Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Two Minutes With The Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 370 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Minutes With The Bible  (Read 337940 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: March 30, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »

Free Email Subscription

For Questions Or Comments:  berean@execpc.com

Reward Or Loss
by Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

Fortunately, salvation is by grace, through faith, and we do not doubt that even in the dark ages many were saved in spite of their blind leaders and their limited knowledge.

However, we fear that the spiritual leaders of our day will fare little better than the leaders of their day when they appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ, for they have certainly not taken heed to build according to the plans and specifications committed to Paul as God’s appointed “masterbuilder” of the Church (I Cor. 3:10).

Just think a moment. Is the Church today mostly composed of “gold, silver and precious stones” (morally and spiritually), or of “wood, hay and stubble” (I Cor. 3:12)? Surely many a man who enjoys prominence and popularity today will weep in that day to see his works go up in flames, as it were (I Cor. 3:13). It will be a dreadful thing to “suffer loss” when the rewards for Christian service are given out (Ver. 15).

Christian ministers, missionaries, evangelists, Bible teachers, we appeal to you in behalf of a stricken Church. They are God’s building — we are the builders (Vers. 9,10). “We are laborers together with God.” What a calling! Paul, as an instructed “masterbuilder,” has given us the plans and specifications in his epistles. We should be intelligent workmen; workmen whom God can approve, who will not need to be ashamed when the divine Building Inspector examines our workmanship.

There is only one way. Take your hand off the public pulse (Gal. 1:10), cease giving so much attention to organizing and advertising — and compromising — and begin to diligently, prayerfully obey II Tim. 2:15:

“Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth.”

We will not always be praised for teaching the Word of God, rightly divided, but God’s blessing is worth far more than human acclaim.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: March 30, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The Spirit Of Faith

It is thrilling to hear the Psalmist, though “greatly afflicted”, say: “I believed, therefore have I spoken”(Psa. 116:10).

It is thrilling too, to see the Apostle Paul, though “troubled… perplexed… persecuted… cast down… alway delivered unto death for Jesus’ sake” — it is thrilling to see him take his stand with David and to hear him speak of having “THE SAME SPIRIT OF FAITH”, adding: “WE ALSO BELIEVE AND THEREFORE SPEAK” (II Cor. 4:8-13).

If only all who believe the glorious message of God’s grace: that believers in Christ are accepted in Him, pronounced “complete” and baptized into one body by one divine baptism — if all who believed these truths would speak out today, there would be a sweeping revival tomorrow in the Church, the Body of Christ. If, putting all other considerations aside, they would openly and honestly say: “WE ALSO BELIEVE AND THEREFORE SPEAK”, the results would be as refreshing as far reaching. And they should speak, for this is “the spirit of faith”.

But, alas, there are few who possess “the spirit of faith”; few who will stand, regardless of consequences, for the light God has given them. Some maintain a discreet silence because of the “fear of man”; others because they love “the praise of man”. Both say: “One must be careful what one says, for these truths are not popular”, but both alike are guilty of unfaithfulness to God and the truth.

With God’s help, let us not be among them. Let us, where the truth is concerned, stand with David and Paul and say: “WE ALSO BELIEVE AND THEREFORE SPEAK!” Let us be among those who truly possess “the spirit of faith”, who are determined to “stand fast in the faith” and ready to “fight the good fight of faith” (I Cor. 16:13; I Tim. 6:12).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: March 30, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Satisfaction Should NOT Be Guaranteed
by Pastor Ricky Kurth

One thing for sure about the Apostle Paul, he was never satisfied with the spiritual condition of the saints. Nowhere is this more evident than in his words to the church at Thessalonica:

“But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you…indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more” (I Thes. 4:9,10).

Did you catch that? After acknowledging that the brotherly love of the Thessalonians was so great that it had spilled over into the surrounding regions of Macedonia, rather than congratulate them, the apostle begged them to “increase more and more.” When it came to wanting God’s people to grow in the Lord, there was no end to the Apostle Paul! In this he reminds me of my father, who was never satisfied with the level of success that he had attained at any point in his life.

Years ago, my brother (who was Dad’s partner in his tool and die business) was telling me about the tremendous growth that their machine shop had experienced after I left to work for Pastor Stam at Berean Bible Society. It was no coincidence, by the way, that the shop really took off after I left, for I was never a very good toolmaker! But after hearing of the exponential growth that my father’s business had experienced, I remarked to my brother, “Dad must be very happy about all this.” Shaking his head, my brother replied with words that I will never forget, saying, “There is no end to Dad. He wants to buy more machines, hire more people.”

That was certainly my father. When the state lottery began in Illinois, he mentioned to an old friend who worked at his shop that he had bought a ticket. This friend, who had known my dad for years, just laughed at him, and asked, “What would you do if you won the lottery? You wouldn’t retire like most people, you’d just buy more machines!”

Beloved, that’s the way to achieve greatness in any field of endeavor. Never be satisfied! Paul wasn’t satisfied with the surpassing love of the saints at Thessalonica. Don’t you want to be like Paul? Are you satisfied with the level of your spiritual growth? Are you begging God to help you attain pinnacles of spirituality that would make an angel gasp? No matter what area of your spiritual life needs to flourish, are you willing to pray about it right now?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: March 30, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The End Of The World

There has been a great deal of discussion lately about some Hindu astrologers who have predicted that this world will come to an end this February. The fact is that some sincere Christians fear that these prophets might be right, since our Lord did speak several times about the coming “end of the world.”

These Hindu astrologers, however, are wrong. This February will not see the end of the world, for according to the Bible the world, or earth, will never come to an end. The word “world,” which our Lord uses in this connection, does not refer to the earth, or even the people on it. It is the old Greek word aion, or age. Several ages in God’s program have already come to an end, and others will, but no matter what destructive weapons man may devise, the earth will never be destroyed. In Isaiah 45:18 we read:

“For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens: God Himself that formed the earth and made it; He hath established it; He created it not in vain; He formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord, and there is none else.”

But doesn’t Rev. 21:1 predict “a new heaven and a new earth”? Yes, but the context clearly indicates that this refers to the future renewing of the present heaven and earth, not the creating of different ones. Verse 5 says:

“He that sat upon the throne: said, Behold I make all things new.”

Note: He didn’t say “I make all new things,” but “I make all things new.” There is a difference.

We should not be concerned about the end of the world, but rather about the end of this present age in which we live under “the dispensation of the grace of God,” for God has never promised how long this will last. Every hour He delays the return of Christ to recall His ambassadors, is an hour of wonderful grace, in which men may be saved by grace, through faith in Christ who died for our sins. This is why Paul urges us:

“We then, as workers together with [Christ], beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain…. Behold, now is the accepted time; Behold, now is the day of salvation” (II Cor. 6:1,2).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: March 30, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Growing Spiritually
by Pastor John Fredericksen

It is kind of exciting to watch our children go through periods of growth.  Parents can usually detect it.  When growing, children’s appetites can easily double or triple.  Without being told, they often take much more time for rest or sleep.  Physically, you’ll soon notice your child’s limbs have grown longer (making it obvious it’s time to buy them new clothes—again), and their whole appearance begins to change.  What is even more thrilling is when you witness a real growth in their maturity too.

When the Apostle Paul wrote to believers in Thessalonica, he could praise them by saying, “your faith groweth exceedingly” (II Thes. 1:3).  Now, how did he know they were growing spiritually?  It was easy, because three things were evident in them.  First, he told them their “charity [or love] of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth” (II Thes. 1:3).  No growth in this area equals little or no growth at all.  Second and third, they exhibited “patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations” (II Thes. 1:4).  It takes spiritual life and growth to react positively toward negative circumstances.  But these believers were growing enough spiritually that they endured wrongs, not for doing wrong, but for the cause of Christ, and they did so without losing their cool or faith in God’s care.

The spiritual growth of these believers should come as no surprise.  They had “received the Word of God…not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe” (I Thes. 2:13).  It seems they had a real appetite for the Scriptures, regularly took time for it, and allowed the truths they were learning to transform the way they lived.

This passage should cause each of us to ask ourselves, “Am I growing spiritually?  I ought to be and need to be growing in Christ.  I’ll know for sure if I’m growing in the Lord by the presence of these three qualities exhibited in the saints at Thessalonica.  Am I growing spiritually?”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: April 01, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »

Free Email Subscription

The Stars Of Messiah's Reign

“And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever” (Dan. 12:3).

The day is coming when redeemed Israel and all the saints of the Old Testament times will taste the joy of Messiah’s glorious reign. But some — the wise — will be honored more than others and will shine in that day as the stars of the firmament.

Who are these “wise” ones? Our text answers: “They that turn many to righteousness”. Not those who merely knew all the technicalities of the prophetic program, but remained unmoved, but those who, understanding the prophetic plan and recognizing that God must judge sin, did something about it and labored to turn many to righteousness.

These will be the stars of Messiah’s reign.

What a lesson this passage holds for us who have trusted Christ as our Saviour in this present “dispensation of grace”!

When we stand before the Lord, all saved by His abundant grace, not all will be equally honored. Outshining the rest will be “the wise”, who, understanding God’s message and program of grace and, “buying up the time because the days are evil” (Eph. 5:16), URGED THE LOST TO ACCEPT “the gift of righteousness”by faith in Christ. Of these we may well say by way of adaption:

“And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: April 01, 2017, 06:26:58 PM »

Free Email Subscription

It Makes All the Difference

We once had a friend named Richard, a handyman who fixed small motors and engines. He had a faithful dog that kept him company everyday in his shop. This dog excitedly jumped to greet Richard, and then followed him around like a shadow, giving him affection, and acting like she thought he was the best man in the world. One day while observing all this, I complimented the dog. Richard smiled and said, “You know, she’s the same every day and after all these years, she’s never complained once.”

It’s a shame more people don’t have the same kind of disposition that Richard’s dog had: a good attitude. But it is possible. Remember God’s prophet Daniel? When Nebuchadnezzar conquered Jerusalem, Daniel, along with others, was taken captive to Babylon. In this process, he was forcibly stripped of his freedom, homeland, name, and ultimately his manhood (Daniel 1). He was placed in the charge of “the prince of the eunuchs” (1:7), which meant he was castrated to make him a safer subject in proximity to the king and his realm. Daniel could have responded to all these brutal events with anger and resentment, but he didn’t. The queen described Daniel as one who had “an excellent spirit” (5:12). It was because of this quality that Daniel had been elevated to “master” of the king’s magicians and astrologers. As the king observed Daniel, he elevated him further for his good attitude. Daniel 6:3 states, “Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm.”

A famous preacher once commented that he believed attitude was more important than facts, education, money, circumstances, failure, or skill, that it will make you or break you.* Proverbs 17:27 says it this way: “He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.” Like Daniel, each of us can make a conscious choice to have a good spirit, or attitude, no matter what our circumstances. We can choose not to complain, be bitter, resentful, or negative. We can choose to exalt our Savior with not just a good attitude but with “an excellent spirit.” Is this going to describe you today?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: April 06, 2017, 03:35:57 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Are There Apostles Today?
by Pastor Ricky Kurth

“I realize there are no apostles today, but could you give me Scriptural back-up for this?”

“The church which is His Body” (Eph. 1:22,23) is “built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets” (Eph. 2:20), referring to grace apostles and prophets (I Cor. 12:28,29). This means that the work of an apostle was foundational in nature. If 2000 years later we are still laying the foundation of the Church, there is something seriously wrong!

Apostles and prophets could speak for God by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, speaking verbally with the same inspired authority that Paul experienced when he wrote his epistles. Paul could not be everywhere at once, and so God needed prophets who could speak with the same authority he enjoyed as he wrote his epistles. Once the Bible was complete, however, “that which is perfect” was come, and the gift of prophecy ceased (I Cor. 13:8-10). Once the gift of prophecy ceased, of course, there were no more apostles and prophets. Within the pages of His Word, God has said all that He needed to say. This is why He closed the Book by pronouncing a curse on any who would add to what was written therein (Rev. 22:18.).

With this in mind, it is not just wrong to call a man an apostle today, it is dangerous. Today no man can demonstrate “the signs of an apostle” (II Cor. 12:12), and no man can speak with the authority of the written Word of God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: April 06, 2017, 03:37:29 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Our Weakness and God's Power

When our Lord was on earth He healed great numbers of sick and diseased people. The believers at Pentecost also healed many in the name of Jesus, offering to Israel His return from heaven upon condition of their repentance (Acts 3:19-21).

All those who were healed, however, finally succumbed to physical infirmity or disease again and died after all. This was because the Lord Jesus was rejected as King, not only in His incarnation but also in His resurrection. Rom. 8:22,23 declares the result as we see it in our own day:

“…we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit [that is], the redemption of our body.”

But Christians in “this present evil age” often need physical infirmity to draw them closer to God in prayer and faith. Paul himself said:

“…there was given to me a thorn in the flesh… lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And He said unto me: My grace is sufficient for thee, for My strength is made perfect in weakness” (II Cor. 12:7-9).

The Apostle’s response to this shows how well he understood that suffering and weakness are an important part of Christian discipline.

“Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me… I take pleasure in infirmities… for when I am weak, then am I strong” (II Cor. 12:9,10).

“For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a for more exceeding and eternal weight of glory” (II Cor. 4:16,17).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: April 06, 2017, 03:38:27 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Small Talk

“This is some weather we’ve been having.”  While there is nothing wrong with the “small talk” about trivial things that occupies much of our interaction, based on the Book of Titus, the Apostle Paul would almost certainly encourage us to cultivate conversations about bigger and more important things.

Paul told Titus to “speak thou the things which become sound doctrine” (2:1).  In other words, Paul wanted this co-worker to consciously talk about meaningful things that would ground the saints in truths for today and encourage them to live for the Lord.  Paul instructed the “aged men” to act like men of real spiritual maturity (2:2).  That meant to purposely serve as examples to follow in godliness.  Paul specifies areas of conduct such as being serious-minded, sound in doctrine, loving, and patient; but the context seems to imply he also wanted their discussions to be weighted with spiritual content.

Paul likewise urges the “aged women” to pay careful attention to sound, godly behaviour that “becometh holiness” (2:3).  But he also tells them to be teachers, or to talk to young women about proper, godly living within their home and marriage.  Paul instructs Titus to speak to the “young men” about the importance of being consistently serious-minded about living for the Lord, so that they serve as an example or “a pattern of good works: [and] in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, and sincerity” (2:6-7).

Paul continues by telling Titus to constantly remind all saints to be very careful to be “ready to every good work” and to “be careful to maintain good works” (3:1; 3:8.).  It is noteworthy that Paul also tells Titus, “These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority.  Let no man despise thee” (2:15).  Here we see an anticipation that some would prefer “small talk” and not appreciate serious discussions about spiritual matters, but as a servant of Christ, Titus was encouraged to keep on talking about important things, no matter how others responded.

As we think about these instructions to Titus, we should remember to apply them to our own daily walk.  We too need to move beyond just “small talk” with other saints and cultivate discussions that will encourage true, godly living and doctrine.  When we do, our own walk can become a walk with more purpose and meaning, and we can have a positive spiritual impact on others that will be a cause of rejoicing in eternity.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: April 06, 2017, 03:39:27 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Is Revival Possible?

We have received responses from several friends who conclude from such passages as II Tim. 3:1-13 that there cannot possibly be a revival before the Lord comes for His own.

We have never concurred in this view. Verses 2-7 of this passage describe the condition of the ungodly about us. These have “a form of godliness” but not the reality and it is these who will “wax worse and worse” (Vers. 5,13). “From such” the Spirit exhorts us to “turn away” (Ver. 5).

But why, in the midst of these “perilous times” should the Church not be strong and united? The Word of God often shines brightest when the days are darkest.

It is true that our Lord said about the coming “tribulation,” that “because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold” (Matt. 24:12), but this was a prediction concerning a particular situation, and while similar causes often produce similar effects, this is not always so. Not infrequently the wickedness of the world has driven saints to their knees and to the Word, with blessed results.

True spiritual revival takes place in the blood-bought Church of God not in the wicked world about it. That which is dead cannot be revived but that which has life can and should be. We know of no Scripture that should deter us from praying for a true spiritual awakening among God’s people. Indeed we must be careful lest we cease praying and toiling for a revival on the grounds that “times are getting worse and worse and there’s not going to be, a revival.”

It seems to us that one of the surest ways to grow spiritually indifferent ourselves is to conclude that God will not grant us a spiritual awakening no matter what we do.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: April 06, 2017, 03:40:33 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Sealed With The Spirit

“In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the Word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also, after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise” (Eph. 1:13).

Most careful commentaries of the Bible make it clear that the words “after that,” in the above passage, actually have an immediate result in view. Upon hearing (or heeding) we believed, and upon believing we were sealed with the Spirit.

What is perhaps even more important to note, is the fact that upon believing “the gospel of… salvation,” we are “sealed with” the “Holy Spirit,” not “by” the Spirit. There is a difference between the two, which can be simply illustrated.

Here is a housewife, let us say, who is “putting up” jam or preserves and sealing each jar with wax. Now, the jars are being sealed by the woman, but she is sealing them with wax. Thus the Holy Spirit does not merely cause believers to be sealed and made secure. Rather He Himself is the Seal that keeps us eternally secure as God’s beloved children. We are sealed, not “by the Spirit,” but “with the Spirit,” — the Spirit Himself the Seal!

It is wonderful indeed to know that before the bar of God, the simplest believer in Christ has been fully justified (Acts 13:38,39). But this is a court action, a matter of law and justice. Besides this, the Spirit, who first brought the sinner under conviction, now gives him life — eternal life. This is why Rom. 8:2 tells us that “the law of the Spirit, [that] of life in Christ Jesus, hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” Thank God for the Spirit, who convicts, regenerates and seals every believer in Christ!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: April 10, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Redeemed

“We have redemption through His blood…” (Eph. 1 :7).

Our English word “redeem” is actually a translation of three beautiful Greek words:

Agarazo: to buy at the market.

Ex-agarazo: to buy out of the market.

Lutro: to set free (upon receipt or payment of the ransom
price.)

It is the last of these that is used in Eph. 1:7. The believer in Christ has liberty — purchased liberty — through Christ’s shed blood.

First we were “bought with a price” and “redeemed to God” (I Cor. 6:20; Rev. 5:9). Further, we were “redeemed from the curse of the law” (Gal. 3:13). And now, best of all, we have been set gloriously free (Eph. 1:7; Gal. 5:1).

Why not turn in your Bible to Ephesians 1:6-8 and read this brief passage thoughtfully to see the boundless generosity of God’s dealings with those who put their trust in Christ as their Savior.

“To the praise of the glory of His grace” God “hath made us accepted [or, hath engraced us] in the Beloved One, ” in whom we have, “redemption” and “the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace, wherein He hath abounded toward us…”

Redeemed! Purchased out of the slave market of sin and the law — and set gloriously free! Does this foster loose, careless conduct? By no means! When our Lord had given a blind man his sight, He said to him: “Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole,” but the record hastens to add that he “followed Jesus in the way” (Mark 10:52).

Could anything be more natural? And could anything be more natural than a redeemed, liberated sinner longing to please and serve his divine Benefactor? The Apostle Paul expressed this well when he wrote, in II Cor. 5:14: “The love of Christ constraineth us.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: April 10, 2017, 07:14:37 PM »

Free Email Subscription

What Was Accomplished At Calvary?

If the Bible makes anything clear, it is the fact that the secret of all God’s good news to men is centered in Calvary. It was because Christ was to die for sin that God could proclaim good news to sinners down through the ages.

It was not until some time after the crucifixion, however, that “the preaching of the cross” was widely proclaimed as a message by Paul in “the gospel [good news] of the grace of God” (I Cor. 1:18; Acts 20:24).

The proclamation of “the gospel of the grace of God” was the natural accompaniment to the revelation of the cross as the secret of God’s good news to man. In this proclamation of His over-abounding grace to sinners, everything centers in the cross.

According to Paul’s epistles “we have redemption through His [Christ’s] blood” (Eph. 1:7), we are “justified by His blood” (Rom. 5:9), “reconciled to God by the death of His Son” (Rom. 5:10), “made nigh by the blood of Christ” (Eph. 2:13), and “made the righteousness of God in Him” because “God hath made Him to be sin for us” (II Cor. 5:21).

The “covenant” of the Law was abolished by the cross (Col. 2:14), the curse of the Law was removed by the cross (Gal. 3:13), the “middle wall of partition” was broken down by the cross (Eph. 2:14,15), and believers in Christ are “reconciled to God in one body by the cross” (Eph. 2:16). Little wonder Paul calls this message “the preaching of the cross”!

To the believers it is thrilling indeed, and how thankful we should be, to see the cross as God’s reply to Satan when, at first glance, it had appeared that the cross was Satan’s greatest triumph.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: April 10, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Spiritual Understanding

Honest, prayerful study of the Word brings us to spiritual maturity and understanding. But does it not require superior intellectual powers to understand these “deep things of God”? No indeed. Superior intellects among unsaved men are unable to appreciate even the “simple” truths of the Word, for “they are spiritually discerned” (I Cor. 2:14). And as to the “mystery” made known to Paul by the glorified Lord, the Apostle declares that it is now “revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit” (Eph. 3:5).

The mystery is not merely something more difficult to grasp intellectually, for the Apostle specifically states that it is “not the wisdom of this world” but “the wisdom of God” (I Cor. 2:6,7), and that only by the Spirit of God can it be understood and appreciated. This explains why many of the humblest believers rejoice in the mystery and understand it so clearly, while so many great theologians and religious leaders fail to grasp it and keep confusing it with God’s prophesied program regarding the kingdom of Christ.

The mystery is not “hard to be understood” because men are slow of mind to understand, but because they are “slow of heart to believe,” because the devil, who “hath blinded the minds of them that believe not” also seeks to keep God’s people from seeing and rejoicing in the truth of the mystery with its riches of grace, its “one body” and its “one baptism.” This is why the Apostle prayed so fervently that the believers to whom he ministered might be given “spiritual understanding” to take in the glorious message he was commissioned to proclaim (See Eph. 1:16-19; Col. 1:9,10).

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 370 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the