Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  anointing oil for spiritual purpose
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: anointing oil for spiritual purpose  (Read 6415 times)
naomiball

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2003, 06:54:39 PM »

What about anointing with oil? It was a common practice in Bible times to anoint with aromatic oils for spiritual purposes. Why don't we do that now?

The book of James (v.5:14-15) It says "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him."

Did they use the Holy Anointing oil as given in Exodus 30 with myrrh, cinnamon, cane (or calamus), cassia, and olive oil? It was reserved for the priest. Were the early church elders concidered equal with priests?

Any thoughts?

Naomi

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 11:05:09 PM »

A lot of pastors and priests of many denominations still do this and they have the oil, but not many ask for it. I've been anointed with oil by a couple of people for a malady I had when I was young. God healed me, but He used a scalpel to do it in that particular instance. Other times he just healed me.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 12:05:46 AM »

What about anointing with oil? It was a common practice in Bible times to anoint with aromatic oils for spiritual purposes. Why don't we do that now?

The book of James (v.5:14-15) It says "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him."

Did they use the Holy Anointing oil as given in Exodus 30 with myrrh, cinnamon, cane (or calamus), cassia, and olive oil? It was reserved for the priest. Were the early church elders concidered equal with priests?

Any thoughts?

Naomi

Naomi,

The problem with the oil, as viewed today, is the same with water, or any thing else, which is abused.

The Bible never calls oil; "Holy" oil, yet  a certain denomination calls them both "Holy" because a priest has prayed over it and blessed it, yet there is no such teaching for the NT chuch, everything which was established under the ordinances of the OT, has been abolished in the NT.

Men teach things as though God established it, but this is the error.

So, according to the NT, any run of the mill oil, can be used, since it says nothing about any speacial "Holy" oil.

Blessings,

Petro

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 01:00:08 AM »

Of course if you use the OT recipe for the oil you certainly will smell nummy.  mmmm  Cheesy

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 03:00:12 AM »

The Bible never calls oil; "Holy" oil, yet  a certain denomination calls them both "Holy" because a priest has prayed over it and blessed it, yet there is no such teaching for the NT chuch, everything which was established under the ordinances of the OT, has been abolished in the NT.

I don't see what your problem is here.  We call it Holy, because it has been prayed over and set aside for God.

(From Oxford Dictionary)
holy  adj
2  belonging to or devoted to God

So, according to the NT, any run of the mill oil, can be used, since it says nothing about any speacial "Holy" oil.
I presume you would use this prayerfully.  If you also set aside that oil for that use, then you are declaring it holy, even if you don't care to use the word.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 04:32:57 AM »

Of course if you use the OT recipe for the oil you certainly will smell nummy.  mmmm  Cheesy

I use 10W30  Grin

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 06:28:28 PM »

I don't see what your problem is here.  We call it Holy, because it has been prayed over and set aside for God.

(From Oxford Dictionary)
holy  adj
2  belonging to or devoted to God

I presume you would use this prayerfully.  If you also set aside that oil for that use, then you are declaring it holy, even if you don't care to use the word.

Well of course, you just defined what I meant by what I posted, praying over the oil does not make it holy ,at all, and there is no where in the Word of God, that anyone is instructed to pray over the oil, but over the person on whom the oil is being applied to.

The definition of "holy" in the vernacular dictionary, doesn't mean anything.

Holyness originates with God, and He defines what is Holy, so just because man decides to set a thing aside for the use in his wiorship ceremonies, does not make it holy.

For instance using water, which is called holy to sprinkle over animals as though to bless them of God, doesn't accomplish anything, except in the minds of them who practice such things, and neither is the water holy, as though it has some power to accomplish somehting.

It is vain, to even imagine this.

Bro Love,

WD40, smells OK..

Blessings,

Petro

naomiball

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 12:03:43 AM »

Ok, so in the OT book of Exodus where God is setting up the tabernacle and the priesthood with all the rules and regulations He gives a recipe for an anointing oil. HE said "...it shall be a holy anointing oil." verse 30:25

So at lest there used to be a Holy Anointing Oil. No one else was allowed to use this recipe, btw.

Jesus sent his disciples out into the country to preach. In Mark 6:13 it says they "were anointing many sick people and healing them."

It also says that they were given power over unclean spirits. In those days they did not know that there were bacteria and viruses. They believed all illness was from unclean spirits. So I believe Jesus gave them the power to cask out demons and to heal illnesses.

So why anoint with oil!

Petro, you were talking of holy water and how it has no power to accomplish anything. Oil is different, especially the aromatic oils used in Bible times. Modern science is proving that these oils do have amazing healing capabilities and are very affective in fighting off bacteria and viruses.

It make sense. Just think about how incredibly unsanitary it must have been in the temple/tabernacle, in the summer time where they were slaughtering animal after animal. How were they to keep from getting sick? The aromatic oils that they used to anoint all the funtiture and utinsels, and the priests are very strong against germs.

But what about now, in the New Testemant Church? Shouldn't we still be anointing the sick?

Naomi

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 02:46:45 AM »

Words mean whatever people use them to mean - that's the nature of language; there is no inherent meaning in any  word.  The word "holy" is part of the English language - it didn't spring magically out of the bible.   The fact that it might mean something different to you than it does to someone of a different Christian Tradition indicates that (lacking a universally accepted Christian Dictionary), the best place to go to find the commonly accepted meaning given to a word may well be a standard dictionary.

Well of course, you just defined what I meant by what I posted, praying over the oil does not make it holy ,at all, and there is no where in the Word of God, that anyone is instructed to pray over the oil, but over the person on whom the oil is being applied to.
I wasn't clear.  It is the setting aside that "makes" it holy, not the praying.  Makes is the wrong word, though - the sentence is the wrong way around - holy, in this sense, is (just) something that has been set aside for God.  As part of that setting aside we ask God to bless its use, guide the users, etc (nothing wrong with that, presumably).

It make sense. Just think about how incredibly unsanitary it must have been in the temple/tabernacle, in the summer time where they were slaughtering animal after animal. How were they to keep from getting sick? The aromatic oils that they used to anoint all the funtiture and utinsels, and the priests are very strong against germs.
 To the best of my knowledge, it is more resins that are strongly antiseptic/anti-bacterial, such as Frankincense and Myrrh.

For instance using water, which is called holy to sprinkle over animals as though to bless them of God, doesn't accomplish anything, except in the minds of them who practice such things, and neither is the water holy, as though it has some power to accomplish somehting.
I'm sorry you don't believe in the power of prayer.  That must be very sad for you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 03:00:00 AM by ebia » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 10:38:54 AM »

Words mean whatever people use them to mean - that's the nature of language; there is no inherent meaning in any  word.  The word "holy" is part of the English language - it didn't spring magically out of the bible.   The fact that it might mean something different to you than it does to someone of a different Christian Tradition indicates that (lacking a universally accepted Christian Dictionary), the best place to go to find the commonly accepted meaning given to a word may well be a standard dictionary.

I wasn't clear.  It is the setting aside that "makes" it holy, not the praying.  Makes is the wrong word, though - the sentence is the wrong way around - holy, in this sense, is (just) something that has been set aside for God.  As part of that setting aside we ask God to bless its use, guide the users, etc (nothing wrong with that, presumably).

To the best of my knowledge, it is more resins that are strongly antiseptic/anti-bacterial, such as Frankincense and Myrrh.

I'm sorry you don't believe in the power of prayer.  That must be very sad for you.

ebia,

Sorry but, Praying over inanimate objects do not make them Holy, whether it is water, oil, incense, and whatever else catches your fancy.

What make things Holy is when God makes them Holy.

The thought of having such power, is a receipt for deception and corruption, next thing you know, you can change bread and wine into blood and flesh, and once you believe you can do this, next step is to make a sacrifice with these.

Hey now you can start your own church, and make yourself pope..

What one man perceives something as holy, because he performed some chant or motions or prayed a certain preayer over it,  to another, it is nothing.  

Petro

naomiball

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 11:53:34 AM »

OK, guys, open your Bible and read Exodus 30:27-38.

God is talking. He gave the recipe, HE called it holy, consecrated, set-apart, or what ever your definition of 'holy' is, for spiritual purpose.

He WAS trying to start something. Smiley

And yes the oils of frankincense and myrrh, along with cinnamon and cassia and a BUNCH of others have strength over bacteria and virus. Which is what they used 'here' because they were to "pour" it over the furniture.

So this is part of the old covenant, do we just throw it out?

What about Mark 6:7-13 and James 5:14-16? Go read them then lets talk. Smiley

Naomi
Smiley
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 08:00:45 PM »

Lets see;  

Ex 30
27  And the table and all his vessels, and the candlestick and his vessels, and the altar of incense,
28  And the altar of burnt offering with all his vessels, and the laver and his foot.
29  And thou shalt sanctify them, that they may be most holy: whatsoever toucheth them shall be holy.
30  And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office.

31  And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, This shall be an holy anointing oil unto me throughout your generations.
32  Upon man's flesh shall it not be poured, neither shall ye make any other like it, after the composition of it: it is holy, and it shall be holy unto you.
33  Whosoever compoundeth any like it, or whosoever putteth any of it upon a stranger, shall even be cut off from his people.
34  And the LORD said unto Moses, Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense: of each shall there be a like weight:
35  And thou shalt make it a perfume, a confection after the art of the apothecary, tempered together, pure and holy:
36  And thou shalt beat some of it very small, and put of it before the testimony in the tabernacle of the congregation, where I will meet with thee: it shall be unto you most holy.
37  And as for the perfume which thou shalt make, ye shall not make to yourselves according to the composition thereof: it shall be unto thee holy for the LORD.
38  Whosoever shall make like unto that, to smell thereto, shall even be cut off from his people.

No need to go any further; than the first three verses of the text you refer to.

This passage of scripture specifically refers to the priesthood of Aaron, and the oil spoken of herein, is for consercration to them that they might minister to God, under the old Levitical preisthood.

We of the NT are not under that system of worship, it has been abolished in Christ Jesus, who is our high priest after the order of Melchesidek, see Heb  chapters 5, & 7.

Your attention is invited to Heb 8:1-28..read the first three verses very carefully........

God Bless,
Petro
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 08:02:58 PM by Petro » Logged

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 09:41:10 PM »

Your attention is invited to Heb 8:1-28..read the first three verses very carefully........
I take it that was a typo: there are only 13 verses in Hebrews 8.

Anyway, this chapter talks a lot about the old worship being "a shadow or sketch of the heavenly one",  that the new ministry is "better", etc.
This carries a heaving implication that, although the old ministry was imperfect, it countained much that was right and valuable.  It certainly does not say "throw it all away - even the best bits".

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 01:27:52 AM »

I take it that was a typo: there are only 13 verses in Hebrews 8.

Anyway, this chapter talks a lot about the old worship being "a shadow or sketch of the heavenly one",  that the new ministry is "better", etc.
This carries a heaving implication that, although the old ministry was imperfect, it countained much that was right and valuable.  It certainly does not say "throw it all away - even the best bits".

ebia,

Heb 8:1-13 9:1-18, is what I meant to type, herein.

Please pay particular to verse 5, of Heb 8.

What does the word "shadow" mean to you??

Hint;.............. it is not the real thing.

Everything in Ex 30, is a shadow of the real thing, the real things are the heavenly things, and everything in Ex 30, was under the OT, which was abolished, with the coming of the NT.

You might want to read Chapter 10, also.

Petro
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 01:30:51 AM by Petro » Logged

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 04:33:02 AM »

ebia,

Heb 8:1-13 9:1-18, is what I meant to type, herein.
Ok.  I guessed the 8:1-13.  I didn't guess the part from Ch 9.

A shadow is not the real think, clearly.  But it is an impression of the real thing - projected into two dimensions.
So while it is hugely lacking, it isn't actually wrong, just a very imperfect vision that contains something of the original of which it is a shadow.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the