Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  FREEWARE Spyware Protection (Windows)
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Which FREEWARE Spyware Protection are you using and why?
Windows Malware - 0 (0%)
Spybot Search & Destroy - 1 (16.7%)
Spyware Blaster - 2 (33.3%)
AdAware - 2 (33.3%)
Other - 1 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FREEWARE Spyware Protection (Windows)  (Read 1508 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:32:57 AM »

We haven't talked about really good FREEWARE in quite some time, so I thought it might be interesting to get an idea about the top programs being used.

By FREEWARE, I'm talking about completely free software with no strings attached (i.e. no advertising, not a trial, not crippled, etc.).

Many people might be satisfied with the standard and FREE spyware protection that is offered by Windows. It is currently called Malware and is only available if you do regular Windows Updates. I think that Malware is primarily known for killing spyware, trojans, worms, etc. after they have already infected your computer. I might be wrong, but I don't think it provides real-time, preventative protection like many excellent FREEWARE programs do. Please tell us what you use and why.

I'm hoping this is fun and interesting for everyone.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 37:1-4 NASB  Do not fret because of evildoers, Be not envious toward wrongdoers. For they will wither quickly like the grass And fade like the green herb. Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »

I use the Microsoft anti-spyware even though it is in beta at the moment it has seemed to catch many that the others don't. However I use Spybit Search and Destroy as a backup because it does get some things that the other one doesn't. A double protection seems to work much better.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 12:42:32 AM »

I voted for Spybot Search and Destroy, but I also have Spyware Blaster and the Microsoft software up and active.

Spyware Blaster and Microsoft are new to me, and I really don't know how they are in comparison to Spybot. All three run together without any conflicts. I think that the best protection is preventative, and all three appear to do that without using system resources. They appear to work with registry entries and all do a good job. Nearly all reviews indicate that using more than one program is best, so I think that everyone should install 2 or 3 of the highest rated programs.

I don't know about Microsoft, but Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster consistently have the highest ratings, and they are FREE.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 17:6 NASB  Grandchildren are the crown of old men, And the glory of sons is their fathers.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:51:30 AM »

AdWare here. Cheesy

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 03:44:49 AM »

I use all 3. Spybot, AdAware and also microsoft antispyware. One will find what the others may miss. If i had to pick a fav it would probably be AdAware, but microsofts antispyware is a close seceond.

Tom, i noticed you mentioning spywareblaster in the same group. You may know already but just to clarify for people who may not know, spywareblaster does NOT remove spyware. It is a program (and an excellent program at that) that stops spyware getting onto your computer in the first place. A very valuable piece of software and free.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 04:55:19 AM »

Hello Brother Joey,

YES, I knew about Spyware Blaster. I installed it after reading a review that said it was excellent protection and didn't use any system resources. I can only assume that it uses the registry and the host file to lock out known problems. The signatures are updated for it frequently, and I don't think it slows anything down at all.

I scan with Spybot Search and Destroy, but I am thinking about adding AdAware also. If I understand correctly, none of them use system resources for protection - just when you scan, so they don't slow anything down at all while you are using the computer.

I have Christians Unite listed on my white list as a trusted site, and I'm not concerned at all about anything dangerous here. BUT, I have the security cranked up to max on everything else except Windows Update. I've NEVER had any possible problems show up in my logs from Christians Unite, so I consider it to be completely safe. I might add that ADMIN has gone to considerable trouble to make sure that Christians Unite is safe, and I appreciate that.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 103:17 NASB  But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children's children,

John 3:16

My Heavenly Father Is Alive Today

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 09:24:34 PM »

I Use Spyware Blaster I Have Used It For Over A Year And I Love It

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the