Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286802 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "He descends to hell"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "He descends to hell"  (Read 3366 times)
WalterRomans10:13

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2005, 07:45:12 PM »

I have been studing the Apostles' Creed, and I want to know what other people thought about the verses that talk about Jesus's descent into hell?  Do you believe this is true, or do you think it has a deeper meaning?  My conclusion to this is that it does mean He went to hell.  Hence, He had to suffer the full price for our sins.  The full price would be us burning in hell forever.  The second note I would like to make is that in the apostls's creed, it says he desended into hell, and ascended to heaven.  If he ascended to heaven, that it would be silly for people to fight the notion that he didn't descend to hell.  They go together.  I just don't know why the catholic church decided to change doctrine around to fit thier needs, but I will save catholic doctrine for another thread.  Just wondering what you think?  I was never taught this before, and when I came upon it, it wowed me, it gave me a whole new love for Jesus Christ, it hits me harder knowing that he paid the price of actually being in hell for us.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 12:36:10 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »

Let me ask you this.  When Jesus was on the cross, He commended or gave His Spirit to His Father.  What part of Jesus would have descended into hell?

My second question would be - what is meant by the word "hell" in the Bible that refers to Jesus going to hell?

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

My third question is - when did Jesus say He would go to hell after His death?

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
WalterRomans10:13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 04:55:25 PM »

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

You just showed me verses that say his soul would not be left in hell or curropted by what He see.  Not once did you show me anything that says he did not descend, you showed me things that said He did, but was not left there.  I just think what you showed me says He did not sin in flesh, and that he would not stay in hell for paying for our sins.  Also before Jesus dies\d there were 2 parts of Hell.  Abraham's bossom and then Hell.....

Walter

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »

There are four words in the Scriptures which are applied to "hell" as we usually define it:  hell, sheol, hades, and gehenna.  If you do a word study, there are some differences that can be identified.  Genhenna would be the fire and brimstone concept or what we call "hell" today.

However; "hell" in reference to Jesus death does not mean He went to the place of damnation and fire.  The word, "hell"/sheol/hades,  used in the verses quoted - in the Hebrew and the Greek refer to grave or place of the dead.

As I asked in my other post - if Jesus went to "hell" or Gehenna, what part of Him would that be?  He had commended His Spirit to His Father.  It was His body that lay in the grave.

Where does it say in the Word that He descended into hell when He died?

The only verse I can find is this one:

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

But that is not referring to "hell" as in Gehenna, but His descent as God manifest in the flesh. [see Phil 2 & 1 Tim 3:16]

Also, I think it's important to note that in Col 2, Jesus completed the Sacrifice on the cross, there was no reason for Him to go to the place of damnation.

Col 2:13 ¶ And you, being dead in the deviations and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all the deviations,
14 blotting out the handwriting in the ordinances against us, which was contrary to us, even He has taken it out of the midst, nailing it to the cross;
15 having stripped the rulers and the authorities, He made a show of them in public, triumphing over them in it.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 06:05:23 PM by MalkyEL » Logged

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
quadding101

the gospel of John 1:12 (KJV or NKJV)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:07:35 PM »

At one time hell was divided, one part of it was the place of torment (hell). The other part of it was called Abraham's bosom, the place where saints of old went to await the coming of Jesus. Jesus went into this place called Abraham's bosom and preached Himself to the saints of old because they had to accept Jesus also. When Jesus ascended (He was the first fruits), then all the saints of old went to heaven. There was no more reason for the place called Abraham's bosom so it all became hell (the place of torment). (hell hath enlarged itself) I hope this helps u
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:09:59 PM by quadding101 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the