Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Two Minutes With The Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 370 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Minutes With The Bible  (Read 338366 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2005, 03:19:52 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST

Mar 8

THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST

By Cornelius R. Stam

The last great book of the Bible opens with the words:

"The revelation of Jesus Christ," and from these words it derives its title: "The Revelation." In this book St. John deals largely with the return of Christ in glory to judge and reign.

II Thes. 1:7,8 tells us that one day "the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven... in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that... obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ." This is what the book of the Revelation is basically about. But this phraseology is also used in Paul’s epistles, for in Gal. 1:11,12 he says:

"I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not after man, for I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

Surely this is not the same "revelation of Jesus Christ" of which John wrote. St. Paul refers not to "the revelation of Jesus Christ" in glory, but to "the revelation of Jesus Christ" in grace while He delays the judgment; not His revelation to the world in person, but His revelation to the world through Paul the chief of sinners, saved by grace. In Verses 15,16 of Gal. 1, the Apostle says: "...it pleased God... to reveal His Son in Me." What a revelation of grace to a sin-cursed world when God saved Saul, His bitter, blaspheming enemy! He tells about it in I Tim. 1:13-16, where he says:

" was a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious... Howbeit, FOR THIS CAUSE I OBTAINED MERCY, THAT IN ME FIRST JESUS CHRIST MIGHT SHOW FORTH ALL LONGSUFFERING, FOR A PATTERN TO THEM WHICH SHOULD HEREAFTER BELIEVE ON HIM TO LIFE EVERLASTING."

This is why Paul says: "...it pleased God... to reveal His Son in Me." By saving the chief of sinners (as Paul calls himself in I Tim. 1:15), God would show us that He is willing to save any sinner, "for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13).

Subscribe at:
http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/twominut.html
Two Minutes With The Bible

Reply:
If you would like to ask a question or make a comment regarding the content of this article, please email:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:
One year's worth of Two Minutes With The Bible daily devotional articles are also available in book form, along with many other Bible study materials, in the Literature Corner section of our website at:
https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/literature

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - EVOLUTION AND SIN

Mar 9

EVOLUTION AND SIN

By Cornelius R. Stam

"For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now" (Rom. 8:22).

Modern evolution, of course, denies the Bible account of the fall and has much to say about "the ascent of man," but evolution fails to account for, indeed, assiduously evades, that which lies at the very root of all man’s troubles: sin. It fails to explain adequately why man finds himself weak, poor, miserable, distressed, corrupt, perishing, and it fails to explain why he is so utterly helpless to lift himself from this state. It fails to explain his inherent sense of blameworthiness; indeed insists he has no cause for a "guilt complex."

Every man feels within himself a disorder, a positive dislocation of things, which science -- and certainly the theory of evolution -- is unable to explain. Only the Bible account of the fall explains it and shows how all man’s trouble and distress arise from his own nature, which is fallen and corrupt.

"...BY ONE MAN SIN ENTERED INTO THE WORLD, AND DEATH BY SIN; AND SO DEATH PASSED UPON ALL MEN, FOR THAT ALL HAVE SINNED" (Rom. 5:12).

It is most important for the unsaved to learn this lesson; to learn that it is not merely our sins, but our sin that makes us unfit for the presence of God; not merely our deeds but our nature; not merely what we have done, but what we would do because we are essentially sinful as the children of Adam.

How profoundly grateful we should be, then, that God loves us despite our sins and our sinful natures, and that... "...God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom. 5:8).

"In whom we have redemption, through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace" (Eph. 1:7).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
If you would like to ask a question or make a comment regarding the content of this article, please email:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:
One year's worth of Two Minutes With The Bible daily devotional articles are also available in book form, along with many other Bible study materials, in the Literature Corner section of our website at:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2005, 08:37:24 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - GRACE TODAY AND TOMORROW

Mar 10

GRACE TODAY AND TOMORROW

By Cornelius R. Stam

Paul learned what thousands upon thousands of God’s saints have learned from his day to ours: that it is often more blessed to experience God’s grace in suffering than to enjoy deliverance from suffering, for in the former case we lean the harder and pray the more, and so are drawn closer to Him. Moreover, we find that His strength is made perfect in weakness and that when we are weak, then are we strong (II Cor. 12:9,10).

But even better things are in store for God’s people:

Some day, "in the ages to come," God will display to all the universe "the exceeding riches of His grace." How will He do this? "In His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:7).

Dear reader, have you accepted the grace of God in Christ Jesus? Do you believe that He loves you and that He "came into the world" to bear all the blame and shame and punishment that was your due, so that you might be "justified freely by His grace" (Rom. 3:24)?

If not, will you take Him at His Word now and come to know the truth of II Cor. 4:15:

"For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God."

Whatever your past; however great or many your sins, take God at His Word. Believe that He loves you in spite of all. Believe that He has already provided the payment for your sins in Christ:

"In whom we have redemption. through His blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace" (Eph. 1:7).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2005, 12:28:08 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - Sad, But True

Mar 11

Sad, But True

By Paul M. Sadler, President

Scripture Reading:

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."
  -- I Corinthians 10:12

Heard a story told by a Grace Believer who met another Grace Believer in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge.

"I was standing in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge admiring the view when another tourist walked up alongside of me to do the same.  I heard him say quietly, as he took in the beauty of the view, 'What an awesome God.'

"I turned to him and said, 'You a Christian?'  He said, 'Yes, I am a Christian.'  I said, 'So am I,' and we shook hands.

"I said, 'Are you a liberal or a fundamental Christian?'  He said, 'I am a fundamental Christian.'  I said, 'So am I,' and we smiled and nodded to each other.

"I said, 'Are you a Covenant or dispensational, fundamental Christian?'  He said, 'I am a dispensational, fundamental Christian.' I said, 'So am I,' and we slapped one another on the back.

"I said, 'Are you an early Acts, mid-Acts or late Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?'  He said 'I am a mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.'  I said, 'So am I' and we agreed to exchange Christmas cards each year.

"I said, 'Are you an Acts 9 or 13, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?'  He said, 'I am an Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.'  I said, 'So am I' and we hugged one another right there on the bridge.

"I said, 'Are you a pre-trib, or post-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?'  He said, 'I am a pre-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.'  I said, 'So am I,' and we decided to exchange kids for the summer.

"I said, 'Are you a 12 in or 12 out, pre-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian?'  He said, 'I am a 12 in, pre-trib, Acts 9, mid-Acts, dispensational, fundamental Christian.' "I said, 'You heretic, and I pushed him off the bridge!'"
  -- Author Unknown

The above is sad but all too true, with the exception of being pushed off a bridge, although some may have even considered that!  Of course, the shoe could have been on the other foot; that is, the weary traveler might have held the 12 out position -- heaven forbid!  The point is, no matter how deeply our convictions may run on secondary issues, they should never disrupt our fellowship together.  Issues such as: Are the 12 in or out of the Body of Christ?  Was Paul the author of Hebrews?  Should we observe holidays?  Was Paul in or out of the will of God in Acts 21?  Where did the Church begin -- Acts 9, 11, or 13?  And on and on we could go.

Our Fellowship in Christ must rest solely on the Fundamentals of the Faith and the Doctrines of Grace found in Ephesians 4:4-6.  There is no room for further discussion on these matters.  On other areas of the Word of God where we may find ourselves in disagreement, let us "agree to disagree" in a Christ-like manner.  This will help maintain the unity of the Spirit among us and glorify God in the process.

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2005, 05:19:13 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - THE RACE SET BEFORE US

Mar 12

THE RACE SET BEFORE US

By Russell S. Miller

As another New Year dawns its always wise to give the Scriptures our careful attention so as to please the One who paid the ultimate sacrifice on account of our sins at Calvary, our wonderful Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

It is not that we merely wish to please Him, but our gratitude should manifest itself in the lives we live for Him. It was indeed for this reason that the Apostle Paul has so much to say about "the race set before us".

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us" (Heb.12:1).

As I opened my Bible in the study of this subject I discovered that the word "race" [agon], here, is only found in the following verses, having to do with the athlete in the race, rather than the course itself:

Philippians 1:30: "Having the same conflict which ye saw in me...."

Colossians 2:1: "...what great conflict I have for you...."

I Thessalonians 2:2: "...we were bold in our God to speak unto you the Gospel of God with much contention".

I Timothy 6:12: "Fight the good fight of faith...."

II Timothy 4:7: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith".

Hebrews 12:1: "...the race that is set before us".

On the other hand, the Greek word stadion, "they which run in a race", is translated "furlongs" (the 220 yard dash), five times in our Bibles (Luke 24:13; John 6:19; 11:18; Rev. 14:20; 21:16) and, surprisingly only once in Paul's epistles where it is rendered "race" (ICor. 9:24).

The Apostle does not refer to the course, here, which the contestants ran in their Greeks games, but to the Christian life.

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain" (ICor.9:24).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2005, 08:11:08 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - FORGIVENESS THAT CANNOT BE REVOKED

Mar 13

FORGIVENESS THAT CANNOT BE REVOKED

By Cornelius R. Stam

Centuries before Christ, the Psalmist said: "If thou, Lord, shouldst mark iniquities... who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with Thee..." (Psa. 130:3,4).

It is doubtful whether the Psalmist understood the basis upon which a just God, through the ages, has so graciously forgiven sins, but this has since been revealed in the Epistles of Paul.

There we read: "God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you" (Eph. 4:32). But this is only part of the truth, for God forgives sinners, not merely because Christ desires this, but because Christ paid for their sins and purchased their redemption. Thus Eph. 1:7 declares: "In [Christ] we have redemption, through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace."

And thus Paul could proclaim to his hearers in the synagogue at Pisidian Antioch:

"Be it known unto you, therefore, men and brethren, that through this Man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

"And by Him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses" (Acts 13:38,39).

Obviously such forgiveness can never be rescinded or revoked, for it is based upon the full and complete payment of our whole debt of sin by "the precious blood of Christ."

Sad to say, many people do not feel they need forgiveness, for they have not seen themselves as they truly are in the sight of a holy God, but those who are conscious of their sins and are willing to say with the prodigal son: "I have sinned," may experience the peace and joy of sins forgiven by faith in Christ who paid sin’s penalty for us.

Here is forgiveness that can never be revoked because it is based on the "one offering [of Christ at Calvary]" by which our Lord "hath perfected forever them that are sanctified [i.e., set apart as His own]" (Heb. 10:14).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2005, 03:55:23 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - I WASNT PRAYING RIGHT

Mar 14

I WASN’T PRAYING RIGHT

By Cornelius R. Stam

We were having supper in a restaurant in Albany, Georgia, and had just given our waitress a gospel tract. This brought about an incident we shall probably never forget. The young lady was married and had one child, though still a teen-ager, but she was a sincere believer and had already learned one lesson which is bound to enrich the life of any Christian.

About ten months previous her little baby, only two months old, had become seriously ill. The little one was taken to the hospital but his condition worsened daily. "I was on my knees so much those days," said the young mother, "begging the Lord day after day not to take my little child, and I guess I got a little bitter one night when the doctor warned me in a kind way not to expect too much.

"I went home again and began claiming promises from the Lord, when it dawned on me that I hadn’t been praying right. All of a sudden it came to me, and I said: ’Lord, I’m your child and I know perfectly well that you wouldn’t do anything to harm me, so please help me just to trust you and to understand that whatever you do is for my good.’

"I felt better then," she said, "and I guess the Lord just wanted me to learn that lesson, because what do you think! The very next morning when I went to the hospital one of the nurses came to me almost dancing. She said: ’Honey, your baby’s going to live. The crisis is over. You should see how well he’s doing!’ And he was! You should have seen him! And you should see how fine and healthy he is now! "I’m so thankful. And believe me, I’ve learned that lesson, and won’t go demanding things from the Lord again."

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2005, 03:56:22 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - "THE JUDGE OF ALL THE EARTH"

Mar 15

"THE JUDGE OF ALL THE EARTH"

By Russell S. Miller

Two Thousand Years ago a certain Man, innocent of all wrongdoing, was taken into custody by the authorities, given a trial in which He was charged of crimes He had not committed, and even when "no fault" could be found in Him, He was condemned to the cruelest death that man could invent.

Now it should not be supposed that simply because these Two Thousand Years have passed that this terrible miscarriage of justice will not be avenged in the Highest Court! Nor should it be supposed that everyone who has had a part in this travesty will escape the judgment of this Court!

You may think you know nothing, at all, about this event. But you are still guilty of His blood, and it behooves you, now, to cry unto Him, "the Judge of all the earth", for mercy and grace, in, what cannot be otherwise, your impending and eternal doom!

His name is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour, who, in the greatest of love and grace, paid our debt of sin, Himself, on the Cross of Calvary.

Though He was crucified at the hands of wicked men, Jews and Gentiles are guilty of His death. But more, it was your sins, your lifestyle, that nailed Him to the Cross, so you are not innocent in this matter, but guilty as charged. Yet because He not only was innocent of all wrongdoing, but righteous in all that He did, the grave could not hold Him. Death had no claim upon Him. Consequently, by His own Almighty power He arose from the dead; and alive forever more, He is seeking for all those who had a part in His crucifixion.

Now it seems to me that the wisest thing that any man could do under such circumstances is to plead for mercy from this Court of Justice. Because this Man, whom you have crucified (your sins also nailed Him to the cross), is alive, and He is coming again to take vengeance upon all mankind.

Jesus Christ is The Judge of All the Earth!

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2005, 06:09:24 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - GODS FAITHFULNESS AND OURS

Mar 16

GOD’S FAITHFULNESS AND OURS

By Cornelius R. Stam

Many people suppose that salvation is God’s reward to those who do their best to live good lives. This is not so, for God’s Word says of those who are saved:

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" (II Tim. 1:9).

Referring to this "salvation which is in Christ Jesus," St. Paul says: "It is a faithful saying, for if we died with Him, we shall also live with Him" (II Tim. 2:10,11).

In other words: The believer, viewing Calvary aright, has "died with Christ." Viewing the Cross, he has said: "This is not Christ’s death. He was no sinner. He had no death to die. He is dying my death!" And so by faith he is "crucified with Christ" (Gal. 2:20). The penalty for all his sins has been fully paid, for he died -- in Christ, and thus has also risen with Christ "to walk in newness of life" (Rom 6:3,4).

This is all God’s doing, and only now is the believer in a position to do good works that will please God. Thus the Apostle writes of believers, in II Tim. 2: "If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him: if we deny Him, He also will deny us" (Ver. 12). When the believer’s service for Christ is reviewed some, indeed, will "receive a reward," but others will "suffer loss," though they themselves will "be saved, yet so as by fire" (I Cor. 3:14,15).

It will be deeply embarrassing, in that day, for unfaithful Christians to face empty-handed the One who gave His all, Himself, to save them. Yet salvation is by grace, thus the Apostle hastens to conclude his statement in II Timothy 2, with the words:

"If we are unfaithful, yet He abideth faithful: He cannot deny Himself" (Ver. 13)

Thus our rewards as believers depend upon our faithfulness, but our salvation, thank God, on His!

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - LITTLE GIRL, ARISE

Mar 17

LITTLE GIRL, ARISE

By Cornelius R. Stam

I was addressing an Assyrian audience on the raising of Jairus’ twelve-year-old daughter by the Lord Jesus Christ, and using the narrative to illustrate how God, through His Word, gives resurrection life to those who are "dead in trespasses and sins."

I had as my interpreter the incomparable Bedour Hanush Afraim Kassab, but there was one point in the narrative where my audience needed no interpreter. I will explain.

It so happens that Aramaic, spoken by our Lord on earth, is almost identical to Assyrian and there is one small phrase in the story where our English Version presents the very words our Lord spoke to Jairus’ daughter: "Talitha cumi," or "Little girl, arise."

Now it also happened that in our audience there was a little Assyrian girl who, like Jairus’ daughter, was twelve years old. As I told of Jairus’ anxiety for his dying daughter and his anguish at the news of her death, the little Assyrian girl could understand nothing; she had to wait until my words were interpreted into Assyrian. But when I got to the words "Talitha cumi" she needed no interpreter. Leaping from her chair she stood looking at me with eager, sparkling eyes, as if to say: "What do you want of me? What can I do now?"

Like Jairus’ daughter, our little girl had heard and understood just those three words and had applied them to herself. So it is with those who have received "life in Christ." "Dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1), they paid little heed to the Word of God (I Cor. 2:14), but one day, by the enabling power of the Holy Spirit, they did take heed and believe some simple gospel passage, like "Christ died for our sins" (I Cor. 15:3) and, applying it to themselves, were "raised to walk in newness of life" (Rom. 6:4).

Nothing would please us more than if some reader should thus apply the gospel of God’s grace to himself and receive eternal life. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and THOU shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - WHAT IS A CHURCH?

Mar 18

WHAT IS A CHURCH?

By Cornelius R. Stam

It is strange but true that most people -- even the great majority of religious people -- do not know what a church is. Ask the average man what a church is, and he’s apt to reply: "Well, anybody knows that! A church is a building where people go to worship God." But this is not correct. The word translated church, in our Bibles, simply means assembly. A church is not a building, but the assembly that meets in the building. Technically, a church is not even a religious gathering, for the same word is used in Acts 19:32 of a riotous mob which had assembled at Ephesus, and this verse says that this assembly was confused and that "the greater part knew not wherefore they were come together."  Perhaps this could apply to many a church today, but the point is that a church is not a building but an assembly of people.

The church of which the Bible has most to say is "the Church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood" (Acts 20:28), and St. Paul calls the church of this present dispensation, "the Body of Christ," or "the Church which is His Body" (I Cor. 12:27; Eph. 1:22,23).

Men cannot join this Church by water baptism or any other religious rite, but only by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. With regard to believers in Christ St. Paul declares: "By one Spirit are we all baptized into one Body" (I Cor. 12:13). And in Rom. 12:5 the Apostle says that "ye, being many, are one body in Christ."

Many sincere people have had their names on local church rolls for many years before learning this great truth   -- that the true Church of God is not a building, but the assembly of those who trust in Christ as their Savior.

Doubtless, people in and out of many of the religious organizations we call churches belong to this one great Bible Church, while others, with all their religious profession, do not. The question is: Have we sincerely trusted in Christ as the Savior who died for our sins?

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2005, 12:02:13 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - THE GIFT OF GOD

Mar 19

THE GIFT OF GOD

By Cornelius R. Stam

Men have given many gifts to each other down through the ages, but in James 1:17 we read that "every good gift and every perfect gift is from above," and comes to us from God. The greatest of these gifts is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the redemption He has purchased for us. In speaking to the sinner-woman at Sychar’s well, our Lord drew a picture, contrasting the barrenness of her own life with the refreshing joy of salvation, saying:

"If thou knewest THE GIFT OF GOD, and who it is that saith to thee, Give Me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of Him, and He would have given thee living water... Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again, but whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst..." (John 4:10-14).

By nature we are all sinners, but by the grace of God we all may be saved.

"For the wages of sin is death, but THE GIFT OF GOD is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom. 6:23).

"For by grace are ye saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is THE GIFT OF GOD: not of works, lest any man should boast" (Eph. 2:8,9).

Thus St. Paul speaks of "the gift of the grace of God" (Eph. 3:7) and constantly emphasizes the fact that salvation is a free gift.

But a gift is not possessed until it is accepted. Thus the Apostle, in Rom. 5:17, refers to those who "RECEIVE abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness." Those who receive Christ and the salvation He has wrought for them, find it natural to exclaim with Paul - "THANKS BE UNTO GOD FOR HIS UNSPEAKABLE GIFT!" (II Cor. 9:15).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »

Two Minutes With The Bible - MERCY TO ALL

Mar 20

MERCY TO ALL

By Cornelius R. Stam

Years ago, during Mussolini’s invasion of Ethiopia, I asked a class of boys: "Who is the most respected, most honored, most loved man of all history?" Immediately hands shot up, as one said this and another that. One boy said Mussolini was the most beloved and honored, but the others laughed at that idea. Finally, one sincere-looking lad said: "Jesus." But he was as far off as the one who had suggested Mussolini.

We wish that our Lord were as greatly honored, respected and loved as He should be, but He is not. Rather He is widely rejected and blasphemed, while many are hypocritical in pretending to worship Him.

Without question the most honored, most respected, most loved man of all history is Abraham, proudly owned as "father" by millions of Jews, millions of Mohammedans and millions of professing Christians. Clearly this is why God used this man to demonstrate to all mankind how we may be declared righteous before a just and holy God. Note what Romans 4:2,3 says about this:

"For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to boast; but not before God.

"For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."

Thus God uses the most beloved, respected man of history to demonstrate the fact that salvation is received by faith alone. And thus the Apostle concludes:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Rom. 4:5).

In every age men have been saved by doing what God commanded them to do then. Now He tells us to do nothing, but simply to trust in Christ, who died for our sins. This is God’s plan of salvation.

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2005, 04:09:58 PM »

Mar 21

THE PRIMARIES AND CHRISTIAN FAITH

By Cornelius R. Stam

The presidential primaries are now in full swing, with nearly all the candidates talking confidently about winning, but it has long been a question just how much these primaries mean. Some, indeed, have started by winning in the primaries and have gone on to become president. But others have done well in the primaries, yet have never even come close to being nominated by their own parties.

It’s something like this with faith. The primaries are like mental assent, or intellectual faith. Before a person can be saved he must, of course, know about sin and salvation and must give mental assent to what the Bible says about these things. He must agree that Christ died for man’s sins. But while intellectual faith is a good start, it is not enough to save you. You must go on from there to trust yourself to Christ, who died for our sins (I Cor. 15:3), otherwise your intellectual faith has done you no good.

God wants our heart trust; it is this kind of faith that honors Him, and it is this kind of faith that saves. In Romans 10:9-13 He says:

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt BELIEVE IN THINE HEART that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For WITH THE HEART MAN BELIEVETH unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture saith: Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed... For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." If Christ is not a risen, living Savior, He is no savior at all. We must believe this in our hearts if we are to call upon Him for salvation.

Thank God that "He showed Himself alive, after His passion, by many infallible proofs" (Acts 1:3) and that millions have indeed found the peace and joy of sins forgiven through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His redemptive work at Calvary.

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2005, 11:23:40 AM »

Mar 22

THANKSGIVING

By Cornelius R. Stam

God’s verdict upon the pagan world is that "they are without excuse, because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful..." (Rom. 1:20,21). The Psalmist, on the other hand, declares:

"IT IS A GOOD THING TO GIVE THANKS UNTO THE LORD, AND TO SING PRAISES UNTO THY NAME, O MOST HIGH:

"TO SHOW FORTH THY LOVINGKINDNESS IN THE MORNING. AND THY FAITHFULNESS EVERY NIGHT" (Psa. 92:1,2).

Believers today have even more to be thankful for than did the Psalmist, for we can rejoice in what God has done for us through Christ and His redeeming work. Thus Paul, by divine inspiration, speaks of...

"GIVING THANKS UNTO THE FATHER, WHO HATH MADE US MEET [FIT] TO BE PARTAKERS OF THE INHERITANCE OF THE SAINTS IN LIGHT:

"WHO HATH DELIVERED US FROM THE POWER OF DARKNESS, AND HATH TRANSLATED US INTO THE KINGDOM OF HIS DEAR SON" (Col. 1:12,13).

It is because of this "deliverance" that the humblest believer can cry with Paul: "Thanks be unto God, who always causeth us to triumph in Christ!" (II Cor. 2:14) and "Thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!" (I Cor. 15:57). How appropriate, then, are the following exhortations:

"In everything give thanks" (I Thes. 5:18) and "By [Christ], therefore, let us offer the sacrifice of praise... giving thanks to His name" (Heb. 13:15).

"For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God" (II Cor. 4:15).

Most of all, "THANKS BE UNTO GOD FOR HIS UNSPEAKABLE GIFT," our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! (II Cor. 9:15).

Subscribe at:

Reply:
berean@execpc.com

Literature:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 370 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the