Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:09:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Greed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greed  (Read 1001 times)
Gaurav

Jesus Rocks!!!

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2005, 02:40:02 PM »

Hey
Yesterday, before I went to bed, I read something in the bible, which made me think. 2 Peter 2:3 says: ' In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.'

I'm not sure why this particular verse spoke up to me but it did. 'In their greed...' What does this say exactly. I think that this verse is telling us about people motivation for money and now Christianity is being exploited by individuals in order to meet their greed.

This is not a new concept but I think with TV, this is more likely to happen thatn ever before. I think of Benny Hinn. He makes alot of money by doing what he does and there is something about him, that makes me think twice about him. I do not mean to offend anyone by saying what I'm saying but I think we must be careful.

Could others please add their insight into this type of greed and how we cannot become victims of this.

gaurav

God = love
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 05:21:42 PM »

The TV evangelists have barged into our living rooms with their broadcasts and turned the spotlight on themselves. They have demanded attention, so alot of people giving it to them.

Many people are responding to God's Spirit under all kinds of conditions, and God is faithful to honor a response of faith. But James says "Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?" Any good being done by sincere believers in these organizations is polluted by the whole basis of the ministry, which is a gospel of greed. If they're honest with themselves, these believers will withdraw their support.

The Bible is full of these kinds of confrontations. Jesus denounced the Pharisees as hypocrites and expelled the moneychangers from the Temple more than once.

Paul says of those who were preaching a different gospel or perverting the gospel: "Let them be accursed," meaning damned, everlastingly cut off from the presence of God Gal. 1:6.

Strong words  how do you recognize a false gospel or a heresy? Paul again warns against those who are "enemies of the cross of Christ, whose end is destruction and whose god is their belly " or their own appetites Phil. 3:17-19.

False prophets will preach about Christ, but be an enemy of the cross.

Jesus said "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall save it."

We know that neither the televangelists nor their followers are "the enemy." The enemy is Satan, who would like to deceive the whole world and the church through anything that detracts from Christ and Him crucified. We're not immune from deception ourselves, of course. The popular saying is that you can justify anything from scripture. God will be the final judge of everyone's motives.

Remember, Paul calls for us to "Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil" I Thes. 5:21,22. Believers are called to "try the spirits, whether they are of God, because many false prophets are gone out into the world" I John 4:1.

Resting in the hands, of Jesus.
Bob

Ezekiel 22:12 In you they have accepted bribes to shed blood; you have taken [forbidden] interest and [percentage of] increase, and you have greedily gained from your neighbors by oppression and extortion and have forgotten Me, says the Lord God.

Gaurav

Jesus Rocks!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 12:57:32 PM »

Hey Dreamweaver
You, as well as God, have helped me to clarify my understanding. I liked how you said ' they have turned the spot light on themselves.' I agree with this; the spotlight should be on God. Thankyou very much for your reply.

Gaurav

God = love
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 02:27:12 PM »

Hello Brother Guarav,

First, I must say AMEN! to the reply of Dreamweaver.

We live in a day and age where it appears that false prophets and false teachers are arising on every corner. It's almost impossible to keep up with the false cults that cleverly deny JESUS in one way or another. AND, the money angles of many modern movements are one step away from fraud and criminal prosecution. In fact, many have reached that stage and are being prosecuted.

When it comes to money, I simply must tell it like it is, at least for me and my single opinion that isn't worth much. It makes me sick to see so-called preachers and evangelists living like Kings and still asking for more money from people who are living on fixed incomes. What I see from many of the preachers and evangelists who think nothing of spending $10,000 a night or more for lodging is the love of money and SIN. This is just a single example of long lists of extravagant and worldly THINGS that DO NOT resemble the work of God.

On the other side of the coin, I am not suggesting that preachers and evangelists must live like paupers to serve God. There should be a line of common sense somewhere that separates need and common comfort from GREED and living a lifestyle that makes it appear that the things of the world are more important than the things of GOD! On top of everything else, many of these preachers and evangelists who live like kings are FALSE PROPHETS AND ARE FALSE TEACHERS, all the while taking money from people who think they are supporting God's work.

Brother, this is just one reason why I think that God's children should be close to the work being done with their money. I also believe firmly that pastors and leaders of each assembly should be completely accountable for every penny to their congregations. Those who give "as if to God" have a right to know. I would never give a penny to support the pastor living in multi-million dollar mansions all over the country or the pastor otherwise living like a king.

Brother, maybe I'm too shy on this subject.  Cheesy  

Love in Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 2:19-22 NASB  So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the