Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Study Material
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Study Material  (Read 1719 times)
Cashrader

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 05:16:16 PM »

Hi all, I need some guidance.  I am very new to the Christian faith and would like to buy some study/reading materials, new bible etc. ( I am amazed at how you quote the bible they you do).  I'm looking for some suggestions. I prefer something that not only has the verse but has a explanation as to what it means, I would like something that is meant for mothers, singles, newly divorced peson, that can work as a guide or has specific verses for spefic issues.  Are there such books?  I have so many questions as to what means what and who.  I've gone to book stores and the options are endless.  Any advice/suggestions would be greatly apprecated.  
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 06:33:19 PM »

Hi all, I need some guidance.  I am very new to the Christian faith and would like to buy some study/reading materials, new bible etc. ( I am amazed at how you quote the bible they you do).  I'm looking for some suggestions. I prefer something that not only has the verse but has a explanation as to what it means, I would like something that is meant for mothers, singles, newly divorced peson, that can work as a guide or has specific verses for spefic issues.  Are there such books?  I have so many questions as to what means what and who.  I've gone to book stores and the options are endless.  Any advice/suggestions would be greatly apprecated.  

Cashrader,

Each denomination has their preference on "which" bible is the best.  I use the NAS study bible.  It's very old and out of print now.  The New American Standard Bible isn't out of print, just my edition of it.  I don't know about the new NAS study bible.  They vary in price.  The more you pay for them, the better the binding and the longer they'll last.  As you move along in the faith, you'll purchase many versions.  I have a King James, Amplified, Living, Parallel and several others.  They mostly say the same thing but in a different way.  Some would argue and say they don't say the same thing.  I don't think you can go wrong in purchasing a New American Standard Study Bible.

As far as having everything explained to you, I don't think you'll find a bible that does.  Look for a church that has a bible study group.  Also, there are books out there called "Commentaries".  They are just that, a comment on a certain book of the bible by some great christians.  There are a zillion commentaries out there.  The one that was recommended to me was the Matthew Henry Commentary (a 5 volume set ).  I don't know if they've updated it, but I wouldn't recommend it because of how it reads---not real easy.  It's definitely an excellent commentary but not the easiest.  Someone else here will probably be able to help you out.  Maybe-----BEP.  Ask him.

You will need a Strong's Concordance.  You can look for any verse in the bible with a concordance. Take a look at one in the bookstore.  For example, let's say you partially remember a verse but can't find it.  You'll start with one of the words you remember and look it up in the concordance.  You'll find the verse you're looking for this way.

Take a look at "Vines" Expository dictionary.  You'll eventually probably buy some type of dictionary. Just start out with a really good "study" bible, first.  A concordance probably, second.  A bible study group would be very helpful to you.

Amazon discounts all these books.  So does CBD (Christian Book Distributors).  These are internet only stores.

There's a website that has a bible on the internet.  It's called the NET Bible.  You could probably just type in NET Bible in your search window and come up with their website.  One can also buy the NET Bible in book form from them. Their footnotes are entensive.  Take a look at it on the internet first.  I've heard both pros and cons on this translation.  I have it and purchased it because of all the footnotes. I'm not recommending it as a first bible because it doesn't have the words of Christ in red.  Personally, I like His words in red.

Well, I've given you a little bit of info.  Hope some of it helps.  There are so many bibles and books out there, it can be confusing.

cris

Cashrader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »

Thanks Cris...your suggestions are very helpful and give me a place to start.  I think that's probably the hardest part is finding a place to start.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the