Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  When Did Jesus Know?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Did Jesus Know?  (Read 1227 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:45:31 AM »

When Did Jesus Know?
When did Jesus know He is God?  When Jesus was a suckling at Mary’s breast – did He know?  When He was a child running through the fields with His playmates, did He know then?  As a boy, when He was left behind in Jerusalem and later found teaching in the temple, did He know He was God then?  Mary and Joseph certainly knew – or at least they knew He was ‘Emanuel’ – did they, at some point, tell Jesus who He was?  Did Jesus just wake up one morning and realize He was God?  
Is it okay to ask ‘curious’ questions such as this?  Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 04:37:42 PM »

Wow....is there really anyway to know when He knew?  Undecided

Seems He knew when He was teaching because He makes mention of doing His fathers work.

I would venture to guess He knew when He was humanly able to grasp it.  He obviously knew He would be before the earth was even made, but I guess one could only wonder about the limits of His human understanding and when He realized He was the Christ.

Add this one to the long list of other questions I will have to ask when I finally see Him face to face... Cheesy

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 09:47:42 AM »

I had a thought I want to research about this.  Jesus said something to the effect of "I do always the will of my Father..."  I'm curious as to the tense of the verb do in that verse, as well as always.  I think that would help in understanding this question.  Yet I'd cop out and answer that He was fully God and fully man.  The man learned.  God knew.  Alleviates confusion, but then, I could be wrong!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Layman Bairn

Christ who is our life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 01:05:03 PM »

All,

An excellent question and one I have recently considered. My thoughts were that mary "pondered these things in her heart" and she and Joseph may not have spoken the cicumstances of His birth to young Jesus.  I have considered that His "My Father,s business", at twelve years old, was a shining through of who he was, but I tend to think that His full awareness came with John"s baptism and the decending of the Spirit upon Him. This is sort of borne out by the nature of the temptations that He (Jesus) went through immediately after His baptism. The temptaions were ones that seemed to be aimed at the issue of deity i.e. "if you are the Son of God" etc.

just my 2 cents worth.

Agape
Bairn

Col 3:3-4
3. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4.When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
jesusavedme

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 12:38:17 PM »

Jesus was fully God, fully Man.  As God, obviously He always knew He that was God.  When exactly the Man knew is the question.  This probably happened when Jesus' fleshly body matured enough to the point where it had the capacity to understand the Spirit inside of Jesus.  Regardless whether or not anyone accepts this post or not, nothing articulated so far in this debate shold be particularly alarming.  We all believe that Jesus was God from and for eternity.  That's the important thing.  The rest, I believe God will reveal as we get closer to Him.  We shall grow in grace and knowledge... for now, at least the foundation is sure.

God bless...
Audax

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:13:14 PM »

This is a totally interesting question.  In reference to Hebrews, which tells us Christ is a perfect sympathizer with us since He was human aswell- though Christ was God, the veiling of His Deity really did just that.  It veiled His deity so that His humanity was the primary aspect of His earthly existence. Though this is a vague subject I feel it's most consistent to see Jesus as having a transcendent knowledge only through the Holy Spirit, through faith.  I agree that Mary and Joseph would have also been a part of the process of His coming to know who He was, but I feel that it is primarily an issue of His faith in His Father, and the witness of His parents, John the Baptist, and and The voice of the Father from heaven at His baptism and the transfiguration.  That's one of the things I personally find so tantalizing and beautiful about Jesus is that He shows us that God's love is concrete and real.  That the human situation isn't something God is afraid of.  He took flesh on and veiled His deity out of love Phil. 2.  That's heroic.

Ben
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the