Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is God omnipotent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is God omnipotent?  (Read 1524 times)
tqpix

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2005, 12:59:12 AM »

This is a favorite that is used among unbelievers to prove that God can't be omnipotent:

"Can God build a rock so heavy that he himself could not lift it?  If God is omnipotent, then he should be able to do it.  If he cannot, then he is not omnipotent."

This is assuming that an omnipotent can do everything. Definition of omnipotent:

om·nip·o·tent
adj.

Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.

n.

1.  One having unlimited power or authority: the bureaucratic omnipotents.
2.  Omnipotent God. Used with the.

Notice that no where does it say in the definition of omnipotent that an omnipotent being can do everything. That is not the definition of omnipotent. The truth is that an omnipotent being cannot do everything.

God can make a rock so heavy that other people could not lift it, but no matter how heavy he makes the rock, he is able to lift it.  That is because an omnipotent being cannot lower his power--this defeats the definition of omnipotent. An omnipotent being cannot make himself weak or inferior; doing so would involve the omnipotent lowering his power. The definition of omnipotent says that the omnipotent must have full power (i.e. all-powerful) at all times. Since an omnipotent being has unlimited power, he, therefore, cannot limit his own power.

Thinking that an omnipotent can strip himself of his own power is like thinking that an invincible being can defeat himself: According to that logic, an invincible person should be able to defeat himself, because he is incapable of losing to anybody--even to himself. If he cannot defeat himself, then he is not invincible.

in·vin·ci·ble
adj.

Incapable of being overcome or defeated; unconquerable.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 01:14:33 AM by tqpix » Logged
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:59:42 AM »

Very well put. However, I believe God has unlmiited power, but that doesn't mean that He has to use this power. It simply re-inforces God's Sovereignty over everything. Yes, i said over everything, including man. We can assume that an omnipotent can do everything, but it would also be fair to assume that the omnipotent would be able to control His power. Not putting a limit on it per say, but bringing it under His control. Which I believe God does. However, i'm not an expert in this field, nor do I claim to be, but i just thought i'd throw out a few thoughts. Smiley

God Bless

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 11:36:29 AM »

silver wrote:
God’s eyes are too pure to look on evil (Hab 1:13).  

nana:
Hab 1:12 ¶ Are You not from aforetime, Jehovah our God, my Holy One? We shall not die, Jehovah, for You have appointed him for judgment. And, my Rock, You have established him for correction.
13 You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, and You are not able to look upon vexation. Why do you look on those who deal deceitfully? Will You be silent when the wicked swallows one more righteous than

I believe that this is referring God not doing evil from an evil heart - as in sin.  Man looks at or sees sin and does it because he is evil minded [unregenerated by the Holy Spirit].  Jesus said that evil comes from the heart where evil thoughts and actions originate [Matt 12:35]

God does do evil and has created evil - but it is not because He is evil, but rather evil deeds against those who receive judgment from Him, Who is Righteous and Who is the Judge of all.

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.

Isa 66:4 I also will choose their vexations; and I will bring their fears to them; because I called, and no one answered; I spoke, and they did not hear. But they did the evil in My eyes, and chose that in which I had no pleasure.

2Ki 21:12 Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Behold, I [am] bringing [such] evil upon Jerusalem and Judah, that whosoever heareth of it, both his ears shall tingle.

Silver wrote:
Yes tqpix, you are correct in saying that an omnipotent being cannot do everything.

nana:
From my little puny perspective, the only thing that God cannot do is sin.  Other than that, the discussion is really a moot point.

If God created the universe, is Infinite, Boundless, cannot be contained, is Unapproachable Light, is the Almighty One, the Holy One, the Redeemer, the Alpha and Omega, etc ad infinitum - how can you say He cannot do everything?

If He created the rock, He sure can lift it - DUH!!!!!!!!!!

Job 41
1 ¶ Can you draw out the leviathan with a hook, or hold down his tongue with a cord?
2 Can you put a reed rope into his nose, or pierce his jaw with a thorn?
3 Will he multiply pleas for help to you; or will he speak soft words to you?
4 Will he cut a covenant with you; will you take him for a slave forever?
5 Will you play with him as with a bird; or will you tie him up for your maidens?
6 Shall your partners bargain over him; shall they divide him among the merchants?
7 Can you fill his skin with barbs, or his head with fishing spears?
8 Put your hand on him; remember the battle; you will not do it again!
9 Behold, his hope has been made false; will he not be cast down at the sight of him?
10 None is so fierce as to dare to stir him up. Who then is able to stand before Me?
11 ¶ Who has gone before Me that I should repay? All under the heavens, it is Mine!
12 I will not keep silent as to his limbs, or the matter of his powers, or the grace of his frame.
13 Who can take off the face of his covering; who can come with his double bridle?
14 Who can pry open the doors of his face? Terror is all around his teeth.
15 The rows of shields are his pride, shut up with a tight seal;
16 one is so near to another that no air can come between them;
17 they are joined to one another; they clasp each other, so that they cannot be separated.
18 His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are as the eyelids of the dawn.
19 Out of his mouth go burning torches; sparks of fire fly out.
20 Smoke goes out of his nostrils like a boiling pot fired by reeds.
21 His breath kindles coals and the flame goes out from his mouth.
22 Strength abides in his neck and terror dances before him.
23 The folds of flesh cleave together, cast firm on him; he cannot be moved.
24 His heart is cast hard as a stone, even cast hard as a piece of a lower millstone.
25 The mighty are afraid from his arising; from the crashings they miss the way.
26 The sword overtakes him, but will not hold firm, nor the spear, the dart, or the javelin.
27 He counts iron as straw, bronze as rotten wood.
28 A son of a bow cannot make him flee; slingstones are turned to stubble by him;
29 darts are counted as stubble; he laughs at the shaking of a javelin.
30 Points of potsherds are under him; he spreads sharp marks on the mire.
31 He makes the deep boil like a pot; he makes the sea like a pot of ointment;
32 he makes a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be grayheaded.
33 There is nothing like him on earth, one made without fear.
34 He beholds all high things; he is king over all the sons of pride.

whoa . . .  Grin

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 02:09:28 PM »

Very well put. However, I believe God has unlmiited power, but that doesn't mean that He has to use this power. It simply re-inforces God's Sovereignty over everything. Yes, i said over everything, including man. We can assume that an omnipotent can do everything, but it would also be fair to assume that the omnipotent would be able to control His power. Not putting a limit on it per say, but bringing it under His control. Which I believe God does. However, i'm not an expert in this field, nor do I claim to be, but i just thought i'd throw out a few thoughts. Smiley

God Bless

Joshua

Amen!  Do I believe in an ominpotent God?  Yup!  But I believe in the God far more than the omnipotence.  He is unlimited in His power, but misuse of that power would make Him not be God.  Knowing God, is understanding the omnipotence that God has.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 03:51:08 PM »

God Omnipresent---------

Could we literally take the verse in the bible that says Jesus is the light of the world and apply it here? I'm talking about light as energy, the light God created before creating the sun, moon and stars.  I know someone will say God didn't create Jesus, since God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are One.  God and the Spirit of God created up until Gen:1:26 then God said, "Let US make man in Our image."  This is just something I've thought about.  

Anyone else?

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »

Okay, I'll just re-phrase it.  Father, Son and Holy Spirit are One and have been since the beginning (which I believe).  The question was, could we take the verse that says Jesus is the light of the world and apply it literally to light, in reference to His omnipresence?  

This should probably be another thread------------
Another thought on Genesis 1-25 and then on to 26.  1 thru 25 says, "Let there be" and then 26 says, "Let Us create".  Maybe it's just that He created out of NOTHING everything except man.  He created man out of the dust of the earth, which, then again, He originally created out of nothing (the earth, that is).  It seems He spoke everything into being, except man.

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 01:47:29 PM »

How about:  If God was small enough for me to understand Him, He wouldn't be big enough to be God.

touche`   Grin   Grin   Grin

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 10:42:09 PM »

How about, God is what God is.................

[size=22]GOD[/size]

Colossians 1:16 “For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him.”
Bob

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the