Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  President Bush's approval rating drops to 38%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: President Bush's approval rating drops to 38%  (Read 12672 times)
Florida_Catholic

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 11:38:59 PM »

OK, I'm not trying to make the case that the poll rating means that Bush is doing poorly.  I'm making the case that he's done so poorly that the poll rating is higher than it ought to be.  However, to get the facts straight, here's a list of reputable polls and where Bush's rating has fallen during his time in office.  They universally say that about 40% approve of the job he's doing . . . significantly less than the numbers you guys quoted.

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

Where did you get your numbers?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 12:15:03 AM »

Greetings in the manificent name of Jesus!

I don't know where you got your poll % from, but it fails to match any poll that I have checked FC.
Most that I have checked list the approval rate at around
80-85%.

I am not a dedicated political person period, so I will not enter into the Democ. \ Republican debate.

I do however feel that President Bush has been unjustly treated in the New Orleans situation.

There was a chain of command that was responsible for the people of N.O.

1)the mayor of N.O.
2)The state homeland security officer, who was a political appointee of the mayor
3)the govenor of N.O.
4)the national homeland security officer
5)the president

I have seen many fingers pointed at our national leader, who , by the way; ask the mayor and the govenor to evacuate the people 5 days before Katrina struck. The gov. and the mayor felt that there was no need for such "drastic measures"

Three days before Katrina struck Pres. Bush again asked for the people to be evacuated, and offered any assistance that they needed, up to and including use of the national guard.
Once again he was informed that such measures were not needed; yet there were fingers from these same people pointing at the president. I think that there does indeed need to be an investigation, but the subject needs to be pointed in a different direction.

As a closing statement let me remind you that the book of Romans tells us that a person in position of power over a people, such as the president, is there because G-d allows that person to be there. We are supposed to pray for them, not seek faults. We all have faults,including me, and including you. Do you want people to see faults in you, or do you prefer that they point out, and\or observe your good qualities?

respectfully yours in Yeshua:

ravenloche

Hello Brother Ravenloche,

I quoted your entire post because it was worth it. Our President and others could have stated the hurricane Katrina facts, but they were NICE and didn't. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that President Bush instructed others not to talk about gross incompetence during such a terrible time. But, that didn't prevent the opposition from pointing the finger in the other way.

There were obviously things that could have been done better at the Federal level. A lot of people don't know that the local and state authorities are in charge until they invite the Federal Government in. The President could have been more public and demanding, but that would have been very embarrassing for the local and state governments. So, he was a nice guy, even after being blamed for all kinds of things he had nothing to do with and had no control over. AND, he allowed the local and state officials to keep their dignity while he was being hammered for their incompetence.

Such is politics.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 34:9-10 NASB  O fear the LORD, you His saints; For to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 12:25:37 AM »

Well if the dummocrats have their way. they will hold Pres. Bush responsible. Even though at the local level, failed to start the evacuation. Most of the dummocrats fail to relize that, the local level has to declare a state of emercemy. Thats the way the indivivual states can keep independce from the US goverment.

I can't spell worth beans tonight. Sad
Bob

Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 12:28:35 AM »

Amen Ravenloche.

Brother Tom, that is the what the Military calls a true leader. It is the way in which they train their leaders to be. President Bush has my respect for him all the more.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 08:12:08 PM »

Who are these 38%?

I'm curious; who still thinks President Bush and the Republicans are doing a good job with the extremely unbalanced level of power they hold . . . leading all three branches of the government? Why do you not think that they're doing awful?
Bush is spending money at a very fast rate compared to previous Presidents. He has taken the deficit from black to red. The stock market is not what it was. Repossesion of homes is at an all time high. However he publicly acknowledges Christ.

Let's just look at this governments history . . . first major issue where we look to the Federal Govt: September 11th, 2001. Saddam Hussein and the Iraqis brutally attacked . . . wait I mean Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda brutally attacked us. We know that bringing this man to justice is a top priority - more than four years later Bin Laden is still at large. We realize that our disaster preparedness could be better; they made some changes - great, change is always good, except when it makes things worse like we saw in the response to Katrina.
The response of the fedeal government to respond to local disaster rests in the hands of the local governments timely asking for help. The state and city governments of Louisiana failed in this respect.  
The people of Louisiana and New Orleans need to vote these folks out of office..

So shortly after September 11th, the citizens of this great nation align themselves behind the President - giving him the opportunity to lead the country to greatness and accomplish much more than say Clinton did with a divided country and Congress.
Clinton's administration paid the National debt off. A task no president, republican or democrat, could accomplish before him since Truman. The stock market was such that many stocks earned a great amount of money for investors.

Of course this unity was squandered since today we're more divided than ever. He misled us into a war in Iraq - spending billions of dollars to destroy a country posing little threat to us and then billions more to try to rebuild and fight off terrorists that this action was effective in growing.
Before our war in Iraq The Al Qaeda did not have free access to Iraq. Now they do.

Also this and other irresponsible spending habits (unbalanced tax cuts for the wealthy), squandered a budget surplus to put us in unprecedented deficits. More recently he returned to the White House early from one of his many vacations to push for Teri Schiavo to have her feeding tube reinserted against her and her husband's will, but failed to take such quick or strong action to feed the suffering people of New Orleans after an awful disaster that he was warned about. Of course he was warned about several of his other failings before making those poor decisions as well.
President Bush was not quick to respond to 9/11 on 9/11 either. Wasn't he reading to children in a school in Florida at the time with a reaction that kept him reading to the children?

One of the few things he hasn't screwed up is developing a group of supporters, apparently 38%, who will defend him with greater fervor than they would the many innocent people of this world who have suffered unnecessarily due to his misjudgments.
It is unnerving to have such an unqualified nere do well not having an ability or mental capability to take hold and lead, leading America as a worldly leader should/would. However he does acknowledge Christ and calls for public prayer occasionally. He gives testamonial about his rakish days of yore and how he came to Jesus Christ and how it changed him. So we should pray for him as the Bible says we should pray for our leaders.

I believe Bush is basically a good man having come to Christ in later years, but just not the smartest or with the proper smarts it takes to lead a great nation of free people.

Pray for our government.

ollie

Support your local Christian.
Florida_Catholic

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »

It's case and point that you believe that local officials didn't declare a state of emergency and that Bush has been hesitant to blame local officials.  Once again you've fallen prey to this powerful political machine's propaganda.  Governor Blanco actually declared a state of emergency and requested troop assistance on Friday August 26th, well in advance of the hurricane - before it had even been upgraded to a Category 3.  Furthermore, on September 2nd, “Under the command of President Bush’s two senior political advisers, the White House rolled out a plan…to contain the political damage from the administration’s response to Hurricane Katrina.”  Karl Rove and President Bush systematically put into the minds of the public that the local officials were at fault - easy way to shift blame from him and take out some small time Democrats.  Very admirable.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 09:53:09 PM »

Karl Rove and President Bush systematically put into the minds of the public that the local officials were at fault

Huh Huh Huh Huh

I love the way people twist things around to take the blame away from the Democrats. After all Democrats never do anything wrong.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 10:44:28 PM »

Thursday, Aug. 25    

* Tropical Storm Katrina becomes a Category 1 hurricane and hits South Florida, killing about a dozen people and leaving 1.5 million homes without power.

Friday, Aug. 26    

* Katrina passes into the Gulf of Mexico and aims at Louisiana and Mississippi, becoming a Category 2 hurricane. Louisiana governor Katherine Blanco declares a state of emergency.

Saturday, Aug. 27    

* Katrina is upgraded to Category 3.
    * At Blanco's request, President Bush declares a federal state of emergency for Louisiana, and gives FEMA authority to provide aid.
    * Mayor Ray Nagin calls for a voluntary evacuation of New Orleans. The head of the National Hurricane Center, Max Mayfield, urges him to make the evacuation mandatory.

Sunday, Aug. 28    

* Katrina is declared a Category 5 storm, the highest rating. The National Weather Service issues a warning for New Orleans, warning that once the storm hits, "most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks... perhaps longer."
    * Nagin orders a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans.
    * Traffic out of New Orleans slows drastically, due to increased volume.
    * Buses, trains, and most airlines have stopped service to and from the area.
    * 10,000 residents take refuge in the Superdome, the largest of ten "shelters of last resort."
    * Bush declares a state of emergency for Mississippi and Alabama, and declares Florida a federal disaster area.

Monday, Aug. 29    

* 6 a.m.: Katrina, now a Category 4 hurricane, makes landfall on the Louisiana coast.
    * 11 a.m.: Katrina makes a second landfall near the Louisiana-Mississippi border as a Category 3 storm.
    * Levees in New Orleans are breached, flooding parts of the city. Power is lost.
    * Holes are ripped in the roof of the Superdome.
    * Dozens are reported dead in Mississippi.
    * Bush declares a major disaster in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, and declares that "I want the folks there on the Gulf Coast to know... When the storm passes, the federal government has got assets and resources that we'll be deploying to help you."
    * Blanco asks Bush for "everything you've got," without specifying what that means.
    * FEMA director Michael Brown asks Homeland Security secretary Michael Chertoff for 1,000 personnel, giving them two days to arrive, while urging out-of-town rescue departments to stay away unless asked to assist.
    * About 3,500 National Guard troops help New Orleans's 1,500 police officers with rescue operations.
    * Gulf Coast refineries shut down.
    * Terry Ebbert, New Orleans's director of homeland security, says that "Everybody who had a way or wanted to get out of the way of this storm was able to. For some that didn't, it was their last night on this earth."

Tuesday, Aug. 30    

* Attempts to plug a two-block-wide breach in a levee at the 17th Street Canal fail.
    * 80% of the city is flooded.
    * With a general lack of food and water, and with law enforcement occupied with rescue missions, looting becomes widespread.
    * As New Orleans fills up like a bowl, FEMA coordinator William Lokey says, "I don't want to alarm everybody that, you know, New Orleans is filling up like a bowl. That's just not happening."
    * Over 12,000 people are in the increasingly uninhabitable Superdome. "It’s imperative that we get them out," Blanco says. "The situation is degenerating rapidly."
    * There is no official death toll. Says Nagin, "Rescue workers are not even dealing with dead bodies. They're just pushing them to the side."
    * Chertoff designates Katrina an Incident of National Significance, and gives Brown authority to manage the crisis.
    * Bush ends his vacation early.

Wednesday, Aug. 31    

* Looting and violence in New Orleans intensifies.
    * In the Superdome, now holding over 20,000 with no working toilets, no air-conditioning, and insufficient food and water, there are reports of deaths and rapes.
    * Additional thousands are stranded in New Orleans, including 3,000 at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center without any food or drink, as Blanco and Nagin order a total evacuation.
    * Blanco asks Bush for 40,000 federal troops; military assistance had not been specified in her previous requests for aid.
    * The first buses leave the Superdome, carrying passengers to the Astrodome in Houston.
    * New Orleans police abandon search efforts to attempt to control the violence.
    * Chertoff declares that the Department of Homeland Security is "extremely pleased with the response that every element of the federal government, all of our federal partners, have made to this terrible tragedy."

Thursday, Sept. 1    

* Bush says on Good Morning America that "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."
    * In a radio interview, Chertoff dismisses reports of the thousands at the convention center.
    * In a later interview on Nightline, Brown says the federal government learned about the center that day. Ted Koppel asks, "Don't you guys watch television?"
    * State officials prevent the Red Cross from entering New Orleans with food and water, so as not to get in the way of military operations.
    * Nagin lashes out at the federal government's response: "Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city.... Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They're not here."
    * 7,400 National Guard troops help evacuate the Superdome.
    * FEMA has now rescued 350 people; the Coast Guard, 2,900.
    * The Department of Defense begins assembling active-duty troops.
    * Bush asks Congress for $10.5 billion in relief funds.

Friday, Sept. 2    

* The National Guard secures the Convention Center, and brings food and water.
    * Blanco issues an executive order, allowing out-of-state doctors not licensed in Louisiana to provide emergency treatment.
    * Bush flies to Alabama and praises Brown, saying "you're doing a heck of a job."
    * After walking through Biloxi, Miss., Bush calls the damage "worse than imaginable." He grants that "I am satisfied with the response. I am not satisfied with all the results."
    * Bush flies to New Orleans, surveys the damage, and speaks to Blanco and Nagin.
    * Sen. Landrieu, Gov. Blanco, and Mayor Nagin meet with Pres. Bush on Air Force One.
    * In a memorandum to Blanco, Bush proposes that she request that the local police and National Guard be put under federal control, to streamline the chain of command and unify operations.
    * The Coast Guard has rescued 4,000 people in New Orleans.
    * On NBC's Concert for Hurricane Relief fundraiser, singer Kanye West alleges that the slow federal response is due to racism, saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

Saturday, Sept. 3    

* Blanco refuses to give up control of the state's National Guard troops; 12,000 are now on active duty.
    * According to the military, 42,000 people have been evacuated from New Orleans.

Sunday, Sept. 4    

* The Superdome has been fully evacuated.

Monday, Sept. 5    

* The Coast Guard claims to have rescued more than 18,000 people.
    * Former presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton tour the Astrodome in Houston, as part of their fundraising efforts. Barbara Bush, the former president's wife and current president's mother, created a public relations furor when she commented that "so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this—this is working very well for them."

Tuesday, Sept. 6    

* Nagin orders a forced evacuation of New Orleans.

Thursday, Sept. 8    

* TIME Magazine reports that Brown's resume may have exaggerated his qualifications.

Friday, Sept. 9    

* Brown is removed from directing Katrina relief efforts, although he remains head of FEMA. He is replaced by Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, chief of staff of the Coast Guard.

Monday, Sept. 12    

* Brown resigns as director of FEMA. His temporary replacement is R. David Paulson, the head of FEMA's preparedness division.
    * Water levels in New Orleans drop considerably.

Tuesday, Sept. 13    

* "To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," says Bush.

It appears there is plenty of blame to go around with a whole lot of it laying in the hands of the LA Gov.

Florida_Catholic

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005, 11:59:24 AM »

I can agree with you there.  There certainly is plenty of blame to go around.  I am not trying to make the case that the local officials are bunch of geniuses that did everything they should have.  However, it is clear from even the timeline you put up that the local officials met the standard mentioned earlier "asking for help; state of emergency"  And that just like in the aftermath of September 11th, the different agencies did an awful job of interacting with each other.  These problems have not been fixed, in fact they've been made worse.

I saw that in one city the Canadians actually arrived with aid before our own government!  In another case, numerous volunteers were trying to go into New Orleans to help and they were stopped so that the govt could check out if they were terrorists.  Even the local emergency response folks had to deal with the Feds cutting off their communication lines and confiscating their relief resources.

There certainly is a lot of blame to go around and we need to vote out the incompetent people who set up these awful 'improvements'.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »

There certainly is a lot of blame to go around and we need to vote out the incompetent people who set up these awful 'improvements'.
Yes there is enough blame to pass around.

I can see quite a few dummocats being voted out, because of that. And at least one republican, in Lousiana
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 12:15:11 PM by DreamWeaver » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 06:15:02 PM »

From The Federalist Patriot:

SUBSCRIBE: FREE by E-mail! Get your own subscription to The Patriot!
http://FederalistPatriot.US/subscribe/

Emergency Management Protocol in Natural Disasters -- Individual and Local, State and Federal Government Responsibilities

Individual preparedness is the front line of national preparedness. As the political class debates "who dun what," in an effort to sort out mistakes after Hurricane Katrina (logging as many political points as possible), YOU better take responsibility for yourself and your family's welfare.

Civil Defense efforts since WWII ensured a significant level of preparedness at the local level. But Civil Defense preparedness waned at the end of the Vietnam era (the great malaise), and by the end of the Cold War, local, state and federal government agencies no longer pre-position large emergency-relief inventories.

So, at a time when the nation was becoming more dependent on centralized food, communication and energy distribution networks, particularly in fast-growing urban areas, local, state and federal government ready response inventories dwindled.

Though catastrophic events like Hurricane Andrew and the 9/11 attack on our nation a decade later sounded alarms about our lack of preparedness for such events, efforts to correct those deficiencies have largely focused on central government preparedness rather than preparedness at the local and state level, (local and state agencies in Florida being the exception).

It was for this reason that New Orleans' EMA plan called for all residents seeking shelter in the city to bring three days of provisions with them. They didn't -- most of those residents, unfortunately, expected "the government" to take care of them.

Government agencies, under ideal circumstances, will likely not be able to meet even minimal needs for days or possibly weeks. Depending on the nature of the catastrophe, the government must activate its resources (military primarily), and those of major relief agencies and thousands of contract providers, and surge response and recovery efforts to a level sufficient to meet emergency provision needs. (FederalistPatriot.US posts an excellent resource page "Recommended Action Plan" with all you need to know about emergency preparedness measures for yourself and your family -- link to

http://FederalistPatriot.US/useprpc/.)

Enter Hurricane Katrina

While Hurricane Katrina heavily impact coastal Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, the greatest number of people displaced by the Hurricane were from New Orleans. Thus, it is worth reviewing the failure of emergency management chain of command for NOLA.

1. The Mayor
   2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security (a political      appointee of the Governor who reports to the Governor)
   3. The Governor
   4. Department of Homeland Security
   5. The President

In other words, all responsibility for proactive preparedness and reactive response recovery begins at the local level. If response and recovery fails because of a lack of preparedness, then a crisis can become a catastrophe, as was the case in New Orleans, and every responding agency above the local government is tasked with cleanup.

The chain of command notwithstanding, individual preparedness accounts for why most residents of New Orleans evacuated and survived. A lack of individual preparedness is why some residents did not. The bottom line -- be prepared.

Link: Anatomy of a National Disaster -- The Consequential Timeline of Hurricane Katrina

(My Note:  The blame game continues and it is grossly misdirected. The vast majority of the blame rests on Louisiana officials, first the Mayor of New Orleans and second the Governor of Louisiana. Only the people of Louisiana have the power to replace the officials most responsible in the management of this catastrophe. Most specifically, I would say that the continued party-going attitude and actions of the New Orleans Mayor represented gross incompetence. The failure to issue timely orders, request assistance, and accept offered assistance rests on the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana. The problems with the Federal response pale in comparison to the local and state response.)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 06:17:17 PM »

The Consequential Timeline of Hurricane Katrina - Page 1

Anatomy of a National Disaster -- The Consequential Timeline of Hurricane Katrina

This timeline spans two weeks from 22 August (one week prior to landfall) to 5 September (one week after landfall) -- all times CDT.

(For an understanding of emergency management responsibilities -- who is responsible for what -- read "Emergency Management Protocol in Natural Disasters -- Individual and Local, State and Federal Government Responsibilities")

22 AUGUST -- MONDAY

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) tracks a storm in the Atlantic.

23 AUGUST -- TUESDAY

The NHC classifies a storm in the Caribbean "Bahamas Tropical Depression 12."

24 AUGUST -- WEDNESDAY

The NHC continues to track the storm and issues warnings for South Florida. The storm system is upgraded to Tropical Storm Katrina.

25 AUGUST -- THURSDAY

1600: Katrina officially becomes a Category 1 hurricane (fourth of the season), according to the NHC. 1830: Moving across south Florida, Katrina causes 11 deaths and kills power to more than 1.2 million people. 2300: Despite being over land for more than four hours, Katrina's maximum sustained winds are still being clocked at 75 mph as it moves into the Gulf.

26 AUGUST -- FRIDAY

0500: After weakening briefly to a tropical storm, Katrina regains hurricane status and moves on to the Gulf of Mexico.

1130: The hurricane is upgraded to Category 2, with the storm's feeder bands continuing to pound the lower Florida Keys.

1600: NHC warns that Katrina is expected to reach dangerous Category 4 intensity before making landfall in Mississippi or Louisiana.

2030: In anticipation of a possible landfall, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco declare states of emergency. On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the NHC took the unprecedented action of calling NOLA Mayor Ray Nagin and Gov. Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of New Orleans and they said they'd take it under consideration. This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was destroyed. (My Note: This pleading was ignored.)

Local, state, and federal disaster officials meet to discuss FEMA Disaster Declaration No. 1601 that was issued as a result of tropical storm Cindy in July. "Shouldn't we just apply for Katrina money now? It would save time and taxpayers' money," joked Jim Baker, operations superintendent for the East Jefferson Levee District, one of the public agencies in line for a FEMA check.

===========================See Page 2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 06:18:48 PM »

The Consequential Timeline of Hurricane Katrina - Page 2

The Mississippi Valley Division of the Army Corps of Engineers activates teams along the Mississippi and Louisiana Gulf Coasts to prepare for a potential response to Hurricane Katrina.

27 AUGUST -- SATURDAY

0500: Katrina is upgraded to Category 3, a major hurricane, with the Gulf Coast in its path.

Nagin calls for a voluntary evacuation of the city. The emergency plans rely on citizens to bring their own 3-day supply of food and water to the Superdome and Convention Center. Current Louisiana Emergency Evacuation guidelines allow use of public school buses. They were used to transport the elderly and those without transportation to the superdome. Highways leading out of New Orleans are filled with bumper-to-bumper traffic. Several major interstates are converted to one-way routes away from the city.

NHC Director Max Mayfield and President Bush call on Mayor Nagin to declare a mandatory evacuation. (My Note: These requests were ignored.)

Governor Blanco requests that President Bush declare a major disaster for the State of Louisiana. President Bush declares a Federal state of emergency in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. The emergency declaration provides for federal assistance and funding and assigns to FEMA, by law, the responsibility for coordinating relief efforts. (For an understanding of emergency management responsibilities -- who is responsible for what -- read "Emergency Management Protocol in Natural Disasters -- Individual and Local, State and Federal Government Responsibilities")

1700: Mayor Nagin issues a voluntary evacuation order. Nagin says late Saturday that he is having his legal staff look into whether he can order a mandatory evacuation of the city, a step he's been hesitant to take because of potential liability on the part of the city for closing hotels and other businesses. "Come the first break of light in the morning, you may have the first mandatory evacuation of New Orleans," Nagin said.

Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco hold a press conference and the Mayor urges residents to take the storm seriously saying to residents of low lying areas, "We want you to take this a little more seriously and start moving -- right now, as a matter of fact," Nagin said he would open the Superdome as a shelter of "last resort" for people with "special needs." If seeking shelter at the Superdome, Nagin said, "No weapons, no large items, and bring small quantities of food for three or four days, to be safe," he said.

During the day, residents of Louisiana's low-lying areas are told they must evacuate; residents in other low-lying areas are urgently advised to do so. President Bush again declares a state of emergency in Louisiana.

"This is not a test, as your governor said earlier today. This is the real thing," said NHC Director Max Mayfield. "The bottom line is this is a worst-case scenario and everybody needs to recognize it," he said.

2300: NHC issues a hurricane warning from Morgan City, Louisiana, to the Alabama-Florida border, an area that includes New Orleans. A warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. National Hurricane Center warns officials that Katrina is strengthening and will probably make landfall as a Category 4 or 5.

========================See Page 3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 06:20:24 PM »

The Consequential Timeline of Hurricane Katrina - Page 3

28 AUGUST -- SUNDAY

0040: Katrina escalates to Category 4 strength, heading for the Gulf Coast. The last time Mississippi or Louisiana saw landfall from a Category 4 or stronger storm was 1969 with Hurricane Camille.

0700: Hurricane Katrina intensifies to Category 5, the worst and highest category on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

0800: Superdome opens for shelter.

FEMA Director Michael Brown, DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff as well as local and state officials are informed by NHC Director Max Mayfield via electronic briefing that the storm will cause massive damage and flooding -- including levee breaches -- in New Orleans 32 hours before the eye of the storm makes landfall. Mayfield briefs the President later in the day via video conference.

0930: The Mayor's office announces at 9:30 AM that RTA (Regional Transit Authority) busses will pick people up at 12 locations throughout the city and take them to shelters -- including the Superdome. This is in accordance with both the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan for the city of New Orleans and The State of Louisiana Emergency Operations Plan Supplement 1B, which clearly states that people who cannot be evacuated will be taken to "last resort" shelters such as the Superdome.

1000: As Katrina reaches 175 mph winds, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin orders mandatory evacuations as the storm seems to beat a direct path to the city. Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding. "We are facing a storm that most of us have long feared," Nagin said. "This is a once in a lifetime event. The city of New Orleans has never seen a hurricane of this magnitude hit it directly."

1100: The city puts its contraflow traffic system in effect so that both sides of major highways will allow for traffic out of the city.

1130: President Bush issues statement about hurricane danger.

During the day, President Bush declares a state of emergency in Mississippi and orders federal assistance. NHS says low-lying areas along the Gulf Coast could expect storm surges of up to 25 feet as the storm, with top sustained winds of 160 mph to hit early the next day.

1500: More than 10,000 people had either made their way into the Superdome or were standing outside. Those with medical problems were shuffled over to one side of the dome. "The people arriving on this side of the building are expected to fend for themselves," said Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security director. "We have some water." "I'm not worried about what is tolerable or intolerable," he [Ebbert] said. "I'm worried about, whether you are alive on Tuesday." About 150 National Guard soldiers, New Orleans police and civil sheriff's deputies patrol the facility. Some weapons are confiscated.

1800: Louisiana Senators send a joint letter to the President thanking him for his actions and requesting that he visit the storm ravaged area "as soon as practical."

2000: About 26,000 people are taking refuge in the Superdome. To help keep them fed and hydrated, the Louisiana National Guard delivered three truckloads of water and seven truckloads of MREs -- short for "meals ready to eat." That's enough to supply 15,000 people for three days, according to Col. Jay Mayeaux, deputy director of the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Emergency Preparedness.

===================See Page 4

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »

The Consequential Timeline of Hurricane Katrina - Page 4

2200: Katrina advisory by the National Hurricane Center has the storm moving slightly to the east of New Orleans and weakening. Louis Armstrong Airport closes.

29 AUGUST -- MONDAY

0400: Hurricane Katrina is downgraded to a strong Category 4 storm. More than 4,000 National Guardsmen are mobilizing in Memphis to help police New Orleans streets.

"Aircraft are positioned from Hammond to the Texas border ready to fly behind the storm to check damage after it passes over New Orleans," said Maj. Gen. Bennett C. Landreneau, head of the Louisiana National Guard. "Search and rescue operations are being coordinated by the Guard with the state Wildlife and Fisheries Department and Coast Guard poised to help search for survivors stranded by the storm. Guardsmen are also deployed at the Jackson Barracks ready to head into the city using high-water vehicles," Landreneau said.

0610: Katrina makes second landfall near Grand Isle, Louisiana as a Category 4 Hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 145 mph.

0800: NOLA residents show signs of relief after worst of hurricane passes, but waters are rising on the levees. Six to eight feet of water in the Lower Ninth Ward and two hours later, ten feet of water in St. Bernard levee.

1100: Katrina makes another landfall near the Louisiana-Mississippi state line with 125 mph winds. The storm's daylong rampage claims lives and ravages property in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, where coastal areas are under several feet of water.

FEMA Director Brown sends a memo to DHS Secretary Chertoff requesting the additional 1,000 FEMA employees engaged in victims assistance (aiding residents in filling out disaster relief forms) and community outreach be dispatched to Louisiana. Brown indicates that the employees have two days to report to LA Homeland Security headquarters.

1300: Two major flood-control levees are breached and the National Weather Service reports "total structural failure" in parts of New Orleans. Many are feared dead in flooded neighborhoods under as much as 20 feet of water.

1400: New Orleans officials publicly confirm 17th Street Canal breach.

1500: New Orleans Homeland Security Director Terry Ebbertt says, "Everybody who had a way or wanted to get out of the way of this storm was able to."

President Bush declares a major disaster for Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour describes "catastrophic damage" along the coast. More than 1.3 million homes and businesses in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama were without electricity, according to utility companies. Dozens now dead.

Red Cross issues a statement. Expects largest recovery operation ever: American Red Cross spokesman Victor Howell said 750 to 1,000 Red Cross personnel are now at work on hurricane recovery in Louisiana, and 2,000 more volunteers will be here in the next few days. The Red Cross will bring in three large mobile kitchens to prepare 500,000 meals per day. There are 40 shelters statewide, housing about 32,000 people, "and you're going to have more," Howell said.

"FEMA said give us a list of your needs," said Nagin, referring to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. "And let me tell you, we're giving them a hell of a list."

2200: More than 12 hours after making landfall, one of the most powerful hurricanes to hit the northern Gulf Coast in half a century is downgraded to a tropical storm. Remnants head north toward Tennessee and the Ohio River Valley, spurring harsh storms and tornadoes.

Eighty percent of New Orleans is underwater.

====================See Page 5

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the