Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:11:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sermons4Kids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 372 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sermons4Kids  (Read 341724 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: January 30, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »

"Just Kidding"

Gabe sauntered into the house, letting the back door slam behind him. Raindrops glistened on his hair. His brother Jeremy met him at the door. "You borrowed my bike," said Jeremy. "Did you put it away?"

"Na-a-ah," replied Gabe with a shrug. "A little rain won't hurt it."

Jeremy dashed out to rescue his bike. Soon he returned. "You made me get all wet!" he grumbled. "You did put my bike away, but you said you didn't! You lied!"

Gabe laughed. "I was just kidding," he said.

At the supper table, Gabe watched his sister take a bite of salad. "Nicole," he said, "there was a worm on that piece of lettuce you just ate. Did it taste good?" He laughed as she jumped up, her napkin at her mouth, and ran to the sink. "Just kidding," he said, "and you fell for it!"

"Apologize to your sister," ordered Dad.

"It was just a joke," insisted Gabe, but he offered a half-hearted apology.

After supper, the rain stopped. "Let's go out, Gabe," said Dad, "and I'll teach you how to throw a curve. What do you say?"

"Great!" exclaimed Gabe. "I'll get my ball and mitt." When he returned, thumping a baseball into his mitt, he found Dad relaxing in the family room. "Let's go, Dad," said Gabe.

Dad looked at him and laughed. "Don't bother me," he said. "I want to read the paper."

"Dad!" protested Gabe angrily. "You lied to me!"

Dad lowered the newspaper slowly. "But, Gabe, when I said I'd teach you how to throw a curve ball, I was just kidding," he said. "You understand that, don't you? I've heard that phrase a lot lately."

Gabe looked startled. "I . . . know what you mean, Dad," he admitted.

Dad shook his head. "Your kidding has really gotten out of hand, Son. Actually, what you said now is right; if I don't come out, I will have lied." He stood up. "I will come out, of course, but first you need to tell Jeremy and Nicole you're sorry-but only if you really are!"

Gabe nodded and left the room in search of his brother and sister.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you do a lot of "kidding"? Be careful. Don't use "kidding" as an excuse for lying. Don't cause unhappiness for others and call it a joke. When that happens, it's time to confess it to God and ask Him to forgive you. Then apologize to anyone you've hurt and ask him or her to forgive you, too.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Putting away lying, each speak truth. Ephesians 4:25

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: January 31, 2009, 10:06:28 AM »

"Champ and the Cactus"

A big, brown dog barked loudly as it stood eye to eye with baby Leah. They were separated only by the clear pane of glass in the window. "Champ! Naughty dog!" scolded Grandma. "Be quiet and get away from the window."

Little Leah and her older sister were visiting their grandma, and they were fascinated by the big, friendly dog. Grandma smiled at the girls. "Champ wants to play with you, but he can be rough and noisy. He could knock you down," she explained. "That's why he's outside while you're spending time here."

A little later, Leah shrieked loudly. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she held out a hand. "Oh, dear! You touched the cactus plant," said Grandma. "I should have moved it." She cuddled Leah and spoke soothingly. "There, there, honey. That mean old cactus is covered with prickers, isn't it?"

"Grandma, if the cactus is mean, why do you keep it?" asked Shannon. Her expression was puzzled as she looked at the thick green plant.

"It isn't really mean, honey." Grandma's voice had a smile in it. "God made cactus plants prickly, but they won't hurt us if we stay away from them."

"But Leah got too close to the cactus, didn't she?" persisted Shannon. "And I know she'd walk right up to Champ, too."

Grandma nodded. "When Leah is older, she'll learn to be careful around dogs and prickly cactus plants, but until then, we have to protect her," she said with a smile. "That's one reason God gives us mommies and daddies and grandmas and grandpas and teachers and friends. He knows children need grown-ups to love them and teach them and show them the right things to do."

"But I'm seven," said Shannon quickly, "so I already know what to do."

"There are also things that can hurt big girls like you," said Grandma, "and God wants to protect you, too, honey."

"Mommy told me about stuff like that," replied Shannon, "like asking her if I can cross the street to play with Jennifer or how far I can ride my bike-and lots of other stuff. I remember it, too."

"Good!" approved Grandma. "Keep remembering-and thank God for His care and for also providing other people who care for you."

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you thanked God for loving you and providing others to care for you, too? Has He given you parents? A grandma or grandpa and other relatives? Foster parents? Teachers? Good friends or neighbors? Jesus loves boys and girls, and He has given many different people the job of caring for them. God says to honor your parents, and He is no doubt pleased when you also honor other caregivers He has provided for you. Learn from them and thank God for them.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Honor your father and your mother. Exodus 20:12

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »

"Bonuses"

“Jacob told me his dad got a bonus at his job,” reported Alex one day. “What’s a bonus, Mom?”

“A bonus is something good that you get in addition to what you have earned—something extra,” explained Mom.

Alex liked that idea. “I wish I could get a bonus,” he said.

“Well, here’s an idea,” said Mom. “Every day, think of one or two things you can do for other people. Then do them. Try it for a week and see what happens.”

Alex was thoughtful for a moment. “You mean I’ll get bonuses for helping?” he asked. “Who will give them to me? Whoever I help?”

“Not always. In a way, they come from God,” said Mom. “The Bible says, ‘Give, and it will be given to you . . . pressed down . . . and running over. . . . For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.’ So the bonuses are actually from God, but they usually come through people. Some may not even come in this life—but the bonuses do come.”

Alex decided to try it. That week he polished his dad’s shoes; he washed his uncle’s car; he even took his dog for a walk. After all, dogs are God’s creatures, too, he thought.

“My experiment is going pretty good,” Alex told his mother one day, “but I don’t know that I really got any bonuses yet.”

“Well, think about it,” said Mom. “How do you feel when you’ve done something nice for someone?”

As he thought it over, Alex realized he felt happy when he finished a job. “I feel good,” he replied, “and you know what else? When I help people, they smile at me a lot, too.”

Mom nodded. “That sounds like a bonus to me!” she said. “The Bible says Jesus went about doing good, and you’ve been doing that, too. I know He’s pleased with you, and that’s worth a lot.”

“I guess so,” agreed Alex, “but once in a while it would be nice to get something I can hold in my hand.”

“True,” said Mom. Opening the freezer door, she added, “Right now you may have the bonus of an ice cream bar for mowing the lawn without being told.” Alex grinned happily.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you been “doing good” as Jesus did? Have you been helpful at home? Do you have neighbors or grandparents who would appreciate a little help? Do you help your teacher at school by simply listening and working quietly? Do you watch for opportunities to assist younger children? Jesus is pleased when you give of yourself to others. Try it—you’ll be a blessing to them, and you will be blessed as well.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Key Verse Do not grow weary in doing good. 2 Thessalonians 3:13

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: February 02, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »

Recharging Our Batteries

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Mark 1:35 (NIV)

Do you have an iPod? I got an iPod for Christmas last year and I love it. It seems that you see people listening to their iPod everywhere you go. You see people jogging in the park sweating to the music, kids walking down the hall at school grooving to their favorite tunes, and others just sitting quietly listening and relaxing. As you probably know, an iPod runs on a built-in battery. Most iPods will play for about twenty-four hours before the battery has to be recharged. To do that, you have to plug your iPod into a charger. An iPod is really great way to listen to music, but it isn't much good if the battery isn't charged.

People need to recharge their batteries too. We work and play hard and if we don't get the proper rest, pretty soon we just don't have enough energy to do the things we need to do. It might come as a surprise to you that even Jesus had to recharge his batteries. In today's Bible lesson, we see a typical day in the life of Jesus.

Jesus traveled all around Galilee preaching, driving out demons, and healing people. After leaving the synagogue on the Sabbath day, Jesus and some of his disciples went to the home of Simon and Andrew. When they arrived, Simon's mother-in-law was in bed with a fever. They told Jesus about it, so he went to her, took her by the hand and helped her up. All at once, the fever left her and she began to prepare a meal for everyone.

I don't know how the town's people found out that Jesus was at the home of Simon and Andrew, but that evening many people were brought to Jesus to be healed of all sorts of diseases. The Bible says that the whole town gathered at the door to watch. No doubt Jesus was very tired after a long day of teaching and healing people. I'm sure that when he went to bed that night, he slept like a baby.

Jesus got up early the next morning before sunrise and went out to find a quiet place to pray. You see, Jesus knew that just as our bodies need to be recharged, so does our spirit. Jesus knew that it was important for him to spend time each day talking to his Father if he was going to have the spiritual strength to do what his Father had sent him to do. When Simon and the others woke up, they didn't know where Jesus was, so they went looking for him. When they found him they said, "Everyone is looking for you."

Jesus had recharged his batteries and was ready to go. He said to them, "Let's go to other towns and villages so that I can preach to them too. That's what I came to do." So they traveled throughout the region of Galilee, preaching in the synagogues and healing and casting out demons.

If Jesus thought it was important for him to recharge his spiritual batteries, don't you think it is important for us to do it too. Sure it is. That is why it is important for us to spend time in prayer every day and that is why it is important for us to come to Sunday School and church each week -- to get our batteries recharged.

Heavenly Father, help us to remember that just as our bodies must be renewed by proper rest, our spirit must be renewed by spending time with you in prayer, Bible study, and worship. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »

"All or Nothing"

David sat with a driver’s manual in his hand. He waved it as Dad came into the room. “Sean knows all the rules, so he figures he’ll get his driver’s permit this Saturday,” reported David, grinning. “I’ve been helping him, so he promised to treat me to ice cream after he gets his license and you let him take the car.”

“I see,” said Dad. “Well, he’s just getting a learning permit, so he still has to learn to drive. Then he has to pass a driver’s test before he gets his license. It will be quite some time before I’ll let him take the car.” Dad smiled at David as he added, “By the way, I hope you’re not forgetting to do your own lessons. Have you studied your Sunday school lesson for this week?”

“Not yet,” replied David, “but I’ll do it now.” He frowned as he added, “You know my friend Justin? He says some of the stories in the Bible aren’t really true. He calls them myths. I don’t believe him, but if he were right, how would anyone know which stories to believe?”

“That’s a good question,” said Dad. “They wouldn’t know.” He thought for a moment. “Let me ask you something,” he said. “After learning all those rules for driving a car, do you suppose Sean will pick out just a few that he likes, and obey them—and ignore the rest?”

David grinned. “He’d better not,” he replied, “or he’ll be in trouble. He’ll get lots of tickets.”

Dad nodded and picked up the evening paper. He pointed to a picture on the front page. “This is what happened when a driver ignored a stop light,” he said.

“Yeah, I saw that picture,” said David. “That was a really bad accident! Those cars are a mess!”

“All the driving rules are to be believed and obeyed—and all of the Bible is, too,” said Dad. “It’s all or nothing! When you start picking and choosing to believe only certain parts of the Bible, the whole thing becomes hopeless. We know from experience through the ages and from God’s Holy Spirit in our hearts that all of the Bible is true.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have friends or classmates tried to tell you the Bible contains myths—that parts of it are make-believe stories that aren’t really true? Does hearing that make you doubt what the Bible says? Jesus answered the devil by quoting Scripture, and that’s a good way for anyone to answer those who don’t believe all of the Bible. Learn the the key verse, and quote it when anyone tries to tell you that parts of God’s Word are false.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Every word of God is pure. Proverbs 30:5

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »

"Wrong Conclusion!"

“Don’t quit yet!” Jill begged her friend, but Wendy sat down and began unlacing her skates, saying she was cold. “It’s not that cold!” protested Jill. Wendy didn’t answer, and Jill went back out on the ice.

“Hey, Jill,” called Tia as she skated by. “Do you and Wendy want to go to Angelo’s Café for hot chocolate?”

“I’ll check,” Jill yelled back. She spun around and returned to the bench where Wendy was sitting. “Let’s go with Tia to get hot chocolate,” suggested Jill, but Wendy wasn’t interested. Jill sighed. I wish I had come skating with somebody else, she thought. She’s no fun at all today!

When Jill got home, her mother was stirring a mixture in a bowl. “Oh, good! My favorite—cheesecake!” exclaimed Jill. She picked up a spoon her mother had been using and quickly took a lick. “Yuck!” she exclaimed. “What is this? Aren’t you making cheesecake? I thought this was cream cheese.”

Mom laughed. “It’s shortening,” she said. “You jumped to a conclusion without learning the facts again.” Jill knew she often did that.

As Mom continued working, Jill told her about the problem with Wendy. “I think she just likes to be coaxed to do things,” grumbled Jill.

“Maybe,” said Mom, “but . . . are you sure you haven’t jumped to another wrong conclusion?” Jill just shrugged.

That evening, Mom came to Jill’s room. “Honey,” she said, “I talked with Wendy’s mom a few minutes ago. Wendy’s dad left home yesterday.”

“He did? Where did he go?” asked Jill.

“They don’t know,” replied Mom. “I just learned that he has a problem with alcohol and disappears occasionally. I thought you should know so you can pray for her and be an especially understanding friend.”

“Oh-h-h!” breathed Jill. “I . . . I did jump to conclusions again! No wonder Wendy was quiet today. When I see her tomorrow, I’ll make sure she knows I’m her friend. And I’ll pray for her—and for her dad!”

“Good,” said Mom. “I will, too.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you care when a friend doesn’t seem happy? Are you understanding and patient when someone seems uninterested in what you’re doing? If somebody appears to be troubled, don’t jump to conclusions as to what the problem is. Don’t assume that the person doesn’t like you, just wants attention, or did something wrong. Be sensitive—willing to listen and help, but not “nosy.” Pray for the person, and by your considerate, undemanding attitude, show that you care and would like to help.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
He who is slow to wrath has great understanding, but he who is impulsive exalts folly. Proverbs 14:29

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: February 04, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »

"Time to Celebrate!"

Evan stretched his neck and peered around the people in front of him. A teenager named Brad was on the platform. He had just spoken, confessing that he had strayed from the Lord but had now come back. He said God had forgiven him, and he asked the congregation to do so, too.

“Praise the Lord!” said Pastor Kerns, putting an arm around Brad’s shoulders. “Brad attended our church as a boy, and it was here that he accepted Jesus as His personal Savior. Let’s celebrate his homecoming!” When people stood and began clapping, Evan wrinkled his nose and slid down in the pew. Why all this fuss for Brad? he wondered. I heard he joined a gang. Mom tapped Brad’s shoulder. With an up-turned palm, she motioned for him to stand, so he did.

That noon, Dad and Evan chatted while Mom prepared dinner. “When you were younger, you used to like Brad quite a lot,” said Dad. “I thought you’d be glad to see him back at church, but I noticed that you didn’t want to stand up this morning and celebrate his return to the Lord. Why was that?”

“He joined a gang, didn’t he?” asked Evan. “Isn’t that bad?” He shrugged. “I know Brad says he’s sorry, but . . . I don’t know. It doesn’t seem to make sense that everybody gets all excited about him.”

“Well, let me try to help you understand,” said Dad thoughtfully. “Let’s see . . . remember the puppy who appeared at our door not long ago?”

Evan smiled. “Sure, I do. He was wearing a tag, so you called his owners. But I still wish we could have kept him.”

“When his owners came for him, how did they treat him?” asked Dad. “Were they angry? Did they scold and spank him?”

“No.” Evan smiled as he answered. “They hugged him and fed him doggie treats. They were so glad he was found.”

“Brad is something like that puppy,” said Dad. “In a way, he was lost—he’s a Christian but wasn’t living for the Lord. However, God loves Brad far more than the puppy’s owners love their dog. God is happy that Brad has confessed and turned away from his sin. Like Pastor Kerns said, it’s as though he has come home, and we should celebrate that. It’s a victory over Satan. Okay?”

“I guess that makes sense,” agreed Evan. “Okay!”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you happy when someone confesses sin and turns to God? It’s often easy to be led astray, but hard to admit sin. Today’s Scripture tells of a son who was sorry for bad behavior. His father rejoiced and welcomed him home, but that made his brother angry. The father explained that it was right for them to be glad. Like that father, God is glad when one of His children is sorry for sin and comes home. There’s rejoicing in heaven. There should also be rejoicing among Christians here on earth.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
There is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. Luke 15:10

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:10 AM »

"No Fakes"

“In social studies, we made fake passports and planned a make-believe trip to different countries in Europe,” Ron told his family. “Today we pretended to go to Paris. Every day this week, we’ll travel to a new place and learn all kinds of cool things. Then next week, we’ll fly back to America.”

“That sounds like a fun way to learn,” said Dad, and Ron nodded.

A week later, Ron had a problem. “We’re flying back to America tomorrow,” he said, “but I can’t find my passport!”

“Why not make a new one?” suggested Mom. “You can use a school picture.”

“Make a fake copy of my fake passport?” asked Ron with a grin. “Okay.” He copied the information needed, put the picture in place, and added his signature.

The following day, Ron sat on the “plane” headed for America. Finally, they “landed,” and all the passengers lined up to reenter the United States, passports in hand. “Sorry,” said Tyler, the student who checked Ron’s passport. “You can’t come into our country. This passport is not the real thing. You have no proof of citizenship.”

“But I am a citizen,” insisted Ron. “I couldn’t find the passport we made in class, so I made a new one. Come on, Tyler. This one looks almost the same as the ones we made before. It has all the right information.”

“Step aside, sir. We’ll have to look into this,” replied Tyler sternly. He motioned to another student. “Security!” called Tyler. “Over here, please.”

That evening Ron told his family what happened. “I wasn’t allowed back into the United States,” he said. “No valid proof of citizenship.”

“So your fake passport didn’t work?” asked Dad. Ron shook his head. “That’s like Pastor Barr’s sermon last week,” added Dad thoughtfully. “He reminded us that only those with a truly valid ‘passport’ can enter heaven. Do you know what that passport is?”

Ron nodded. “Jesus is our passport to heaven,” he answered.

“Right,” said Dad. “Some people think good works will earn heaven for them, but all their good deeds are like a fake passport. Only by accepting Jesus as Savior do we become citizens of heaven.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you a citizen of heaven? Have you accepted Jesus as your Savior? The only way to get to heaven is through Jesus. Nothing else will allow you to go there—not having parents who are Christians, not going to church and Sunday school, not being baptized, not even being loving and kind and doing good works. You’ll go to heaven only by accepting what Jesus did for you when He died on the cross and rose again.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
(Jesus said) “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: February 06, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »

"The Perfect Answer"

“I wish my grandpa lived nearby,” said Nikolas as he and his friend Judd Holt went to visit Judd’s grandfather. “I wanted Grandpa to move here when Grandma died, but he didn’t.” Nikolas had complained that God didn’t answer his prayers.

Judd’s grandpa was working outside, and he greeted them warmly. After a few minutes, he showed them the watermelons growing in his garden. “Come back with Judd in a couple of weeks,” invited Grandpa Holt, “and we’ll eat some of these good melons.”

Just then they heard a door slam, and they saw that an elderly man who lived next door had come outside. “Get out of here, ya nasty critters!” the man hollered at some squirrels in his yard.

“Wow!” exclaimed Nikolas. “He doesn’t sound very happy.”

Grandpa Holt shook his head. “That’s Hank Stone. He lives alone and doesn’t have any family nearby,” he explained. “His only grandchild used to visit him, but he died in a car accident about a year ago. I think the only people Hank sees now are a few old timers, like me. He misses his relatives—especially his grandson.”

As they walked over to the edge of the lawn a little later, Mr. Stone glared at them. Then his face softened, and he came over and put his hand on Nikolas’ shoulder. “I don’t know you,” he said, “but you sure remind me of my grandson.” Tears filled his eyes. Nikolas looked up uncertainly, not knowing what to say. “Yep,” continued the man, “my grandson used to come over—but no more.”

After a few minutes, Nikolas gave the old man a smile and spoke hesitantly. “I . . . I could visit you sometimes. I could bring some of my mom’s cookies,” said Nikolas. A smile spread across Mr. Stone’s face.

When Nikolas arrived home, he told his parents about Mr. Stone. “I’m going to adopt him as an extra grandpa since my own grandpa lives so far away—okay?” asked Nikolas. Mom and Dad looked pleased.

“I’m thinking that if God had answered your prayer the way you wanted Him to, Mr. Stone still might not have anybody going to see him,” said Dad.

Nikolas looked thoughtful. “Yep,” he agreed, “but now he has me!”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you trust God to answer your prayers—not necessarily the way you want, but the way He knows is best? Will you thank Him even when you’re disappointed? Will you quietly wait to see what He will do? God always knows best. And by the way, is there someone nearby that you could cheer up and to whom you could be a friend? Someone you could “adopt” as a grandpa or grandma? Why not pray about it? God will have the perfect answer.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
As for God, His way is perfect. Psalm 18:30

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: February 07, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »

"Your Best"

Nina jingled the coins in her pocket. She liked the sound they made. She called it her “Sunday school song” because she often jingled coins before class started each week. Nina earned her own money for offerings, but lately she hadn’t been able to find many jobs. As a result, the amount she could give had become smaller and smaller.

Logan, the boy sitting next to Nina, saw her put the coins into the offering plate. He snickered. “Is that all you have?” he asked loudly. “Why bother with it?” Nina felt her face grow hot, and she squirmed in her chair. Ducking her head, she didn’t answer.

When Nina got home, she told her mother what Logan had said. “I guess he was right,” she admitted with a sigh. “I think my Sunday school offering was the smallest one anybody had today.”

Mom raised her brows. “I think,” she said, “that your first mistake was to compare offerings. We should never give for the purpose of impressing others. Tell me—what does Jesus think about what you gave?” Nina shrugged.

Mom was quiet for a minute. “Nina, at your birthday party last month, your friends gave you presents. Were the gifts all the same, or were some smaller than others?” she asked.

“The gifts? They were all different of course,” said Nina. “Why?”

“Well, are the kids who gave you the nicest presents the ones you like best now?” asked Mom.

Nina shook her head. “It doesn’t matter what they brought,” she replied. “Sally’s dad had been sick a long time, so she couldn’t spend much for a present, but who cares? It wouldn’t have mattered if she hadn’t brought anything at all. She’s my best friend!”

Mom smiled. “I know,” she said.

“Before the party, Sally said she didn’t know if she should come,” continued Nina. “She was afraid of what the other kids would think of such a small gift, but I told her . . . Oh!” Nina suddenly stopped talking and smiled. “I know now what Jesus thinks about my offering!” she declared. “He knows it was the best I could give, and He’s happy with it—just like I’m happy with Sally’s present.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you ever afraid that even your “best” is not good enough? Remember that Jesus sees your heart. Your love for Him and desire to serve Him is what’s most important—whether it’s through giving money or serving in other ways. Don’t worry if you don’t sing or talk as well someone else. Don’t keep quiet because you think you can’t witness properly. God knows your ability, and your “best”—not only in giving an offering, but in every part of your life—is what He wants.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
According to their ability, they gave. Ezra 2:69

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: February 08, 2009, 11:13:25 AM »

"Different Is Good"

“There sure are a lot of different kinds of kites,” observed Caleb as he and his friend Abe studied the window display. “And I like ’em all!”

Abe nodded. “Me, too,” he agreed with a grin.

An elderly couple stopped at the window. Their clothes looked strange to the boys, and neither Caleb nor Abe could understand the language they spoke. Caleb frowned as he and Abe strolled off. “I don’t like foreigners,” he said when they were out of earshot. “You can’t understand their language, and they dress funny. I think when foreigners come here they should try to be like us.”

“That’s silly,” said Abe. “They’re probably here for just a short visit. If you went to Africa for a visit, would you start dressing the way they do over there? And would you quit talking until you learned their language?”

Caleb ignored Abe’s questions. “Look!” he exclaimed. “A store for stamp collectors! My dad collects postage stamps.”

The boys peered through the window at the display of stamps. Abe noticed the prices, and his eyes widened. “Why do some of those stamps cost so much?” he wondered. “They’re nothing but a little piece of paper.”

Caleb laughed. “My dad told me that some stamps are expensive because there weren’t many of them printed,” he explained. “That makes them valuable. And he said some of the most expensive ones are those that are misprinted. They cost a lot because they’re different from other stamps.”

Just then the foreign-speaking couple walked by. “Hey,” said Abe, “if it’s so great for stamps to be different, why should all people be the same? Maybe being different makes them interesting, too.” Caleb frowned and muttered something. “And what about kites?” continued Abe. “You said you like all the different kinds we saw. So admit it—we like all sorts of things to be different—things like kites and stamps and flowers and birds. So why wouldn’t we want variety in people, too? Besides, remember our Sunday school lesson last week? It was about God’s love for everybody. Every person is important to Him.”

“All right already!” exclaimed Caleb with a grin. “You made your point. Different is good!”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you judge people by the language they speak or the way they dress? By the country they come from or the color of their skin? Which country or color do you think God loves best? The answer is that He loves all people the same! God made everyone and sent Jesus, His Son, to give His life for each one. Since God values and loves people that much, you should value them, too.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
If you show partiality, you commit sin. James 2:9

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: February 10, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »

"A Special Event"

Ashley was excited. “My class is going on a field trip to see Mount Vernon, George Washington’s home,” she told her parents. “We’ve been studying about him, and I need to get books from the library and do a report on his life.”

“Good,” said Mom. “I’m sure learning about him before the trip will make it more enjoyable.” So Ashley set to work, reading books about George Washington and preparing her report.

When Ashley arrived home after the field trip, she was bubbling with enthusiasm. She excitedly told her parents all about the good time she’d had. “It was so much fun to see the things and places I’d read about,” she said. “I even knew some things the guide didn’t mention.”

After eating breakfast the next Sunday, Dad stood up. “Time to hear your memory verses before we leave for church,” he said. “Who wants to be first?” He looked at Ashley. “How about you?” he asked.

“Well, I . . . I don’t know it yet,” confessed Ashley. “I was too busy this week. I’ll go study it right now. It won’t take long.” Seeing Dad frown, she hurried off before he could reply.

Learning the verse took a little longer than Ashley expected, and she had to hurry to get ready to go to church. When it was time to leave, her hair wasn’t quite dry and she couldn’t find her Bible. After hunting a few minutes, she finally shrugged and ran out to the car without it.

When they arrived at church, Ashley sighed as she got out of the car. “I don’t get much out of church lately,” she mumbled.

“Honey,” said Mom, “I have a question. Why did you do a lot of reading and make reports about Mount Vernon before going on your trip there?”

“My teacher said I had to,” replied Ashley with a grin. “But I’m glad, because learning about it ahead of time made it even more special!”

Mom nodded. “You did everything you could to prepare for it,” she said. “As a result, you really enjoyed it. Why don’t you do the same for church? Prepare for it by getting things ready early and see if that doesn’t help you enjoy it.”

“Good idea,” agreed Dad. “A president and his house may be important, but God and His house are even more important. We should always remember that.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you enjoy going to church? Have you tried preparing early for it? You can do that by studying your Sunday school lesson and praying for your teacher and your pastor. Try getting your clothes ready on Saturday evening. When you get to church, set your mind on God, pay attention to your Sunday school lesson, and listen to the sermon. You may be surprised to find that church activities can be very interesting. Attending church may become one of the special events of your week.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the Lord.” Psalm 122:1

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »

"The Master’s Call"

“Mom, Sheba won’t come when I call her!” complained Adam. “Sometimes she comes toward me, but if I try to touch her, she runs away again. Watch!” Adam called to Sheba, his new puppy. Sure enough—Sheba looked at Adam, and when he kept calling, she ran in a couple of circles. Each time, she came close to Adam but always dodged away at the last moment. When she was finally exhausted, Sheba lay down, panting. Adam walked over to her. “You’re a naughty dog,” he said. “You need to learn to obey.”

“You’re right,” agreed Mom. “I have a suggestion. Try offering her a reward to encourage her to come to you. Try a dog biscuit—and when you call her, ignore her silly antics. When she comes, praise her, pet her, and give her the biscuit. Eventually, she’ll get tired of wearing herself out for nothing. She’ll learn that she needs to come to you so she can have her reward.”

“Okay,” agreed Adam. “It’s worth a try.”

Several days later, Adam called excitedly, “Look, Mom! Watch Sheba now!” Mom turned to watch as Adam called to his puppy. “Sheba, come!” The puppy stopped chewing on her dog toy, looked at Adam, and cocked her head. Adam repeated the command. “Come, Sheba!” He held up a dog biscuit. Sheba quickly trotted over to Adam. She stood silently beside him, stared at the biscuit, and remained still. “Good girl, Sheba!” Adam patted her and gave her the biscuit, which she ate eagerly.

Adam beamed. “Sheba’s real smart,” he said. He knelt and hugged the happy pup.

Mom smiled. “She is smart to come to her master,” she agreed. Looking wistful, she scratched behind Sheba’s ears. “If only everybody in the world would come to the Master . . . wouldn’t that be wonderful?”

“Come to the master?” repeated Adam. After a moment, he said, “I guess you mean Jesus, right?”

Mom nodded. “Right,” she agreed, “and Jesus offers a reward, too. He offers the greatest reward of all—eternal life. It’s hard to understand why more people don’t come to Him.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Have you come to Jesus? The Bible clearly says He wants you to come to Him. He’s offering a great reward—the gift of eternal life. It’s wonderful and it’s free—but you must come. He promises that when you do, He will accept you. An old, old song says, “Just as I am without one plea but that Your blood was shed for me . . . Oh, Lamb of God, I come. I come!” Will you come to Jesus today?

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
(Jesus said) The one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. John 6:37

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: February 11, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »

"First Things First"

Mr. Wagner walked to the chalkboard in his Sunday school classroom. “Tell me, boys—what should be the really important things in your lives?” he asked. The boys began to call out answers—church, Jesus, family, friends, Bible study, prayer—and Mr. Wagner wrote the words on the board.

“All right,” said Mr. Wagner. “That’s a great list.” He moved to another part of the board. “Now let’s make a different list,” he said. “What are your hobbies? What activities do you especially enjoy?”

Answers came quickly, amid much laughter and excitement—baseball, TV, computer games, football. Mr. Wagner even added a few suggestions of his own. Then he stepped back and thoughtfully looked at the two lists. “Tell me now,” he said, “which list takes up most of your time?”

It was pretty quiet for a few minutes. Several of the boys looked a bit embarrassed; some slid down in their chairs. Jordan finally said what most of them were thinking. “I guess we’re not spending much of our time on the things that are most important.”

Mr. Wagner nodded. “If we’re honest, we have to admit that the things on this first list often don’t get first place in our lives,” he agreed. “Does that mean we should get rid of the things on the second list? Or is there a way we can combine the two lists?” No one offered suggestions, so Mr. Wagner continued. “Let’s think about . . . oh . . . baseball,” he said. “Would it be fair to say we’re combining the lists if, as we play baseball, we act the way Jesus would want us to act?” The boys nodded. “Well, how would that be?” asked Mr. Warner. “What would Jesus want us to do during a baseball game?”

“Control our tempers when the umpire calls us out,” suggested Mason.

“Be good sports when we lose—and not brag when we win!” offered William.

“We can watch for chances to tell other kids about Jesus, too,” put in Jordan, “and invite them to Sunday school—stuff like that!”

Mr. Wagner nodded. “Look at the two lists and decide what you need to change in order to make them work together so that you’re really putting the important thing—actually, the important person—first,” he said.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
What is most important to you? Sports? Clothes? People? God? You know that God should come first in your life, but does He? Or have you been afraid that if you put Him first, you couldn’t continue to do other things that interest you? God doesn’t ask you to stop your daily activities—but  as you do them, your actions and thoughts should be pleasing to Him. Each day, see how many of the things you do—and the way you do them—show that God is most important in your life.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: February 12, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »

"Four Meals a Day"

“I’ve tried to get into the habit of reading my Bible every day,” said Trisha as she reached for a piece of pizza, “but I never seem to be able to keep at it. I’ll read a whole lot for a few days, and then I just . . . well . . . I quit again.” Several of the other young people nodded knowingly. They were enjoying a combination Bible study/pizza party, and their leader was encouraging them to set aside time for daily devotions.

“Bible reading is a little like eating,” said Mr. McRay. “First you take a bite, next you chew it, then you swallow it, and finally you digest it.”

Most of the kids looked puzzled. “I don’t get it. How do you take a bite of the Bible?” asked Karen.

“Well, look at this pizza,” said Mr. McRay. “It’s cut into sections, and the Bible is also divided into sections. You choose one section of pizza, and you can choose one section of the Bible—a book or chapter or just a verse or two.”

“So that’s like taking a bite,” agreed Marc, “and Mrs. Green says . . .” He tried to sound like his school lunchroom teacher. “Don’t take more than you can chew, and chew it good.” The other kids laughed at his imitation.

“Right,” agreed Mr. McRay, “and chewing your ‘bite’ of Bible would mean thinking about the verses you’ve read. Okay so far?”

“Okay . . . but then how do we ‘swallow’ what we read?” asked Sue.

“Have you ever heard someone say, ‘That story is hard to swallow’?” asked Mr. McRay. “That means it’s hard to believe. So swallowing may be compared to believing God’s Word is true.”

“So we read a little, think about it, and believe it,” said Kerri. “Then what?”

“We digest it, remember? And we just studied that in school,” said Marc. “Food is changed into something the blood can take to the rest of the body.”

Mr. McRay nodded. “When we digest food, nutrients in it are applied to our bodies,” he said. “And when we digest what we’ve read in the Bible, its lessons are applied to our lives. We let it make a difference as we obey what it teaches.” Mr. McRay lifted a piece of pizza. “ So . . . I suggest that it would be a good idea to eat four meals a day—breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a slice of your Bible.”

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you having four meals a day to include food from God’s Word? Do you read your Bible but find it hard to do so regularly? Try reading just a verse or two each day. Think about what God is saying, and never doubt that His Word is true. Then let it make a difference in your life as you obey it, receive comfort and help from God’s promises, and are encouraged by what you read. Have at least a “bite of Bible” each day!

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4

Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 372 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the