Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Two Minutes With The Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 370 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Minutes With The Bible  (Read 338429 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5460 on: December 08, 2019, 02:05:33 PM »

Free Email Subscription

For Questions Or Comments:  berean@execpc.com

The Path Of A Good Soldier
by Pastor Paul M. Sadler

“Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.” — II Tim. 2:1,2

If we were to ask the average Christian to write down what they expect in a spiritual leader the list would probably read something like this: A man of God must have completed college and seminary. He should be eloquent and be able to articulate his thoughts well, enthusiastic, insightful, creative, and have a good sense of humor. In addition, he should not have too many shortcomings, and be well dressed.

Interestingly, just the opposite was true of the spiritual leaders found in the Scriptures. Most of the giants of the faith in biblical times were unlearned and ignorant men by the world’s standard. The Bible is a who’s who of shortcomings: Noah’s drunkenness, Moses’ speech impediment, David’s adulterous ways, Peter’s denials, Paul’s repulsive appearance, etc. Nevertheless, God used these souls mightily to the pulling down of strongholds. As it has been said, “God took a handful of nobodies and made somebodies in His sight.”

While we are an advocate of higher education, intellectualism is not a prerequisite to be used of the Lord. God has accomplished great things through those who merely had a willing heart. Timothy, for example, wasn’t educated at the Ivy League Schools of Jerusalem, nonetheless, God chose him to carry the torch of grace after Paul’s martyrdom.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: December 09, 2019, 03:16:28 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The Man Upstairs?
by Pastor John Fredericksen

In his song entitled "Unanswered Prayers," country singer Garth Brooks refers to God as "the Man upstairs." Similar phrases referring to Almighty God include: the Big Man, my Co-pilot, my Homeboy, my Golf-buddy, or simply JC. The user may not intend it this way, but such references are highly disrespectful, and reveal a lack of understanding about who and what our Great High God really is.

When the Apostle John encountered the Lord Jesus Christ, who was instructing him to write what would be revealed to him, he said, "I fell at his feet as dead" (Rev. 1:17). Notice there was nothing casual in John's response. Why? When the Lord Jesus Christ spoke, it was with "a great voice, as of a trumpet" (vs. 10). "His eyes were as a flame of fire" (vs. 14), and "His countenance was as the sun" (vs. 16).

This brief picture, and the reaction of a mere man in the presence of God, is consistent with the rest of Scripture. Isaiah says he saw "the Lord...high and lifted up" with dynamic angelic hosts attending Him crying, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of Hosts" (Isa. 6:1-3). Isaiah's response was not casual or irreverent. He said, "Woe is me! For I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips" (vs. 5).

People of old had a far greater reverence for the Lord. King David described his great God by saying, "The Lord reigneth, He is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength...Thy throne is established of old: Thou art from everlasting" (Psa. 93:1-2). He continued, "God sitteth upon the throne of His holiness" as He reigns over all men (Psalm 47:8). He's not just a co-pilot or a buddy. Balak declared, "God is not a man, that He should lie" (Num. 23:19).

The Lord tells us this is because, "...My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways...For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isa. 55:8-9). In the context of all this information, the Lord Jesus said of the Father, "Hallowed [meaning holy or sacred] be Thy name" (Matt. 6:9).

It would be appropriate to lovingly share articles such as this with lost souls who lack understanding of God's holiness and magnificence. More importantly, in humility, we believers need always to show great reverence to the Lord and to His name.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: December 10, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The Apostle Of Grace

by Pastor Cornelius R. Stam
Printer Friendly Version

Share Article:

Did you know that St. Paul was chosen by God as the apostle of grace? He was God’s great example of grace, the “chief of sinners” saved by grace (1 Tim. 1:12-16). To him was committed “the dispensation of the grace of God” (Eph. 3:2). He was sent forth to proclaim “the gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24).

Paul wrote far more about grace than any other Bible writer. All his epistles open or close (or both) with the salutation “Grace be to you.” He declares:

“We have redemption through [Christ’s] blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace” (Eph. 1:7).

He shows how this grace was planned for believers in ages past:

“Who hath saved us and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and [His own] grace which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began” (II Tim. 1:9).

He shows how this grace will be ours in ages to come:

“That in the ages to come, He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus” (Eph. 2:7).

He shows how this grace is greater than all our sins:

“Where sin abounded grace did much more abound” (Rom. 5:20).

He shows how grace gives us a righteous standing before God:

“Being justified freely by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 3:24).

He shows how God’s grace has given believers a position in heaven:

“[He] hath… made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus… for by grace are ye saved, through faith….” (Eph. 2:6,8).

He shows how God’s grace is sufficient for our difficulties and can help us to live consistent Christian lives:

“My grace is sufficient for thee” (II Cor. 12:9).

“And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work” (II Cor. 9:8).

Accept salvation “by grace, through faith” as “the gift of God” (Eph. 2:8,9), and eternal life is yours.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: December 11, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Legitimate Prayer

Prayer, in Old Testament times, was based upon a covenant relationship with God, or it was an appeal to His revealed nature as merciful, gracious, etc. Today it is based upon the redemptive work of Christ, whose death opened the way for us into the Father’s presence. This is why acceptable prayer today is offered “in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ”. With our Lord’s departure from this world in view, He said to His disciples:

“I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by Me” (John 14:6).

“Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My name…At that day ye shall ask in My name: and I say not unto you that I will pray the Father for you, for the Father Himself loveth you, because ye have loved Me…” (John 16:24-27).

Thus today we pray directly to the Father in the name of the Son.

Our prayers, however, are often faltering and sometimes the way is so dark before us that we do not even know what to ask for. Thus Paul declared: “We know not what we should pray for as we ought”(Rom. 8:26). But he was quick to follow this with the declaration:

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose” (Rom. 8:28).

This is why the Apostle Paul encourages God’s people:

“Be careful [anxious] for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God:

“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:6,7).

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” (Heb. 4:16).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: December 12, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »

Free Email Subscription

The New Creation

In Romans 5:12 God tells us how we are all related to the first man, Adam:

“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin… so death passed upon all men…”

This verse clearly indicates that every child born into the world since Adam has partaken of Adam’s sinful nature.

Parents sometimes wonder why their children act as they do. The answer is simple! Every child is related to rebellious Adam by physical birth, and soon rebels like Adam, whose offspring he is.

In Scripture we are told that God “commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom. 5:8).

When you are in trouble and someone comes to your aid, are you not automatically drawn to that person? Should we not then be attracted to the One who cared so much for us that He “made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross” (Phil. 2:7,8)?

Through natural birth we partake of the sinful natures of our parents back to Adam, and frequently we even have the same physical features as our parents. How touching, then, to know that the Lord Jesus Christ took on Him “the likeness of men” (apart from sin) and, as the God-man, died for our sins upon the cross, where sinful men (people like us) nailed Him! As we recognize this and place our faith in Him, a spiritual birth takes place and we become the children of God (John 1:12). More than this, we become members of the Body of Christ, God’s new creation, for “if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation” (II Cor. 5:17). “created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained, that we should walk in them” (Eph. 2:10).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: December 13, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »

Free Email Subscription

True Riches In Christ

To know God through Christ and His redeeming work is to be rich indeed.

The Scriptures have much to say about the infinite riches of God. They tell us of “the riches of His glory” (Rom. 9:23; Eph. 3:16), “the riches of His wisdom and knowledge” (Rom. 11:33), “the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering” (Rom. 2:4) and “the riches of His grace (Eph. 1:7; 2:7). God would have us enjoy these riches through faith in Christ, who died for our sins.

“For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty might be rich” (II Cor. 8:9).

We should rejoice continually that God, in addition to being rich in wisdom and knowledge and in glory and power, is also “rich in mercy” (Eph. 2:4) and that “the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him, for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Rom. 10:12,13).

To St. Paul, the chief of sinners, saved by grace, God revealed the greatest riches of all. Paul said: “Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints is this grace given, that I should preach among the nations the unsearchable riches of Christ” (Eph. 3:8). These riches include, among other things, “all the riches of the full assurance of understanding” (Col. 2:2). How wonderful to have an intelligent understanding of God’s plan of salvation and of all He has purposed in His heart of love for those who accept the salvation He has provided through His beloved Son!

True riches are not comprised of material things. The Scripture calls these “uncertain riches” and warns us not to trust in them (I Tim. 6:17). True riches is “to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge” and so to be “filled with all the fulness of God” (Eph. 3:19).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: December 15, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Light Out Of Darkness

“For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

“But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us” (II Cor. 4:6,7).

Any instructed Christian reading this passage from the pen of the Apostle Paul naturally goes back in his mind to the time when God first said: “Let there be light,” and dispelled the darkness of the primeval world.

He might also recall the incident related in the book of Judges, when Gideon’s army went to battle against the Midianites, each man with a sword in one hand, and a lamp hidden within a pitcher in the other. At Gideon’s command the soldiers broke the earthen vessels and the lights shone out to strike terror into the hearts of the enemy, who could not account for the crash and the blaze of light at this midnight hour.

For every believer God has caused light, wonderful light, to shine out of the darkness and fill the heart, just as once He said to the dark and chaotic earth: “Let there be light — and there was light.”

But we believers have come into “the light of the knowledge of the glory of God” by coming to know Christ. Our Lord rightly said: “No man cometh unto the Father but by Me” (John 14:6). God is unknown and unknowable apart from Christ, who is God manifested in the flesh. It was He who lived a perfect life and then died a sinner’s death in order to bring us into relationship and fellowship with God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: December 16, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Why Not Reverend?
by Pastor Paul M. Sadler

"Why is it that you never refer to yourself as 'Reverend' (Rev.) or 'The Reverend'? I must add that I totally agree with not using the title."

In the Old Testament "reverend" is an adjective referring to the One who was to be revered. The Psalmist says, for example, "He sent redemption unto His people: He hath commanded His covenant forever: holy and reverend is His name" (Psa. 111:9). The term is clearly used here to describe the honor of His name. The name Jehovah was so high, so holy, so revered that the Hebrews changed the pronunciation of it fearing the curse of the law:

"And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord [Jehovah], he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger" (Lev. 24:16).

The Scriptures are very clear that we are to hold those in high esteem who have rule over us in spiritual things (I Thes. 5:12,13; Heb. 13:17). While they are indeed worthy of our recognition, the fact is, the very best fall short of the calling. Furthermore, we never want to give the impression that "The Reverend" is in any sense the final authority. Instead, it should be every spiritual leader's desire that believers study the Word of God, which is the final authority.

Since the designation of "reverend" is such a lofty description that only God is worthy of, we believe ministers of the gospel should avoid its use. We should, however, give our due respect to those who proclaim the riches of His grace among us. This is the Lord's way of encouraging them in the faith.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: December 17, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Reflections on Ephesians

There is no epistle in which we find more about the grace of God than that great and wonderful epistle of Paul to the Ephesians! It is one of his prison epistles and, interestingly enough, he was actually and literally in jail for telling a secret, the secret of the mystery (Eph. 6:19,20). Evidently he had a great deal of opposition in trying to make this secret known. That's rather unusual, isn't it?

The Ephesian epistle was probably written about 64 A.D., and was evidently sent by the hand of a man named Tychicus (6:21,22), along with two other letters, one to the Colossians (Col. 4:7-9), and that to Philemon (Col. 4:7-9 cf. Phile. 10-12). Never, never were more valuable documents entrusted to human hands!

Now, in the earlier epistles of Paul, we learn a great deal about dispensational change and development, but in Ephesians we have arrived, and find ourselves on the highest, broadest spiritual ground. Here the Holy Spirit reveals to us, in all their fullness, those blessed truths which distinguish this dispensation from others.

For example, the mystery or the sacred secret is here revealed in all its fullness. He says that this secret is now made known (1:9) through him (3:1-3), but it is for all to see (3:9), for it concerns our close relationship to Christ (5:30,32). And since Satan will oppose the proclamation of this secret, boldness is needed to proclaim it (6:19,20).

In this epistle, the one Body of Christ, the Church of this dispensation, is emphasized throughout. The whole body, he says, is the fulness, the complement, the fulness of Christ (1:23). He says God is making one new man today (2:15), reconciling Jews and Gentiles to Himself in one body (2:16), a joint body (3:6), in which we are to keep the unity of the Spirit (4:3,4). The Body, he says, must grow up, and it must build itself up in love (4:11-16). Christ is the Head of the Body, and its Savior (5:23), and we are the members (5:30). How close that brings all believers to each other! How close it brings us to Christ!

Our position in the heavenlies is prominently brought out in this epistle. We read that, immediately upon conversion, we are blessed with all spiritual blessings in the heavenlies (1:3). We're told that God's power in raising Christ from the dead and exalting Him far above all is now extended to us-ward who believe (1:19-21). Positionally, he says, we've already been raised from the dead and seated in the heavenlies (2:6). Now, he says, it is ours to occupy this position by faith, as a witness to the principalities and powers in the heavenlies (3:10). Hence we must wrestle with the rulers of the darkness of this age, wicked spirits in the heavenlies (6:12). And for this, he says, we're going to need the whole armor of God (6:10,11).

In this epistle, all is grace. Read Ephesians and see how it is permeated with grace. Even the salutation speaks of grace and peace (1:2). Compare that with what we read about the second coming of Christ to this earth, where He will come to judge and make war (Rev. 19:11). Grace and peace is the exact opposite of judgment and war! Thank God He hasn't declared war yet. He hasn't visited this world in judgment yet. He still offers to sinners everywhere, and to saints, of course, in greater measure, grace and peace.

Now the doxology--oh, what a doxology of grace! The doxology in the Ephesian epistle is the longest of all of Paul's doxologies, and in the original it is his longest sentence. We're blessed because we are chosen by God the Father to the praise of His glory (1:4-6). We're made accepted in the Son to the praise of His glory. We're sealed by the Spirit to the praise of His glory. Glory to the triune God! Glory for His grace!

We read individual things, too, about the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All throughout this epistle, everything emanates from the Father. The Father is always the source. The Father has chosen us (1:3,4) according to the good pleasure of His will (v. 5), according to the riches of His grace (vv. 6,7), according to His good pleasure (v. 9), according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will (v. 11), according to the working of His mighty power (v. 19), and according to His eternal purpose (3:11). There's more about that in the epistle, showing that everything finds its source in the will of God.

Then we see how our salvation centers in the Son. He's always the second person in the Trinity. His place is always in the midst. We read, for example, that we're blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ (1:3), and have redemption through His blood (v. 7), in whom we are greatly enriched (v. 11), in whom also we are saved (v. 13), and sealed (v. 13). Think of that! We are in Christ, and because of His finished work, the believer is sealed until the day of redemption.

Then we come to the Spirit. It all comes down to us through, or by the operation of, the Spirit. We're sealed by the Spirit (1:13), and we have access to God the Father by the Spirit (2:18). We are an habitation of God through the Spirit (2:22), and we're strengthened by the Spirit (3:16). We must not grieve the Spirit (4:30), but rather bear the fruit of the Spirit (5:9). We must be filled with the Spirit (5:18), use the sword of the Spirit (6:17), and we must pray in the Spirit (6:18).

What a tremendous, tremendous epistle!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: December 18, 2019, 07:52:30 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Have You Heard?

“If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward” (Eph. 3:2).

Could it be that those to whom Paul addressed his Ephesian letter had not yet heard that God had committed to him “the dispensation of grace”?

Next to the death and resurrection of Christ, the conversion of Paul and his commission to proclaim “the gospel of the grace of God” was the greatest event in history . The apostles at Jerusalem had recognized the importance of Paul’s part in the divine program. They themselves had at first been sent by Christ into “all the world,” yet in Gal. 2:9 we find James, Peter and John publicly shaking hands with Paul in a solemn agreement that he should henceforth be the apostle to the nations.

Could it be that some twelve years later, when he wrote the Ephesian letter, there were any who professed the name of Christ who had not heard of Paul’s special place in the program of God as the apostle of grace? Little wonder his words “if ye have heard” carry with them a touch of reproach.

It is possible, of course, that there were some among them, but recently brought into the Church, who had not heard, but what seems utterly incredible is that there should be even one believer at this late date who has not heard that after Christ and His kingdom had been rejected and the world was ripe for prophesied judgment to fall, God intervened, saving Saul, His chief enemy on earth, and sending him forth with “the good news of the grace of God.”

This good news is based, of course, upon the fact that since Christ was the spotless Lamb of God, His death is accepted by God as full satisfaction for the sinner. Thus Paul, by divine inspiration, declares that believers are “justified freely by His [God’s] grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 3:24).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: December 21, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Paul, The Pattern

Many religious people take the Lord Jesus Christ as their pattern in life. They call Him “The Great Example”. When problems arise, they ask themselves: “What would Jesus do?” They seek salvation by “walking in His steps”.

While our Lord’s moral and spiritual virtues are indeed worthy of emulation, there were many details in His conduct which we should not imitate. For example, none of us would be in a position to pronounce upon the religious hypocrites of our day the bitter woes which our Lord pronounced upon the Pharisees of His day — simply because we all have so much of the Pharisee in us.

Certainly we cannot be saved by “following Christ,” or striving to live as He did. His perfect holiness would only emphasize our unrighteousness and condemn us. He came to save us, not by His life, but by His death. “CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS” (I Cor. 15:3), and sinners are “reconciled to God by the deathof His Son” (Rom. 5:10).

But God has given us a pattern for salvation. It is none other than the Apostle Paul, the chief of sinners saved by grace. Hear what he says by divine inspiration:

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, THAT CHRIST JESUS CAME INTO THE WORLD TO SAVE SINNERS, of whom I am chief” (I Tim. 1:15).

Paul, as Saul of Tarsus, remember, had led his nation and the world in rebellion against God and His Christ. He was “exceedingly mad” against the disciples of Christ and “breathed threatening and slaughter” against them. Why then, did God save him? He goes on to tell us in the next verse:

“Howbeit [but] for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show forth all longsuffering, FOR A PATTERN to them which should hereafter believe on Him to life everlasting” (Ver.16).

The moral: Take your stand with Paul. Admit you are a sinner and his Saviour will save you too.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: December 21, 2019, 03:32:02 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The Kaiser's Surprise
by Pastor Ricky Kurth

In his comments on Isaiah 57, Dr. Harry Ironside shares this story:

Years ago, before the First World War, Professor Stroeter, a well-known prophetic teacher in Germany, used to go through the country giving lectures, and using charts to unfold the dispensations. His lectures attracted the attention of the German Emperor, Kaiser Wilhelm, who in spite of his many idiosyncrasies, was quite a Bible student, and used to preach in the palace chapel on many occasions.

The Kaiser invited Professor Stroeter to his palace to give him an idea of what he was lecturing upon. The professor was taken into the library and spread a roll of his charts out on the table. The Kaiser followed him as he pointed out various things in the dispensations until the Second Coming of the Lord. After a lengthy conversation the Kaiser said, "Do I understand you aright? Do you mean to say that Jesus Christ is coming back literally, and that when He returns all the kingdoms of the world are going to be destroyed and He will set up His kingdom on the ruins of them all?"

And Professor Stroeter said, "Exactly, your Majesty…."

"Oh, no," said the Kaiser, "I can't have that! Why that would interfere with all my plans!"

We don't know if Professor Stroeter understood the dispensations well enough to have expressed to the Kaiser that the coming of our Lord to rapture His church must come before the wrath of the Tribulation and the Second Coming of Christ (I Thes. 1:10; 5:9). Regardless, what a frank admission from a man who professed to be a student and teacher of the Word of God!

How about you, dear reader? If you are not saved, you will be left behind when the Body of Christ is "caught up" to meet the Lord in the air (I Thes. 4:17). While we believers will "ever be with the Lord" in heaven, the seven years of Great Tribulation that will follow on earth will surely interfere with all that you have planned. Why not trust the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior by believing that His death, burial and resurrection paid for all of your sins. Then you too can look forward to being a part of all that the Lord has planned for His saints.

But we close by asking Christians if the Rapture will interfere with your plans, or be the triumph of His grace in your life? When John Wesley was asked what he would do the following day if he knew the Lord were coming, he replied that he would rise at his usual hour, spend time in his regularly scheduled morning devotions, and arrive promptly at his first speaking engagement of the day. In other words, he wouldn't have to change a thing in his life to prepare for the coming of the Lord. May this be true of us too!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: December 21, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »

Free Email Subscription

What's Happened Since 1909?

Printer Friendly Version

Share Article:

In 1909 Dr. C. I. Scofied wrote the following passage in the Introduction to the Scofield Reference Bible:

“The last fifty years have witnessed an intensity and breadth of interest in Bible study unprecedented in the history of the Christian Church. Never before have so many reverent, learned and spiritual men brought to the study of the Scriptures minds so free from merely controversial motive. A new and vast exegetical and expository literature has been created….”

Even the years that followed the writing of this passage produced many great Bible expositors, but their number has since dwindled fast, until today evangelistic-revival campaigns have all but replaced the great, thrilling Bible conferences of some decades ago.

Regardless of the popularity of such campaigns, however, the Church will not make true progress, either in spiritual power or in the number of genuine converts to Christ, until it once again places due emphasis on the Word of God, both in private study and in public ministry.

Unpopular but vital Bible doctrines have stopped many preachers and Bible teachers short and have hindered them from bringing to the Scriptures “minds free from merely controversial motive,” largely because the price of standing for these truths has seemed too great. But until it is the sole passion of men of God to know THE TRUTH and make it known, true revival will not come, for the Church has never made one step of progress apart from progress in the study of the Word.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: December 22, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Grace, Faith And Salvation

The largest segment of the organized Church has long opposed the teaching that salvation is by grace, through faith alone. She teaches that it is by grace, through faith and good works, protesting that we do not place the proper stress on good works, and that she does place as much emphasis upon grace and faith as we.

One advocate of this religious denomination agrees that men cannot be saved without Christ or faith or grace, but objects that the grace of God, accepted by faith in Christ, is not enough to save.

He says: “All men are born in original sin, and all must be cleansed by Baptism. In Baptism, Grace is implanted in the soul by God and confers the right to heaven.”

But what about the thief on the cross, who looked to Christ in his dying moments and never had an opportunity to be baptized? Was he not saved? (See Luke 23:42,43).

If, according to Heb. 10:4, it is not possible for the blood of bulls and of goats to take away sins (even though required by God), could this writer explain to us how any amount of water could possibly wash away one sin or right one moral wrong?

But one might gather from the above quotation that the baptized soul at least is safe and secure, since the grace implanted by God “confers the right to heaven.” But not so. “The Church” never gives her devotees true peace or assurance; never sets them free. “The right to heaven,” conferred upon the baptized person, is the right to strive for it! This writer goes on to say, “We worship God by the practice of our religious duties in order to obtain our salvation.”

How satisfying and reassuring is the Word of God itself on this subject:

“Now to him that worketh [i.e., for salvation] is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

“BUT TO HIM THAT WORKETH NOT, BUT BELIEVETH ON HIM THAT JUSTIFIETH THE UNGODLY, HIS FAITH IS COUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS” (Rom. 4:4,5).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: December 24, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The Wonder Cure

Most of us remember the drugstore product which swept the country like wildfire years ago and netted one man more than $3,000,000.00 in one year. It was called Hadacol. Whatever was wrong with you, Hadacol could cure it! Radio commercials and newspaper advertisements acclaimed its healing powers. Some small drugstores displayed signs over their doors reading, “MAIN ENTRANCE FOR HADACOL.”

One humorous story was told at that time about a woman who was supposed to have testified over the radio: “Before I began taking Hadacol I couldn’t read nor write; now I’m teaching high school!”

Some people seem to think that Christianity is like Hadacol was supposed to be. In fact, some evangelists give the erroneous impression that if one accepts Christ everything will suddenly go right. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Christian life is a battle, and we cannot win this battle without much diligent, earnest Bible study and prayer. In fact, it is this battle that makes the Christian life rewarding. Formerly we were “taken captive by [the devil] at his will” (II Tim. 2:26), but now God provides us with complete armor, including “the sword of the Spirit” and “the shield of faith” (Eph. 6:16,17), and says, “Stand fast.” Indeed, James 4:7 says: “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”

God has enlisted every true believer in His “armed forces,” as it were, and He encourages us each one to be “a good soldier of Jesus Christ” (II Tim. 2:3). Indeed, He expects this of each corporate assembly of believers as well, for Paul, by divine inspiration, wrote to the Philippian saints:

“Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind, striving together for the faith of the gospel” (Phil. 1:27).

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 370 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the