Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Career vs. Faith?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Career vs. Faith?  (Read 1492 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2004, 10:39:22 PM »

A result of civilization, like insurance, is the prospect of "career".  Doing the same thing over and over again, daily, weekly, annually, and advancing in rank and/or skill.

Is this at odds with walking "by faith".  Since "career" implies planning(education), and deliberate moves in order to advance that career.

Isn't that at odds with a "faith in Jesus Christ"??

Melody
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 09:24:55 PM »

A result of civilization, like insurance, is the prospect of "career".  Doing the same thing over and over again, daily, weekly, annually, and advancing in rank and/or skill.

Is this at odds with walking "by faith".  Since "career" implies planning(education), and deliberate moves in order to advance that career.

I'm not sure how planning and working towards a career shows a lack of faith in Jesus.  The reality is that if you want to be a doctor or teacher (or any other profession requiring a college degree), you have to plan and work towards a goal.  

Melody

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:46:36 PM »

I'm not sure how planning and working towards a career shows a lack of faith in Jesus.

Hmm.  Maybe.

But I was just thinking all of the realities that one is looking at in terms of the Bible, are "head" realities.

That is, everything that the Bible talks about, OT or NT, concerns how we think.

Not what we think.

Careers, skills and professions, are all about "what" we think - how much do you know, and how you apply what you know.

But aren't necessarily at all about how one thinks.

The Bible, and I think now, all of what Jesus teaches, and the NT, is about how we think.

That's why I say there are different realities.

That's where in your statement is the departure:

The reality is that if you want to be a doctor or teacher (or any other profession requiring a college degree), you have to plan and work towards a goal.  

You say there is "...the reality", implying one reality.

And it's treated de facto, a foregone conclusion, ipso facto, or, "the fact speaks for itself".

When in truth it's only one reality.

Yes, it addresses the tangible, physical world in which we live - a linear approach.  If you want to heal an open wound, you go through the  linear steps of learning how to suture a wound.

All of man's learning is linear.  A "career" is linear.  You advance in it, one step at a time, linearly.

Faith in Jesus Christ bypasses all of that.  Or, rather, it doesn't even get to it in the first place.

That's why Jesus says to complete strangers, "Follow me".  And fishermen leave their livlihood, their business, their "careers", spontaneously.

Because following Jesus is non-linear.  There is no step-by-step sequence.  

That's the "liberty" (for freedom Christ has set you free...Galatians 5:1) we have in Christ Jesus.

I'm not saying that it's wrong.

I don't think Jesus was saying it's wrong to be a fisherman.

Or that it was wrong to make a business of fishing.

I'm pointing out differences, though, perhaps.
bballer

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 03:19:03 PM »

He made us all different, all different parts of the body, right?  You are to use the skills you have to worship Him, i.e. to serve others and His kingdom which is others.  If you can lead in a church, then lead.  If you can teach a skill that people want or need that does not contradict that faith then teach it.  What you are good at is from the Lord I believe if it's not contradicting the word.  I'm a teacher in a public school.  I have plans to change my room, education level and outside activities related to the school, but I feel God has me in the school for a reason and that's what I like.  Full term ministry is not for me.  I do minister to youth with in the church though.    
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 08:01:05 PM »

He made us all different, all different parts of the body, right?  You are to use the skills you have to worship Him, i.e. to serve others and His kingdom which is others.  If you can lead in a church, then lead.  If you can teach a skill that people want or need that does not contradict that faith then teach it.  What you are good at is from the Lord I believe if it's not contradicting the word.  I'm a teacher in a public school.  I have plans to change my room, education level and outside activities related to the school, but I feel God has me in the school for a reason and that's what I like.  Full term ministry is not for me.  I do minister to youth with in the church though.    
Amen bballer, thats very well said. Smiley

Oh yes, welcome to Christians unite forums. Grin

Resting in the Lord's arms.
Bob

Reba
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 09:17:35 PM »

Symphony,
I guess one should not plan a dinner. I guess we should just set at the table and the food will appiar appear show up?

If you are serious you might read again the  'talent' story  Matt 25:25
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 09:51:02 PM »

well, Reba, there at the end of John, the disciples get to the beach and there Jesus has their fish cooking for them already...

Cool

"Oh ye of little faith"...?

Huh

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 09:56:39 PM »

John 21:9, actually:

"When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire there, with fish lying on it, and bread."    

...and...

John 21:12:  

"Jesus said to them, 'Come and have breakfast.'"  

Grin  
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 09:57:06 PM »

Lips Sealed
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 07:37:03 PM »

*bump*

Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the