Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Lessons On Living
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lessons On Living  (Read 67149 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 14, 2006, 02:09:25 PM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll
Source: Lessons On Living From Abraham
Scripture: Genesis 15:13-14

We Win

Genesis 15:13-14

Then He said to Abram: "Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years. And also the nation whom they serve I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions."

We Win

Life can be tough; it can also be scary. Maybe you wonder where you’ll ever find the courage to face a fearful future. That’s the question someone asked Billy Graham; he responded, "I’ve read the last chapter of Revelation, and we win."

As God revealed to Abraham the fate of his descendants, it sounded less than exciting. For 400 years they would be the slaves of another nation. Have you ever wondered what kept them going when they were oppressed and mistreated by the Egyptians? Maybe it was God’s promise, "I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions." In other words, in the end, "you win."

Yes, along the way there would be hardships and affliction, but when Israel got to the bottom line, those who afflicted them would be judged and they would be rewarded. This was not a "maybe," but something God promised that Abraham could "know certainly."

Your life, too, is bound to have its share of heartache and sadness. No one can pass through their years on earth without some mistreatment and unfairness. You may even echo the cry of the prophet Habakkuk: "O Lord, how long shall I cry, and You will not hear? Even cry out to You, ‘Violence!’ And You will not save" (Hab. 1:2). In the midst of the pain, however, you must always cling to the unchangeable truth that in the end we win.

When you experience bone-crunching difficulties, meditate on verses such as 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 and Revelation 7:14-17 and 21:4. Take comfort in the truth that, despite what you may be going through right now, in the end, you win.

The present is bearable when we’re confident that the future is glorious.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 16, 2006, 10:44:23 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 15:15-16

The Patience of God

Genesis 15:15-16

Now as for you, you shall go to your fathers in peace; you shall be buried at a good old age. But in the fourth generation [your descendants] shall return here, for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet complete.

The Patience of God

For the most part, people are very impatient. The moment the stoplight turns green, the driver behind us invariably honks his horn. You can just see the frustration and impatience in the faces of those caught in a long line at the grocery store checkout stand. Fortunately, God demonstrates a great deal more restraint than we do.

When God revealed to Abraham some things yet to come, He advised him that his descendants would not return to the land for four generations because "the iniquity of the Amorites" was not yet complete. Even though these people were pagans, God continued to demonstrate patience toward them. With Abraham dwelling in their midst (Gen. 13:7), there was always the possibility that individuals, if not the nation as a whole, might turn to the God of Abraham. While man might have brought swift judgment, God graciously gave these people over 400 more years to turn from their idolatry and embrace the living God.

The apostle Peter spoke of this same graciousness. He reminded his readers, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance" (2 Pet. 3:9).

Satan loves to convince us that God’s patience with us has come to an end. He tries to persuade us that we have sinned just one time too often and God has washed His hands of us. But we must reject this lie. While we must not abuse God’s patience, He still stands ready to forgive and receive us back when we repent. Be confident that you can never deplete the patience of God, if your heart is pure and your repentance sincere.

The perverseness of man cannot exhaust the patience of God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 16:1-2

Running Ahead of God

Genesis 16:1-2

Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. And she had an Egyptian maidservant whose name was Hagar. So Sarai said to Abram, "See now, the Lord has restrained me from bearing children. Please, go in to my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children by her." And Abram heeded the voice of Sarai.

Running Ahead of God

A friend went to visit the great preacher Phillips Brooks and found him pacing the floor like a caged lion. His friend asked, "What’s the trouble, Dr. Brooks?" He replied, "The trouble is that I’m in a hurry but God isn’t."

Abraham could have identified with those feelings. God had promised him a son, but, from a human perspective, time was running out. In fact, with Abraham nearly 86 and Sarah 76 years old, most people would have said that time had already run out. Obviously God needed help. In the Ancient Near East, it was acceptable for a barren woman to give her maid as a substitute to bear children for her, so Sarah suggested Abraham take Hagar and let her bear his child. In his hurry, Abraham ran ahead of God and the consequences are still felt in the Middle East today. The Arab nations (descended from Ishmael, the son of the maid servant) and Israel (descended from Abraham’s legitimate heir, Isaac) continue to be bitter enemies.

God not only has a divine will, He also has an eternal timetable. Just as the apostle Paul reminded Christians that in "the fullness of time" God sent His Son (Gal. 4:4) and "in due time Christ died for the ungodly" (Rom. 5:6), so God has a schedule for everything in our lives as well. We certainly don’t want to lag behind God’s agenda, but it’s equally disastrous to run ahead of it.

As you seek God’s will for your life, seek His timetable as well. Don’t let your impatience carry you ahead of God. To do the right thing at the wrong time makes the right thing the wrong thing.

We need to keep in step with God’s time as well as His will.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 17, 2006, 01:19:40 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 16:5-6

Who's in Charge?

Genesis 16:5-6

Then Sarai said to Abram, "My wrong be upon you! I gave my maid into your embrace; and when she saw that she had conceived, I became despised in her eyes. The Lord judge between you and me." So Abram said to Sarai, "Indeed your maid is in your hand; do to her as you please." And when Sarai dealt harshly with her, she fled from her presence.

Who’s in Charge?

A writer for the Chicago Tribune observed, "Americans crave leadership, but what is it?" According to an expert he quoted, a leader has "a moral compass, a set of core beliefs, a firmness that is not authoritarian, strong powers of persuasion in articulating a vision, and a self-effacing manner." Those qualities are not only scarce in the workplace, they’re often lacking in the home as well.

In many respects, Abraham was a great leader, but apparently he wasn’t strong enough to do what was right in his own household. At a time when Sarah needed a strong hand to guide her through a fit of jealousy, Abraham failed. He abdicated his role as the leader of his home and a grave injustice was committed as a result.

Our society needs strong leaders everywhere, but nowhere more than in the home. God established an order for the family that made it normative for the man to be the leader when present. The apostle Paul says, "For the husband is head of the wife . . . . Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything" (Eph. 5:23-24; cf. 1 Cor. 11:3).

God’s design for the family is not popular in today’s culture, but it’s still God’s design. Men, take seriously your role as the head of the home. Know the core values God wants for your family and see that they are established. Wives, let your husband be the leader. Support him in his leadership and respect his authority. When we do what is right in the home, the nation will follow.

Leadership in the home is an issue of obedience, not equality.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 20, 2006, 03:43:17 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 17:1

Complete in His Power

Genesis 17:1

When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless."

Complete in His Power

A farmer and his son were working together in the field. The father told the boy to throw all the large stones he could find into a nearby ditch so they would not interfere with plowing. After working a long time, the son called out, "Dad, there’s one rock here I can’t move even though I’ve tried my hardest." "No, Son," replied the father, "you haven’t tried your hardest until you’ve called for me to help you. I can give you the strength you need." The father came alongside the boy and added his strength. Together, they moved the stubborn rock with ease.

God also called upon Abraham to do something that was impossible for him, if tried under his own power. God commanded him to "walk before Me and be blameless." The word blameless (Heb. tamym) carries the sense of being complete, whole or mature. It implies a level of integrity that is rarely found among men. Such blamelessness would have been impossible for Abraham, except for one condition: the One who called him to such a level of maturity was the Almighty God.

Many people have tried to live the Christian life in their own power, and they all have failed. Some have come to believe that it’s impossible to achieve such maturity in a sinful world. And, apart from the Almighty God, it is. But God said, "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?" (Jer. 32:27). The apostle Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13, emphasis mine).

Cast yourself upon the mighty power of God. Only He is able to present you faultless before the throne. In His power your life can be complete and your walk can be blameless.

With God’s power behind us, nothing can stand before us.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 20, 2006, 03:44:29 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 17:3-6

Get Off the Merry-go-Round

Genesis 17:3-6

Then Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying: "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you shall be a father of many nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you."

Get Off the Merry-go-round

An irate woman met her husband when he got off a merry-go-round and said, "Now, look at you. You spent your money, you got off right where you got on, and you haven’t been anywhere!" Unfortunately, that’s an accurate picture of life for many people today. But God has so much more to offer.

That was true with Abraham. The first 75 years he sought his fortune, first in Ur and later in Haran (Gen. 12:4). Then God called him to begin a journey that was both physical and spiritual. Abraham spent the next 24 years seeking to follow his God. However, he also spent a good deal of time living by his own wits instead of trusting the Lord. Finally, shortly before reaching the century mark, he learned the secret. He "fell on his face." Abraham totally surrendered to God, and it was then that God gave His most spectacular promises. From Abram (Father of Height), God changed his name to Abraham (Father of a Multitude). From an obscure desert sheik, he became the forerunner of kings and nations.

For those willing to submit to Him, God has an abundant life in store. In fact, the apostle Paul reminds us, "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him" (1 Cor. 2:9).

If life seems a bit like a merry-go-round to you, maybe it’s time to discover God’s abundant life. Surrender yourself completely to Him and find a life more fulfilling than you can imagine.

The abundant life comes not by accumulating but by letting go.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 20, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 17:17

A Rest for Your Faith

Genesis 17:17

Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, "Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?"

A Rest for Your Faith

When John Paton was translating the Bible for a South Pacific island tribe, he discovered that they had no word for trust or faith. One day a native who had been running hard came into the missionary's house, flopped down in a large chair and said, "It's good to rest my whole weight on this chair." "That's it!" exclaimed Paton. "I'll translate faith as resting one's whole weight on God."

Abraham was a man of faith--but sometimes that faith was in the wrong place. When God told him he would have a son, he looked at himself and said, "Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old?" Obviously, from a human perspective that was a ridiculous notion. Instead of resting his faith wholly upon God, Abraham was trying to carry part of the burden himself.

Faith always falters when we trust in our own capabilities. If something was doable by human standards, faith would not be necessary. The essence of faith requires that it is something that can be accomplished only if God undertakes it for us. The ultimate example of this, of course, is our own salvation. When He was asked, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus responded, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God" (Luke 18:27). The apostle Paul declares in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things," but then he goes on to clarify, "through Christ who strengthens me." It is not we who can do all things, but Christ.

Where is your faith resting? Are you depending upon your own resources, or are you resting your whole weight upon God? Whether it's for your ultimate salvation or some daily responsibility, have faith in God. Only He can do the impossible.

What the world calls ridiculous, God calls faith.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 22, 2006, 12:51:12 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 17:10 Genesis 17:22-23

Instant Obedience

Genesis 17:10

"This is My covenant which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: Every male child among you shall be circumcised."

Genesis 17:22-23

Then He finished talking with him, and God went up from Abraham. So Abraham took Ishmael his son, all who were born in his house and all who were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham?s house, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskins that very same day, as God had said to him.

Instant Obedience

Supermarkets are filled with all kinds of instant products: instant pudding, instant coffee, instant soup, instant potatoes and so much more. We seem to want everything instantly these days. Unfortunately, no supermarket stocks instant obedience.

Throughout his years of walking with the Lord, Abraham learned that the best type of obedience was instant obedience. When God declared circumcision to be the sign of His covenant with Abraham and his descendants, this desert potentate lost no time in seeing that every male in his household was circumcised. Nor did he exclude himself. It was not a matter of "I direct; you perform." At the age of 99, Abraham subjected himself to the same temporary discomfort as everyone else. Doing God?s will knows no rank or privileges.

This same instant obedience should be a part of our walk today. To become a Christian is relatively simple; to live like one is another matter. We become a Christian by repentant faith; we live as a Christian only as we obey Christ's commands. The extent of that commitment is measured by the speed with which we obey. The Holy Spirit says through the writer of Hebrews, "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, in the day of trial in the wilderness" (Heb. 3:7-8).

If the Lord has been speaking to you about a matter of obedience, stop delaying. The blessing you receive by doing God's will is directly proportional to the speed with which you begin to do it.

Salvation is through faith; maturity is through obedience.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:32:38 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 22, 2006, 12:52:18 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 18:2-3

Angels Unaware

Genesis 18:2-3

So he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing by him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door

to meet them, and bowed himself to the ground, and said, "My Lord, if I have now found favor in Your sight, do not pass on by Your servant."

Angels Unaware

"Old Bill" was hired to sweep streets in a small town. During the hot days of July and August, Mrs. Brown on the corner got into the habit of taking him a glass of lemonade and a slice of cake. He thanked her shyly and that was all. But one evening there came a knock at the back door of her home. Bill was there with a sack of apples in one hand and a handful of roasting ears in the other. He said, "I brought you these, Ma'am, for your kindness." "Oh, you shouldn't have," exclaimed Mrs. Brown. "It was nothing." "Well, no," the street sweeper agreed, "maybe it wasn't much, but it was more than anyone else did."

Abraham was equally aware of the needs of those around him. When three strangers appeared in front of his tent, he was more than eager to extend hospitality to them. He could have thought, Surely someone who is less busy than I am will have compassion on them. But he didn't. Instead, he ran to meet them and begged for an opportunity to show hospitality to these travelers.

The Bible says that hospitality is to characterize the Christian life. In fact, it's so important that it's listed as one of the qualifications for anyone desiring a position of leadership in the church (1 Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:8). The writer of Hebrews said, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels" (Heb. 13:2).

Do yourself a favor: when you have opportunity to open your home to a troubled teenager or to host a foreign student while the dorms are closed, do it! You never know when you might come across an angel.

Some may have the gift of hospitality, but we all have the responsibility.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:30:04 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 27, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »

Scripture: Genesis 22:1-2

The Ultimate Sacrifice

Genesis 22:1-2

Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." And He said, "Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you."

The Ultimate Sacrifice

C. S. Lewis said, "To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken."

Abraham must have felt that way. He had waited 25 years to receive the blessing that God had promised him on the day he packed up his family and possessions and left Haran. He had waited 100 years to receive a very special son. How his heart must have ached when God commanded him to take his only son, his precious Isaac, and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on Mount Moriah. Even though he responded in faith, we can't imagine the hurt. It was the ultimate sacrifice.

But Abraham is not the only one who was ever asked to make an ultimate sacrifice. God, too, gave His only begotten Son. The apostle Paul reminds us that God "did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all" (Rom. 8:32). And Peter draws our attention to the fact that "you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot" (1 Pet. 1:18-19). God knows the pain of an ultimate sacrifice.

Has God asked you to make a sacrifice? Perhaps it's been the loss of a child, a cancer diagnosis, a bankruptcy. Do you feel that your life is in ashes, hopeless and irrecoverable? Lift your eyes to the Lord. Ask Him to meet you at the point of your need. God understands. He will comfort you.

The greater the pain, the greater the compassion.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:27:51 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 27, 2006, 11:56:01 AM »

Scripture: Genesis 22:7-8

Divine Provision

Genesis 22:7-8

But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, "My father!" And he said, "Here I am, my son." Then he said, "Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" And Abraham said, "My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering." And the two of them went together.

Divine Provision

A young girl was taking a long journey, and in the course of her travels her train had to cross a number of rivers. Each time the train approached water, her doubts were awakened. She didn't understand how such raging torrents could safely be crossed. As they drew near the river, however, a bridge invariably appeared and provided the way over. Finally the little girl leaned back with a sigh of relief and said with confidence, "Somebody has put bridges for us all the way!"

Abraham showed the same confidence as he faced the possibility of sacrificing his only son. Never had his faith been more severely tested. Yet he could confidently reply to Isaac, "God will supply the lamb." Abraham didn't know how God was going to do it, but he believed without reservation that God would.

That same confidence can be yours and mine. We often don't know how God will provide. He may supply in a way that we would not have chosen. That is not for us to say. Our assurance is that God will meet our needs, however He chooses. The apostle Paul reminds us, "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:19).

God may meet your need for healing by miraculously restoring your body. Or, He may choose to give you the strength to endure an illness with courage. God may relieve your financial situation through a generous gift. Then again, He may provide just enough to get you through each month. How He meets your need is evidence of His sovereignty. That He meets your need is evidence of His grace. It's not necessary that we know how, as long as we know Him.

Our need is simply an opportunity for God's provision.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:25:41 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 29, 2006, 03:18:15 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 22:9-10

Making Sense

Genesis 22:9-10

Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.

Making Sense

Pablo Picasso was the most famous painter of the 20th century. His paintings often broke with the traditional notion of beauty and harmony. When questioned about his unusual artistic style, the distinguished painter replied, "The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?" Many people would probably agree with his observation. Often the world doesn't seem to make sense.

Surely this thought must have passed through Abraham's mind when God commanded him to sacrifice his son. After all, Abraham had waited 100 years for the birth of this child. But there was more involved here than paternal love. God had made significant promises with worldwide implications based on Abraham's descendants. It simply didn't make sense for Abraham now to take this essential link to the future welfare of the world and offer him as a sacrifice.

Fortunately, if this thought did pass through Abraham's mind, it didn't stay. He bound his son on the altar and lifted the sacrificial knife. He had learned from his past mistakes never to question God and never to delay obeying Him. With a faith that took captive his feelings, he prepared to do exactly as God commanded.

The lesson of Abraham is clear. It is not necessary to understand; it is only necessary to obey. The prophet Samuel reminds us, "To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams" (1 Sam. 15:22). Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15).

If God is calling you to take a step of faith that defies earthly wisdom, put obedience first and let logic catch up.

If you can't understand the why, trust the Who.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:23:32 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 29, 2006, 03:21:19 PM »

Scripture: Genesis 22:18

Make My Life a Blessing

Genesis 22:18

In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.

Make My Life a Blessing

The creed for a lot of parents these days is, "Get even. Live long enough to be a problem to your kids." That's humorous, and in some circumstances, understandable, but it's not very good advice. Abraham's life illustrates a different approach: he lived long enough to be a blessing.

Think what we might have missed had Abraham died at an earlier age. During his first 75 years, he lived as a dutiful son to his father, Terah, and a faithful husband to his wife, Sarah. He was a blessing to these two, but there were many others ahead. Through years of tests and trials God purified his life and taught him obedience. Then finally, at age 99, he stood ready to be a blessing to the whole world. Through his son, born when Abraham was 100, came the Messiah, who would bring hope and salvation to "all the nations of the earth."

Christians should view each year God gives us as an opportunity to be an even greater blessing to those around us. The older we grow, the more blessed our presence should be. We must be careful that the years don't simply increase our litany of complaints or add to our list of ailments. Let's seal our lips against giving unwanted advice; let's be available but not meddlesome. Instead of seeking how we can be blessed, let's seek to be a blessing instead.

Whose life might you bless today? Is there someone you can encourage with a note or phone call? Is there an act of kindness you might do for a neighbor? Accumulate more for yourself than just the years you live; collect the opportunities to be a blessing to others.

Live life to be a blessing, not a bystander.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 31, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »

Scripture: Genesis 23:12-13

Guarding the Golden Years

Genesis 23:12-13

Then Abraham bowed himself down before the people of the land; and he spoke to Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, saying, "If you will give it, please hear me. I will give you money for the field; take it from me and I will bury my dead there."

Guarding the Golden Years

Before and after the Civil War, the Reverend Henry Ward Beecher was the most famous preacher in America. He drew crowds of thousands to his church in Brooklyn each week. He reportedly earned the princely sum of $40,000 per year. Delighting in his treasures, Beecher enjoyed carrying with him uncut gems and openly endorsed commercial products ranging from soap to watches. Then in 1874, Beecher's friend and protégé, Theodore Tilton, accused the preacher of seducing his wife. His trial was such an attraction that admission tickets were sold to the public. The jury failed to reach a verdict, but Beecher's influence and popularity continued undiminished for another 13 years until his death.

What a contrast this is with the closing days of Abraham's life. While he had faltered in his earlier years, failing to fully trust the Lord, he spent his latter days as a shining example of a man who had total faith in God. Even in the midst of his grief, as he prepared to bury his beloved Sarah, he maintained his integrity. Confronted with the exorbitant request for 400 shekels of silver for a plot of ground, he courteously conceded. Refusing to lower himself to the level of a Bedouin huckster, he demonstrated the graciousness of a man who had learned to put his life in God's hands.

Great Christians are not great because of what they say; they're great because of what they do. And what they do during their darkest days is the best indicator of their integrity.

The latter years of every Christian should be our best. A good start is a wonderful thing, but a good finish is even better.

Make sure your golden years are more than gold-plated.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 31, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »

Scripture: Genesis 25:11 Genesis 25:8

Pass It On

Genesis 25:8, 11

Then Abraham breathed his last and died in a good old age, an old man and full of years, and was gathered to his people. And it came to pass, after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac. And Isaac dwelt at Beer Lahai Roi.

Pass It On

A man's character often lives on long after he is gone. Take Jonathan Edwards, for example. He loved the Lord and taught his children to do the same. According to one estimate, he has had 929 descendants. Of these, 430 were ministers; 86 were university professors; 13 became university presidents; 75 authored good books; and 7 were elected to the United States Congress. One was vice president of his nation. Edwards left a spiritual heritage that became a blessing not only for his descendants, but for all of society.

Abraham did the same. At the age of 175 he was "gathered to his people." But that wasn't the end. Abraham passed on to his son a spiritual heritage that brought God's blessing upon Isaac and, down through the centuries, to all of us through Jesus Christ, a distant descendant of this godly patriarch. Abraham didn't merely "pass on"; he made it possible for God to pass on His blessings through his descendants.

We all need to live with future generations in mind. It's not enough to live a godly life to gain God's blessings for yourself; consider what influence your life will have on your grandchildren, your great-grandchildren and the rest of your family tree. The character you choose to develop will leave its mark on the lives of generations you'll never live to see.

Don't be content to leave an inheritance of material possessions. Instead, strive to be a channel for God's blessings to reach generations still unborn. The greatest inheritance your posterity can receive from you is the heritage of God's blessing.

Live so your descendants will rise up and call you blessed.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the