift up your hands in worship of the Lord. If the song makes you want to jump around and dance (try: One Way by Hillsong United) do it! And do it in a way that pleases the Lord. Don't put your focus on anybody else, block them out. Think of worship as a vertical line that connects you to the Lord. Don't let anyone else get in between your special time with your Creator. I challenge everyone to let everything that is inside of you worship the Lord. Are you guys up for it?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2006, 10:31:40 AM »

Our Whipping Boy

By: Ariel D. Gant

“Christ carried the burden of our sins.  He was nailed to the cross, so that we would stop sinning and start living right. By his cuts and bruises you are healed.” (1 Peter 2:24 CEV)

Late the other night, I was talking to a friend and she mentioned the book The Whipping Boy.  I had heard of it, but never read it.  As she proceeded to tell me the story line, it reminded me so much of what Christ did for us.

As the story goes, a poor boy living on the streets was taken for a place to live and food to eat in the palace.  The hook?  Every time the prince, who wasn’t allowed to be hurt in any way, did something wrong, Jemmy, the whipping boy, was required to take his punishment.  They beat him until Prince Brat “understood” why what he did was wrong.  And for quite a while, it didn’t affect him.  But after being kidnapped together and having to rely on one another, they learned to trust and befriend each other.  Developing a relationship with Jemmy made the prince realize the consequences of his actions. It got harder and harder  for him to watch the whipping boy take the punishment that he deserved.  After a while, he decided to get rid of his whipping boy, and take Jemmy as a “brother” to live as an equal in the palace.

It suddenly clicked as she explained the basis of the story how intolerable it’d be for me to watch her suffer for my actions.  It’d be even more intolerable for her, because I’m so much closer to her than anyone else. But, I can’t stand to see anyone hurt, especially not for my poor choices.  It was then I realized that that’s exactly what I do to God, over and over.  I make the decision to sin, forgetting the severity of such an action.  I so easily fall into the trap of believing that God doesn’t care, so it doesn’t hurt him when I sin.  Deep in my heart, I know he loves me to a depth I can’t even begin to fathom.  But on the surface, it’s hard to remember that with the day-to-day trials of life.  And so Christ becomes my whipping boy, as I merciless give into temptation after temptation, crucifying my Lord all over again. 

This verse has long since been a favorite.  It’s had multiple meanings of depth and importance in my life, but now it’s taken on a new one.  It serves as a reminder that my sin – whether I choose to believe it or not – deeply hurts my God.  And when I refuse to recognize how much I’m hurting him, I’ve fallen into the same callous, heartless boy who prolonged the whipping boy’s punishment.  Watching The Passion, I remember continuously thinking, “That’s enough!  That’s enough!!!  Just let him hold me…he doesn’t deserve that; it was my fault…just stop hurting him…” I refuse to use him as my whipping boy any longer.  I’m choosing to stop the sins that have taken control over my life.  And I challenge you, too, as you begin to grasp the concept, to make the same decision.  Stop letting Satan continue to beat up on our Jesus because of our poor, selfish decisions, and realize the punishment he takes for you also becomes your healing and your freedom.  And to think he did it so willingly...

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2006, 10:32:24 AM »

Facts or Truth?

By: Courtney Huff

“Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.” (James 1:2-4, Message).

Have you ever had to walk through a time and a place where your faith is tested to the point that you can hardly believe you still believe? God has had me in that place for the past several months as I’ve dealt with a situation that is so unjust and so hurtful that it often seems beyond words. I have prayed and pleaded with God more times than I can count to step in and change things, to stand up for the defenseless, to bind up the brokenhearted and save the afflicted. I mean, that’s what He’s supposed to excel in doing, right? Well, so far, for some reason beyond me (I guess that’s why He’s God and I’m not!), He’s chosen not to do that – at least, not yet.

But what’s so amazing is that God has increased my faith in Him even though the circumstances haven’t changed. Something my pastor said once has stuck with me through this whole experience. In every situation, our faith is affected by whether we look at the facts or at the truth. All of us have facts that surround us. For me, my fact is I am being treated unjustly and have a weighty sorrow I can’t escape. Maybe your fact is that you’re stuck in an abusive family, or your best friend is hurting himself and you can’t stop him, or every person you thought you could trust has turned on you, or something else equally as difficult. So often, we only base how we feel and our faith on these facts of our lives.

But listen – there’s more to life than just the facts! There’s also the truth – God’s truth. Listen to what He says…The Lord is your strength and your shield. (Ps. 28:6) You are more than a conqueror. (Rom. 8:37) You are an over comer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of your testimony. (Rev. 12:11) You are God’s workmanship and handiwork. (Eph. 2:10) You are God’s chosen, holy and beloved (1 Thes. 1:4).

And of course, the list goes on. All of this remains truth, regardless of our circumstances. What happens around us does not negate what God has said! For me, because God has said He is my defender and refuge in time of trouble (Psalm 46:1-3), I can rest confidently in that truth, regardless of what the facts of my life are right now.

So today I pray that your faith would be “forced out into the open” in the midst of the circumstances you’re facing as you look to God’s word for the truth that never fails.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2006, 01:44:25 PM »

Everything

By: Matt Crawford

“His divine power has given us everything that has to do with life and Godliness, through the knowledge of Him that has called us to glory and virtue:" (2nd Peter 1:3)

Recently I had a serious life issue come up. I came to a point where I had to have a confirmation one way or another regarding a matter, and I needed it right away. It was a situation where, if I was wrong, I would be walking on thin ice and have to kill the idea immediately. So that night I prayed to God, that He would settle the matter once and for all, so I could simply follow His plan for me. The very next day I got a devotional writing, via e-mail, from a brother in Christ (who had no way at all of knowing what I prayed,) which particular piece had biblical counseling on the exact issue I was praying about. I had an immediate need, and God gave an immediate response.

The verse above says God has given us everything that pertains to life and Godliness. That means that from the smallest to the greatest details of your life, He has a plan for, and is willing to give you what you need to follow that plan. Whether it be an issue in your walk with Christ, or just details in your personal life - it may not always be immediate, as was the case for me, but He always gives what is needed for His will to be done. I can testify to that being true, because even what happened the other day with a devotional that answered prayers, has happened to me enough times that I am not surprised anymore.

It stinks that we get into the habit of watering down our faith to being a set of principles or virtues, or just theology, as opposed to relationship. Praying to God and expecting a literal answer, in whatever form, is not the norm in too many believers. Or if people believe He can answer, they don’t pray about certain things, because they are careless, or they think they are expected to use their own judgment in every event. I am guilty of both, and the result is always bad.

Words can’t describe how much more peace you have from knowing God will give you the right answer. Today’s bible verse sets us straight, telling us that He has given us everything. Life and Godliness are words that encompass every detail for the Christian. Whether it be school, church, ministry, relationships, home, spending, career, or even what kind of party to go to (or not go to.) You have a God who has given everything for you. All you have to do is have the faith to accept that, and to trust him for answers and guidance for everything. To not do so is actually un-biblical.  We have a God who literally answers prayers. Try Him, and see!   

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »

Deadly Decisions

By: Ariel Gant

“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)

Blair was a senior in our youth group.  Sometimes, I think that just the fact that he was standing in the room made people laugh.  He was funny, outgoing, unique, and daring.  He was charismatic, enjoyable, and seemingly confident.  And Blair knew God.  Like all of us, he struggled with his faith.  He struggled with issues in his own life, his past addictions, trusting God, and letting Him be the center of his life.  But Blair knew God in a pretty cool way.

January 20, 2005 was the last time I saw Blair.  He hadn’t been at Crosspoint, our youth program, in several months.  He’d been really struggling and slightly ashamed of coming back – to us and to God.  The message that night was crafted by God for him, I’m sure of it.  He sat in our small group, with this look of unspeakable uncertainty, fear, and begging for gentle acceptance and love.  He knew we’d accept him, but Satan had quite a hold on him. 

The next even, Monday, I got a call from my group leader while walking through Wal-mart that made me struggle to understand what God was doing.  Blair had been in an accident Sunday night/Monday morning at 3:26.  He’d been driving down a relatively straight road when he lost control and hit a telephone pole, after taking out a mailbox.  A transformer was knocked off, igniting the car, and a live wire left where he stepped when getting out of the car.  The friend who was with him tried to extinguish the fire, but got scared when a nearby neighbor, blasting out of his front door asked if everyone was okay.  Blair was taken to the hospital and after a week of ups and downs, hopes and let downs, they made the decision to take him off life support.  The only activity in his brain was his brain stem, and he’d be a vegetable forever.  After removing him from life support Thursday evening, it took him until nearly 4 am Friday morning to finally take his last breath. 

Though Blair knew God, he struggled with drugs and alcohol.  That night – his mom’s birthday – he was supposed to be spending the night with a friend.  Instead, he’d gotten pretty drunk (nearly twice our legal blood alcohol content) and gone driving after 3 am.  I questioned to understand how God could take his life.  I was hurt and confused and trying to find the answers.  And then I realized how many people came to church – for Blair – that otherwise had never stepped foot in a church (over 200).  Several accepted Christ.  Several more returned to their devotion to him. 

The consequences of Blair’s actions finally took him home.  But I know he no longer suffers.  I know he’s hanging out with God, free of pain and struggle.  And I realize that had God not taken him now, he most likely would have fallen away from faith altogether.  In a way, that was God's gift to him.  And even in his death, he’s made more of an impact on people’s lives for Christ than I believe he ever could have done in life.  This is in no means my approval to sin – but a reminder of the seriousness of sin and the affect your life can have on the lives of those around you.  I know quite a few people who I’ll be partying with in Heaven because of Blair’s life.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »

Be a Witness

By: Breanna Stubblefield

"Therefore said he unto them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth laborers into his harvest." (Luke 10:2)

You have something inside of you that can prevent someone from going to hell. As Christians, we are continuously growing in the Lord. Once we reach the mature level of being in a serious relationship with Christ, that's when He can use us. Our task and service to the Lord is to go out and be a witness. We need to live our lives according to God's word and know the word. He wants to use us, but He can only use a willing and clean vessel. It's your choice today and everyday to say, "Yes Lord, I'll do whatever you say; to live in complete surrender to the you, Lord.

To live in His perfect love and share the love and gospel of Christ. God will use someone with the desire and heart to be used for His glory, rather than someone without it. God will give you boldness, if you just ask. Depend on God and He will guide you. If you kneel before God, You can stand up to anyone. What can man do to us?

I encourage you to go out and be a witness to those around you. Listen to God's voice, He'll show you who to go to and what to say. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.”(Prov 3:5,6) Remember that God goes before you. God Bless You!!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »

Exhorting One Another

By: Jeff Lappano

”But exhort one another daily, while it is called today, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.” (Hebrews 3:13)

Hey Jeff-
Could you write on exhortation, I have hard time doing that... ~Iz

As brothers and Sisters in the Lord. it is our duty to exhort one another. But what does it mean to exhort one another? Of course when we think of exhortation, we think of encouragement. Yes, of course we’re to encourage one another. As we all run our different races, we need those on the side cheering us on. However, there is more to this thing called exhortation. In dealing with the gifts of the spirit, Paul tells us that not only is exhortation a gift of the spirit in Romans 12, but also prophecy is for the edification or exhortation of the church. In his call to Jeremiah, God details what prophecy is, both of the Old Testament, and New Testament. “To root out and to pull down, to destroy and to throw down, to build and to plant.” (Jeremiah1:10).

Exhortation isn’t always fun and games. Exhortation is used to build us up to be better. Have you ever seen demolition crews use dynamite to take out old casinos in Las Vegas? Why are they taking down the old casinos? Most likely to build way better ones. Those built in the beginning of “Sin City” aren’t as great as the ones that developers are building today. They tear down the old to build bigger and better. Now, don’t go gambling but understand that this is an example of what exhortation is. 

Yes, sometimes exhortation is fun and a great encouragement; but sometimes exhorting someone may include dealing with them about something in their life that they need to get rid of. As in everything in the actions of a Believer, this to must be done out of love. If you are going to confront someone about something in order to tear it down to build a better them, you must make sure your doing it with love. Again, as a child of God, you must exhort one another. This isn’t just for the pastors and other leaders of the church but for every Believer, both old and young.

Finally I just want to remind you if you have a Sunday Special request you would like me to write about, let me know. Unfortunately, I can’t read minds, but I can read the message board as well as my email. Again my email address is Jeff@tddm.org. Be blessed always in Jesus, name.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »

Greatest Calling of All

By: Andy Ketterer

The Apostle Paul, the Prophet Isaiah, King David, Moses and Noah are some people that come to mind when I think of people that had "great" callings in the Lord. Their lives were full of action and victory. The accomplished so much for God. They were awesome instruments of God!!

The crossing of the Red Sea, the Flood, slaying a giant with a sling and professing of the coming Messiah are indeed great events. But these events are not what made these men great. Although the Lord called these men to take part in these events, they had a greater calling than this. This calling was much more difficult to achieve.

If you were to preach to 10,000 people per week, it would not be the greatest accomplishment you could do as a Christian. If you were to become a multibillionaire and dedicated your life helping the poor and needy, it would not be the greatest accomplishment you could do. To live your life as Christ would, no matter your rank in the church or financial status, is by far the greatest thing you can accomplish!! And it is the most difficult.

The greatest tool you have to witness to others of Christ is your life. You are a witness of Christ to your teachers and peers by the way you conduct yourself in school. You are a witness of Christ to your boss and coworkers by the way you perform at work. You are a witness to your family by the way you conduct yourself in everyday life. Handing out tracts and giving Bible studies is meaningless and pointless if you do not live your life as a Christian, a Christlike person. People make note of the things you say, but they are studying the life you live.

Take a few minutes, prayerfully consider what kind of witness you are to those around you. Prayerfully consider the relationship you have with Christ. The greatest glory God can receive is if you live a Godly life. This is the greatest calling of all. May God bless you richly!!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »

Unto The Least Of These

By: Adam R. Rinehart

TDDM Update: TDDM's Message Board will be done for the next week while security updates are made to improve the board. In the mean time please visit our chat board at www.tddm.org/chat.shtml. Tony (founder of TDDM) and Amber (devotional writer) have just returned from their honeymoon and devotionals will resume normal schedule.

Matthew 25:40 “And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.”

Boy, do we have it good.  Roofs over our heads, food in our stomachs, clothes on our backs, cars to drive, beds to sleep in, and many more things that we all tend to take for granted, boy do we have it good.  We believe in a Savior that died on the cross for our sins and rose again so that we may have eternal life.  Boy, do we have it good. Salvation that takes us from our rotted sinful human nature that was given to us, not by the things that we have done, but given to us as a free gift. Boy, do we have it good.  I never realized how much I take that all for granted and how much I really have it good until last week while I was in Atlanta for a conference.

I had driven from where I was staying to the conference, and after I had parked about a block from the venue, I began to walk and get ready for the conference.  While on my way, I began to be followed by a homeless man, who wanted to ask me for money.  “Do I talk to him?”  “Do I just ignore him?”  “What if he gets violent?”  All of those questions began to run through my head.  I knew that he was following me and going to ask me for money, but I had none.  I was down there on a budget, and had to make every penny count.

Here he came.  Knew I was a tourist.  I stopped and asked him, “Why are you following me?”  He replied, “I need some money for a sandwich.”  OK God, What are you going to do here?  The Holy Spirit then came into my mind, “Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I thee.”  I said, “Man, I do not have any money, but what I do have, I will be glad to give you.  Do you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior?”  He did not like that answer much, but wanted money, and then walked off.

My cousin says that most of them are looking for money for booze.  Others are looking for money for drugs, and most of them are homeless, and really need some serious help.  Is there an answer?  Is there a way to help them?  I know that there are many homeless shelters across the area, and it is my prayer that they will find them.

But, what does that have for us?  Friends, we really have it good.  When was the last time that you stopped and thanked God for what He has given to you, so that you do not have to suffer?  When was the last time that you helped someone that you knew was in need?  You see, you don’t have to give them money.  You have the Lord Jesus Christ in your heart and that would be the greatest gift that any one could give.  The message of salvation.  Won’t you take the challenge today, to really be thankful for what you have as well as find the time and the place in your heart to give that wonderful gift, the message of salvation?  May God’s Grace Abound In You.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2006, 11:42:14 AM »

Persecuted

By: Brittany Waller

"Happy are you when people insult you and persecute you and tell all kinds of evil lies against you because you are my followers." (Matthew 5:11)

Have you ever been persecuted for your faith? I have had experiences with that, especially around my friends. I wear a cross necklace in front of them, they look at it, shake their head while glaring, and then walk away. I have got into arguments over religion with my friends, and I have to admit some harsh things have been said. It definitely hurts!

All you want is for people to love you for who you are and what you believe in. Things aren't that easy though. Jesus said we will be persecuted for believing in Him. But, why do we take it so hard then? Probably because we feel like they are not only attacking us, but they are attacking God too. The devil is talking through them and tempting you to have doubts. Fight for what you believe in, even if people discriminate against you.
Why do we discriminate against other people though? They could be black, Jewish, homosexual, overweight, Mormon, handicapped, or any other way of discriminating a person you can think of, and it doesn't matter, they are still looked down upon for it. Why can't we all just get along? Now I feel like breaking out into song, I can't help it, "Red and yellow, black and white, we are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world!" That was so off key I am glad you weren't here to hear that!

Just think of all the people in the world who are persecuted. I bet every day someone is persecuted for the way they act, look, or for what they believe in. Jesus never said this road was going to be easy. God is always there to give you that one extra push. So don't give up, you just have to take one more step. You have to realize even though people will put you down, you have to smile and walk away. Say a prayer for that person. That someday they will see God's light, read His word, and think twice next time they look down on someone for just being whom they are.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »

Hello Again!

By: Adam R. Rinehart

John 11: Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”

A few years ago, Tony, (Founder of TDDM) came to Ohio to meet me, and attend a Detroit Tigers game.  I wrote a great devotional about that day, and I prayed that we would get the chance to see each other again.   (July 29, 2001) 

Guess what?  I am like a kid at Christmas!  I have not even packed yet!  Tomorrow is going to rock!  Yeah, tomorrow is going to be great!  Tomorrow afternoon, about twenty-four hours from now, my family and I are going to board a plane and fly to Florida!  Yes!  From the frigid 34 degrees of Florida to nice, sunny Florida! 

You see, about a year ago, I got a call from Tony, and he said, “Hey Adam, I am going to be getting married here in March of 2005, would you come down and perform our wedding?”  With much excitement, I said, “That would be great!” 

There are many festivities planned for this weekend and coming week: a wedding rehearsal, a wedding, a spring-training ball game, possible trip to Disney as well as joining my Father-In-Law for a wonderful week of relaxation and rest.  What is cool about all of this is that I have never had the chance to meet Amber face to face.  Oh, we have talked over the internet, as well as on the phone, but have never had the chance to meet in person.  It is going to be an absolute joy and honor.

For our Scripture today, Jonathan and David had a really cool relationship.  Even though they were not real brothers, they had a relationship that was closer than a brother.  When they had to part from each other, they wept because they were not sure that they would get to see each other again.  I think that when I leave on Sunday and all of the festivities are over, I wonder if I will have the same emotions. 

Jesus when hearing that Lazarus had passed away, wept.  We are not sure why Jesus wept.  There are a lot of views on that.  I wonder if He wept because He too was mourning the loss of a friend and not getting to see Him again. 

Friends, praise God that my prayer is going to be answered.  We are going to get to meet again on this earth, but you know what?  My prayer would have been answered even if we did not get to meet here on this earth.  You may be reading this saying, “What?” 
You see, even if we never see each other on this earth, one day we will again be able to say, “Hello,” because we will all be rejoined again in Heaven to be together forever!  FOREVER!  Even though I will probably “tear up” when we part on Sunday, I have confidence in knowing that since we all know Jesus as our personal Savior, we too will see each other again.  I hope that is the same with you.  May God’s Grace Abound In You

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »

Learning to Trust Again

Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but to trust the Lord means safety. (Proverbs 29:25) NLT

Sometimes when I look back at my life I get so angry. I look at the people who I should have been able to trust in my life and I realize that none of them were there for me. I tried the “fearing (trusting) people” thing and it definitely didn’t work for me. Everywhere I turned people proved to me that human beings are not trustworthy.

But, according to this verse (and the proof in my heart and life) God isn’t like the people who have hurt us. Even though people will fail and break our souls, and even though humans can shatter our spirits, God is still good and “to trust in the Lord means safety.”

Maybe for you, like me, this is an unimaginable thing. It is hard to see God as a place of safety when people have hurt us so deeply. But, my precious brothers and sisters, God is so unlike them. He will tenderly and lovingly hold us close. He will take our vulnerability and accept us with open arms. He will soothe our hurts instead of wound us.

Take some time today and evaluate how you see God. Are you afraid of what He will do if we trust Him? Yes, it is a dangerous thing to trust people sometimes. But, with God, it is opening ourselves up to a place of refuge. Seek out the loving arms of our Daddy today. He will never let you go.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2006, 10:44:38 AM »

The Beauty Within You

“Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD . "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow” (Isaiah 1:18a) NIV

I’ve always thought this a wonderful verse. But, it took on a whole, beautiful, new meaning to me today. I was trekking across campus, coming back from my car while snow was pouring from the sky and the wind carrying it in whirlwinds in front of me. I looked out at the hill beside my dorm and it was covered in a smooth, glistening blanket of snow. It was so beautiful.

I thought to myself: how pure—white snow settled on the cold ground. And I could almost hear God laughing. “What?” I questioned sincerely. Then, I remembered: snow is the farthest thing from pure. It is actually the IMPURITIES in the clouds that has to be purged and falls down to earth. But, these particles…the rejects of the clouds…form something so beautiful!

Then I thought of a verse I love: “…to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes…” (Isaiah 61:3) NLT. Aren’t we so similar? We are the rejects. We are sinners and screw-ups. We are dirty and stained. We are unwanted and useless. Well, we WERE. Then, God decided to change the rules. Just as He uses the impurities in the clouds to cover our world with beauty, He uses the impure among us to add beauty to our world.

My friend, you are, like me, a sinner who fails and screws up and dirties the clean heart God gave us. But, He doesn’t see you that way. He looks at you the way we look at glistening snow—a sign of awe and beauty. He doesn’t see the impurity. He sees your beauty.

So, the next time you feel you have screwed up beyond the limit of forgiveness, you have failed beyond the limit of humanity, and you have stained your heart far too much to ever be clean, remember the snow. My sibling in Christ, remember that God sees only your beauty. Just as the snow took my breath away and made me glow with joy, so you steal our father’s heart. He’s in love with your overwhelming beauty. Let that thought become reality to you today.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 104 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the