Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:02:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  FREEWARE Firewall (Windows)
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Which FREEWARE Firewall do you use and why?
Standard Windows Firewall - 1 (16.7%)
Sygate - 3 (50%)
ZoneAlarm - 2 (33.3%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FREEWARE Firewall (Windows)  (Read 3098 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:22:29 AM »

We haven't talked about really good FREEWARE in quite some time, so I thought it might be interesting to get an idea about the top programs being used.

By FREEWARE, I'm talking about completely free software with no strings attached (i.e. no advertising, not a trial, not crippled, etc.).

Many people might be satisfied with the standard Firewall that comes with Windows, but it really isn't known for high quality and good protection. More and more, many companies are offering completely FREE firewalls for private, non-commercial use. Please tell us which firewall you are using and why.

I'm hoping this is fun and interesting for everyone.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 22:6 NASB  Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:41:04 AM »

The windows firewall that came with my computer has been sufficient along with the hardware protection that I have so I haven't gone searching for anything else in the firewall category.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 12:25:48 AM »

I have consistently used the commercial version of either Norton or ZoneAlarm for years, mainly because they had the highest ratings.

But, it appears that money will be a big issue for me from now on, so I looked for good FREEWARE. I was really surprised to find out there are many excellent FREEWARE packages with ratings just as high as the commercial packages.

I ended up looking at Sygate and ZoneAlarm, both completely free. The logging functions of Sygate are much better, so I use Sygate. Sygates is not a system hog and it's fast, so I'm very happy with it. I always recommend that people test their system vulnerability at Shields Up! Steve Gibson runs Shields Up, and he is known for being the guru of computer security. He doesn't sell firewalls, so his testing is simply a free service to the public. "Stealth" is the best rating that Shields Up gives, and that's what I got with Sygate installed on my system.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Acts 10:34-35 NASB  Opening his mouth, Peter said: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:35:46 AM »

I use Sygate, as well, ZoneAlarm locks up my computer sometimes. Angry

resting with the Lord.
Bob

John 10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 04:00:47 AM »

The windows firewall that came with my computer has been sufficient along with the hardware protection that I have so I haven't gone searching for anything else in the firewall category.

Pastor Roger. I have read on numerous occasions that the windows firewall only stops one sort of traffic. I cannot recall if its outgoing traffic or incoming. But either way, if thats true, then you are seriously under protected. Of course its upto you but it may be worth just researching this and asking a few questions, to find out if this is correct.

I use zone alarm free firewall and found it very good and very reliable. I often test it and it passes every test that is thrown at it and not one port is able to be seen by probes that shields up send out.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 04:35:13 AM »

Hello Brother Joey,

I really think that you are right about the Windows Firewall not being enough.

The best test I can think of is exactly what you did: Go to the famous SHIELDS UP site and let it run the tests. Steve Gibson is a security guru, and he tells it like it is on all security software. He doesn't sell firewalls, so all you get is the blunt truth about the current security of your computer. The testing is completely FREE and it only takes a few minutes. AND, it does absolutely nothing to hurt your computer.

As you know, SHIELDS UP gives you a security report that lists every known way to wreck your computer. If SHIELDS UP gives you a STEALTH rating on all tests, your computer has the best firewall possible. If SHIELDS UP lists vulnerabilities, you can count on it that your computer is open for hackers and all sorts of other problems. I understand that some people are afraid to have their computer tested like this over the Internet. All I can say is that I trust SHIELDS UP completely, and I check my computer there on a regular basis. Steve Gibson has an excellent reputation as being completely honest. I would highly recommend SHIELDS UP to test a system any time that software is changed or a computer is upgraded, ESPECIALLY with firewall software.

I had a hard time choosing between the FREEWARE ZoneAlarm and the FREEWARE Sygate, especially because they both had top ratings for security. I opted for Sygate only because of the better logging functions.

I would also second your recommendation that everyone runs a firewall. There is just too many ways for folks to ruin your computer these days.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 23:2 NASB  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:43:39 AM »

Brother Tom. I absolutely agree with everything you say about Steve Gibsons site. I have been using Sheilds up for a number of years and cannot praise it enough. Thankfully, my firewall has always passed every test but i do keep testing it, just in case things change and a vulnerabilty is found on my computer. These hackers/virus writers are clever people (just a shame they cannot channel there energy into something more productive) so we need to always be checking our systems are up to date and protecting us.

Bro Roger. After i posted my reply earlier about the windows firewall, i did google it and found my fears were confirmed and windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic. So in effect, it is only doing half a job. Please brother, check it out and then see if you feel you need to do anything. I would hate to see your computer compromised.
John 3:16

My Heavenly Father Is Alive Today

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 09:30:14 PM »

i use Sygate Personal Firewall for over a year i thank its one of the BEST Free Firewalls Out There

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the