Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Suviviors of Katrina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suviviors of Katrina  (Read 1318 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2005, 04:05:13 AM »

Brothers, and sisters,

I am asking that everyone pray, for the suviviors of hurricane Katrina. I'm a little suprised no one has posted a prayer for them (besides in threads). I ask, each one of you add a little prayer, to this thread.

My own prayer for them is;

Lord, as this terrible storm passed through Louisiana, and New Orleans. I pray that you will comfort those still suffering. Lord, please provide them with safe shelter that will protect them. Lord. Please show them mercy and fill their hearts with the peace that passes understanding. Send Your workers to them, Lord, and provide for their physical needs, as well as their spiritual needs. Help them, Lord, to turn to you for strength. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen

AJ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 04:20:32 AM »

Amen brother: I am praying and believeing that the lord will work all things together for good to the righteous, and cause the unbeliever to seek him as well.

In Jesus name Amen.  

Butterflies

Jesus is Lord of all!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:05:58 AM »

Father God, comfort those who need comforted.  May the Christians there be bold in their witness as they minister to others' needs.  Protect that area.  We claim it for you, Jesus.  Show your love and compassion through your people.

May those in need realize that they need a Savior.

In the name of Jesus, Amen

...all things were created by Him and for Him...Col. 1:16
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »

Dear saints keep praying for these people...

NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 4:58 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - Fights and fires broke out, corpses lay out in the open, and rescue helicopters and law enforcement officers were shot at as flood-stricken New Orleans slipped toward anarchy Thursday.

“This is a desperate SOS,” the mayor said.

While a mass evacuation got under way at the city's Superdome, where thousands of restless people were waiting for help, there was desperation and mounting anger at a separate refuge, the city's convention center, where storm victims grew increasingly hungry and thirsty and pleaded for relief.

Officials said thousands more National Guardsmen were being sent to the city, and Congress planned a special session Thursday night to approve emergency aid. But across the city, residents complained that aid was not arriving and a local official blamed the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

“This is a national disgrace,” said Terry Ebbert, head of New Orleans’ emergency operations. “FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control,” Ebbert said. “We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims but we can’t bail out the city of New Orleans."

"We have got a mayor who has been pushing and asking but we’re not getting supplies,” he said. He said the evacuation was almost entirely a Louisiana operation. “This is not a FEMA operation. I haven’t seen a single FEMA guy.”

Mayor Ray Nagin, in issuing his dire plea in a statement to CNN, said: “Right now we are out of resources at the convention center and don’t anticipate enough buses. Currently the convention center is unsanitary and unsafe and we are running out of supplies for 15,000 to 25,000 people.”

Dead bodies outside center
Outside the center, people complained that they were evacuated, taken to the convention hall by bus, dropped off and given nothing.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside, and hungry people broke through the steel doors to a food service entrance and began pushing out pallets of water and juice and whatever else they could find.

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered with a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet.

“I don’t treat my dog like that,” Daniel Edwards said as he pointed at the woman in the wheelchair. “I buried my dog.”

“You can do everything for other countries but you can’t do nothing for your own people," he said. "You can go overseas with the military but you can’t get them down here.”

The street outside the center, above the floodwaters, smelled of urine and feces, and was choked with dirty diapers, old bottles and garbage.

“We are out here like pure animals. We don’t have help,” said the Rev. Isaac Clark, 68.

People there, some holding crying babies or elderly barely able to stand up, shouted for help as TV news crews passed by.

A sea of pain

On the front steps of the convention center, one woman, screaming, led the crowd in reciting the 23rd Psalm.

John Murray, 52, said: “It’s like they’re punishing us.”

The Superdome, where some 25,000 people were being evacuated by bus to the Houston Astrodome, descended into chaos as well.

Huge crowds, hoping to finally escape the stifling confines of the stadium, jammed the main concourse outside the dome, spilling out over the ramp to the Hyatt hotel next door — a seething sea of tense, unhappy, people packed shoulder-to-shoulder up to the barricades where heavily armed National Guard troops stood.

At the front of the line, heavily armed policemen and guardsmen stood watch and handed out water as tense and exhausted crowds struggled onto buses. At the back end of the line, people jammed against police barricades in the rain. Luggage, bags of clothes, pillows, blankets were strewn in the puddles.

Many people had dogs and they cannot take them on the bus. A police officer took one from a little boy, who cried until he vomited. “Snowball, snowball,” he cried. The policeman told a reporter he didn’t know what would happen to the dog.

Other parts of the city saw similar desperation. “We need help,” Polly Boudreaux, clerk of the St. Bernard Parish Council, told WAFB-TV in a phone interview in which she broke down crying.

“We're just been absolutely devastated,” she said, and many residents still need to be rescued.

Little outside aid has reached the parish, she added. “We are not seeing it.”

Doctors at two desperately crippled hospitals with 360 patients called The Associated Press pleading for rescue, saying they were nearly out of food and power and had been forced to move patients to higher floors to escape looters.

“We have been trying to call the mayor’s office, we have been trying to call the governor’s office. ... We have tried to use any inside pressure we can. We are turning to you. Please help us,” said Dr. Norman McSwain, chief of trauma surgery at Charity Hospital.

Mob fears, gunshots
While most stranded residents were orderly, police warned reporters to be careful given the desperation.

“We were told don't drink or eat in public as it could lead to a mob situation,” NBC's Michelle Hofland said. “We were told that by sundown to get out of here.”

Federal rescue workers were pulled back from some areas of the city where gunfire was heard or reported, a Department of Homeland Security official told NBC News.

“Hospitals are trying to evacuate,” said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. “At every one of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are shooting at them. There are people just taking potshots at police and at helicopters, telling them, “You better come get my family.”

Police Capt. Ernie Demmo said a National Guard military policeman was shot in the leg as the two scuffled for the MP’s rifle. The man was arrested.

“These are good people. These are just scared people,” Demmo said.

God bless
thomasb40

love meeting new friends

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »

mostdefineatly i have been praying for hem

making a difference in others lives for christ.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 02:37:16 PM »

. Many people had dogs and they cannot take them on the bus. A police officer took one from a little boy, who cried until he vomited. “Snowball, snowball,” he cried. The policeman told a reporter he didn’t know what would happen to the dog.
Huh  Cry

I also heard a radio report of a man shooting and killing his sister over a bag of ice...

I have friends who moved down to Mississippi about two months ago...they sent letters about how beautiful everything was and how well they were adjusting...they knew a storm was coming but they thought it might miss them; instead the eye of the hurricane passed right over them and buried their house in 25 feet of water...they are safe, though, and their horses, whom they thought had been drowned, have been reported alive (although they haven't been able to see them yet)...otherwise, they have lost nearly everything, like so many other families.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly;
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is nigh...

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
bettyboop

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »

We have been praying for them,since the news that the hurricane may hit.It has bothered me terribly while watching the news about the continued suffering.It makes me feel bad that I can only do so much for them.I help them the best I can,and am comforted by what my fellow texas have been doing for them.We have 700 evacuees where I live.They have been given shelter and food,which is a big undertaking for a town of 3,000 people.I don't want to bury my head in the sand,but sometimes I feel like prayer isn't enough.I do believe that money slated for foreign countries should be kept in the U.S. for now.Those refugees are going to need help for quite awhile.I am praying for everyone.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 06:35:43 PM »

There are many refugees (evacuees?) coming here to West Michigan as well, not far from me.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
RachelRH

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 11:24:07 PM »

Dear Heavenly Father---

Please be with your people that have been affected by Katrina. Please have mercy upon them, Father, and pour out your love and grace like You never have before.

Heal the hearts of the mothers and fathers who have lost their babies, the brothers and sisters who lost their family members, parents who have watched their children die, or missing.

Turn off the blaming games that have been happening, Lord, and let us focus on helping, instead of blaming people for their lack of readiness. It does not matter Lord, what matters is that these people reach out to you, and you take their hand, and you give them peace and comfort.

Please give the strength to the rescue teams and the military groups, the Red Cross and all other workers that are helping, Lord. Give them strength, as they witness the dead laying in the streets. Comfort them, Lord, and help them to keep going.

I pray for relocation, Lord, for all those homeless people. Wherever this may be, Lord, I pray that they will find a home like environment soon, and can settle down and have peace again. And, in the midst of this, that they can already have peace in their hearts, because they are trusting you.

I pray for Pres. Bush, Lord, that he will make the right decisions and do the right things for his people. Set aside any controversies he has in his mind about helping, that may come from other people he works closely with. Help him to focus on this heartbreaking crisis, and make incredible things happen for these people.

In Jesus Name,
Rachel
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 11:37:44 PM »

Amen Sister Rachel.

We will all need to be praying for months to come.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 15:5-7 NASB  Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.

AJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 02:43:44 AM »

Praise God: brothers sisters

When we pray let us ask with faith, prayer without faith is also dead.

Jam 1:6  But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jam 1:7  For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord.
Jam 1:8  A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

It is easier to pray, than to believe...as saints we must believe in our prayers. Only God is more powerful than a faithful prayer of a righteous man. The word says our faith is in God, not men. Its the lord who moves on the hearts of others to do his will... both the believer, and the unbeliever.

God bless all
DovesWings

Where will you spend eternity? smoking or Non?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 09:28:11 PM »

Amen to all...
I have been praying and will continue to pray for all those affected by Katrina...

God bless...

"For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says Do not fear, I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

In the dark?  Follow the Son!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the