Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Reaching out international students
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reaching out international students  (Read 1859 times)
Ammie

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 03:31:42 PM »

Hi,
My group is trying to reach out more international students. Anyone can give me an idea to reach out them or any opinion that we should focus or be aware? Now we do some activities with international students but still not many of them involve with our group.

Thanks !
Ammie
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »

Hello Ammie,

I hope that you don't mind me moving this to "Questions and Answers" so that more people will see it. This really isn't a Bible study, so it is more appropriate there anyway.

I think that most people will need more information before they will be able to provide input. Are you talking about doing one-on-one work with International students going to school in the U.S., or are you talking about doing work by mail or some other long distance method?

Several in my family give room and board to International students while they go to school here. If this is something that you are interested in, I can get more information for you. This is usually arranged in advance through Christian organizations.

Or, maybe you are talking about doing some on campus Christian work. There are many Christian organizations that actively do this for many colleges. Off the top of my head, I think about The Navigators and Campus Crusade for Christ.

Give us some more information, and I'm sure that we can come up with some ideas for you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

I Corinthians 1:9  God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ammie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:16:15 PM »

Hello, Tom
Sorry that I posted it at the wrong place. I just realized it after I posted it and didn't know how I could delete it Smiley

I was an international student at Murray State University and I am going to help "Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship" at Murray State University. So what I am looking for is doing Campus Christian work with international students at Murray State University. We have some international students involving with Chi Alpha and we are trying to reach out more. Right now we have some activities with internatinal students such as conversation classes, roadtrips. I am trying to think about what we can do more to get international students connected with us. You can look at our website www.murrayxa.com

Thank you so much Smiley
Ammie
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:05:46 AM »

Ammie,

I am very happy to learn about your Christian ministry at Murray State University. I just came from your web site, and all I can say is two things:  1- AMEN!  2- I will pray for your ministry.

It makes me very happy to hear about young adults who are allowing God to work in them and through them, especially on a college campus. I like to compare the attempt to build a life with the Biblical description of building a house. Without God, it is a labor in vain. One is built on the rock of Jesus, and one is built on the shifting sands. It makes me extremely happy to hear about young adults who are trying to help others build lives on the solid rock of Jesus. Education is very important, and JESUS is the most important topic.

I read about your Christian activities, and I was very impressed. Your group does sound much like the Navigators and Campus Crusade for Christ. I really think that you could get some good ideas from them and maybe even adopt some of their activities and materials. Maybe you could even form some sort of partnership with them. I know that the Navigators are all over the world. One of my cousins has been working for them for over 30 years. He is currently working in Mexico. One of his daughters and her husband are doing the same thing, and they are currently in Chile. His mother works with Chinese immigrants coming to the U.S.

I hear the same thing over and over again from many in my family who work as missionaries all over the world:  1- Mentorship  2- Spending personal time with individuals or groups to help them with their biggest needs (obviously including JESUS).

Everyone has a need to feel wanted and loved. I understand there is a feeling of being alone by many International students because they are different in many ways (i.e. language, customs, dress, etc.). I think that Christian kindness and love is one of the best gifts you can give them, obviously including JESUS who doesn't see the differences. JESUS can be the common denominator in forming Christian fellowship, even if you don't speak the same language. This is difficult and requires a lot of effort by people with different languages, but it is possible.

A hug or a smile is International. I'm thinking about an informal adopting process of becoming a brother, sister, and friend. This is a lot of work and requires a great deal of Christian love, but the rewards from the fellowship are also great. I see language classes as one of your activities, and that is very necessary. You could add some simple things in the brother, sister, and friend area (i.e. cultural exchange, music, walking to classes, introducing them to others, enjoying music together, studying for classes and the Bible together, etc.)

I hope that I've given you some ideas at least. I'll ask some family members for more ideas.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 8:12  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the