Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:58:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sermons4Kids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 372 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sermons4Kids  (Read 341485 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5490 on: January 15, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »

"How May I Help You?"

Tom loved to go to his grandfather's hardware store. People came in to buy all sorts of interesting things. They often asked a lot of questions, and Grandpa was always happy to do what he could to help them.

At home, Tom pretended he owned a shop. His customers were his younger brother and sister, Zach and Jodi. When Zach called on the toy phone, Tom would ask, "How may I help you?" That was the way he often heard Grandpa answer the phone. Then Tom would wait for Zach to come in and buy something to use in his make-believe garden. Jodi came, too, looking for a new bell or other equipment for her tricycle.

One evening, just as the three children were ready to play "store" again, Dad said, "Time to get dressed. Our church families take turns visiting the people at the nursing home, remember? Tonight is our turn to visit."

Tom frowned. "Why do we have to go?" he asked. "Couldn't just you and Mom go? We could stay with Grandpa and Grandma while you're gone."

Dad shook his head. "The people look forward to our visits," he said, "and they especially like seeing children. It brightens their whole day."

"Well, it doesn't brighten my day to go there," grumbled Tom. "It ruins my fun."

He expected Dad to scold, but instead, Dad changed the subject. "Tom, how does Grandpa answer the phone at the store?" he asked.

"He says, 'How may I help you?'" replied Tom with a grin.

Dad nodded. "Yes, and I've heard you answer the same way when you have a pretend store here at home," he said. "It's a good way to show that you're willing and eager to help someone. But isn't it too bad that we sometimes give customers a better answer than we give God?"

"What do you mean?" asked Tom.

"Well, the Bible teaches that God wants those who love Him to serve Him willingly," explained Dad. "I think He'd like us to say to Him, 'How may I help You, Lord?' Tonight He'd probably answer, 'You can serve Me by bringing cheer to the people at the nursing home-and by doing it without grumbling.'"

Tom was thoughtful. Then he headed to his room to change clothes.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
What is your attitude when you serve the Lord? When you're asked to help at home, run an errand for a neighbor, keep an eye on a small child, visit an elderly person, or help out in any way, do you do it willingly and cheerfully? Today's Scripture and Key Verse tell what King David said to his son Solomon. It's good advice for you, too. Remember that God sees into your heart. Ask Him to help you have a happy and willing spirit as you serve Him by serving others.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Serve Him (God) with a loyal heart and with a willing mind. 1 Chronicles 28:9

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: January 17, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »

"Secret Friend?"

The door banged shut behind Peter as he raced into the house after the first day at his new school. "Mom!" he called. "Guess what! I made some more friends today-Josh and Mike! They're coming over in a minute to play baseball!"

"That's great!" replied Mom. "Who was the boy you started talking to when I dropped you off at school this morning-the one with the leg braces?"

"Oh, that's Andy," replied Peter. "I like him; he's one of my friends, and I play with him a lot. But some of the kids make fun of him and won't play with him, so then a lot of the others avoid him, too. It's kind of sad."

"I agree! It's a shame that kids would miss out on a friend like Andy just because they're concerned about what others think," replied Mom. "By the way, don't forget that we'll be having supper a little early. The special youth meetings at church start tonight."

"I don't . . ." began Peter, but he hesitated. "I . . . ah . . . I don't think I'll go," he said slowly. He looked at his mother anxiously. She was silent, and his gaze shifted to the carpet. "See, Mom-I don't want to quit our baseball game early," explained Peter. "I don't think the guys who are coming to play would understand. I don't think they go to church."

"Well," replied Mom, "that's no reason to keep you from going." She frowned as she added, "I'm thinking of your friend Andy, and of the kids who avoid him just because some of their friends wouldn't approve. You think that's sad, too, right?"

Peter nodded. "Well . . . sure," he agreed.

"But isn't that what you want to do, too, Peter?" asked Mom. "You want to miss out on spending time at church with your best friend, Jesus, because your new friends might not approve of Him."

Peter was quiet. "I guess you're right, Mom," he admitted after a moment.

Just then Josh and Mike arrived with their baseball equipment. "Let's get going, Pete," said Mike. "We can't stay very long tonight. We've got to leave early for a special meeting at our church."

"Really?" exclaimed Peter. "I'm planning to go to a meeting at my church, too." He and his mother shared a smile.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you talk about Jesus when you're with friends? Or do you keep your friendship with Him a secret? Are you afraid others will laugh if they find out you're a Christian? No earthly friend could ever be as important or precious as Jesus. He gave His life for you. Never be ashamed to let your friends see that you love Him.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation. Romans 1:16

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »

"Road Signs"

"I spy something red," said Jon. Along with their parents, he and his sister Janelle were on vacation, and the two children were playing a game.

Janelle looked around. "Is it that red truck in front of us?" she asked.

Jon nodded. "Aw, shoot! I thought you'd figure that was too easy and look for something else," he said. Then it was Janelle's turn.

Soon the children got tired of their game. "How long till we stop?" asked Jon.

"I'm not sure," said Dad. He glanced across the seat and grinned. "Mom hasn't been watching road signs, either," he added. "She's asleep."

Dad's voice woke Mom, and she sat up. "I'm not asleep," she said, and the others laughed. "Let's stop for something to eat," suggested Mom. "Did you see any signs for restaurants coming up soon?"

No one had, and Janelle sighed. "Dad was busy driving, Mom was sleeping, and Jon and I were playing a game," she said, "so we all missed the signs for restaurants-if there were any. Maybe we'll see some before long."

"I bet I can find a restaurant sign first," said Jon.

"Make a note for me, please," said Dad, pulling a little notepad and pen from his pocket. "This restaurant hunt reminds me of something."

"Oh, not again!" teased Jon. He knew Dad was probably coming up with an illustration for a sermon. "What lesson do you see now, Dad?"

Dad grinned. "God gives signs-or directions-along the road of life," he said, "but if we're too busy with the things of the world, we may miss them."

"What signs does God give us?" asked Janelle.

"They're often in the form of a Bible verse," said Dad. "For example, 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved' tells us the way to heaven."

"I know one," said Mom. "It's 'Be diligent to present yourself approved to God.' All Christians need to study God's Word as they travel the road to heaven."

"Is 'Pray without ceasing' one of God's signs?" asked Janelle.

Dad nodded. "It sure is," he said. "Your turn, Jon."

"Forgive, and you will be forgiven," suggested Jon, then he exclaimed, "Look! That sign gives directions for food at the next exit!"

Dad smiled. "You see," he said, "it pays to watch the signs."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you watching for God's "road signs" by reading the Bible and by listening to teachers and preachers who help you understand it? People often turn to the well-known Ten Commandments when they think of instructions given by God. (See today's Scripture.) But many other Bible verses also give directions for you as you travel through life. Look for them. Think about what they say and about what you need to do to follow them. They're very important on your journey to heaven.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
A new commandment I give to you . . . as I have loved you, that you also love one another. John 13:34

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:43 AM »

"Rain, Rain, Rain"

"I thought this vacation was supposed to be fun," grumbled Jason as rain beat against the canvas sides of their tent. "Why did it have to rain today?"

"God didn't promise sunshine for our trip," replied Dad. "We'll just have to make the best of the rain and try to think of some good things about it." He grinned. "It's giving our dusty, dirty van a much-needed washing. That should make you happy-it saves you kids from having to do it." But Jason didn't smile.

"I want you and Dawn to get your pajamas on," said Mom. "Then we'll have devotions and sing. That will help us forget about the rain."

The kids did as they were told and slid into their sleeping bags. "Maybe the rain will be gone by the time we wake up tomorrow," said Jason hopefully.

"Maybe," agreed Dad, "and then we'll enjoy some fishing. Now . . . what shall we sing tonight? Who has a favorite?"

"I know!" exclaimed Dawn. "Let's sing, 'What can wash away my sin?' My Sunday school teacher says that's an old, old song that we all should learn."

Jason laughed out loud, and Dad chuckled. "Why are you laughing at me?" demanded Dawn. "What's so funny?"

"They're not really laughing at you, honey. It's just that we've got all this rain, and you want to sing about something being washed away," explained Mom with a smile.

Dawn grinned. "Oh, I get it-and I guess maybe that is kind of funny," she agreed.

"Actually," said Dad, still smiling, "it's a very good song to sing tonight. I'm thinking again about how dirty our van was and how the rain washes away the dust and dirt."

"Yeah, Jason. Like Dad said, we should be glad for the rain," said Dawn.

"I think we all should let it remind us of Jesus and what He did for us when He died on the cross," said Dad. "Rain washes the dirt from the van, and the blood of Jesus washes the 'dirt' from our lives. It washes away our sins."

"Right. Thanks, Dawn, for choosing the perfect song," added Mom.

Together the family sang the old hymn. As Jason heard the rain pattering on the tent, he remembered that every one of his sins was washed away by Jesus!

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have your sins been washed away? Do you realize what a wonderful thing it is that God is willing to forgive you and wash away all the bad things you've done? God says that without shedding of blood there is no remission-no forgiveness-of sin. But Jesus willingly took the punishment for sin and shed His blood on the cross to make it possible for you to have your sin washed away. Are you trusting in Him?

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »

Following the Leader

As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea--for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, "Follow me and I will make you fish for people." And immediately they left their nets and followed him. Mark 1:16-18

Recently I was watching the movie, "Peter Pan." Have you ever watched this movie? In the movie, the children sing a song and play a game called "Following the Leader." (Sing a bit of it, if you can.)

Following the leader, the leader, the leader
We're following the leader wherever he may go.

Have any of you ever played "Follow the Leader?" Of course you have! I played the game when I was a child -- my father played the game when he was a child -- his father played the game when he was a child. Follow the Leader is a game that is played and enjoyed by children all over the world.

The rules are very simple. You choose a leader and you follow him wherever he goes -- and do whatever he does. You stomp through puddles, climb over fences, swing from a tree -- all to stay in the game because nobody wants to be "a quitter."

Follow the Leader is a great game, but in our daily lives we play follow the leader too. In school, in Church, in sports, in any activity we are in, there are always leaders. Every day we are faced with making a choice of which leader we will follow. We must be sure to choose a leader that will lead us in the right direction.

One day Jesus was walking along the sea shore. He saw two fishermen, Peter and Andrew, who were throwing their fishing nets out into the sea. Jesus called out to them, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men." The Bible tells us that they laid down their nets and followed Jesus. Jesus went a little farther and he saw two more men, James and John sitting in their boat mending their nets. Jesus called out to them and the Bible tells us that they left their boat and followed Jesus. (vs. 19-20)

Jesus is still calling people to follow him today. He has called you and me to follow him. Now it's up to us to decide if we will follow the leader.

Dear Jesus, you have called us to follow you. May we, like Peter, Andrew, James, and John say "Yes, Lord, I'll follow you -- wherever you may lead." Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: January 20, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »

"Dangerous Bait"

Beth dropped her fishline over the side of the boat, and watched the bait sink into the water. "That worm squirming on my fish hook looks so gross!" she exclaimed. "How can a fish possibly want to bite on it?"

Beth's dad laughed. "You're right, Beth," he said. "It doesn't look very appealing to us, but to a fish, it's food."

"Well, I'd rather starve!" declared Beth.

Dad chuckled. "You might look at it differently if you were a fish," he said.

Beth's brother Philip grinned. "What fish don't realize is that a sharp hook is hidden inside these yummy-looking worms," he said. "All they think about-assuming they can think-is how good the worm will taste when they eat it. They don't give any thought to what will happen when they bite it."

"I guess not," said Beth. "If they knew they'd get hooked, they wouldn't bite, no matter how good the worm looked to them."

"Maybe not, but they might," said Dad. "Sometimes they're a little like people."

"People!" exclaimed Beth. "You're not making sense, Dad! You won't find me biting on a worm!"

Dad laughed. "No, not a worm," he agreed, "but how about some other kind of bait?"

Philip frowned. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"I'm thinking of times when there's something we really want to do, but we know it's wrong," explained Dad "We could say that Satan 'baits a hook' with things that tempt us to make wrong decisions."

"So it's like Satan is 'fishing' for us?" asked Beth.

"Something like that," agreed Dad. "He likes to trick us by tempting us with things that look good. Unfortunately, it's easy to fall for his 'bait' and end up making choices that are not pleasing to God. We might regret our choices later, but often it's too late and we have to live with the consequences of our actions. And that's not much fun."

"Well, the next time I'm tempted to do something I know is wrong, I'm going to remember how these fish take the bait," said Beth. "Then maybe I'll think twice about taking Satan's bait!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you recognize the "bait" Satan uses to tempt you? Perhaps he uses a friend's good grades to tempt you to cheat. Maybe he uses a special toy to tempt you to steal. Or perhaps he uses the fear of punishment to tempt you to tell a lie. It's important to remember that Satan is an expert at fooling people. His goal is to have you make decisions that displease God. Don't yield to temptation to do wrong just to get something you want. Don't take Satan's bait!

TODAY'S KEY VERSE: (1 Peter 5:8-9)
Be vigilant . . . Resist him (the devil).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: January 21, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

"Two Letters"

As Jane walked home from Sunday school with her friend Carly, they talked about the lesson they had just heard. "I like your Sunday school, but I don't know if I really believe there's a God," confided Jane. "Do you, Carly?"

Carly's brown eyes opened wide. "Of course I do!" she exclaimed.

Jane frowned. "Maybe you just think He exists," suggested Jane. "I'm sure you've never seen God."

"No," admitted Carly, "but I still know He's real."

Jane shrugged. "How can you be so sure?" she asked. But they had arrived at her home, and she turned up the walk before Carly could give her an answer. "See you tomorrow," called Jane.

When the girls met the next morning, Jane was all excited. "Did you sign up for a pen pal through our school news magazine a couple months ago?" she asked. Carly shook her head. "I did, and I got a letter yesterday," said Jane, pulling out an envelope. "It's from a girl named Susan, and she likes dogs and biking and a lot of the same stuff I do." Jane paused. "Here," she said, holding out the letter, "why don't you read it yourself?"

"Okay," said Carly, taking it. "I'll give it back to you after school. All right?"

As the girls walked home that afternoon, they talked about the letter again. "I've been thinking about this," said Carly. "Do you think Susan is real?"

Jane stared at her friend as if she had lost her mind. "Real?" she asked. "Of course she's real. I got her letter, didn't I? What a funny thing to say."

Carly smiled. "Well, you haven't seen her-just like we haven't seen God- but you have her letter, so you know she's real," said Carly. "We have a letter, too-a letter from God. We call it the Bible."

Jane looked surprised. "Well . . . I could go to where Susan lives and see her," she argued.

"If she's real," said Carly with a grin.

Jane started to speak; then she grinned, too, realizing that she didn't have to actually to see someone to know that person is real. Suddenly, she knew in her heart that God was also very real, just like Susan was.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you have trouble believing in an invisible God? Look around you and see the beauty of a sunset, the rainbow in the sky, the growing plants, the animals, and even yourself. All the things God has made "declare His glory" and "show His handiwork." Read the Bible-God's letter to you-and learn about Jesus, who came to earth and was seen by many people. You don't need to see God yourself to believe in Him.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. John 20:29

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: January 22, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »

"Diamond in the Rough"

Noelle dropped her book bag on the corner of her grandmother's kitchen cupboard. She shook her head when Grandma offered her milk and cookies. "No, thanks, Gran," she said. "I don't feel like eating." Sighing, she added, "Nothing is going right! You even prayed with me that I'd pass my math test-but it didn't do any good." A tear slid down her cheek. "Oh, Gran, I hate school. I didn't even like gym today-we had to do all kinds of exercises! And things aren't any better at home! Mom and Dad won't let me get a puppy because the doctor says I'm allergic to dogs and cats."

Grandma handed Noelle a tissue. Then she slowly twisted the diamond ring off her finger. "Take a look at this," she said, holding out her ring. "Do you know anything about diamonds?"

Noelle took the ring. "Well, I know they're expensive," she said, "and they come from mines. I think it takes a long, long time to make a diamond." She slipped the ring on her finger and held it up to the light. "Oh, look at it sparkle!" she added. "I love diamonds!"

Grandma smiled. "Diamonds don't look like that when they come from the ground. Then they're referred to as diamonds 'in the rough,'" she said. "It takes an expert stonecutter to take one of them and very carefully cut and polish it and make it look beautiful."

"I remember hearing that in school," said Noelle. "An article in our school paper said it takes a very sharp tool, and that one slip can cause a diamond to shatter and be ruined."

Grandma nodded. "And did you know that we are like 'diamonds in the rough'?" she asked. Noelle shook her head. "God is the Master Stonecutter for us," continued Grandma. "The tools He uses-disappointments, for example-may seem painful to us, but He uses them to make us strong and beautiful. We can trust Him to use every circumstance for our good-He never makes a slip."

As Noelle continued to admire the diamond, Grandma placed the plate of cookies on the table. This time, Noelle reached for one.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you been disappointed when you asked God to help you-perhaps to pass a test or hit a home run or make a new friend-and it didn't happen? Do you think He doesn't care about what happens in your life? He does care, but He knows that some of the things you want to happen are not best for you. Trust Him even when hurtful things occur. Let the "Master Stonecutter" turn you into a beautifully polished "diamond."

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
As for me, I trust in You O Lord; I say, "You are my God." Psalm 31:14

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: January 23, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »

"The Notebooks"

Dinnertime chatter started out cheerfully, but when the school basketball team was mentioned, Chad frowned. "Austin Cooper thinks he's so good," he complained. As he spoke, Dad reached for a small brown bag lying beside his chair. "He's a great big know-it-all!" Chad looked around the table for sympathy.

Mom sighed, and Dad frowned-but Dinah nodded knowingly. "Allison Summers is like that, too," she said. "And then there's Audrey. She's not a snob-she's just the opposite. But her clothes are awful! Someone should teach her how to dress."

"Kids," said Dad, opening the bag, "we have something here for you." He brought out two small notebooks and handed one to each of the children.

Chad frowned, but Dinah exclaimed in delight. "Oh, thanks!" she said. "I need a new notebook for my social studies class."

"Sorry," said Dad. "These notebooks are for a special purpose."

"Yes," agreed Mom. "Nearly every day, we hear about the shortcomings of kids you know, so Dad and I decided it would be good to take a closer look at what's happening. Each day you are to write names of those who annoy you and tell what it is you don't like."

Dad held up a hand as Chad started to protest. "Also list the good things you know about them," said Dad. "Don't leave the book empty and say you have no complaints-we won't believe that. For several weeks, you've been critical of so many kids. Next Friday, we want to see your notebooks. Got it?" Chad and Dinah looked rather sheepish as they nodded.

When Dad asked to see the notebooks the next Friday, Dinah smiled as she opened hers. "Know what?" she asked. "At first I had trouble thinking of good stuff to write. But when I really try hard, my list of good things about kids who annoy me is longer than my list of their faults."

Chad nodded. "Same here," he said, "so can I quit writing in this now?"

"Not yet," said Mom with a smile. "Keep this going for the rest of the month. It should help you break the habit of criticizing."

"Right," agreed Dad. "Now let's think of some Bible verses to help us, too."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Can you find something good to say about kids who annoy you? Or are you so annoyed by their faults that you don't notice their good qualities, and you find it hard to love them? Why not try the idea of writing down what you like about them? See if you're not surprised at how many good things you can think of. If it seems like a tough assignment, think about the fact that God loves you even though you don't deserve His love. That should make it easier for you to love others.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
If God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 1 John 4:11

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: January 24, 2009, 10:57:31 AM »

"Potential"

Cammie let her backpack drop to the ground with a thud. "Hi, Grandma! What are you doing?" she asked.

"Planting tulip bulbs," replied Grandma. She patted the dark soil with a practiced hand. "I'm just getting started. Would you like to help?"

"Sure!" Cammie flashed a grin at Grandma. "Will I need to powder my nose with dirt like you've done?" Grandma wrinkled her nose and chuckled as she handed Cammie a bulb. Cammie studied it. "This looks all dried up," she said.

"The bulbs don't look very promising," agreed Grandma, "but with watering and plant food and God's sunshine, they'll grow and become beautiful flowers." She smiled. "They're kind of like you, Cammie."

"You mean I don't look very promising, either?" teased Cammie as she placed a bulb in the ground. "Thanks, Grandma."

Grandma laughed. "What I mean, honey, is that you're like a bulb in God's garden. Each of these tulip bulbs has great potential, and so do you."

"Potential?" asked Cammie. "What's that?"

"It's the ability to develop and grow," explained Grandma. "For these bulbs, it's the capability of becoming a beautiful flower."

"And what's my 'potential'?" asked Cammie.

"For you, it's the ability to be who God wants you to be and to do whatever He wants you to do," explained Grandma. "God has a plan for your life. It's up to you to find out what it is. Read your Bible and pray daily, honey. That's like watering seeds. Can you think of other ways to help develop the talents and abilities God has given you and to discover what He desires for you?"

"Well, I guess learning about Him in church and obeying Him," Cammie said after some thought. "And getting training in the things that I do best."

"Absolutely right," agreed Grandma. "That's like the plant food. Whenever you see a tulip, I hope you'll remember this conversation and ask God to make you aware of your potential in music, writing, teaching, or whatever He has for you. Ask Him to help you develop it.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you thought about what your potential might be? God has given you certain talents and abilities. Ask Him to help you discover them and develop them to their full potential. You're young, and it may be some time before you know what you're really good at and enjoy doing. Don't be in a hurry. Trust God to help you find out how you can best live for Him and serve Him-how you can best carry out the wonderful plan He has for your life.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord . . . to give you a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: January 25, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »

"Touched Up"

"We're getting our school pictures tomorrow!" exclaimed Andrea one evening. "I hope mine turned out good."

"Well, how good can they be?" teased her brother Matt. "After all, the camera can take a picture of only what it sees." He grinned, then ducked when Andrea threw a small pillow at him.

After school the next day, Andrea walked slowly into the house. "My pictures are awful," she wailed. "They were taken right after recess, and it was so windy that day. I tried my best, but I couldn't get my hair smoothed down very good, Cheryl said it wouldn't show that it was sticking out, but she was wrong! It shows!" In disgust, Andrea threw the envelope of pictures down on the table.

Mom picked it up and opened it. "These aren't so bad, honey," she said soothingly. "But why did Cheryl think hair sticking out wouldn't show?"

"When her sister Dana had graduation pictures taken, she was afraid her hair was going to look bad, too," replied Andrea, "but in Dana's pictures, every hair is perfectly in place." She frowned. "Look what a mess my hair is!"

Matt laughed. "Like I told you, the camera just shows what's there," he said.

"I'm sure Dana's pictures were taken at a studio," said Mom, "and the finished ones were touched up. That means little blemishes-like spots on the face or hairs out of place-were removed or covered."

Matt snapped his fingers. "That's right! A couple weeks ago, the speaker at our youth group was a photographer. He said people try hard to make themselves look good, but there are always things they can't fix, so he has to touch up their pictures. He compared his work to what God does. He said people try to cover the wrong things they do, but no matter how good they make themselves look, God's 'camera' shows just what's there-a heart full of sin."

"And only God can give the touch up that removes sin," said Mom. "He does that for us when we accept Jesus as Savior."

"That's what the speaker said." Matt grinned at his sister. "So cheer up, Sis," he added. "Your pictures aren't touched up, but your heart is. That's what matters."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you trusted Jesus as your Savior? There is no way you can completely cover up or remove sin yourself-no matter how good you try to be. Your sin might be hidden from people, but not from God. It must be covered with the blood of Jesus. That's the only way to be forgiven and have your sin removed. Accept Jesus as Savior today.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Psalm 32:1

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »

"A Bright Reflection"

"Hey, Steve. Did you notice how bright the stars are tonight?" asked Eric as the brothers sprawled out on the lawn, looking at the sky.

"Yeah, and the moon is real bright, too," observed Steve.

"Maybe it's a great big ball of fire," suggested Eric.

Steve shook his head. "No," he said. "The sun is more like a ball of fire. The moon doesn't actually have any light at all. It reflects the light of the sun-that's why it looks bright. I learned about that in my science class."

"Come on in, boys!" called Mom. "It's time to get to bed."

"Okay," they both called back, and they got up and headed for the house.

"Hey, Mom! Guess what!" said Eric as the boys went in. "Steve told me that the moon isn't really a big fireball. Did you know that?"

Mom smiled. "Yes," she said. "I did know that. Now scoot along to bed, or morning will come before you're ready for it."

After Sunday school the following day, Eric asked a question that had been puzzling him. "My teacher says people are supposed to see Jesus in us and in the stuff we do," he said. "But we aren't Jesus, so how can they see Him? I don't get it."

"I know!" Steve spoke up quickly. "Remember what I told you about the sun and the moon when we were outside last night?"

"Sure," said Eric. "You said the moon reflects the light of the sun."

"Right," replied Steve. "The moon isn't the sun, but it reflects it. When people look at the moon, the light they see is really the light of the sun. And we're not Jesus, but our lives should reflect Him. When people see what we do, they should be seeing what Jesus would do if He were in our place. Get it?" Steve looked to their parents to help him explain.

"Well put," agreed Dad. "When we do the things God wants us to do-behaving in the way we believe Jesus would behave if He were still here on earth-we are reflecting Him and His great love for everyone."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do others see the love of Jesus reflected in your life? Maybe you've seen bracelets or cards with the letters WWJD. Those letters stand for "What would Jesus do?" That's a good question to ask as you face each day and each situation. When you follow Jesus' example and practice the things He teaches, others will see Him and His love in you.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps. 1 Peter 2:21

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: January 27, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »

"Daniel's Decision"

As Daniel walked home, he glanced at a large, brightly-colored poster advertising a movie being shown at a nearby theater. It was the movie to which he had been invited by his friend Micah. To celebrate Micah's birthday, his parents had said he could have some friends over for pizza, and then they'd all go together to see the movie.

The other boys who were invited to Micah's party were excited about it, but Daniel actually wished he hadn't been asked to come. He could tell from the ad that it wasn't going to be the kind of movie he should go to see. In his heart a voice seemed to whisper, Just this once won't hurt. Maybe the movie won't be so bad, but if it really isn't any good, you can just ignore it and enjoy the pop and popcorn. At the same time, he sensed a warning voice saying, Don't go.

Daniel continued walking slowly toward home, but turned quickly when a car stopped beside him. It was his dad. "Hi, Son," called Dad. "Want a ride?"

"Sure!" Daniel tossed his books into the back seat, then sighed deeply as he got in next to his dad.

"Is something wrong?" asked Dad. "You don't look very happy."

"I was invited to one of those pizza-movie deals my friends have for their birthdays," explained Daniel. "The party sounds like fun, but I know it's a bad movie, so I guess I'll have to tell Micah I'm not going." He looked out the window to conceal unexpected tears that welled up in his eyes.

"There's no way to make this easy for you," said Dad, "but I'm glad you're taking a stand on that kind of thing now, while you're young." Dad paused, then added, "I'm reminded of something I heard long ago. Suppose you're on a train and you learn that it's moving toward a broken bridge. You don't know how far away the bridge is. Should you get off as soon as possible, or take a chance and stay on for a while?"

"Get off," replied Daniel promptly. "You might reach the bridge quicker than you think."

Dad nodded. "It's better to make the move right away than to wish later on that you had," he agreed. "It's like that with many decisions in life. It's important to make right choices immediately, before it's too late."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you choose to do the right thing when there's a hard choice to make? Or do you figure you're only a kid so it's probably okay to follow your own desires "just this once"? Besides, maybe you're not always sure what you should do. God promises to give wisdom to those who ask and trust Him for it. So ask God for wisdom to make right choices and for the courage to do what will please Him.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve. Joshua 24:15

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: January 28, 2009, 09:14:46 AM »

Lily sat on her front porch step. The sun shone from a clear blue sky, but deep inside, Lily felt as if a dark cloud hovered overhead. She looked down at Rags, her new brown puppy. She picked him up and hugged him.

Just then Lily's father, who served in the military, arrived home. "What's wrong, pumpkin?" he asked as he sat down beside her. "You look as if you don't have one friend in the whole wide world."

"I . . . I just wonder what's going to happen," replied Lily. "What if . . ." She hesitated. "Sometimes I almost wish you weren't in the Army. What if you get transferred overseas? I'd be so lonely if you were so far away."

"I understand how you feel-I'd be lonely then, too," said Dad. "But remember how we prayed and talked about God's care for us, no matter where we are?" Lily nodded, and Dad continued. "Can you trust God to help you adjust to whatever He has for us in the future? Can you trust Him to take care of me, no matter where I might be sent? And to take care of Mom and you and the rest of the kids?"

Lily sighed. "I'll try," she promised.

Dad looked at the little dog resting peacefully on Lily's lap. "Think about Rags for a minute," he added. "Do you remember how lonely he was the first few days you had him?"

Lily nodded. "He cried for his mother a lot," she remembered, "especially at night when there was nobody to pay attention to him." She buried her face in the puppy's furry neck.

"But you gave him so much love that he learned to depend on you, and he's happy to be with us now," said Dad as he reached out to pet the little dog. "If you care so much for your puppy, Lily, don't you think the Lord cares even more for us?" Sighing, Lily nodded. "And just like Rags trusts you to take care of him and make him happy, we can trust God to do the same for us," added Dad softly. "We may not always like everything that happens, but we can trust God to give us joy in Him. Okay?"

"Okay," agreed Lily. "I'll trust Him to take care of us even better than I take care of Rags-and to keep all of us from being lonely."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Has something happened in your life that left you feeling lonely? Today's Scripture was written by the Apostle Paul, and it tells about a time when he was put in prison. He says no one stayed with him; everybody left him alone. But God didn't leave him! God "stood" with him and gave him strength. God will always stay with you, too. If you're feeling lonely, remember that God is there. He loves you, and you can trust Him to never leave you alone.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
The Lord stood with me and strengthened me. 2 Timothy 4:17

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: January 29, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

"A Young Real Estate Agent"

By the time Derek learned that school was called off because of a furnace breakdown, his mother had left for a day of shopping. His father, who was a real estate agent, looked thoughtful. "You can go to work with me," decided Dad. So Derek went to the office with his father.

That morning, they met Mr. and Mrs. Harris, who were looking for a house. Dad explained why Derek was with him. "No problem," said Mrs. Harris. She smiled. "We have three sons of our own-one is just about Derek's age."

Derek didn't like the first house they went to see. It was too "fancy looking" for him. The second house seemed dark inside, and the rooms were small.

"Now this is my kind of house," announced Derek when they reached the third place. "Look at that creek and all those trees for climbing!" He was excited when he saw the inside of the house, too. "There are lots of hiding places here," he declared with shining eyes.

Mr. Harris laughed. "I think you made a sale, Derek," he said. "If you like this house, I'm sure our boys will like it, too."

That evening, Derek took his Sunday school workbook to his father. "You're just not going to believe this, Dad," he said. "Look what we're supposed to do for part of our lesson-write a real estate ad for heaven. Want to see what I wrote?"

"Sure do," said Dad. He took the book and smiled as he read aloud. "A mansion built for you on a golden street. No bedrooms, for there is no night. No hospitals near by, because there is no sickness. The entire city is decorated with fabulous jewels. Cost: Nothing! It was paid for by the Lord Jesus Christ. It's a gift to anyone who will accept Jesus as Savior. Best of all, Jesus is there!"

Dad grinned as he returned the book. "Great!" he approved. "And don't forget that you sell things by your actions and attitude as well as by your ads. We saw that happen today. Be sure your friends can see that you're excited about heaven. Then perhaps they'll want to go there, too."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you ever read a real estate ad? Maybe your family has moved, and an ad about your own house has been in a newspaper. Ads can make things sound very attractive. The heavenly piece of real estate described in today's reading sounds the most attractive of all, but not everyone reads about it. Do you advertise it by your words and actions? Does your enthusiasm about Jesus and heaven cause your friends to want to go to there? Think about it.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
God Himself will be with them (in heaven) and be their God. Revelation 21:3

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 372 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the