Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:18:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Lessons On Living
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lessons On Living  (Read 67209 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2005, 01:50:25 AM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll
Source: Lessons on Living From Moses
Scripture: Exodus 15:26 1 Corinthians 6:19

The Key to Health

Exodus 15:26

"If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you."

The Key to Health

Millions of people are exploring alternatives to traditional Western medicine. Such approaches as biofeedback, autogenics training, kinesiology, bioenergetics, reflexology, stress management, homeopathy, naturopathy and macrobiotics are just a few of the possibilities. But God offers the real key to health; it’s called obedience.

God told the Israelites if they would "give ear to His commandments" and "keep all His statutes," they would avoid many of the illnesses that plagued the people of Egypt. This was not a matter of "buying" their obedience; it was a matter of natural consequences. By avoiding sin, they would avoid the unhealthy results of sin as well.

This principle still holds true today. We talk a great deal about breaking God’s laws, but we really only break ourselves against God’s laws. By living contrary to God’s commandments, people contract sexually transmitted diseases; others weaken their bodies by a lack of exercise, poor diets and high stress; still others smoke or drink themselves into life-threatening danger.

It is God’s will that you treat your body as the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19). Don’t take it anywhere or expose it to anything that you know to be contrary to God’s law. Get appropriate rest, eat healthy food and reduce stress. Obedience is the key. Living in harmony with His commandments will avoid many illnesses and make others more easy to overcome.

An ounce of obedience is worth a pound of protection.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:17:20 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 02:37:57 PM »

Yes indeed. And what commandment shall we obey?

Love one another as you love yourself!!

Rom 13:8  Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Love one another as Jesus loved us!!

Joh 15:12  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Jo 3:23  And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

And with what kind of love are we to love? Certainly not the world's view of love. Nay, rather, look at 1 Corinthians chapter 13.

4 Love endures long and is patient and kind;
love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy,
is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride);
it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly.
Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking;
it is not touchy or fretful or resentful;
it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6 It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7 Love bears up under anything and everything that comes,
is ever ready to believe the best of every person,
its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances,
and it endures everything [without weakening].

8 Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end].

(Amplified version)

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 03:04:38 AM »

Amen ZakDar!

Love is the greatest commandment, and loving Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour is the greatest healing for a lost and dying world.

The Law of Faith in Jesus Christ will set men free from the curse of sin and death. Brother, the time grows short.

Love In Christ,
Tom

I Peter 1:18-19  Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 05:03:47 PM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Scripture: Exodus 16:7

Glory in the Morning

Exodus 16:7

And in the morning you shall see the glory of the Lord.

Glory in the Morning

Some days make you wonder if you should have stayed in bed. You cut yourself shaving, you spill coffee on your clothes, you have a computer crash at work, you receive overdue notices in the mail, and your son breaks his arm on the jungle gym at school. It’s enough to make you want to crawl under the covers and hide.

The Israelites also were experiencing difficulties. They were hot, tired, hungry and upset. They even wondered if they should have stayed in Egypt. This trip was more difficult than they thought it was going to be.

In the midst of these trials, God did two things: He gave them manna for their physical bodies, but He also promised to reveal His glory to them "in the morning" for their spiritual well-being. God knew that the trials of the day needed a spiritual response as well as physical relief. And He chose to meet that spiritual need while the day was yet young.

When the day is hectic, the frustrations plentiful and the disappointments thick, it’s time to turn to God. Yet how different the day might have gone had we turned to the Lord before we ever got started. Whether the events of the day change or not, when we have first spent time fellowshipping with God, we are better prepared to face them.

Perhaps you aren’t a morning person—many people aren’t. Yet getting up even 10 minutes earlier and spending those moments reading your Bible and praying will yield greater dividends than you might imagine. When you meet with God first in the morning, it’s much easier to keep Him first all day.

How you begin your day will frequently determine how you end it.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 05:51:39 PM »

Scripture: Exodus 17:9 Titus 2:3-5 2 Timothy 2:1 1 Timothy 1:2-18 Titus 1:4

The Mentor

Exodus 17:9

And Moses said to Joshua, "Choose us some men and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in my hand."

The Mentor

Webster defines a mentor as a "trusted counselor or guide." He comes alongside you not to control, but to advise. He is a source of wisdom and counsel. He does not live your life for you, but gently guides you through the potholes and the obstacles so that you can live successfully.

Mentoring may be a new concept for many Christians today, but it’s an old idea rooted in biblical tradition. Moses acted as a mentor to Joshua. He advised and trained this young man in all areas of life until, when it was time to receive the mantel of leadership, Joshua was ready.

The Church today needs to return to the practice of mentoring. Paul was a mentor to such young men as Timothy and Titus, whom he called "sons" (1 Tim. 1:2,18; 2 Tim. 2:1; Titus 1:4). To the senior women of the church he commanded, "the older women likewise, that they . . . admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed" (Titus 2:3-5).

If you are mature in the faith, find someone of the same gender who would be interested in learning from your experiences. If you are a new Christian, seek out the companionship of a believer who demonstrates by the fruit in his life that he has a dynamic relationship with Christ and then seek his counsel. This is God’s plan for leadership training. Every Christian should either be mentored or be a mentor.

In helping others, we help ourselves.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 07:35:28 PM »

Scripture: Exodus 17:14

Write It Down

Exodus 17:14

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write this for a memorial in the book and recount it in the hearing of Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven."

Write it Down

Have you noticed how prone to forget we humans are? Abraham Lincoln observed about his own generation, "We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of heaven. We have grown in numbers, wealth, and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and which multiplied, and enriched, and strengthened us."

God recognized that people have the habit of forgetting, so He instructed Moses to write down in a book what had taken place in the battle against the Amalekites. Furthermore, this was to be read to Joshua, the future leader of Israel, so he would be sure to remember as well. This victory would become a source of encouragement for Christians throughout history—all because it was written down.

Are you keeping a written account of the good things God has done for you? Is there a record of the victories that God has brought about in your life? Some people keep a daily spiritual diary; others record only special events. But in some fashion God’s blessings need to be committed to something more dependable than our faulty memories.

When you’re feeling discouraged, or perhaps even wondering if God loves you, take out your journal and refresh your memory. The entries in your journal can be a continuing source of encouragement for you. In addition, take the opportunity to share with your children or grandchildren what God has done for you. The God who has dealt with you so graciously in the past is the same God who wants to work in their lives as well.

The weakest ink is stronger than the greatest memory.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 08:50:10 AM »

Scripture: Exodus 18:2-5 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

A Family Reunion

Exodus 18:2-5

Then Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, took Zipporah, Moses’ wife, after he had sent her back, with her two sons, of whom the name of one was Gershom . . . and the name of the other was Eliezer . . . and Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, came with his sons and his wife to Moses in the wilderness, where he was encamped at the mountain of God.

A Family Reunion

Beau Arceneaux was 15 months old when he was kidnapped by his father and taken from Louisiana to live in Austin, Texas. Years later, as he visited a chat room on the Internet, a couple of people became curious about this boy who had no contact with his mother. So they informed the police. In December 1995, the FBI showed up at Beau’s home to tell him his mother had been searching for him for the past 12 years. On December 20, mother and son were joyfully reunited.

Have you ever been separated from your family? If you have ever been apart from your family for any length of time, you know how difficult it is. I was apart from my wife and children during my last semester of seminary while I was studying in France. I was thousands of miles away, living in a foreign country, knowing I would not see them for months. It wasn’t easy.

Moses also had been separated from his family. Zipporah, his wife of 40 years, and his two sons had been sent back to the land of Midian while he returned to Egypt to lead Israel to freedom. With that challenge behind him, Moses was ready to be reunited with his loved ones—and Jethro was gracious enough to bring this about. While Scripture gives no details, you can imagine what a joyful reunion it was.

As Christians we also have the joy of anticipating a very special reunion. Scripture says,

"And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord" (1 Thess. 4:16-17). Now that’s a family reunion! Someday we’ll experience a reunion that never ends. Hallelujah!

Christians never say "good-bye"; just "until we meet again."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:51:39 AM »

Scripture: Exodus 17:15-16 Matthew 28:20 John 1:14

His Banner Over Me

Exodus 17:15-16

And Moses built an altar and called its name, The-Lord-Is-My-Banner; for he said, "Because the Lord has sworn: the Lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation."

His Banner Over Me

Queen Elizabeth II of England has three royal residences (Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and the Palace of Holyrood) plus two private homes. This could be confusing for those who want to find her except for one important fact: the queen’s banner always flies over whichever residence she is currently occupying. If her banner of blue and gold is on the flagpole, the queen is sure to be present.

Moses also had a banner. After the battle with the army of Amalek, he built an altar and called it "The-Lord-Is-My-Banner." Moses wanted everyone to know that God was in residence with His people. Despite the attacks of the Amalekites, God would never desert the people of Israel. Generation after generation could look up and know that the Lord was present in their midst.

As Christians, we should raise the Lord’s banner over our lives. No matter how difficult our situation becomes, God will not abandon His residence in our midst. The apostle John declared, "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us" (John 1:14). And Jesus said, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matt. 28:20). If the King is present, His banner should fly.

Is it obvious to those around you that the King is in residence in your life? Make sure that His flag, colored with faith, hope and love, flies high over the castle of your life. It’s a privilege to fly that banner; it’s a shame not to.

If the King is in residence, be sure to fly His flag.

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 12:33:31 PM »

I like to think of it this way. His banner over us is His love.

O give thanks unto the Lord. For he is good, and his mercy endures forever.

Hallelujah!! His mercy for me endures forever. His mercy for you endures forever. His mercy will forever hover over you!!

Glory be to God!!!

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 01:55:13 PM »

Oh, I loved this.  Thanks for posting it, BEP.

AMEN, Zak.

Oh, what a blessed hope we have!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 03:32:29 AM »

Scripture: Exodus 18:7-8

Respecting Your Elders

Exodus 18:7-8

So Moses went out to meet his father-in-law, bowed down, and kissed him. And they asked each other about their well-being, and they went into the tent. And Moses told his father-in-law all that the Lord had done to Pharaoh and to the Egyptians for Israel’s sake, all the hardship that had come upon them on the way, and how the Lord had delivered them.

Respecting Your Elders

Rodney Dangerfield is the original "I don’t get no respect" man. No matter how hard he tries, to hear the comedian tell it, no one shows him any respect. Some of the elderly could voice the same complaint. As more people are living longer, they are becoming the victims of everything from physical abuse to con artists’ scams.

This differs significantly from the respect Moses showed his father-in-law. Even though Moses was the leader of a great host of people, he bowed before Jethro as a sign of humility and kissed him as a sign of affection. And in the midst of the many needs of a demanding people, he took time to share with Jethro all the events that had transpired since he had seen him last.

As we deal with the elderly, we must do so with patience and compassion. Most of them have made significant sacrifices to raise their families, to defend their country and to make an honest living. In their golden years they deserve to be treated with respect.

If you have elderly parents, take time to be involved in their lives. Listen to their stories (even if you’ve heard then a hundred times before); sympathize with their aches and pains; look for opportunities to make their lives a little easier. If your parents are no longer alive, perhaps there is an elderly neighbor or someone at church who could benefit from your attention. We are not judged by how we treat the strong and powerful but by how we respect the weak and helpless. Besides, having made an investment of time and interest in an elderly person, you may discover that the return on your investment was greater than the investment itself.

Treat the elderly as a nonrenewable resource; they are!

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 08:25:58 AM »

Amen to that!! I learned in my 30s just how much knowledge and experience is built up in the elderly. What a resource!!

Yet I see children casting off their parents to "homes" and the like because they don't want them around. Something is very wrong with that.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 03:35:01 PM »

Scripture: Proverbs 27:6 Exodus 18:14-17

The Test of a True Friend

Exodus 18:14, 17

So when Moses’ father-in-law saw all that he did for the people, he said, "What is this thing that you are doing for the people? Why do you alone sit, and all the people stand before you from morning until evening?" So Moses’ father-in-law said to him, "The thing that you do is not good."

The Test of a True Friend

Antisthenes, the cynic philosopher, use to say, "There are only two people who will tell you the truth about yourself—an enemy who has lost his temper and a friend who loves you dearly." The true test of a friend is not how frequently he is with you but how honest he is with you.

Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, was a true friend. When he saw Moses wearing himself out doing something that others could do just as well, he plainly said, "The thing that you do is not good." His concern for his son-in-law’s health would not allow him to stay quiet.

Telling our friends the truth has its hazards because the truth often hurts. Their initial reaction may not be a positive one. Yet Scripture says, "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful" (Prov. 27:6). The role of a faithful friend is not always an easy one.

If you find it necessary to share a potentially hurtful truth with your friend, approach the situation only after much prayer. Pray that your attitude would be one of humility and servanthood. Ask God to provide the right situation in which to share the truth. Seek wisdom in how to best express yourself so that what you say will be viewed by your friend as constructive rather than destructive. Pray, prepare, then just do it. Faithfulness is not gauged by your intentions but by your actions. You never help your friend with good intentions alone, but with good intentions that result in good actions.

A faithful friend is a truthful friend.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 03:46:23 PM »

Scripture: Exodus 18:10-11 Jeremiah 32:27 Psalms 121:1

Great is the Lord

Exodus 18:10-11

And Jethro said, "Blessed be the Lord, who has delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians and out of the hand of Pharaoh, and who has delivered the people from under the hand of the Egyptians. Now I know that the Lord is greater than all the gods; for in the very thing in which they behaved proudly, He was above them."

Great Is the Lord

Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev once boasted that he would display the last Soviet Christian on television by 1965. Khrushchev is long dead; Christianity is more alive than ever in Russia. Karl Marx called a belief in God "the sign of the oppressed creature, the opium of the people." Marx also has gone to his eternal destiny, but the "opium" he spoke of continues to spread throughout the world. And so it has been. Leaders rise up, shake their fists at God, and then sink back into the oblivion from which they came. In the meantime, God continues to work out His plan for the world, undisturbed by their puny efforts against Him.

Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, observed the same truth about Pharaoh and the gods of Egypt. Arrogantly they had shaken their fists at God, but "He was above them." Like an ant trying to stop a locomotive, they challenged the Almighty and lost. Once again God proved "that the Lord is greater than all the gods."

Throughout history, God has demonstrated that He is greater than any person, any movement, or any situation. It is obvious why the psalmist could confidently boast, "I will lift up my eyes to the hills—from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth" (Ps. 121:1). God Himself declares, "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?" (Jer. 32:27).

If you are fearful about some godless person, some anti-Christian movement, or some threatening situation, remember where your help comes from. The God who is above all other gods will never be overwhelmed by your difficulties. The God who delivered Moses will deliver you as well. He’s just that kind of God.

Trouble never troubles God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 06:21:39 AM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Scripture: Exodus 18:21

Looking for Leadership

Exodus 18:21

Moreover you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.

Looking for Leadership

In 1789 an uncertain George Washington was urged to seek the presidency by Governor Morris, a Pennsylvania delegate to the Constitutional Convention. Morris wrote Washington, "No constitution is the same on paper and in life. The exercise of authority depends upon personal character."

Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, recognized this truth as well. He knew that his plan to relieve some of the stress in his son-in-law’s life depended on the character of the men who were chosen to execute it. That’s why he urged Moses to choose men who were not only competent but who also had a healthy fear of God, who spoke the truth and avoided greed.

Unfortunately, this fundamental principle of public service is often not carefully observed. In both church and government, people have been put into positions of leadership based on their abilities with little regard for their character. In fact, one poll found that 67 percent of voters think a political leader can have "substantial flaws in personal character" but still govern effectively. Such a position is contrary to Scripture, experience, and common sense.

As you face the responsibility of electing officials in your church and government, give careful consideration to their character. Select individuals who not only are able, but who also fear God, uphold the truth and reject greed. People of good character who possess no skills in leadership usually do not make good leaders. But people with leadership skills and little character make even worse leaders. They lead us wherever their character will permit, and that is usually not toward God.

What a man is will always determine what a man does.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the