Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:23:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  FREEWARE Anti-Virus Protection (Windows)
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Which FREEWARE Anti-Virus protection program do you use and why?
None - 0 (0%)
Avast - 3 (30%)
AVG - 5 (50%)
Other - 2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FREEWARE Anti-Virus Protection (Windows)  (Read 4553 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:41:23 AM »

We haven't talked about really good FREEWARE in quite some time, so I thought it might be interesting to get an idea about the top programs being used.

By FREEWARE, I'm talking about completely free software with no strings attached (i.e. no advertising, not a trial, not crippled, etc.).

Windows doesn't offer any anti-virus protection that I'm aware of, unless they count their firewall as partial protection. More and more companies are starting to offer excellent FREEWARE anti-virus programs, and it really isn't necessary anymore to spend large amounts of money for virus protection. Please tell us which FREEWARE anti-virus protection program you use and why.

I'm hoping this is fun and interesting for everyone.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 127:3-5 NASB  Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed When they speak with their enemies in the gate.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:45:04 AM »

I have been using Norton anti-virus recently because I got it free with my new computer. It is a bulky program and takes a lot of memory to employ even though it has been a reliable program elsewise. When the time on it runs out though I am going to start using Avast. I have used it before. It is much more compact, faster and very reliable AND IT'S FREE!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 12:07:14 AM »

Hello Pastor Roger,

I used Norton for years, but I just didn't have the money when it came time to renew it this year.

I did considerable research on this and I'm using Avast. I must say that I'm extremely happy with it. The protection ratings for Avast are just as high as any commercial product right now. One of the things I like the best is less system resources taken up, greater speed, and ease of use. Avast does almost continual signature updates, so I feel that I have excellent protection and saved what little money I have.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Philippians 4:12-13 NASB  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:54:49 AM »

I use AVG, I've tried Avast but, it was too much of a system hog.

Resting with Jesus.
Bob

Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 02:14:42 AM »

I use AVG, I've tried Avast but, it was too much of a system hog.

Resting with Jesus.
Bob

Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

Interesting - I might have to check into that some more. It was between AVG and Avast when I researched which one I would use on my system. Both consistently have top ratings, and both are known to use much less system resources than the commercial packages. Maybe some personal preferences are based on the size and speed of the computer. I was happy, but your additional information might make me reconsider.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 119:114 NASB  You are my hiding place and my shield; I wait for Your word.

John 3:16

My Heavenly Father Is Alive Today

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 11:51:44 AM »

i use McAfee Scan it works great on here

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 12:07:18 PM »

Hello Brother Richard,

It's great to hear from you. We've been missing you. I hope and pray that things have been going well for you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Peter 1:3 NASB  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 01:27:36 AM »

thanks brother i am doing a little better but i still need prayer and i want to thank every one for praying for me may God Bless you all
Richard

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 11:48:30 PM »

I use AVG aka Grisoft Anti Virus and Zone Alarm with Anti Virus also. One was Free and the latter one cost me $19.95.

I used to use Norton Anti Virus Professional, but, it hadn't caught the Virus's my others got. Plus it don't work with my Zone Alarm Anti Virus aka Firewall.

I used Avast in the past, but, when I had it, when it updated, I got a Bad Virus that Destroyed my C: drive. I not only Lost my Complete hard-drive, I deleted the Avast when I reloaded my Windows XP Home Edition. I C: drive is now my F: drive that is the original 40GB main drive, now my C: drive is my 160GB sister drive. I didn't loose my old F: Drive, it was re-named after I reloaded Windows XP Home Edition. Its a Good thing I had a back-up hard drive that didn't get hurt by the virus that Avast let through...

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 07:03:01 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

It's amazing how many bad things are out there to attack your computer. I think that some of the worst things now are Trojans, worms, and other nasties that are embedded in all sorts of things, including pictures.

I firmly believe now that Real-Time protection is required for everything, and that would be much more than a virus program. Maybe we can start another thread to deal with some other preventative measures. There are plenty of completely free ways to protect your computer with no strings attached.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 18:20 NASB  "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »

Such is the nature of using the Windows OS...lol. You're right, it is essential to have real-time protection. You need to take into account your ports, your antivirus, spyware, firewalls, incoming and outgoing tcp/udp packets...and constantly scanning cause those little 12 year old kiddies who like to just come up with something retarded and send out junk to mess up people's computers. It gives us who do it to further unlock all a product has to offer a bad name...shame on them. Lol. Just a few thought.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 12:11:41 AM »

Hello Brother Joshua,

I know that the Internet is an excellent way of sharing the Gospel of the Grace of GOD with hosts of people. In reality, every Christian trying to do this should realize that the devil will try to stop them. In fact, Christian targets are the most popular, and it's a continual struggle for Christian webmasters to keep everything going. I know that Windows makes things worse, but that doesn't mean that they don't try to attack Linux. Christians Unite is on Linux, and ADMIN does work continually in keeping everything working here.

I've always wondered what the motivation was for folks writing all of the little nasty programs that cause everyone else so much trouble. I keep coming up with one thing: it's a power trip and a game for someone who thinks they can hide behind a computer and hurt other people. The little TWITS don't get caught often enough, but it sure is nice to know that they are getting caught more and more as tracing methods become more sophisticated.

Grin  Just a silly thought: it sure would be nice if every computer keyboard was equipped with an automated STUN device that would go off when the wrong thing was done. Just wishful thinking.  Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 13:22 NASB  A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 12:16:55 AM »

it's a continual struggle for Christian webmasters to keep everything going

i agree on that because i am a Christian Webmaster of Racers For Christ Forum

Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 01:00:27 AM »

That little stun keyboard button is called the enter button when some little kiddie hacker likes to "try" to hack a computer system. it is a powertrip and a bunch of bologna. Lol I knew Christians unite was on Linux. I don't see any plausible reason it would be hosted on the Windows OS. Admin does a good job keeping things up. There are more and more programs being written for linux, but only the most severe ones that are actually made by real hackers, are enough to do any damage. The worst someone could do to my machine is make me do a full system wipe which is no problem. Just  3 hours out of my day is what it normally takes for me to completely restore everything to the way it was before tthe virus got on my computer. That includes a full system wipe. It's always good to keep a handy home made backup disk. One with programs, and one with documents and other important information, and one with music on it if you'd like. I hate those bare pieces of junk they ship with standard machines nowadays. I'd rather create my own...hee hee. As you can probably tell with my personality, I would like to do things myself. I adminnedin 5 christian chat rooms at one time...I even hosted one for a few weeks, that was a job in and of itself, keeping admins in there and trained enough to enforce the rules. Not to mention the little punks who wanted to hack my computer. I had one guy who asked me if he wanted to execute the file through e-mail or dos. Apparently he got the wrong computer, because I don't run DOS any longer. I have it disabled on to where NO one can get into it unless I allow them. Anywho, i'm currently looking into checking out the x86 build of OS X 10.4.3 Tiger and wiping my Inspiron 6000. I believe it would make a formidable machine if I could get the Mac OS on here. Man i wish that the makers of Apple's kernel and the GUI of Linux would combine. Or maybe it's the other way around...both have great kernels and both are great OS's. Say have any of ya'll tried Ubuntu? I've seen it's a nifty little bootable OS. Any thoughts? Later

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 01:02:23 AM »

it's a continual struggle for Christian webmasters to keep everything going

i agree on that because i am a Christian Webmaster of Racers For Christ Forum

Hang in there Brother! The more often you get attacked, the more you will know that the devil doesn't like what you're doing.

So, in all reality, we should smile when the devil attacks and keep going.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 4:19 NASB  And He *said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the