Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bush and Blair speak about mid east peace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bush and Blair speak about mid east peace  (Read 1612 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2004, 10:30:47 AM »

Bush, Blair dare to dream in Middle East

Yasser Arafat's death opens a rare window of opportunity to build a democratic Palestinian state that could live side by side in peace with Israel.

On the same day that grieving Palestinians buried their leader, Yasser Arafat, President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair met to consider regional issues - daring to dream of a democratic Palestinian state.

The goal is to have "Israelis and Palestinians living side by side in peace," Bush said.

Blair, standing alongside Bush at a White House news conference, joined in pledging to mobilize global support for Palestinian elections and creating the conditions for a democratic state. He said he and Bush "are going to work flat out to deliver this. If we want a viable Palestinian state, we want to make sure the political, the economic and the security infrastructure of that state is shaped and comes into being."

"I'd like to see it done in four years," added Bush. "I think it is possible." That is, of course, his term of office.

Arafat led the Palestinians over four decades and at his time of death he was regarded by the United States as the primary obstacle to peace with Israel. Now, many world leaders believe Arafat's death opens a rare opportunity to revive the Middle East peace process and lay the groundwork for Israel and a Palestinian state to live side by side. An election will be held in 60 days to pick a successor to Arafat as president of the Palestinian Authority. Peacemakers will have to overcome the resistance of Palestinian radicals who oppose peace with Israel at any cost.

Blair earlier proposed a conference on the Middle East early next year and called for the appointment of a special U.S. envoy. Bush was cautious about the idea, possibly because it could taint whoever succeeds Arafat as a U.S. puppet.

Bush said the U.S. would help foster the peace process but not impose it. Addressing the Palestinian people, Bush was direct: "If you want to be helped, here's what we're willing to do. If you choose not to be helped, if you decide you don't want a free, democratic society, there's nothing we can do."

Israel is willing to support a two-state solution "based on the fact that they (Palestinians) have to first stop terrorism before there is a state," according to a spokesman for Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. "Bush is putting it as a challenge to the future Palestinian leadership. The fact is that there is a new era now. (Bush) is urging them to drop the Yasser Arafat legacy."

Israeli foreign minister Silvan Shalom will fly to Washington to meet on Monday with U.S. Secretary of state Colin Powell.

Bush and Blair pledged to mobilize the international community to build up Palestinian political, economic and security institutions, thereby laying the foundation for a democratic state.

Those are noble goals and, indeed, the inescapable precursors to a lasting peace in the Middle East. But they can't be achieved without a strong and constructive Palestinian leader. The world community should work overtime to ensure the success of that vital endeavor.

Talk of peace and security in Israel continue to be heard every hour on the news.   The world is holding its collective breath as events continue to unfold in Israel.    I must admit I worry about Bush supporting the move to surrender Gods land to those it was not promised to.   However, I am well aware that all this will unfold exactly as God intends it to.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 10:41:01 AM »

Bush Quote:

"I intend to use the next four years to spend the capital of the United States on such a state," Mr. Bush said.

What exactly does he mean by this?   Sounds good, but something about that quote bothers me.   Anyone else?

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 10:42:05 AM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 11:00:44 AM »

Bush Quote:

"I intend to use the next four years to spend the capital of the United States on such a state," Mr. Bush said.

What exactly does he mean by this?   Sounds good, but something about that quote bothers me.   Anyone else?

Grace and Peace!

Sounds to me like he is willing to buy a peaceful solution (bribary?).

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 11:19:10 AM »

Just so you can read it in context....

"If we want a viable Palestinian state, we want to make sure the political, the economic and the security infrastructure of that state is shaped and comes into being," the British prime minister said. "We've got the chance over the next few months, with the election of a new Palestinian president, to put the first marker down," Blair said.

Mr. Bush didn't commit to a Mideast conference or sending a U.S. envoy to the region — two items sought by Europeans. But he did talk more optimistically than usual about the prospects for a Palestinian state.

"I intend to use the next four years to spend the capital of the United States on such a state," Mr. Bush said. "I believe it is in the interests of the world that such a truly free state develop. I know it is in the interest of the Palestinian people."

He said there was a "new opportunity" for resolving the decades-old stalemate and put the onus on the new Palestinian leadership. The United States is "looking forward to working with Palestinian leaders who are committed to fighting terrorism and committed to democratic reform," Mr. Bush said.

Arafat was viewed as a hero by Palestinians, a terrorist by Israel. Mr. Bush refused to deal with the Palestinian leader in his final years. The president sounded cool about the prospects of attending an international conference on Middle East peace. "I'm all for conferences," he said, "just as long as a conference produces something."

Entire Article here : http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/11/world/main655174.shtml

Surreal!

Tim

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 11:44:44 AM »

It does cost money to hold those conferences and to send someone to them. Perhaps that is what he was talking about?

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 11:08:10 PM »

No mention of the following news from popular media.   Note the pics at the end of the article.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-11/13/content_2214655.htm

China View Nov 13th

RAMALLAH, Nov. 13 (Xinhuanet) -- Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei on Saturday discussed with the visiting European Union (EU) Foreign policy chief Javier Solana over the Palestinian presidential elections.
   Qurei declared in an official statement after the meeting that the presidential elections to replace late leader Yasser Arafat would be held by Jan. 9, 2005, within 60 days after Arafat passed away according to the Palestinian constitution.

The prime minister also highlighted the European role in supporting the elections by creating a favorable atmosphere that would lead to a smooth process.

Qurei stressed that some measures should be taken in a bid to facilitate the holding of the elections including the Israeli withdrawal from the Palestinian cities and villages so that the Palestinians could head for the voting centers.

Israel tightened security in the occupied Palestinian lands as road blocks and checkpoints thwarted the movement of residents.

Solana, on his part, promised the European help for the coming Palestinian elections, but cautioned that the Palestinian authorities should achieve a better situation in order that the elections could take place.

The senior EU diplomat attended the funeral ceremony of Arafat in Cairo on Friday and then paid a visit to the West Bank city of Ramallah, where Arafat was buried.

Earlier on Saturday, Qurei told reporters in Ramallah that the Palestinian leadership would meet to decide and check the exact date for the elections.

Former Palestinian Parliament Speaker Rawhi Fattouh was sworn in as temporary chairman of the Palestinian National Authority on Thursday.

He will serve as caretaker chairman for 60 days until elections are held.

Arafat, who led the Palestinians for four decades, passed away at 3:30 a.m. (0230 GMT) Thursday at a French military hospital outside Paris, where he had received medical treatment for amysterious illness since Oct. 29.

On Friday, the veteran Palestinian leader was laid to rest inhis battered headquarters compound in Ramallah, where he had been besieged by Israel for nearly three years.

How about this for contrast....

Qurei and Solana after talks in RAMALLAH.

Bush and Blair after talks in Washington.

One made world headlines, the other went largely un-noticed (probably unknown if not for China View news).    One happened half way around the world.   The other happened on location.

Not trying to force anything here, just pointing out the irony of events.   Still watching!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the